Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
These things rarely come to be but this rumor has been floating for a few days now and it gives us something to talk about lol.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Ok ... and completely understood. I guess that I just heard it this morning / late last night ... and it seems as though 24 hours ago 99% of Browns fans would assume a deal with minnesota meant moving DOWN 6 spots.

Now literally overnight because of one rumor, more than half of everyone believes we already have the trade contract drawn up. ..

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Just clicking,

Not for nothin, but the more I think about this, the less likely I think there is any truth to it...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No one believes this is true but it is fun to speculate.

The players I would think they would be looking at would be either Amukamara or Luiget.

Or Maybe it is Minnesota looking to trade up to #6 to grab Gabbert.

If this trade does happen I would expect that Seneca was part of the deal (or less likely Delhomme).

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
That's where I'm at,....this is a smoke screen. The Vikings can't be that stupid if they think next year's pick is automatically a QB they want in the top 4-6. What if the Browns make the playoffs by handing us the 12th pick this year, and next year's Browns pick is #30 ? (Hahhaha,...)

I don't buy it. Trading up to get Peterson (or whoever it is H&H think they HAVE TO get), I see THAT. Trading DOWN now to get unknowns,....BS.

Smokescreen,...Crapshoot.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
They might be bucking for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year and think that having two first rounders next year might be able to secure it.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I don't think it is a smokescreen and probably have had talks, just as many teams have..Minnesota needs to recoup picks and they would like a bidding war which includes next years #1 so they could potentially have two #1's to move up for Luck.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Did anyone ever say which "league source" released this info? I talked about this with my buddies (one browns fan, one a lions fan) today ...

If the Browns released the info ... it could be a way for other teams late in the first to give us a call and say "oh, you want back in the first ... well what about moving up to 23 / 25 / 27 " (or whatever the number is) ... then we could play the "well ... we don't know if we really want that pick" game.

If the Vikings released this info, it's to see if any other team wants to trade up with them to land whoever they think the Browns will take. Assuming it's Julio, maybe this is the way for the vikes to get the Rams or Dolphins or ANYONE to call them up, and they can try to make a few trades back late into the round before taking mallet / ponder / etc. the same way that we backed out and took mack ... 3 or 4 trade downs is a great way to add overall talent and the vikes are getting old...

It could also have been Dallas that released this info! Dallas might want an OLine or Amukamara ... but neither at 9 and maybe both could be had at 14 or so. They could convince a team like Saint Louis to trade up so that they will be guaranteed to grab Julio ... then it doesn't look like such a reach if they do net a 2nd rounder PLUS still pick up the best tackle in the draft at 14 or so instead of 9 ...

It could have been from Cleveland because maybe they already contacted another team to move up to (let's just say) 17 to take New England's 1st - 1st rounder ... but New England demanded the farm. A first and 2nd next year plus our first this year ... and the Browns are trying to make it look like more options exist to put the pressure on Billy B.

It could have been Minnesota who likes a player ... Amukamara? Quinn? Watt? no idea ... but if they are worried that another team would jump them to grab THAT player, then by saying they are shopping the pick and trading out ... why in the world would anyone move up if they don't have to to leapfrog them? The last thing Minny wants is to miss out on a first round guy that they love and have to play him twice a year if he goes to Detroit (think Ngata).

The point is ... I can completely see anything happening in the draft ... I really am prepared to see any sorts of trades. I even admit then when the clock starts and Carolina is "on the clock" I'm putting away all my mocks and all just to enjoy it, because after the 2nd or 5th or 8th pick ... we could have trades, reaches, players falling, etc. AND I am excited!

But answer me this ... why in the world IF either the Browns or the Vikes were going to make this deal would either team want to let it leak? If anyone knows the Browns want Julio at 12, then they only gotta move up to 11. If that happens, then Cleveland doesn't get their guy, and Minnesota loses out on an extra 1st next year.

I just don't buy into anything I hear right now.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just don't buy into anything I hear right now.

Bingo.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I repeat myself from the Heckert presser post:

Mark Twain is on record as saying that the most ferocious liars on earth are Missouri mule traders.

I beg to differ. The most ferocious liar on the planet is a NFL GM one week before the draft.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
C
Legend
Legend
C
I may have read this somewhere...

