Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B

Zac Jackson of FOX Sports Ohio reports that the Browns have released DL Shaun Rogers.
Jackson reports that the Browns have also cut RT John St. Clair, LB Eric Barton, TE Robert Royal, and LB David Bowens. Combined, their 2011 salaries were scheduled to add up to $13.84 million. Rogers managed just two sacks in 2010 while seeing a major decline in playing time. He turns 32 in March.

web page

No real surprises due to salaries, but thought Rogers would be trade bait, which we probably asked around with no takers, just thought we might hold onto him a bit longer.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
Well, 4 of those make a lot of sense to me. Welcome to the Browns, Marcel Dareus!

Legend
Legend
And the speed movement has officially begun.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I don't think there's a 340 pounder in the world faster for five yards than Shaun Rogers.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They must be awfully confident that there will be a free agency period this year. Not sure how else they plan on replacing those guys.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
L
Legend
Legend
L
Will they even attempt to re-sign Rogers at a reduced rate? Another question is, would he want to come back? Doubt it.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Let's see if Rogers ends up in KC...the only time the guy put out was the one year he played for Crennel.

No real surprises to me...just making room..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Zac Jackson of FOX Sports Ohio reports that the Browns have released DL Shaun Rogers.
Jackson reports that the Browns have also cut RT John St. Clair, LB Eric Barton, TE Robert Royal, and LB David Bowens. Combined, their 2011 salaries were scheduled to add up to $13.84 million. Rogers managed just two sacks in 2010 while seeing a major decline in playing time. He turns 32 in March.

web page

No real surprises due to salaries, but thought Rogers would be trade bait, which we probably asked around with no takers, just thought we might hold onto him a bit longer.

I'm surprised about cutting Rogers. I'm guessing Jauron didn't want him (didn't he coach him at one point?)

Otherwise, they all make sense sorta. May be not Robert Royal, he was a very good run blocker. People always knocked him for dropping passes, but the reason that he got to see the field as much as Evan Moore was because he could block and Evan Moore can't.

I guess with a WCO, the importance of that blocking TE is less than Mangini's power running scheme.

Barton and Bowens both are getting worse every year, and we're probably switching to the 4-3 system. Although I really like David Bowens and his gray beard. I can't say many things bad about the guy, he played very hard and was good against the run. Plus he had that phenomenal game against the Saints (or Patriots), the other being Coleman's big game. Eric Barton also played very well at times this year. I liked our Linebacking Core of Fujita, Barton, Cocong, and Roth

And thank god we cut St. Clair! Now let's replace him with someone good and not some other joke like Nat Dorsey

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wondered how soon we might get around to house cleaning...subtract 2 LBers a DT, RT and TE....now we have some additions to do.
Looks like Coleman made the 1st cut, but know big surprises other then Rogers who is only a surprise if your not the one signing his paychecks

[Linked Image]

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Kenyon Coleman has been cut as well, it seems. Looking for a link.

Legend
Legend
Rogers is the only one I didn't expect. I thought we'd trade him. But then again, I don't really know what to expect at this point.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Glad Royal is gone..
Glad Barton is gone..
I liked Bowens b/c of his hustle.
Surprised about Rogers.. It was nice while it lasted.
St. Clair.. it's whatever.. I could care less.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Surprised at Rogers.

Happy about royal.

Sad for Bowens. I know he's getting older - I just liked him.

Legend
Legend
Bowens looks older than he is. He could still play. I think an $8 investment in some just for men could have bought him another year of contract. Maybe not on our new D, but somewhere. Maybe Rob picks him up in Dallas.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Royal and St. Clair desperately needed to be cut.

Barton and Bowens were both Mangini guys.

Rogers I would have liked to keep, but I'm not surprised.

Legend
Legend
I saw the Rogers cut coming. High price, different regime brought him in, had a bad year, and was old. Simple really.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This would surprise me. I was thinking Coleman would have fit into a 4-3 DT rotation as a backup or something.

He plays hard, is good against the run, and he can sorta get to the QB.

I don't see why we would let him go. I liked him

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Rogers: Hurt a LOT.
The others: Didn't fit.

All of them: Old. Each of these guys was 31 or older.

I would guess that there will be several more veteran cuts before too much longer.

With Dawson and Robaire Smith likely not coming back, that drops most of the top end off of the roster as far as age goes. We'll see what happens with guys like Delhomme, Sorensen, and maybe even Kenyon Coleman and Womach. Seeing any or all of them dropped prior to the start of next season would not surprise me in the least.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Here's reporting the Coleman cut.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think there's a 340 pounder in the world faster for five yards than Shaun Rogers.

Maybe I should have included "youth" movement with my "speed" movement comment.. Rogers is capable of moving 5 yards extremely fast, but at 32, how often and for how much longer?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Hopefully they're planning on using some of that cash to re-up Rubin, Thomas, and Vickers. Maybe Wright, too, but I think that's just wishful thinking.

Legend
Legend
Well .... guess Coleman's gone too then. lol I see to recall someone just saying that it wouldn't be a surprise if ......

No one should be under any illusions that we will be going into major rebuild here. (especially on defense) These guys are old ..... don't fit a 4-3 or a WCO ..... or have injury issues ..... so they are history. No big surprises there.

