Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#573677 02/25/11 08:44 PM
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's hard to know how any draft will turn out in the end because there are 32 teams with no 2 draft boards being equal.

The following is as 'If' I were the GM for all teams
And why I would select whom for each team.

Note: The Draft will most likely look much different for the reasons listed above.

1. CAR -- DT, *Nick Fairley
--The Panthers have Charles Johnson who I'm sure they'll resign/franchise/tender. Greg Hardy was a 1st round pick and they think he could be ready to take the next step in his development. They also have Alex Brown. They have no talent at DT and Fairley can rush the passer from the 3 tech.

2. DEN -- DE, *DaQuan Bowers
--Denver will be moving to the 43 defense. If Bowers is taken #1, then I think Fairley would be their pick here. Fox might also prefer Quinn, but in my scenario I make the picks and I would go with Bowers. He and Dumervile would make for a nice set of bookends. Peterson might be an option here, but they resigned Champ Bailey.

3. BUF -- DL, *Marcell Dareus
--I think he fits their scheme and would fill a big need.
LB is another big need.
Von Miller is an tempting option or Robert Quinn might be an option, but that would be projecting him to the OLB, position, so the risk would be a contributing factor here at #3, I'll reluctantly pass on both.
I don't like to take LBers this high if there is an adjustment period with the responsibilities at the next level.

I think they will also pass on a QB here as I will.
I will concede that I am torn between Dareus and Peterson here, but referring to my basic draft philosophy and building my defense starting up front, Dareus gets the nod over Peterson, because given their needs Peterson would be a Luxury pick with the top 5 technique on the board.

4. CIN -- WR, *AJ Green
--With their proven QB threatening to retire and money that the will have to shell out to retain Joseph. Moving forward I think the best way to patch this tainted relationship would be to draft Green and cut all ties with the not so dynamic dual. They could go with DE Quinn or OLB Von Miller or even Peterson if they felt like he could move to Safety. Any of the above prospects would be an option for the Bengals here at #4, but they have already invested many high selections in their recent drafts on the defensive side. I do not see them drafting a QB this high.

5. ARI -- OLB, Von Miller
--I like Miller in either defense (43/34), Arizona has a good front 3, but they are very weak at the Lb position. They are a veteran team so I don't think drafting a rookie QB is the best rout for them to have a quick return to the playoffs.

6. CLE -- CB, *Patrick Peterson
--IF I have Peterson on the board he is my highest rated prospect on my board. He is however not a player who fills the biggest needs of the team this year, so this choice will need some debate before 'we' in the War Room come to a conclusion.
If Robert Quinn is available there will be some who will lobby for him.
I think Cameron Jordan is the top Senior prospect on the board, but overall he falls short of Patrick Peterson.
I have the final say and I am not drafting for 'this' year, but rather the future, so I am not passing on the best 'talent' available.

7. SF -- CB, Prince Amukamara
--He is my #2 ranked Senior prospect and also fills the biggest need.
I have a rookie first time head coach whom I don't want to merry his chance of success to a rookie QB, because I am not sold on any being a sure thing at the next level. Their situation is not as desperate as some others and will look to add a QB in later rounds.

8. TEN -- QB, *Cam Newton
--as a franchise the Titans need to move forward and I think Newton is in the mold of a Vince Young and is the type of talent they are looking for at the position.
He might not be the safest pick, but I think he is a good fit for the Titans.
Robert Quinn will also figure in here at DE if the QB they covet is off the board.

9. DAL -- DE, Cameron Jordan
--As I have already stated Cameron Jordan is my #1 ranked Senior prospect.
The need for 5 tech DE is secondary to the CB position, but the top 2 are already gone. Other options will be Robert Quinn projecting him to OLB, once again there is a risk associated here and DE fills a bigger need for their 34 scheme. Jordan is the safe pick here.

10. WAS -- QB, *Blaine Gabbert
--The Redskins have other more immediate needs at WR or LB, but I think this pick is one with the future stability of the team in mind.
I think he would be a better fit then would Newton in Washington. There will be someone who will probably lobby for Jake Locker here as well.

11. HOU -- OLB, Robert Quinn
--Moving to a new 34 defense will afford Quinn I think the time to develop with a developing scheme.
I don't mind gambling here with projecting Quinn to Lb at this point in the drafts first round, because of his potential.

12. MIN -- DE, Aldon Smith
--The Vikings have bigger needs, but with Ray Edwards and Brian Robinson being FA's and Everson Griffen as the only option across from the aging Jared Allen, so there is a need for a DE.
There will be debate in favor of selecting a LT and moving McKinney to RT. Tyron Smith and Nate Solder will also be considered here, but Aldon Smith I think will be more of an impact player for them in their scheme.

13. DET -- OT Nate Solder
--The Lions biggest needs are CB and LB, but OT is also high on their needs list.
Pass protection is a big concern for an otherwise fairly explosive offense.
I think that their franchise depends on keeping Matthew Stafford or whom ever healthy.
I think that starts with adding a LT here and moving Jeff Backus to RT.
Tyron Smith has I think a higher potential then does Solder, but he also has a lot of work to do in way of polishing his techniques for the position.
I think Solder although far from a finished product him self, but I think is more ready to start as a LT at the next level.

14. STL -- WR, *Julio Jones
-- Sam Bradford. And the Rams need a big play weapon at WR and Jones is the best available.

15. MIA -- RB, Mark Ingram
--Jake Locker (QB) will be in the discussion with this pick, but there is a need for fresh legs at the position and I think Ingram is the safer pick here.

16. JAC -- DE, Ryan Kerrigan
--Karrigan would fill a big need with Aaron Kampman recent injury (2 ACL's)history. JJ Watt would be an option here except I don't think he is best suited to their 43 scheme.

17. NE -- DT, *Cory Liuget
--Liuget is a Belichick type of prospect and offers more versatility to their scheme then will JJ Watt and I think is more physically gifted.

18. SD -- DE, *J.J. Watt
--He is the highest rated 5 tech on my board and would fill a big need.
Gabe Carimi will enter the discussion I think with this selection, but does not carry the highest rating.

19. NYG -- OT, *Tyron Smith
--Eli Manning is a different QB if you can keep him clean and he is the franchise.
The Giants have other needs like RB, LB and WR, but none of those things will matter if they can't protect Manning.

20. TB -- DE, Adrian Clayborn
--Clayborn would fill a big need here and I think will work well under Coach
Raheem Morris. TB has other needs like up grading their OL (RT and OG) and LB positions, so Gabe Carimi and Akeem Ayers might also be in the discussion with this selection, but they need to upgrade both DE positions.

21. KC -- LB, Akeem Ayers
-- I think the Chiefs can continue to build a strong defense with this selection. Ayers has position versatility in a 34 defense. He is not the most gifted pass rusher from the position, so there is room for improvement in his game. I think he will be a solid if not spectacular LB at the next level.

22. IND -- OT, Derek Sherrod
--He is not the most physical prospect, but he might be the most technically sound LT prospect in the draft. Besides Payton Manning and the Colts could really care less about a dominant running game, so just makes since with this selection. Anthony Costanzo might also be a candidate here, but I like
Sherrod a little more, because he has the better feet.

23. PHL -- OT, Gabe Carimi
--the Eagles desperately need to find an upgrade at RT. The could also use some help at CB, but Carimi rated higher then any CB at this point.

24. NO -- Stephen Paea
--This pick fills probably the biggest need for the Saints. The emergence of RB Chris Ivory makes this selection a little easier when left with the choice.
OLB/DE Justin Houston will also be in the discussion, but I don't feel he is the best fit for their scheme.

25. SEA -- QB, Jake Locker
--QB Matt Hasselbeck will be a FA at the end of the next season and I don't think Charley Whitehurst is a long term solution. This is a pick with the future at QB in mind and not just the up coming season.

26. BAL -- CB, *Brandon Harris
--CB is by far been the biggest weakness on the team of recent years. This year with 3 of the position becoming FA's makes even more since. Jimmy Smith and Aaron Williams I think fall just behind Harris, because they are both a little stiff hipped. They could also use another DE like Muhammed Wilkerson

27. ATL -- WR, *Torrey Smith
--TE Kyle Rudolph is not out of the realm of possibilities here as they will need to groom a replacement for Tony Gonzales. Matt Ryan needs weapons opposite from Roddy White.

28. NE -- OL, Danny Watkins
--Watkins might still be available at pick 33 their next selection, but with
both Pittsburgh and GB pick prior to their next selection there is no guarantee Watkins will be on the board I think this would be their safe play. OG is a bigger need for NE then is grooming a LT behind Matt light.
Logan Mankins was franchised and said he would not play if he is franchised again, but Stephen Neal is also declining. I think OLB Justin Houston would also be a good fit here and they still have the 33rd selection to draft a Pass rusher or WR perhaps.

29. NYJ -- DT, *Muhammed Wilkerson
--Wilkerson is the highest rated 5 tech on the board.
Even if the Jets retain Shaun Ellis he is still 34 years old.

30. CHI -- OT, Anthony Costanzo
--The Bears came pretty close to going to the supper bowl, but if they are going to take the next step, then they are going to have to do a better job at protecting the QB. Costanzo would allow Omiyale to move over to the RT where he is better suited.

31. PITT -- OL, *Mike Pouncey
-- With all of the Top OT's off the board up grading their RG position takes center stage.
Overall Mike is not as talented as his brother, but this pick makes better since then CB with this selection imo.

32. GB -- OLB *Justin Houston
--GB needs help at OG, but with Watkins and Pouncey off the board, they will look in a different direction.
Other options include CB's Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams and WR Jon Baldwin. Houston could give GB a one two punch at OLB paired across from Clay Matthews III. Stefan Wisniewski would also be a good pick here as could Christian Ballard so even though this was the final pick it was no given as to who was the best player available.

*= underclass men

Okay, you've just saw mine now let's see your's.
How would your draft look and why?

Some pretty good talent will fall to the top of round two
Here's a look at 10 of the best I left to start the second round;

CB, Jimmy Smith
CB, *Aaron Williams
DE, Christian Ballard
ILB, *Martez Wilson
OL, Stefan Wisniewski
OL, Ben Ijalana
WR, Titus Young
WR, *Jon Baldwin
RB, Mikel Leshoure
TE, Kyle Rudolph

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 02/25/11 09:42 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
you don't consider Cameron Heyward as one of the ten next best guys?

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

you don't consider Cameron Heyward as one of the ten next best guys?

He is right there but I think Christian Ballard is the better talent.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Revisions: 1.0

15. MIA -- QB, Jake Locker
»Was RB, Mark Ingram
--Jake Locker (QB) will be in the discussion with this pick, but there is a need for fresh legs at the position and I think Ingram is the safer pick here.
I think the Dolphins will not be able to pass on Locker here after running a 4.52 40:

22. IND -- OT, Anthony Costanzo
»Was OT, Derek Sherrod
--He is not the most physical prospect, but he might be the most technically sound LT prospect in the draft. Besides Payton Manning and the Colts could really care less about a dominant running game, so just makes since with this selection. Anthony Costanzo might also be a candidate here, but I like
Sherrod a little more, because he has the better feet. Costanzo showed better strength at the combine and Sherrod has not impress so I have flip flopped the two with the Bears taking Sherrod later.

24. NO -- RB, Mark Ingram
»Was Stephen Paea
--This pick fills probably the biggest need for the Saints. The emergence of RB Chris Ivory makes this selection a little easier when left with the choice.
OLB/DE Justin Houston will also be in the discussion, but I don't feel he is the best fit for their scheme. the availability of the top RB in the draft is enough to give them the selection considering that Locker is off the board.

25. SEA -- OL, *Mike Pouncey
»Was ^QB, Jake Locker
--QB Matt Hasselbeck will be a FA at the end of the next season and I don't think Charley Whitehurst is a long term solution. This is a pick with the future at QB in mind and not just the up coming season.
OG is a high priority with Spencer being prone too injury. I think one of the CB's will also be an option here for debate.

27. ATL -- WR, Titus young
»Was WR, *Torrey Smith
--TE Kyle Rudolph is not out of the realm of possibilities here as they will need to groom a replacement for Tony Gonzales. Matt Ryan needs weapons opposite from Roddy White. Just a preference thing here.

30. CHI -- OT, Derek Sherrod
»Was ^OT, Anthony Costanzo
--The Bears came pretty close to going to the supper bowl, but if they are going to take the next step, then they are going to have to do a better job at protecting the QB. Costanzo would allow Omiyale to move over to the RT where he is better suited. Sherrod is the consolation prize here

31. PITT -- CB, *Aaron Williams
»Was ^OL, *Mike Pouncey
-- With all of the Top OT's off the board up grading their RG position takes center stage.
Overall Mike is not as talented as his brother, but this pick makes better since then CB with this selection imo. The Steelers would of liked to have an OL fall to them here. CB is another position high on their list of needs. (NT's) Stephen Paea or Phil Taylor may also be given consideration as will Christian Ballard because they fit their scheme.