There's no way the Browns would pick up the Vikings No. 12 pick and give up 2012 1st and 2011 2nd. Totally false rumor. Not a chance.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

If it is true then my guess is that Holmgren wants to come out of this draft with both a top WR and a top DL. At # 6 either A.J. Green or J. Jones should be there and at # 12 one of the following should be there R. Quinn, C. Jordan, A. Smith, or R. Kerrigan.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Or ..... maybe he wants an absolutely dominating DL from this draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Possibly, But he did say he was lookin for a home run hitter which i would take to be an offensive player.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Well, is a home run hitter always an offensive player, or just a game changer.

I just think about getting 3 seriously good DL out of this draft .... 2 game changers and one of Heckert's "3rd-4th round pass rushers". Man that would really be taking advantage of this draft and its strengths to build a dominating unit.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I just wanted to add this .....

Imagine if we came out of this draft with Fairley and Kerrigan to add to a DL with Rubin. Whoa! Add in a guy like Marcus Benard as a situational pass rusher at worst ... and maybe a 4th round DE who fits Heckert's profile and now we're on our way to a dominating defense in year one.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We still wouldn't be because rooks take time, esp DL...for every Suh there are 100 McCoys...and Fairley compares to McCoy (penetrating 3tech), who did nothing for 10 games in Tampa last season

Whoever we draft don't expect much next season...

Oh and for the thread:

1. It won't happen
2. It won't happen
3. If it happens, I' ll lose a ton of faith in Heckert (we won't go to the SB anyway and throwing away a high 2nd is stupid, because next year's 12th best player won't be too shabby too...we'd trade 3 Top 50 picks for 2 and that'd extremely stupid in our situation)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Green 6
Fairly 12

Let me say it 36 hours before the draft. I think Nick Fairley will be Kamerion Wimbley #2, Kamerion Wimbley never seemed to meet expectations, I hope he does it for another team.

Legend
Legend
I'm not alone in thinking Fairley is more like then next Haynesworth. Bad dude, takes lots of plays off, dirty, money is his #1 goal (not wins), and can disappear for long stretches in games. But that's just my worrying opinion. Who knows, he could be the next Suh/Sapp. If we take him, I hope he is.

I think Kam is a guy that plays hard and is a good teammate but doesn't have the skills to backup his draft position (which isn't his fault, he didn't select himself that high).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My opinon

Fairly = Gerrald Warren

Legend
Legend
I've heard that before but I don't think Warren was a bad guy or dirty. He just seemed to not care about backing up his contract. Haynesworth, is the total package of crap. Fairley seemed like the dirtiest player in the NCAAs last year (well, outside of that chick soccer play for New Mexico State ).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

My opinon

Fairly = Gerrald Warren

Where Fairley is drafted will determine what he will do in the NFL..

If a garbage team drafts him he will be a bust.. He won't have anything to play for other than money b/c he will feel like his team will never get over that hump..

Let him fall to the Cowboys, Vikings, etc and he will work even harder.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Nick Fairley

NO...Fairley is an unknown in that he was a JC transfer to Auburn and only started 2 games for Auburn as a Jr.

He became a starter as a Senior and had decent year...BUT...if you are a GM do you gamble that Fairley will continue to progress?

I say NO, Heckert will not gamble on a DT who has only one season starting in major college football....just too many question marks, IMO.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

two words.

smoke. screen.

I was thinking "Bull" and "crap" but the point is well taken.

This never happens. The Browns are not trading their #1 pick in next year's draft especially considering there's a good chance it's in the top 10 again.

But it makes for some fascinating discussions.......

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Got news for U..Heckert likes Fairley.the Browns like him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fairley is probably higher on Heckerts board than Dareus. He has the attributes that Heckert wants namely athleticism and pass rush ability. Mangini isn't calling the shots anymore.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From what I read Dareus is# 1 on their bosard,they think he can play DT/DE.But they don't think he'll be there @ 6.
After that I think PP is second,Green is third and Fairely is 4th..they're being quiet about him but I'm sure you read Heckerts comments on Fairley.
It might also be that PP/Fairley are the 2 players Heckert expects to be there .Well he mentioned one of two players will be ,and those two names seem likely.
I also think they have Quinn rated after Fairley.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/27/11 10:16 AM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yea.. Fairley shouldn't be higher than Dareus on anyone's board unless they have two HOF's sitting at DT... which no one has.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Heckert's gonna blow our minds...lol...

Newton
Dareus
Miller
Green
Peterson

Heck auctions off Gabbert to 8 Tenn and 10 Skins...Gets 39 or 41 for it...

