#568099 02/09/11 12:13 PM
I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Hi all.

Being in the computer field and relocated to many hours sitting and hunched over a keyboard, I've developed a TMJ disorder. Given the choice of dealing with this since last October or getting Waterboarded, I would seriously consider water boarding. MY TMJ has resulted in jaw pain, neck pain, ringing ears, teeth that no longer line up (my back molars don't touch and making eating very difficult) and is starting to wear me down mentally.

One thing I want to change is my office chair. I was wondering if anyone has found THE CHAIR that has helped them with their posture and back/neck problems? I've done web searches, but I want to hear of personal experiences and recommendations from fellow Dawgs.

On a funny note, I found this chair, but I don't think it is an option:

The Gavitonus (It really looks like something out of a sci-fi movie:
web page

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm on my 5th chair in like 6 years and still not totally satisfied.

I want a high back chair that I can rest my head against at times, as I find myself hunching over as well, and often aggravate my neck issues. And one that provides good lumbar support to help push me to sit upright.

I've tried many and so far come away disappointed. So good luck and if you come up with anything that fit the bill let us know.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Have you tried one of those "kneeling" chairs where you somewhat sit on your knees?

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Well if you can afford it...I LOVE the Herman Miller Chairs. Infinitely adjustable and they are just VERY comfortable. (and I dont even have the top end Aeron) If the chair is going to be an investment.....and this is for office work...then I HIGHLY recconmend the Herman Miller Chairs...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
I just want to turn my cube into one of those plastic ball-pits ... now THAT would be comfy.

I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Well if you can afford it...I LOVE the Herman Miller Chairs. Infinitely adjustable and they are just VERY comfortable. (and I dont even have the top end Aeron) If the chair is going to be an investment.....and this is for office work...then I HIGHLY recconmend the Herman Miller Chairs...

I just priced those out earlier. A lot of coin for those. Which one do you have?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
If a chair will help your TMJ, you may want to remove your head from your...Hey, try the hula chair!

Thomas - The Tank Engine
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I have the Mirra. I would LOVE to have that new one that really fits your spine ( Ithink it is the Embody)...but it is like $1200 from the HM site. Of course you can find deals from other places and such if you know the chair you want. I mean The Aeron goes for $870 on the site and I have seen them go for less than $600 online at different times....And you can always look out for used and uctions. Definitely check out the used office supply places...you can find some very good deals. Even if they don't have one they can contact you if they get one.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I just want to turn my cube into one of those plastic ball-pits ... now THAT would be comfy.

I just priced those out earlier. A lot of coin for those.

(ok, not really, but that's how my eyes initially read your post combined with Irogue's below it and I had to laugh. figured I would share my insanity)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some of these prices are crazy. You can buy a $120 chair and take it to a custom upholstery shop and get the back and headrest custom made for your back and head for about $300-$400 depending on the thickness of the material you want to use.

Also, I can buy a great aftermarket driver seat and mount it to the base of an average desk chair for cheaper than all of these high priced ready made Ergo desk chairs.

For instance take this and mount it to a desk chair base and I'm sure it will be less than $400 total cost. That includes making a bracket to mount the seat too and then mounting the bracket to the base. A couple pieces of 1/4" flat stock should be all you need.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

If a chair will help your TMJ, you may want to remove your head from your...Hey, try the hula chair!

I block Youtube here at work, so I'll have to check your Hula chair out later ....when I get home and remove my noggin out of my associated body part ....

I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Some of these prices are crazy.

My Lord....Herman Miller must be some chair deity. Check out this Ebay auction for 6 fiberglass chairs. $999 for something that looks like it came out of a 4th grade classroom in the 60s. web page

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I went through the same search maybe five years ago. I was unhappy enough that I was willing to spend the $800+ for something that would help.

The guy sitting next to me in the office tells me he'll fix my chair for free so that I'm happy. The next morning he brings in an empty 1-liter soda bottle, the typical soft plastic kind, with the cap on.

He puts it on my chair laying down flat where the seat meets the back and tells me to sit down. (Meanwhile, I'm thinking this guy is a moron).

I sit down and I'm shocked how much more comfortable it is. Silly as it sounds, I've had an empty soda bottle lying on my chair for five years.

I'm certain you're thinking I'm nuts right now, but give it a try. You'll be surprised.

I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

I've had an empty soda bottle lying on my chair for five years.

Pepsi or Coke?

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum I need a COMFORTABLE CHAIR!

Link Copied to Clipboard