Some pretty good talent will fall to the top of round two

Here's a look at 10 of the best left to start the second round;

DT, Stephen Paea
CB, Jimmy Smith
DE, Christian Ballard
ILB, *Martez Wilson
RB, Mikel Leshoure
TE, Kyle Rudolph
OL, Ben Ijalana
WR, *Torrey Smith
WR, *Jon Baldwin
DL, Cameron Heyward

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
«options...who fits where?

1) Panthers (43) « DT Fairley, DE's Bowers and Quinn, CB Peterson, WR AJ Green QB?.

2) Broncos (43) « DT Fairley, DE Bowers and Quinn, CB Peterson, WR AJ Green.

3) Bills (34) « DE Dareus, OLB Miller and Quinn,
CB Peterson, WR AJ Green QB?.

4) Bengals (43) « DT Fairley, DE Bowers and Quinn, CB Peterson, WR AJ Green QB?.

5) Cardinals (34) « DE Dareus, OLB Miller and Quinn, CB Peterson, WR AJ Green, QB?.

6) Browns (43) « DT Fairley, Dareus, DE Bowers, Quinn and Jordan, CB Peterson, WR AJ Green, OLB Miller, QB?.

7) 49ers (34) « DE Dareus and Jordan, OLB Miller and Quinn, CB Peterson and Amukamara, QB?.

8) Titans (43) « QB?, DE Quinn and Jordan,

9) Cowboys (34) « DE Dareus and Jordan, OT Solder and Smith, CB Amukamara, OLB Miller and Quinn.

10) Redskins (34) « QB?, DE Dareus and Jordan, WR Julio Jones.

(_)=Defense

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you were the GM for all teams and you selected AJ Green for another team before it was the Browns turn then I would have to consider beating you within an inch of your life... just sayin'...

yebat' Putin
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If you were the GM for all teams and you selected AJ Green for another team before it was the Browns turn then I would have to consider beating you within an inch of your life... just sayin'...

Fair enough, but I was trying to be unbias with my picks and so I had to look at team needs and draft tendencies with that in mind..... I don't see the Bengals going any other way then Green if he is available. Unless they know for sure Palmer will in fact retire.

[Linked Image]

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
To me......the Bengals don't have any other option than QB. You can't have the most important player on your team, and the supposed unquestioned leader of the team, say he wants out or he will retire. and then bring him back into the locker room. How can he be a leader to that locker room after that statement?

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

To me......the Bengals don't have any other option than QB. You can't have the most important player on your team, and the supposed unquestioned leader of the team, say he wants out or he will retire. and then bring him back into the locker room. How can he be a leader to that locker room after that statement?

I think Palmer has genuine complaints with the Bengals. That said I don't think for one minute that he would be satisfied with his decision to retire.

I think that his motive was to get a response and some sympathy.

I can see the Bengals going after Ponder or another in the 2nd round before they will reach for one @ #4.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Right now I would go

Panthers= Bowers
Broncos= Dareus
Bills= Fairley
Bengals= Peterson
Cards= Von Miller
Browns= Green? Quinn? Watt? Then you have Gabbert and Newton with the QB needy teams . Smells like trade a down situation.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 02/28/11 08:36 PM.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Things are a little clearer today and since the DB workouts on Tuesday shouldn't change much at the top of the draft, I'll throw in a mock...

1. Carolina - M. Dareus
2. Denver - P. Peterson
3. Buffalo - N. Fairley
4. Cincinnati - D. Bowers
5. Arizona - V. Miller
6. Cleveland - AJ Green (I think the Browns board will be Dareus, Peterson, Green)
7. San Fran - P. Amukamara
8. Minn (trades with Tenn) - Cam Newton
9. Dallas - C. Jordan
10. Wash - JJ Watt

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really think that unless the Bengals clear out the divas, Palmer will not be back.

He is probably right, he can retire on a boat load of money.

I don't think he is bluffing.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I think the divas are gone for sure based on what Marvin Lewis has been saying....that being said, I can easily see the Bengals drafting Gabbert or Newton and them develop under Palmer for a year, maybe two...but that might make too much sense

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Things are a little clearer today and since the DB workouts on Tuesday shouldn't change much at the top of the draft, I'll throw in a mock...

1. Carolina - M. Dareus
2. Denver - P. Peterson
3. Buffalo - N. Fairley
4. Cincinnati - D. Bowers
5. Arizona - V. Miller
6. Cleveland - AJ Green (I think the Browns board will be Dareus, Peterson, Green)
7. San Fran - P. Amukamara
8. Minn (trades with Tenn) - Cam Newton
9. Dallas - C. Jordan
10. Wash - JJ Watt

The trade scenario could happen , but I think Minnesota would be crazy to trade up...

The 6' 4" Joe Webb only had

2 starts and played in 5 games last season for the vikings.
He completed 54 of 89 pass attempts for 477 yards. To go with 0 TD's passing and 3 INT's.
He rushed 18 times for 120 yards and 2 TD's for a 6.6 yard per rush attempt.
He was sacked 8 times for a loss of 48 yards and finished his 'rookie' season with a only a 60.9 QB rating
[Not so impressive in it self], but I think with some good coaching this kid has a chance to be a starting QB in this League.
Webb made some rookie mistakes, but he left me impressed with his play. If he left me impressed then I think those who actually matter where as well.

Plus I think that the Titans are in the market for a QB themselves.
Kerry Collins will only take them so far.

Jmo.

[Linked Image]

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
A very intereting part about Fielding calls from several teams at 6 pick. I hope its true
see his whole mock here

6. Cleveland Browns (5-11), A.J. Green, WR, Georgia: If Blaine Gabbert’s still on the board, Cleveland will be fielding phone calls from several teams around the league — San Francisco, Tennessee, Washington and Minnesota in particular — looking to make a quick jump to grab him. Could the Browns trade the pick to Washington, scoop up the Skins’ second-rounder and select either Green or Julio Jones at No. 10? It’s possible. With Cleveland moving to a 4-3 scheme and both Nick Fairley and Robert Quinn — two elite defensive linemen — still on the board, there will be sentiment to take one of the big boys, too. In the end, I think Cleveland's braintrust takes the gamebreaker in Green. The Browns offense last year was Peyton Hillis, a little Colt McCoy, and a whole lot of fourth receivers playing the role of primary and secondary targets. McCoy gets an elite wideout to grow old with and Cleveland gets a star attraction. Though Julio Jones wowed at the combine last week, the 6-foot-4 Green is still my top rated receiver in this draft. In three years at Georgia, he recorded 166 receptions for 2,619 yards and 23 touchdowns. He’ll leave the Dawgs for the Dawg Pound.

6. Cleveland Browns (5-11), A.J. Green, WR, Georgia: The hiring of Pat Shurmur as head coach in Cleveland means the Browns will most likely run a West Coast offense, something perfectly suited for quarterback Colt McCoy. Now, the young quarterback just needs a few weapons. Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi are nice second and third options, but neither are alpha dog No. 1 wideouts. Insert the 6-4 Green, the best receiver in this draft, and a guy who can truly do it all. In three years at Georgia, Green recorded 166 receptions for 2,619 yards and 23 touchdowns. There are definite needs on defense and Mike Holmgren has a history of making the most out of receivers taken in later rounds, but Green is just too much of a talent to pass up at No. 6. This is a perfect fit.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
I really don't want to trade down...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I can easily see the Bengals drafting Gabbert or Newton and them develop under Palmer for a year, maybe two

Yeah, Jordan Palmer . . .

As for us trading down. I'd have confidence in Heckert doing well either way. I won't complain if we trade down, assuming the team pays up big time, or if we stay put at 6.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Why?

Especially if we don't know about the rookie wage scale.

This is a relatively talented draft class. And it's not like the teams stated are very late in the draft. San Francisco has the pick after us. Tennessee the pick after that. Washington picks 10th. And Minnesota picks 12th. Obviously we would get more in return the more we moved down.

At one of those spots we could probably still get Julio Jones, J.J. Watt, Cameron Jordan, or Prince Amukamara. And pick up an extra pick or two. I have no problem with that.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Why?

Especially if we don't know about the rookie wage scale.

This is a relatively talented draft class. And it's not like the teams stated are very late in the draft. San Francisco has the pick after us. Tennessee the pick after that. Washington picks 10th. And Minnesota picks 12th. Obviously we would get more in return the more we moved down.

At one of those spots we could probably still get Julio Jones, J.J. Watt, Cameron Jordan, or Prince Amukamara. And pick up an extra pick or two. I have no problem with that.

I agree. Though if Dareus, Peterson or Bowers is available, then I would not want to trade down as you don't pass up elite guys (And, they are likely to be gone by the time we pick).

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Roc, if we could make that trade and pick up the 10th pick and the 41st to go with our 37th pick.

We could have a draft that might start out some like this;

#10) DE -- Ryan Karrigan
#37) DT -- Marvin Austin
#41) WR -- Tandon Doss
(^Open for debate)

And the rest of our selections left starting with the 70th in the 3rd and our 4th round pick just outside the top 100 picks.

But after further research Washington has already traded their 3rd and 4th round picks, so after selecting Gabbert with the 6th pick they would not pick again until the 5th round. It could still happen, but I think it would include a pick swap [like our 4th for their 5th].

Who other then NE has the ammo to move up to # 6 ?
[Picks only]...possible trading partners;

»The Titans @ 8 might want to leap frog the 9ers at a chance at a QB.

Moving down two picks might still net us their #2
Pick #39 or their 3rd round pick #77 and their 5th round pick.

»The Cowboys @ 9 are always one of the more active teams who knows what they would offer for Peterson if he was available. I wouldn't want trade him even if they offered their 9th pick and 40th.

»The Texans 11th and 42nd picks. I think this could work depending on how satisfied Houston is with their 11th selection.
They need LBers and CB's.
So they are a possibility.

»The Vikings 12th pick is about as far as I could see us trading down. The Vikings have already traded away their 3rd round pick to NE for Randy Moss and for reasons I suggested earlier in this tread, that I don't believe they are as desperate to move up to Draft a QB as some would believe they are.

Edit: they will still have a shot at probably Jake Locker or perhaps even Pounder, but I have a hard time believing Ponder will go as high as #12.

»NE has the ammo to just about what ever they care to do, but they are more likely to trade down and add even more picks the trading them away...
I think that the 'Mad Scientist'
[Bill Belichick] is going for the record for most picks in a (7) round Draft

Who knows what Bill will do, people used to say he doesn't like to draft LBers high in the draft and then he moved up to snag Mayo.

Maybe he will do the same thing in April.

To move up from #17 he will have to give up their own 28th pick.

Hmmm! They still have the 1st pick in the 2nd round.
That might work...
Trouble is we would have to devise a way to convince the Mad Scientist this is what he must do.

There will still be good talent @ 17 and maybe Ryan Karrigan is still on the board and add another on the DL or OL with the 28th pick.

The main things we need to get out of our 1st round pick is big play potential, be that WR AJ Green, Julio Jones, DB/RS Patrick Peterson or a 'pass rushing' DL.

If we draft ourselves out of a chance at one of these possibilities.
[Like just getting a RT or run stopping DL]... then I won't be a happy Dawg.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/02/11 02:56 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

»The Titans @ 8 might want to leap frog the 9ers at a chance at a QB.

Moving down two picks might still net us their #2
Pick #39 or their 3rd round pick #77 and their 5th round pick.

Now THIS I like a lot! Grabbing Robert Quinn or Julio Jones, having an extra third allowing us to get a terrific value pick (Colin McCarthy, Leonard Hankerson, Vincent Brown, Marcus Cannon, Marvin Austin, Bruce Carter, Mason Foster, Chimdi Chekwa, Robert Sands, or Deunta Williams) depending on who we get at 1 and 2, then have ANOTHER pick in the 5th for a QB, a RB, a FB, or a CB. That's a nice scenario.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If the Bills pass on a QB
We might get our fist phone call...

If the Bengals pass on one the phones will 'all' be lighting up...

If Arizona passes on a QB, we may need a switchboard operator or putting they will have Shurmur' personal assistant trying to screen calls like in a triage

You can think of a hundred different possibilities and still not figure out what will be the Journey we know as
'The NFL Draft'

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
By Pete Prisco (CBS)
March 2, 2011

1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. He fills a need and I don't buy this talk that he's falling. Have you watched the tape? Did you see his combine workout?

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. You can never have enough premier cover players. Peterson will learn at the feet of Champ Bailey.

3. Buffalo Bills: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. The Bills will likely consider a quarterback here, but I think they pass on one to take Bowers.
Bowers to a 34 team???

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. Even though Julio Jones ran faster, Green is the receiver NFL personnel talked up at the combine. He plays faster, that's for sure.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. They are in need of a franchise passer. If they don't get a vet -- think Donovan McNabb -- they might grab Gabbert here.

6. Cleveland Browns: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. They would love to plug this guy into their 3-4 defense. He is rising up the boards after a great Senior Bowl week and a good combine.
Well if we take him it won't be for our 34 defense.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska. They need to get a top-notch corner. This kid might be the cleanest of all the players. He ran under 4.4 at the combine.

8. Tennessee Titans: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama. You can never have enough good inside people, which is where he would play in their 4-3.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, T, Southern California. He weighed in at more 300 pounds, which is important for him. He played right tackle at USC but would move to the left side on the next level. The Cowboys could move Doug Free to the right side.