Turns around and gives Minny 37 and 2012 1st rounder for the 12 pick and still has 39 or 41...

Go Browns!!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

These things rarely come to be but this rumor has been floating for a few days now and it gives us something to talk about lol.

Here's another thought...We know we're gonna move somewhere at some point...Just a matter of when...It's in Heckert's blood...

This is a real possibility in the top 5 picks taken...

Newton
Dareus
Miller
Green
Peterson

Now we sit with Gabbert and the phones ring to get ahead of Frisco at 7 for the QB...We end up with another 2nd rounder and go down...Take whoever...We now have 37 and somewhere near 40 in round 2...

This list is off Gosselins Top 100...Look at these guys...Is there anyone we'd be interested in packaging that second 2nd rounder and maybe a 5 to move up for in the 25-30 range as they drop???...And still have 37...

20, Mike Pouncey C Florida
21, Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
22, Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
23, Jake Locker QB Washington
24, Phil Taylor DT Baylor
25, Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
26, Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
27, Christian Ponder QB Florida State
28, Danny Watkins G Baylor
29, Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
30, Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
31, Aaron Williams CB Texas
32, Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State

Tenn at 8...They get Gabbert...We get...

8) Fairley DT (A perceived target of Heckert's)
25-27) Jimmy Smith CB
37) Sherrod OT---Baldwin/Little WR's

I need to stop thinking...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dude ,you are in a frenzy today..U remind me of when I went to pick up my boys from school last week and my 5 year came flying out of the building,ran to the playground,had this wild look in his face ,slammed his stuff down and was getting ready to start playing on something..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Dude ,you are in a frenzy today..U remind me of when I went to pick up my boys from school last week and my 5 year came flying out of the building,ran to the playground,had this wild look in his face ,slammed his stuff down and was getting ready to start playing on something..

LMAO...That's ME...It's fricken Xmas Eve!!!!!!!!!

Go Browns!!!
N
Legend
Legend
N
J/C

just because it's day before draft day and throwing things out there is fun.

how to turn our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks into 3 1st round picks.

‘the hood’ likes to trade down and accumulate more picks for the next seasons draft. however, this year, with so many picks, and a top-heavy 1st round, there is a chance that they could want a particular player and move up for him.

Here are some of our ‘options’ if we do decide to trade down trying to match trade value (picking one from each region of the draft for examples)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

#6 + #70 = 1840pts
#9 + #40 = 1850pts (w/ Dallas)
#17 + #28 + #60 = 1910pts (w/ NE)

#6 = 1600pts
#12 + #43 = 1670pts (w/ Minn)

I like the NE trade the best because we then have the ammunition to actually get back into the 1st round if someone drops we really like (#37+#60 =~ 20th overall selection). 3 1st round picks from our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks (possibly Watt, Carimi, and Liuget). ok, Watt likely doesn't fall that far, but Heyward isn't a bad fallback option on that plan.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Give me Peterson at 6, Jones at 12, and Hillis on the Madden cover, and I'll be one happy guy

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think we are going to trade down. Peterson or Gabbert s going to be there when we pick and somebody is going to give us something good to get one of them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Gabbert is there, and Peterson is gone, I have no issue with trading back.

However, Peterson is too good to pass up, IMO. It'd be hard for me to justify trading back if Peterson is on the board at 6.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Right. I agree. I just have a feeling Heckert/Holmgren/Shurmur want Julio Jones. We could probably still get him if we move back a few spots to the Texans spot at .

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
To hell with Fairly,he's a step late on those plays.Draft the chick,that's an attitude we need.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

Quote:

The only reason the vikings would even consider such a deal would be to land a certain QB in next years draft.

they'd be hoping we'd tank and they'd get Luck. imagine the outcry if that happened.

heck, if the season is cancelled, they likely have the #6 pick. we really shouldn't be trading away next year's #1 selection right now.

I don't like it either .Reminds me of the Jim Kelly for Tom Cousineau deal.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Personally I just don't Ever like the idea of giving up our 1st pick the following year....IMHO we should just stay at # 6 and pick the Best Available Player , IF both Green & Peterson look like they will be gone when we pick. I think we should move up to make sure that we get 1 of them.....The price won't be as steep as us giving up our 1st Rd. pick in 2012 + our # 37 in this Draft.... ....

The Mammal
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Cleveland Browns In Talks To Acquire Vikings First Round Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard