B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Lions trade Bly to Broncos for Tatum Bell, Foster
ESPN

link

The Detroit Lions have agreed to send cornerback Dre' Bly to the Denver Broncos in exchange for running back Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster. Trades cannot become official until Friday, the first day of the league year.

Bly, a two-time Pro Bowl performer who earned a Super Bowl ring as a member of the 1999 St. Louis Rams, did not fit well in the Tampa 2 defensive scheme employed by second-year head coach Rod Marinelli and new defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Thus the Lions granted Bly and his agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade two weeks ago.

The New Orleans Saints, New York Giants and Washington Redskins also were in the running for the 29-year-old Bly.

Neither Bly nor McGuire was available for comment.

In Denver, Bly will join Champ Bailey in forming one of the game's top cornerback tandems. The Broncos needed a replacement for Darrent Williams, who was killed in a drive-by shooting after a New Year's Eve party in Denver.

Bly is considered one of the game's best big-play cornerbacks. In eight seasons he has intercepted 31 passes, forced 17 fumbles, and scored eight touchdowns (five interception returns, two fumble returns, one punt return). Last season Bly tied for the team lead with three interceptions and led the Lions with 18 passes defended and four forced fumbles.

Bly has one year remaining on the $22 million free-agent contract he signed in 2003 and the Broncos are expected to begin working on a long-term agreement with McGuire.

Bell, 25, became a starter for the first time last season, his third, and led the Broncos with 1,025 rushing yards. In three seasons with the Broncos he has rushed for 2,342 yards and 13 touchdowns and owns a career yards-per-carry average of 4.9. The speedy Bell provides depth and insurance for the Lions in the event top back Kevin Jones' foot injury keeps him sidelined into next season.

Foster started 45 out of a possible 48 games the past three seasons at right tackle. The Lions were last in the league in rushing and allowed the second-most sacks (63) last season, so improving the offensive line is one of the team's top offseason priorities.

Michael Smith is an NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Last edited by Browns Lifer; 03/01/07 02:49 PM.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Hmm... They get a running back AND a tackle. Welcome to Detroit Brady Quinn (or Russell)??

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
they got a RED AND BLACK out of the deal... can't go wrong with that..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
my thoughts exactly, they must be targeting one of the QB's.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Seems like a steal by the Lions to me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmmmm I knew they were up to something..but this means they WILL NOT BE DRAFTING JOE THOMAS..
I thought they wanted defensive help..and they still might trade down if possible..but it looks like they are targeting a QB, and I think it's Quinn...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hmm... They get a running back AND a tackle. Welcome to Detroit Brady Quinn (or Russell)??

Abso freakin lutly,,, My guess is that Russell goes to Oakland, Quinn ends up in Detroit and Joe Thomas lands in our laps,,,

Worse things could happen right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Rookie
Rookie
And the Cleveland Browns select Joe Thomas with the 3rd overall pick in the draft! Yeehawww..

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Hmmmm I knew they were up to something..but this means they WILL NOT BE DRAFTING JOE THOMAS..
I thought they wanted defensive help..and they still might trade down if possible..but it looks like they are targeting a QB, and I think it's Quinn...

Tacker...could it be?

Too soon to count on anything but it sure looks like Detroit is now free to go QB with Foster at T.

Interesting, a player for player swap and no exchange of draft positions.

If the Browns are locked in on Thomas now, it's gonna take one helluva deal to get that #3 out of Savages fingers.

We shall see...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

If the Browns are locked in on Thomas now, it's gonna take one helluva deal to get that #3 out of Savages fingers.

We shall see...

The two questions are:
1. how much does Phil really like Shaffer?
2. how healty really is Tucker?

I have never really thought we were going to have a shot at Thomas until 2:00 today.

I would still definetly take a mulity pick / swap trade down. as long as the second or third picks are 1st day.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
All Pro
All Pro
Why does this take them out of the Joe Thomas running?

