Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
OK, different from what was originally reported by those who generally have pretty well placed sources within the team, and who were among the 1st to report the Shurmur hiring.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Greene is actually quite a bit more well-versed in the Dom Capers 3-4.

Greene played for Capers, for 2 years in Pit. Then a year for LeBeau. Greene then played 3 out of 4 years for Capers in Carolina.

Greene had an intern job as Asst. LB coach under LeBeau for the 2008 training. In Jan 2009 Greene was hired as LB coach in GB.

Greene has only worked for LeBeau for two years. He's been under Dom Capers for 7 years.

It's the same system, though. Just a different person teaching it. It's still the system that the Steelers have run for 30 years now.

I don't want to give up the 3-4. I don't don't don't don't!

That is what intrigued me with Greene, which is why I brought it up. I understnd he is un-proven as a coordinator but having worked with Cowher, LeBeu and Capers I am sure he has learned quite a bit. The guy was a great linebacker, has worked with numerous defensive minds and was also a military man which tells me he knows a thing or two about preparation and discipline.

I don't know if I would want to hire him because of his in-experience but a guy has to start somewhere and he is one of those type of guy's that you just take a risk with and it ends up paying off, that is the type of guy I think he could be.

I mean I know there is a difference between the experience and the level of authority but the Steelers took a chance on Tomlin and he was un-proven as a head coach, same with Raheem Morris and the Bucs. Sometimes a guy just has "It" and I think Greene has that factor.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy will remain with the team to work under new coach John Fox, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Jason La Canfora

Who's our next guy?

I've heard Zorn people here mention Zorn, which I'd be fine with because he won't be calling plays.

I think it'd be hard for Haskell to comedown and not call plays.

Greg Knapp is my 100% choice, he replaced Haskell in Seattle after Holmgren left, H ereplaced Marty Mornhinweg in San Francisco after his departure and has done well for himself. He's strictly versed in the west coast offense and between being an offensive coordinator and quarterback coach he has helped send 9 different QB's the the pro-bowl. He has worked with Steve Young , Jeff Garcia, Matt Hasslbeck, Mike Vick, Matt Schaub and he is currently the QB coach in Houston which mean he is available for hire as an offensive coordinator if he wants the job. I mentiooned him probably a page ago buit got no response so I will mention him again because for me he HAS to be the obvious choice, he doesn't even call plays now so that probably wouldn't be a problem and given his track record with helping groom QB's he could do wonders for McCoy.

The only guy's that I am dead set on hiring (and they have connections with our current staff) are Knapp as OC, the recently fired McDermott as secondary coach, keeping Seely as our special teams coach and hiring somebody....anybody who knows the 3-4 as our defensive coordinator.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
About Sean McDermott...and it kind of makes me nervous about Heckert's defensive talent evaluation. Hopefully that's just what happened with Reid having final say on personnel and not on Heckert.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20...op_defense.html

Reid failed to give McDermott the players to build a top defense

By Jeff McLane
There's a name for it now - "The Andy Reid Reversal."

On Monday, Sean McDermott was coming back as defensive coordinator, the Eagles' head coach said. Three days later, he sat down with McDermott and cut him loose.

Still, Reid's Monday praise of McDermott shouldn't have come as a surprise. For one, he isn't accustomed to immediately shoving his assistants or players into oncoming traffic - unless, of course, they're David Akers.

But Reid's faux support of McDermott more likely had something to do with the big picture.

The much bigger picture.

If Reid were to have slammed the 36-year-old on Monday after the Eagles' playoff loss to Green Bay, then he would have been indicting himself for not giving McDermott the necessary tools to build a dominating defense.

As reasonable as it is to question McDermott and his scheme, a fair assessment would have to include an evaluation of personnel. And injuries aside, the workers were average, at best.

Was it McDermott's fault that the Eagles did almost nothing to replace Sheldon Brown at right cornerback? Was it his fault that top draft picks - defensive end Brandon Graham and safety Nate Allen - suffered season-ending injuries in early December?

Was it McDermott who traded for the oblivious Ernie Sims and deemed him the starter at weakside linebacker? That's like giving a carpenter a chainsaw and telling him to get to work.

Stocking the defensive side of the ball with game-changing talent has long been a problem for Reid and his chief evaluators - current and former general managers Howie Roseman and Tom Heckert.

Naturally, the offensive-minded Reid has done a better job drafting and acquiring pieces to enact his West Coast offense. From 2007 to '09, wide receivers DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, running back LeSean McCoy, tight end Brent Celek, and quarterback Kevin Kolb have come via the draft. All but Celek were selected in the first two rounds.