10. Washington Redskins: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. He didn't show well at the combine, but can make amends at his pro day. They need a quarterback.

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. It's time to get Mario Williams some speed help. Quinn is that guy.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa. They might be losing Ray Edwards and Clayborn has shown he has pass-rush ability.

13. Detroit Lions: Nate Solder, T, Colorado. They have to improve up front and this huge tackle would be a nice start.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. Don't believe the talk he is falling in this draft. It's not true. He has a foot issue, but it's nothing serious. If anything, he's going up.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama. His 40 time wasn't great at the combine, but neither was Emmitt Smith's time. He reminds me of Smith.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue. They've addressed this position a lot, but without success. This kid has Jaguars general manager Gene Smith written all over him.

17. New England Patriots (from Raiders): Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri. The pass rush has to improve from the outside and this kid can move from defensive end or rush outside linebacker in the Patriots' scheme.

18. San Diego Chargers: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. He is perfect for their 3-4 scheme. He will be a lot like Aaron Smith, the Steelers' 3-4 end.

19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, T-G, Boston College. He is a smart, hard-working lineman who could play either guard or left tackle. Age is a concern up front for this team.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State. They need to amp up a pass rush that wasn't very effective. This kid's Sugar Bowl tape should excite them about that.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Gabe Carimi, T, Wisconsin. They are rebuilding their offensive line and Carimi could step in and start at right tackle.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado. He has great size and good speed. Off-the-field issues are a concern. He sure is cocky.

24. New Orleans Saints: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina. He missed last season for off-the-field issues, but he wowed them at the combine. He was considered a top-10 pick before the season. Even with the signing of Shaun Rogers to a one-year deal, this makes sense.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas. They badly need a long-term answer and Pete Carroll isn't one to shy away from players with problems.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia. They didn't get what was expected from Jarrett Johnson last season and Sergio Kindle is still a question mark.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Cameron Jordan, DE, California. They need to get better at left end. Jordan has that left-end look, a bigger end who can hold up against the run.

28. New England Patriots: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland. The playoffs taught us how much they missed the deep speed. Smith has that.

29. Chicago Bears: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois. They let Tommie Harris go, which means they need help inside. They take the local kid to take a step in that direction.

30. New York Jets: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh. With Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards possibly leaving, they need to get help outside.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas. They need an upgrade at corner and Williams is considered the fourth guy in this draft. He fits their style of corner.

32. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA. He didn't have a great combine, but he's a productive player who would fit in the Packers' 3-4 scheme at outside linebacker.

Link

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
If we trade out of the top 10, we better be getting some pics next year also...

ESPECIALLY if said team trading with us is trading to get their "Franchise QB"

I'm tired of giving people Franchise QBs... I don't care how he turns out, if you want him that bad, I want something in return...

(Still can't believe we dropped 12 picks and didn't get a 1st the next year... )

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah those next year picks don't do much for me either

Legend
Legend
Mallet in the 1st? Really doubt that happens.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If we trade out of the top 10, we better be getting some pics next year also...

ESPECIALLY if said team trading with us is trading to get their "Franchise QB"

I'm tired of giving people Franchise QBs... I don't care how he turns out, if you want him that bad, I want something in return...

(Still can't believe we dropped 12 picks and didn't get a 1st the next year... )

I'm with you. It's about time we bend another team over the table instead of us being the ones who have been bent!

I'd be happy with Green or any one of the top 3 DL guys though.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Still can't believe we dropped 12 picks and didn't get a 1st the next year... )

I hear you loud and clear, but that guy aint pulling the trigger any more.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Still can't believe we dropped 12 picks and didn't get a 1st the next year... )

I hear you loud and clear, but that guy aint pulling the trigger any more.

Yeah, but the triggers he pulled still linger as we look at our current holes for this draft.

We desperately need an impact WR, which is terribly sad, as we spent two high picks on them.

But how do you switch to a 4-3 with next to no viable linemen and not take a DL high?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

But how do you switch to a 4-3 with next to no viable linemen and not take a DL high?

and with so many potential elite DL in the draft (Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Quinn specifically. But, also deep with Watt, Jordan, Aldon, Heyward, Paea, Kerrigan in the next tier).

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

and with so many potential elite DL in the draft (Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Quinn specifically. But, also deep with Watt, Jordan, Aldon, Kerrigan, Paea, Corey Liuget, Wilkerson or even Marvin Austin in the next (2) tiers).

There I fixed it for you...