Foster played RT for the Broncos...and Thomas would come in at LT

HACK

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well they have Backus at left tackle and they had a hole at RT. This fills that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They signed Backus..their LT...they aren't gonna move him now that they signed Foster at RT.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
They also lost a guard/tackle in Verba

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I would still definetly take a mulity pick / swap trade down. as long as the second or third picks are 1st day.

Short of Minnesota forking over their entire 1st day draft (won't happen), I'll take Thomas and not even think twice about it. Ultimately, you fix two spots with the one pick (sliding Shaffer over to RT). That works for me.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Well they have Backus at left tackle and they had a hole at RT. This fills that.

I forgot about Backus...

HACK

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have been following this closely....*L*

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

They also lost a guard/tackle in Verba

Verba was a waste in Detroit (shocking). The Lions will have a shot at one of the top guard prospects in Round 2 if they don't go for defensive help. For once, it looks like Millen has some idea what he's doing. He's bound to screw something up.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

We shall see...

The two questions are:
2. how healty really is Tucker?

I have never really thought we were going to have a shot at Thomas until 2:00 today.

Roc...I don't know how to break this to you but Tucker can not be counted on even if he looks great for now.

How do the Browns predict when a mental problem will put Tucker on the sidelines?

The issue of mental disabilities so severe as to bench a player is new to me. There was that case of a Raiders center who had some problems just before their Super Bowl appearance a few years ago and they didn't keep him on their roster very long.

Shaffer at RT might be a logical move if the Browns take a LT but one year of watching Shaffer makes me want to look for other options as he is getting paid very well and the return on our investment is not very good so far.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I posted about hearing this on Detroit sports radio on tuesday and it was deleted because i couldnt provide anything other than what was said, during what show, on what station, and at what time. I posted it originally beacause it seemed that the Lions were adressing their RB need and lining up to take JT.

I couldnt be happier.

That being said, for some reason I have a feeling that we wont take Thomas even if he is there. Things have been lined up for us to trade down this year. This is the year we do it with the guy the fans want on the board.

The only reason I say this is because I am a browns fan. Along with that comes dissapointment.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Abso freakin lutly,,, My guess is that Russell goes to Oakland, Quinn ends up in Detroit and Joe Thomas lands in our laps,,,

Worse things could happen right?

No, the worse thing that could happen is we pass on him for Peterson

Now I've been adamant that they aren't interested in Thomas, but getting Foster doesn't mean they view him as their new starting right tackle. He was on his way out in Denver, so they may view him as a great swingman (see Kelly Butler, but better). Still, I think the Lions have now painted themselves into a corner. When they gush about Thomas, the prevailing attitude around the league is going to be "Yeah, right."

So............starting an office pool...............who's going to be the first Cleveland beat-writer HACK to profess Thomas the guy and say he should have been the target all along

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

We shall see...

Not if he loves Peterson just as much.

The Bucs would love to have Johnson fall to them, so Savage could probably drop down to 5 and get Peterson.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It's a question that we've always known the answer to (assuming we've paid enough attention ).

When we gave him the contract, a couple of us looked it over and came to the determination that he's a left tackle for now, and a right tackle in the future. Then he played like a right tackle playing out of position (I'm saddened that more fans can't see this ) and Savage comes right out and says he's here "for now." That's as close as an admission that any GM will ever give that a player is going to be moved.

So the answer to the question is that Opie likes him, but as a right tackle when we can find a real left tackle.

Quote:

I've always thrown the BS flag on the Lions with their talk of Thomas, and have felt that we'd have a shot at him. My fear is that Savage falls in love with Peterson and doesn't go for the SMART selection. Peterson is a great talent, and looks to me like he should crank out several 1000 yard seasons. But he only addresses one position, while Thomas effectively solves the left tackle position while simulaneously puts Shaffer where he belongs at right tackle. Tucker is broken down and near the end. He's missed a full seasons worth of games over the past 3 by breaking down not only physically (which is expected) but mentally (which is disturbing). His time is up, even if we can get one more year out of him.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If he gets a stud guard in free agency, Tucker says he's cured, Fraley or O'hara signs and a guard in the 2nd round..I CAN see that happening. How much can you put in the Oline ?