Over that same period, the Eagles drafted defensive ends Victor Abiamiri and Bryan Smith, defensive tackle Trevor Laws, and linebacker Stewart Bradley in either the second or third rounds.

The injury-plagued Abiamiri has played in just 29 games over four seasons. Smith was cut after one year. Laws is only a part-timer. And Bradley probably lost his middle-linebacker spot for next season.

In the period before, 2003 to '06, Reid used three first-round picks to strengthen the defensive line. Tackles Brodrick Bunkley and Mike Patterson have anchored the middle for half a decade, but they haven't lived up to their lofty draft positions. And the less said about end Jerome McDougle, the better.

The 2010 draft was supposed to make up for some of these errors. The Eagles selected 13 players, nine of whom played on defense. It is far too early to say for certain if Graham or Allen are busts or future Pro Bowl players. But neither made an immediate impact as other high draft picks did this season.

As inaccurate as Reid and his staff have been in drafting defensive prospects, their track record through free agency and trades has been just as dubious. Only cornerback Asante Samuel can be labeled a true success story. The rest of the acquisitions either fall into the OK category (defensive end Darren Howard and linebacker Takeo Spikes) or the swing-and-a-miss kind (end Jevon Kearse and Sims).

The Eagles are certainly not alone in this regard. The failure rate among NFL teams in player evaluation is much greater than the success rate. If anything, Reid and his scouting team have done a much better job plucking players out of anonymity or out of the lower regions of the draft.

Safety Quintin Mikell, defensive end Juqua Parker, and cornerback Joselio Hanson were undrafted free agents who have given the Eagles a number of serviceable seasons. And low draft picks like defensive end Trent Cole, linebacker Moise Fokou, and possibly 2010 seventh-round linebacker Jamar Chaney and safety Kurt Coleman are more talented than their draft spots would suggest.

But Reid, for the most part, has failed to amply replace the defensive talent that was here before he arrived. Arguably, the best safety (Brian Dawkins), cornerback (Troy Vincent), linebacker (Jeremiah Trotter), and defensive end (Hugh Douglas) of the Reid era were acquired before he became head coach.

And he doesn't have the late Jim Johnson to mask his personnel blunders anymore.

And that may be where one could fault McDermott. He didn't get the most out of his mediocre players.

But Reid would never say such a thing. That would be admitting that McDermott didn't have the players to work with in the first place.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well let's hope Heckert has more defensive success here. Not bad already with Joe and Ward. But like me being right about something, let's hope it's more than once in a blue moon.

A good DC or assistant coach may provide some valuable input but right now we don't actually have an abundance of defensive-minded organizational people of whom to contribute. I am glad Holmgren didn't drag out the Shurmur hiring until all the recently fired defensive coaches already found employment as happened with RAC, having to wait until the Superbowl was over to find his staff. By then the pickings were slim for all coaches.

Conversely, with all the firings there are also a lot of job openings so it's kind of a sellers market. New, experienced, bigger name head coaches likely will draw the most interest from available, experienced defensive coaches. We got nothing on our side there except the all-for-one-one-for-all organization and, of course, Mike Holmgren. But he ain't coaching.

I know little to nothing about McDermott and an equal amount about most of the others.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know little to nothing about McDermott and an equal amount about most of the others.

I think it is safe to say that applies to nearly everybody on the board.

Most just think they know.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
All Pro
All Pro
N
NRTU Peen,

While watching the Packers/Falcons game last night I was thinking the same thing about Greene. He knows the AFC North, has been a LB coach under two GREAT DC in Capers and Lebuae (sp?), and he runs the 3-4.

I know several of you have stated that it would not be that big a deal shifting from the 3-4 to the 4-3, but I just can't beleive that. We allready have some changes coming on the offensive philosophy (much needed), and I just hesitate to blow up our defense at the same time.

I don't know if Greene is the answer, but I do know that I would prefer to stay in the 3-4, and therefore a DC that preaches the 3-4 would be preferable to me.

just my humble $0.02

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Legend
Legend
well it seems to me they need to hurry up and find out what defense they are running, so they can get their big boards together for the draft, and start targeting some guys.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
that does bring up an interesting question. When the scouts are out there during the college season- are they looking for guys that could transition into the 3-4? I would kind of think so?? So, what does that mean for finding those late round picks?? Are we behind the scouting process if a change is made to the 4-3?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And I don't want to resort to stats to comprise the basis for my opinion on them either

As with players, there are so many variables to take into consideration of how those stats were accumulated that those stats don't even come close to evaluating the talent level of a coach.

Typically, the better the stats the better the circumstances surrounding a player or coach. Sure, it could be that a guy just can't play or another just isn't a good coach but was given a chance and sucked at it. But stats are not a basis for judging.