And then there is Brooks Reed and Houston who could also sneak into the fist round.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
don't know how I left off Liuget. but yeah, you solidified that even further.

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
My latest Scenario with QB going #1
Overall:

1. CAR -- QB, Blaine Gabbert

2. DEN -- DT, Nick Fairley

3. BUF -- DL, Marcell Dareus

4. CIN -- WR, AJ Green

5. ARI -- OLB, Von Miller

6. CLE -- CB, Patrick Peterson

7. SF -- CB, Prince Amukamara

8. TEN -- QB, Cam Newton

9. DAL -- DE, Cameron Jordan

10. WAS -- WR, Julio Jones

11. HOU -- DE, J.J. Watt

12. MIN -- DE, DaQuan Bowers

13. DET -- DE, Robert Quinn

14. STL -- OT, Tyron Smith

15. MIA -- QB Christian Ponder

16. JAC -- DE, Ryan Kerrigan

17. NE -- DT, Cory Liuget

18. SD -- DT, Muhammed Wilkerson

19. NYG -- OL, Mike Pouncey

20. TB -- DE, Adrian Clayborn

21. KC -- OT, Anthony Costanzo

22. IND -- OT, Nate Solder

23. PHL -- OT, Gabe Carimi

24. NO -- DE, Aldon Smith

25. SEA -- RB, Mark Ingram

26. BAL -- OL, Ben Ijalana

27. ATL -- OL, Danny Watkins

28. NE -- DE/LB, Brooks Reed

29. NYJ -- NT, Phil Taylor

30. CHI -- OT, Derek Sherrod

31. PITT -- CB, Jimmy Smith

32. GB -- CB, Aaron Williams

» QB, Jake Locker to the Bills @ pick 34.

» QB, Ryan Mallett to the Bengals @ pick 35.

» QB Colin Kaepernick to the Redskins @ pick 41

» QB Andy Dalton to the Vikings @ pick 43

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/19/11 01:09 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Not that it really matters, But why would the Panthers take Gabbert when they picked two QB's last season, one of them in the 2nd round.. (claussen) and another in the 6th round (Pike) not to mention they still have Matt Moore who may or may not be anyone deserving consideration.

Just saying, do you really think they'll take a QB as the 1st overall pick?

I got no issue with Peterson with our 1st pick....

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/19/11 01:53 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
John Fox drafted those guys. John Fox is no longer around.

And it has been said that they didn't like what they saw out of Clausen last year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And it has been said that they didn't like what they saw out of Clausen last year.

Ok, that makes good sense,. Thanks for clearing that up for me..

But they do still have the same front office right? Just wondering,.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
I believe they do. Marty Hurney is there GM.

I think them drafting Gabbert is more of a possibility because of their lack of confidence in Clausen than anything else.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Ok, that makes good sense,. Thanks for clearing that up for me..

But they do still have the same front office right? Just wondering,.

They still have Jerry Richardson.

They do not have a 2nd round pick this year, so that went into my thinking here too. They have a need at DT, but I think they can find some good talent later in their draft. DE would also be tempting, but I think they would like to resign the ones they have (FA Charles Johnson who had 12 sacks last year) and they drafted Greg Hardy in the 1st round in 09 who they think will continue to develop.

AJ Green who also would fill a need for them here, but not at the number one pick overall.

I don't think that the Panthers are sold on Clausen as their future QB at least not enough to pass on the top one of the class.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/19/11 03:19 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Hey.. I've been thinking lately..

Does anyone think that if AJ Green is there at 5 that Arizona pulls the trigger on him?

Look at this scenario:

1) There has been a lot of buzz that Arizona will bring in Donovan McNabb .

2) Fitzgerald has been complaining about the QB spot, and also about Boldin leaving. So... Draft AJ Green and you have McNabb throwing to Fitzgerald and AJ Green. I like that if I'm them.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hey.. I've been thinking lately..

Does anyone think that if AJ Green is there at 5 that Arizona pulls the trigger on him?

Look at this scenario:

1) There has been a lot of buzz that Arizona will bring in Donovan McNabb .

2) Fitzgerald has been complaining about the QB spot, and also about Boldin leaving. So... Draft AJ Green and you have McNabb throwing to Fitzgerald and AJ Green. I like that if I'm them.

I think that Arizona will be better served in bringing in a veteran QB who has a few years left, because they are a veteran team for the most part.
I would have to think that LB is a much bigger need for them, then drafting another WR opposite Fitzgerald, but anything is possible.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) The wacky world of Mocking

Link Copied to Clipboard