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I know that you're actually mirroring a point I touched on in another thread when talking about how much we can invest in the O-line, but my short answer is this:

However much it takes

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

The Detroit Lions have agreed to send cornerback Dre' Bly to the Denver Broncos in exchange for running back Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster. Trades cannot become official until Friday, the first day of the league year.

Been thinking about this and it would seem that Detroit got one heckofa deal if this is all there is to it.

Player for player swaps are rare and I wonder if there is not more to this deal that involves draft picks that will be announced at a later date??

On the surface, I just can't see the Broncos giving up two starters on offense for one starter on defense who may be on the back side of his prime with 9 yrs in the NFL.

I would not be surprised if more news is coming on this deal.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
And oh ... Savage has to make his free agency moves NOW and can't hope a left tackle is there in the draft.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Mac, Bell fell out of favor and was not going to be the starter. Foster had been benched and fell out of favor as well. So in the end, neither guy was a starter.

On the flipside, the Bronco's needed a starting CB after the death of their guy. So they essentially sent two former starters to the Lions for a current and legit starter.

The deal makes perfect sense to me, and I doubt there are more players or high draft picks involved.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

I know that you're actually mirroring a point I touched on in another thread when talking about how much we can invest in the O-line, but my short answer is this:

However much it takes

Everytime I look in the mirror I scream

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
That's why I no longer have mirrors in my house

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There was that case of a Raiders center who had some problems just before their Super Bowl appearance a few years ago

I think his name was Barton or something like that. If memory serves me correctly, it was some kinda chemical imbalance in his system that caused him to act in a kinda nutty manner.. Thus a physical problem that manifested itself as a mental disorder...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't he get shot by the cops in Mexico or something?

H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
That was Barret Robbins, and his issue was bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder isn't manifested from a physical ailment to my knowledge.

H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
I think that was in Miami... Miami... Mexico... not too far off.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Remember that trade? Most folks thought that was kinda strange at the time. I think this deal is legit, and just following what the bronco's plan have been. Shannahan seems to get it that to win the big one you need an ok offense but a superior defense. (or a AWESOME offense or defense)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just clickin,

Don't get your hopes up to high people cause Detroit is still looking at possibly trading that # 2 pick and if they can get Arizona to bite Thomas may still not be there for us to pick. Detroit is looking at DEs in addition to possibly a QB and if they can get Arizona to trade picks they'll probably have one or more of the following left at pick # 5: QB Quinn, DE Adams and DE Anderson to choose from. It depends on how interested Arizona is in Thomas and how much they think were interested in Thomas.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ya thats what my Lions freind said.

Look for Zona to trade up for Thomas....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Didn't read much...Stopped here for a sec...

Sittin' at the bar watching the Network saw this...hmmmmmm...

U bet it will Mac...And NOTHING less than next years First Rounder should be considered if Zona wants to come up...And that INCLUDES the 5 pick and a TWO this year...

Screw the 3rd/4th/5ths and such...If Zona wants Thomas IT WILL COST U...Don't like it???...We gots ourselves a STUD at LT for 12 years...THAT'S the ransom I wanna see...

U DO NOT trade the pick concerning a player of that caliber for ANYTHING...PEEN...

This changes things...ALOT...

Detroit's scanning Quinn/Russel without doubt...As well they SHOULD BE...Solid move by what most including ME thinks is the 2nd worst top cheese in the NFL...Millen...2nd to Davis...And guess what...They both have the 1 and 2 picks...lmao...

We're sittin' pretty with those 2 in front of us...lol...

I call em' SC...And that ain't Sport Coupe...It's Senility & Clueless...lmao...

Detroit can't possibly be thinking Defense...Branch/Anderson/Adams aren't top 3 caliber...

Go Browns!!!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
The Lions talking up a guy just to create trade interest was always a possibility. From the standpoint of the Cards, let's hope that they resign Davis.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only thing that screws this up is two-fold.
1-Detroit trades with someone who takes Thomas
2-Philadelphia Cream Cheese takes Peterson and allows Thomas to fall

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lions Trade Bly for Tatum Bell and Foster

Link Copied to Clipboard