Unfortunately, not being in the circle of the NFL (i.e. knowing people and knowing people who know people nor being in on the interview process), and/or never having seen a player play, all we as fans have to go on is stats. But that's the least reliable of all the factors that determine a persons ability.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not a surprise but...

Rob Ryan is your new Cowboys defensive coordinator

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 16, 2011, 10:17 AM EST

Like the last two single tipsy patrons at a bar when the lights flip on, Rob Ryan and the Cowboys needed each other.

The first three guys considered for the Cowboys defensive coordinator job took jobs elsewhere. Ryan wasn’t going to be brought back to Cleveland, and there weren’t many coordinator jobs still available.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Ryan and the Cowboys consummated their flirtation Sunday when Ryan agreed to be the team’s defensive coordinator. It may wind up being a nice fit for both sides.

The Cowboys get continuity on defense. Ryan has experience running an attacking 3-4 defense and there is more talent in Dallas than he had in Cleveland. Coaching in Dallas will give Ryan a nice stage to build his profile as he tries to become a head coach in the league.

Link

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I hope we look at Kevin Greene as a DC.

He'd be unproven, but he's well versed in the LeBeau 3-4.

Man if Greene cant motivate I dont kow who could! Boundless energy in that guy! I have a feeling he'd be a fan favorite here!

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I would have to say its a safe bet that our scouting staff knows exactly what they are looking for. And have since last year. Our high D draft picks were all backfield making them safe for any D.
And with the entire front office now being 4-3 guys I see little chance at all that they are going to stray away from what they know.
The 4-3 is just as ingrained in Holmgren as the WCO is. And the Czar will be building this empire to his vision.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Man if Greene cant motivate I dont kow who could! Boundless energy in that guy! I have a feeling he'd be a fan favorite here!

I would feel very apprehensive about bringing in an inexperienced DC - regardless of who he is.

Regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 and what can be accomplished in FA and the draft, we are going to have to be creative on defense because we simply don't have the personnel to run anything straight up.

I don't think a rookie DC would be able to accomplish that. I'd rather have someone who's been there done that.

That being said, the argument can be made though that you choose the longer-term candidate (like Greene) who runs the system you want to run and eat getting your doors blown off a few times the next year or two until you get the personnel and the DC gets experience to make things work.

I'm not sure this city can handle anything long-term at this point.

The fact they are persuing Jauron tells me what way they are leaning as a first option, though.

Legend
Legend
I wonder what will happen if we wind up getting this guy.

Grossi claims that schedule and players don't matter, and that winning coaches win no matter what they have on the field as far as players.......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I wonder what will happen if we wind up getting this guy.

Grossi claims that schedule and players don't matter, and that winning coaches win no matter what they have on the field as far as players.......

I almost ruined my Macbook by spitting out my coffee when I read that. Ludicrous.

Legend
Legend
I don't think it's a complete indictment of Heckert because the eagles are run by Reid, much like the Pats are really run by Belichick. At least that's my impression.

I honestly believe that's one of the reasons that heckert came here for basically, a lateral move. At least title wise..

After one off season,, I think he's added some talent. Fujita, Gocong, Haden and Ward. Not bad really.. All had a reasonble impact. Can't wait to see what next off season brings.,

word of caution.., with all expected changes, this is going to be a tough year..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well, we all know that Grossi couldn't find his behind using both hands, too.

If the discussion is whether or not you are in the playoffs this season, then yes, the number of wins is all that matters and it doesn't matter one bit how you got them. However, when you are attempting to evaluate an individual to help take you to those wins, you absolutely MUST evaluate the conditions in which those wins were obtained.... and player personnel and schedule figure HEAVILY into that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Looks like we still could be getting Dick Jauron...

Eagles taking a peek at Jim Mora Jr.

link

What does that say about Jauron then? or Mora at that?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Looks like we still could be getting Dick Jauron...

Eagles taking a peek at Jim Mora Jr.

link

What does that say about Jauron then? or Mora at that?

Mora isn't as good as his reputation suggests. His defenses have been average over the years.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not exactly a fan of Jaurons either.

Legend
Legend
I'm totally not a fan of Jauron. Whomever is was people were mentioning that played for LeBeau, and worked for him as well as Capers... now THAT sounds like someone we could use.

Heck, I'd be on board with bringing in Singletary as a DC... at least we know we'd heavily target DLine and LB then.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Singletary's going to Minny.

How did this go from "The Browns are Hiring McCoy from Denver and Juron from Philly"

To absolutely nothing? Do we never have a backup plan?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Singletry's going to Minny.

How did this go from "The Browns are Hiring McCoy from Denver and Juron from Philly"

That's cool... I would have been Ok with it, but he wouldn't have been a first choice.

Backup plan? I doubt it.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Singletry's going to Minny.

I am sure we did, but those seem to be falling apart as well.

In a few days we will hire somebody and the word will be this is the guy we targeted from day one.

And maybe it's true. Maybe the guy we want is still involved in the playoffs.

Green Bay runs a 4-3.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Green Bay runs a 3-4.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I actually just heard on the Radio (so no official link) that The Browns are expected to meet with Dave WannStache (Wannstedt) formely of Pitt this week for one of their assistant positions, though it wasn't clear that it would specifically be for a coordinator position.

Here's at least one link which also cites ESPN's Adam Schefter on the development.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=691620-browns-will-speak-with-dave-wannstedt

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Wannstedt envokes the "Meh" emotion.

I don't think there's a DC out there that if we (could of) got him that I'd be excited about.

Jauron, More Jr., Wannstedt, it's all Meh.

Can't wait to see what Ryan does with Demarcus Ware...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Can everybody not wanting Wannstache, Jauron &/or Mora please elaborate? Is it ONLY because they weren't successful as head coaches? Not nit-picking, just wondering why . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Can everybody not wanting Wannstache, Jauron &/or Mora please elaborate? Is it ONLY because they weren't successful as head coaches? Not nit-picking, just wondering why . . .

They were'nt OVERLY Succsesfull DCs either. I don't look at them and say "Yeah, that's the guy that's going to lead a top 10 defense" jmho

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I actually would prefer an older coach with head coaching experience. Just one more guy who *as long as he can accept his role* can add a LOT to the overall team experience. The only reason I wouldn't want someone is because they might try to take on the show and not realize they aren't in control ...

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Someone help me out here, wasn't Wannestedt the guy that took over for Butch Davis after he left Dallas to become the Hurricanes HC... And didn't Wannestedt win a SB as a DC?

I"m almost positive that's true?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
It is, indeed, true.

But Davis took over for Wannstedt when he was hired by the Bears to be head coach.

He also won a National Championship while defensive coordinator at "The U".

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It is, indeed, true.

But Davis took over for Wannstedt when he was hired by the Bears to be head coach.

So I had it reversed.. Wannestadt was the DC first then left and Davis took over?

Wouldn't that then mean that Wannestadt won two superbowls as the DC for Dallas then?

EDIT

I just checked,, NO, that's not the case, he was the DC in 1992 when they won thier first of that era... THen left for the Bears.. So he's got only one ring from Dallas then..

Still,, not exactly awful..

From Wiki

Quote:

Dallas CowboysWhen Johnson was hired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1989, Wannstedt joined Dallas' staff as defensive coordinator. The Cowboys defense was considered one of the best in the NFL under Wannstedt's leadership and he became a prime candidate to become an NFL head coach. When Chuck Noll retired as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, in 1992, Wannstedt was one of the finalists for the job, but was ultimately edged out by fellow Pittsburgh-area native Bill Cowher.

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/17/11 03:23 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Wannstedt was their DC from 1989-1992. They won the Super Bowl in 1992.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It is, indeed, true.

So I had it reversed.. Wannestadt was the DC first then left and Davis took over?

Wouldn't that then mean that Wannestadt won two superbowls as the DC for Dallas then?

Another way of viewing it is that Wannstedt has never been successful when he wasn't working for Jimmie Johnson.
When left to his own ways, he categorically failed.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I got a hell of a lot of respect for Wannsted for the way that Pitt defense plays. They play hard and fast but a very disciplined group. He would be a great hire.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Someone help me out here, wasn't Wannestedt the guy that took over for Butch Davis after he left Dallas to become the Hurricanes HC... And didn't Wannestedt win a SB as a DC?

I"m almost positive that's true?

Botch took over for Wannstedt when Wannstedt took Da Bears head coaching gig.

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Purp, the guy that we were referring to is Kevin Greene, currently LB coach for the Packers. He coached for 7 yrs. under Lebau and the last 2 years under Dom Capers, all in the 3-4.

Although I must admit that Wannstedt intigues me as well.

I do not want Jauron.

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

What about Mike Nolen? I think he is available. He had a down year with the Broncos as their DC but I always felt the Broncos were too small on defense and always wore out as the year went on. But he did great when he was DC of the Ravens. He also has HC experience. Only problem is that he runs a 3-4 which I am fine with but it seems that Holmgren/Shurmur want a 4-3.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pat Shurmur's Coordinators?

Link Copied to Clipboard