With these cuts our most experienced DL are now Jayme Mitchell and Derreck Robinson. (5 and 4 years) Guess where we're gonne be concentrating in FA and the draft?

Witht he exception of Fujita, now every other LB under contract for next year is 27 or younger, inexpensive, and easy to dump if they dont fit. We may have to force a few square pegs in round holes this year, but they're going to be younger square pegs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The only player left on the roster from the Sanchez trade down is Alex Mack.

(Elam is a free agent).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IIRC... Jayme Mitchell is a FA and you are probably right about having to use round pegs in square holes or was it square pegs in round holes
next year.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I hope we re-sign Elam. He had a great 2nd half of the season last year when he started getting more reliable overall play from Ward. (Not that Ward wasn't great for a rookie, but he was also often out of position badly in the first half of the season in the passing game)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
With all of these defensive lineman being cut It definately appears our free agency and draft will be focused on the defensive line.

Look for Brandon Mebane to be brought in from seattle. He is a guy who Holmgren drafted and is a very good run stopper. Would be suprised if Seattle doesn't try thier best to retain him though.

Him and Rubin in the middle would make it tough for other teams to run on us.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm a bit surprised by Rogers as I've said before that he does still have value. Apparently not to the tune of his current salary. And you're right, he has been injured a lot. While still able to dominate he can't do much dominating from the bench injured. In addition, he's not participated in the past two training camps. While true that he may not need the practice, the other guys need to practice with him. Maybe he's gotten lax and lazy too.

Bowens can still play but his value comes from his experience as did his two interceptions vs. the Saints. He makes good plays when he's in but we need youth and speed at that position and it's time to move on.

A healthy St. Clair is not as bad as the villain he's been portrayed on here but it doesn't take much at all to upgrade from him especially considering how often he's been injured.

Royal can block but you need more from your TE.

Barton will never heal enough to be effective again before being injured again. He'll likely retire.

Colman surprises me but I'm assuming there's a plan in place.

This reminds me of Savage leaving himself with only two DL with no experience and then bringing in Rogers and Williams whom I thought together would make the difference. Well, they did to a degree. We're now left with very little in the way of DL. I'm anxious to see what transpires.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Speaking of Williams. Boy would it be nice to have him on our roster now.

Legend
Legend
I wanted Mebane so bad.. I remember pimping him that year..

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Actually,we had very little in the way of dline before these guys were cut.We all have a pleasant memory or two,but these guys are older and really weren't that good.Mediocre 43 dlinemen can be had on the cheap,ne sense wasting money on these guys.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's true and I wouldn't argue it. But now we don't even have bodies.

I'm not complaining. That whole group needed to go although I still feel Rogers can dominate and Coleman has some service. But even if I think that there's certainly been no crime committed in letting them go.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We can grab bodies anywhere. (Well, don't let Roethlisberger or Favre hear that, they might get the wrong idea ......... )

Cheap, young bodies are better than old expensive bodies that wind up on IR. Maybe we can find another Rubin while we sift through the chum.

I do think that Coleman gave his all last year. Hell, he might have had as many tackles by himself as the starting DL of the Steelers had combined. OK, but it was close, they had 73 combined and Coleman had 68. Compare that to Rubin with 82, and Rogers with only 17 and it's easy to see why Rogers was cut, but I thin that Coleman's release was a function of age.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Royal was probably the most productive but damn he killed us.

Rogers was unstoppable when he wanted to be but the last 2 seasons, he has done nothing other than riding a bicycle.

St. Claire was bad on his best days and horrible on most days.

Bowens played hard and was a class act. Hate to see him go but he doesn't fit the 4-3.

Barton was dead weight.

I honestly can't remember a single play coleman made while here.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
WE are stuck on stupid. profootballtalk.com reported when the browns had a gag on the nature of Rogers injury that it was an achilles. for a 350+lb human I knew that would take more than one season. he was playing injured for much of the 2010 season, so now that he is a year out from the injury, NOW we cut him?
Stuck on Stupid.
the other mangini men were marginal types but nice motivators, we lose locker room presence.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Sad to see Rogers go. Thought he could've been effective for us in 2011.

Good riddance to the other Mangini boys.

Legend
Legend
Coleman REALLY shined like one game last season, and then disappeared.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Good Lord. Did I Jinx him?
He was a trooper but was running on flat tiers.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Actually, both Barton and Bowens have experience playing in the 4-3. Bowens was actually a DT in Maimi, and Barton was an OLB in Oakland, I believe.

If you missed Coleman making plays last year, you just weren't paying attention. He actually had a great year for a 3-4 DE. Like I said, he had almost as many tackles as the Pittsburgh starting DL had combined.

Royal did very little in his time here. 5 catches last year? Hell, he probably dropped at least that many last year as well. 2009 he had 11 catches. Yea.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Royal was really good blocking especially on special teams. Royal we will never forget for all the wrong reasons.

Coleman had numbers but I swear he is just one of those people that you never remember.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw TMZ once they were talking to Adrian Peterson. They asked him who hit the hardest. At first he said Ray Lewis then corrected himself and said Shawn Rogers. I hope we can resign him cheaper but he is an older big guy and will go where the most money is. Good for him.

Joe Thomas #73
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rogers, St.Clair, Barton, Royal, Bowens Cut

Link Copied to Clipboard