Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Charlie Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
LINK

Just when you thought the rancor between the NFL and players had peaked, along comes Adrian Peterson.

In a wide-ranging interview with Yahoo! Sports, the star Minnesota Vikings running back compared the league's labor situation to slavery.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" Peterson said. "People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money ... the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money."

Peterson's remarks were later removed from the Yahoo! Sports post. The interviewer, Doug Farrar, said he believed that Peterson did not literally mean to compare the NFL's contentious labor dispute with the institution of slavery.

"I want to give him the opportunity to provide context as opposed to just running with it," Farrar tweeted.

At least one NFL player took issue with Peterson's analogy. Ryan Grant of the Packers tweeted that he "totally" disagreed with the comments, adding that there is "actually still slavery existing in our world.. Literal modern day slavery.. That was a very misinformed statement."

"But I understand what point he was trying to make," Grant tweeted. "I just feel like he should have been advised a little differently."

It's worth noting Peterson was interviewed just 15 minutes after the union filed papers to decertify so emotions were running high - and words were coming out unfiltered. In fact, when discussing the hot-button topic, the player seemed to realize he should push the self-edit button mid-sentence:

"All some people see is, 'Oh, we're not going to be around football.' But how the players look at it ... the players are getting robbed. They are. The owners are making so much money off of us to begin with. I don't know that I want to quote myself on that..."

Legend
Legend
All in favor of a High Tech Lynching,, Raise your hands

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
2nd String
2nd String
H
Sounds like a lot of people are making excuses for Adrian Peterson. I'd love to be a slave that plays a game and gets paid millions and has the freedom to live his life as he chooses.

But, yeah, it must be terrible AP.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The NFL can be the NFL without every single player in the league today. There are millions of people that would die to be in there position.

The NFL made these players it's not the other way around, the NFL was around decades before they were and will be there decades after, I think it's time some of these players realize that. Half the guy's in the NFL wouldn't make it in the real world if it weren't for football.

Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure the definition of slavery includes the fact that you don't get paid. Call me crazy.

Now, AP, you want to say that it's not fair, or that the owners are mean? Fine. But slavery? C'mon...

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What the Owners need to do is....This:

1. Rookies 250K

2. 2-3 Yr. 350K - 500K

3. 4-5 Yr. 650K - 750K

4. 6Yr. + 1 mil.

5. The top 10 players on the team, After rookie year: 2.5 - 5.5 mil.

The top 10 players would be decided by the FO & paid as such. All players
not interested in playing now would be dismissed and other players willing
to play for the amounts listed will get a try-out. Thank You for trying out.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
BRING IT !!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Come on now, Adrian, everyone knows that being an NFL player is more akin to prostitution. If you're going to make an analogy, at least get it right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Like i said before all these ego maniac players are out of there frickin mind and no its not just football its basketball tooo ... The players think they can do whatever they want because they can throw a ball or shoot a ball ... Is peterson crazy or what. Slavery does he even know what slavery is i dont think these players are even smart enough to know what it is .. first lebron now peterson unbeleivable

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

1. Rookies 250K

2. 2-3 Yr. 350K - 500K

3. 4-5 Yr. 650K - 750K

4. 6Yr. + 1 mil.

You forgot the rest:

General admission: $5.00
Reserved Seating: $10.00
Inside the 4O yd lines, up to 25 rows up, $15.00
Beer: $1.00
Hot Dog: $.50
T-shirts: $10.00
Hats: $10.00
Jerseys: $29.95
Bobbleheads: Free at the gate
Enjoying an affordable day at the stadium: Priceless

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
My first reaction is, "WOW." Does this guy have the slightest idea of what the regular everyday person is going through with the economy and other job related troubles?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Do you agree with him Charlie?

#gmstrong
C
Charlie Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Do you agree with him Charlie?

Of course I do! Damn that Abraham Lincoln and his emancipation proclamation! African-Americans should be upset that they were freed from the burden of being millionaires when they were in Slavery!!!

(I am being sarcastic)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

My first reaction is, "WOW." Does this guy have the slightest idea of what the regular everyday person is going through with the economy and other job related troubles?

Well, they used to have an idea when they were young,...then they forgot where they came from,....

No excuse, but we lead, raise and coerce them this way.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
yea really. the owners are in general smarter than idiots like peterson, but they're just as greedy. If people don't think so, they're damn fools. At least you know where the players stands.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I can't even begin to fathom a context of the phrase that he used where he wouldn't look like a total moron.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
AP is gonna wish he'd kept his mouth closed. Sometimes there is some truth to that adage.. give a fool enough rope and he'll hang himself.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" Peterson said.

This statement alone, by one player, has the potential to turn the tide of public opinion to support the owners.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1st String
1st String
By tomorrow afternoon, this statement will be "clarified" by AP via his agent. "I was taken out of context" is what he'll say. "I am so lucky to be playing a game that I love and getting paid to do so" he'll continue. "I was just saying how players are powerless against the finances of the owners...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

Just one more example of greed gone wild. Enough already! Why doesn't some judge put a gag order on everyone involved in this mess until it is settled?

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Mine was to wonder what this was doing in the Pure Football forum.

Now I must go and email a Vikings fan buddy of mine and laugh at him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

1. Rookies 250K

2. 2-3 Yr. 350K - 500K

3. 4-5 Yr. 650K - 750K

4. 6Yr. + 1 mil.

You forgot the rest:

General admission: $5.00
Reserved Seating: $10.00
Inside the 4O yd lines, up to 25 rows up, $15.00
Beer: $1.00
Hot Dog: $.50
T-shirts: $10.00
Hats: $10.00
Jerseys: $29.95
Bobbleheads: Free at the gate
Enjoying an affordable day at the stadium: Priceless

let's lower the price of our cable tv bills while we are at it and what we pay for goods and services b/c of the expensive advertising.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

I'm buying a new tree stand, come fall I'll be spending my Sundays in the great outdoors, Bow hunting......If these players wanna play great if not thats ok too, I'm not gonna lose any sleep or crying time for them or the owners. Both sides have a good thing going, but now greed is ruining it, I'm sure one of these days they will all be happy hand holders again, it will get done, but at who's expense, I bet my money it's on the fans expence, higher ticket prices, higher parking fee's higher cost to hold season tickets higher this higher that

Some people just need to know when to shut up, i.e Adrian Peterson

Joe Thomas or Adrian Peterson...............Thomas everyday, everytime.

Legend
Legend
An obvious "now-there's-an-end" to THAT argument.

As for the tree stand,...I'm gonna be doing more NASCAR and college football, working with neighbors on a music combo, continuing the Fairlane restoration,...I have plenty to occupy my time.

I really hate to sell my football card collection.

And there's a good few AP's in there,....

Last edited by OoooRahJoice; 03/16/11 08:43 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There are roughly 1500 players in the NFL. Is it really a surprise when one or two of them say something stupid?

Hell, there are what? 250 people registered on here? And I see dumber stuff than that on here on an hourly basis.......

This is a non-story, IMO, and as far as turning the tide of opinion against the players.....I doubt it makes much of a difference, really.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't recall slaves fumbling their tools.. or stiff arming a would be tackler..owner into the turf..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 03/16/11 10:47 AM.
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
All I can say is, "DUH, Winning" If you know what I mean

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a true Browns fan. GO BROWNS!!!!!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And I see dumber stuff than that on here on an hourly basis.......

Like right before you hit the "submit" button?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Apparently concussions and massive head trauma in the NFL is a bigger problem than we suspected!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Like right before you hit the "submit" button

You've got twice as many posts as I do and Daman has 7 times as many. I'll let you figure out who might have more dumb posts.......

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Good points, C — Clutch. Struck me this way: Without the NFL, AP is much, much less if a celeb at all; without AP, the NFL is doing pretty quite dadgum nicely, thank you very much, and the AP Sequel will be gloried up and emplaced. Most of us would volunteer for a year or so of this CyberSlavedom and sit the bench and fill the jersey for third of what he will make. I would throw in the whine and lunacy for nothing. Gratis. If it is too rough or rotten or unfair, pack.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
(just clicking)

I think people need to chill out abit when jumping all over a players back for one statement, A.P. has been a model citizen his entire career in the NFL.. I don`t agree with what he says, but I understand the sentiment behind the statement.

Claiming he is what is wrong with the NFL and he is just greedy is kind of short-sighted imo.

Legend
Legend
No less short-sighted than him being handed millions of dollars and a life in the lap of luxury - in which he most certainly employs his own servants - and then calling his life of grace an equivalent of slavery.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Prpl, the only correction I would make to what you said is.. he wasn't "handed" anything, he did work darn hard and make the most of his God given talent to get where he is... but other than that, I agree.

yebat' Putin
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?"

Well he has a point, it is kinda like slavery.

In that there is absolutely nothing in common with slavery. Except...uh...they all do physical work.

Excuse me while I take a visit to the slavery hall of fame, then in the fall, I watch the multi million dollar "slaves" play other muti million dollar "slaves".

I've never heard a more ignorant comment in my life. And Peterson "went" to college for 3 years. Unbelievable.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

(just clicking)

I think people need to chill out abit when jumping all over a players back for one statement, A.P. has been a model citizen his entire career in the NFL.. I don`t agree with what he says, but I understand the sentiment behind the statement.

Claiming he is what is wrong with the NFL and he is just greedy is kind of short-sighted imo.

No less short-sighted than him popping off on short notice about slavery. He is now an idiot.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I don't think he is an idiot .. people can do or say stupid things without being stupid himself. It doesn't make him stupid though because up until this point he has basically been a class act and the poster boy for decent football players (or at least one of them).

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Good points, C — Clutch. Struck me this way: Without the NFL, AP is much, much less if a celeb at all; without AP, the NFL is doing pretty quite dadgum nicely, thank you very much, and the AP Sequel will be gloried up and emplaced. Most of us would volunteer for a year or so of this CyberSlavedom and sit the bench and fill the jersey for third of what he will make. I would throw in the whine and lunacy for nothing. Gratis. If it is too rough or rotten or unfair, pack.

the players and owners need each to coexist. the players are the best at what they do, and the owners have the deep pockets, and business acumen to put the whole thing together. Put some scabs in there for the long haul, see how long the league prospers. And Vice versa.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Quote:

the players and owners need each to coexist. the players are the best at what they do, and the owners have the deep pockets, and business acumen to put the whole thing together. Put some scabs in there for the long haul, see how long the league prospers. And Vice versa.

Lol what makes you think all the owners have deep pockets do they have a endless supply of money in there basement or do they have money makin machines in there house .Making a statement that the owners have endless supplies of money or deep pockets is incorrect its not free to operate stadiums and teams .Dont get me wrong i think the owners a part of the problem they made these money hungrey players.

R
2nd String
2nd String
R
j/c

"Don't be silly Adrian Peterson"

Legend
Legend

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Adrian Peterson says the NFL is like slavery

Link Copied to Clipboard