Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.cleveland.com/brown..._talking_w.html

Cleveland Browns are talking with teams about trading draft positions
Published: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 11:32 AM Updated: wednesday, april 27, 2011, 11:33 am
by tony grossi, the plain dealer The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have always been receptive to trading down from the No. 6 pick and recently have amped up efforts to do so.

"We are talking to people about trading. I am not going into any more detail than that," Browns President Mike Holmgren told The Plain Dealer.

Houston reportedly is trying to move up from No. 11 to take Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller or LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson. Miller might be unreachable for the Texans, but Peterson could still be on the board at No. 5 (Arizona).

The Browns' chances of trading down would be enhanced if Peterson or Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert were still available when their turn came up.

Holmgren said he has not set a limit as to how far he would be willing to move down.

"But the deal has to be right," he said. "It has to make absolute sense to us, otherwise we take the player. I know we need other things, but we just take the player."

A year ago, Holmgren inquired to St. Louis about "pulling a Mike Ditka" and trading most of his draft to move up to No. 1 for quarterback Sam Bradford. There is nobody in this draft that enticing to the Browns.

"We're not going to go that way," Holmgren said of moving up.

He also said it's "unlikely" the Browns would offer their 2012 No. 1 pick to acquire an additional first-round pick this year.

Unless something in the labor dispute changes over the next 24 hours, the Browns are operating under the assumption that only draft choices can be traded in this year's draft.

The teams looking to trade up are likely eyeing Patrick Peterson or Blaine Gabbert. It appears at least one of them will be there when it comes the Browns' turn to pick. Gabbert could go 4 or 5, but it seems more likely that he falls to the Browns' pick. I think the Cards are gun shy about taking a 1st round QB after the Matt Leinart experience, so they will likely either take Peterson for themselves or trade the pick to a team who wants him. The Niners @ 7 would likely take Gabbert, if he's still on the board. So, teams eyeing Gabbert would need to move up above the Niners, which could put the Browns in a nice position.

Legend
Legend
lol, gotta love the Silly Season.

"Browns looking to trade up for another 1st"

"Browns looking to trade down"

now we just need an article tomorrow that says "Browns looking to stay put at 6" and I think we'll have all of the bases covered

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

A year ago, Holmgren inquired to St. Louis about "pulling a Mike Ditka" and trading most of his draft to move up to No. 1 for quarterback Sam Bradford.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
it sounds better than the move up and around and back into the first articles.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

now we just need an article tomorrow that says "Browns looking to stay put at 6" and I think we'll have all of the bases covered

Laugh all u want...I guarantee u if Gabbert is still there at 6 we will seriously consider trading down...And Heck will do it...

And if Peterson is there???...We MUST take this kid...He's held for RANSOM...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
who was it that forgot to turn in their card a few years ago and it sent everyone into a frenzy?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Vikings.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

who was it that forgot to turn in their card a few years ago and it sent everyone into a frenzy?

Minnesota.

Twice.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Wasn't it the Vikings?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I believe it was Minnesota.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Laugh all u want...I guarantee u if Gabbert is still there at 6 we will seriously consider trading down...And Heck will do it...

Eat it up and actually take it serious all you want, this is nothing more than a garbage fluff article on a team doing proper due diligence and not ruling anything out. It is absolutely NO different than any other year, at all. We might trade up. We might trade down. We might pick where we're slotted.

Nobody knows jack squat, but the team will work to lay the groundwork for any scenario that might be of benefit to us... and that includes: trading up, trading down, not trading, etc... and they will talk those scenarios with every team they feel they can work with, and a few that they don't.

They do it and we hear about it now because there isn't time to do it any other way - you CAN'T wait to do it when you're on the clock unless you've laid groundwork for a scneario in advance.
:

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
p.s. Dont' get me wrong, it's fun to discuss our options, but what I'm saying is to not try to divine anything of our intentions from this sort of thing.

It's a nothing article that tells us absolutely nothing that you couldn't know off the top of your head as it is.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns Consider Picking Cotton
Published: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 12:00pm or am
by Mary Kay Blather & Tony Grossme

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have always been receptive to trading either up or down, or even possibly moving sideways from the No. 6 pick and recently have amped up efforts to make it appear they may or may not do so.

"We are talking to people about trading, but that's not our strategy," Browns President Mike Holmgren told reporters. "The plan all along has been to "Jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton."

The Browns' chances of trading down would be enhanced if someone would trade up.

Holmgren said he has not set a limit as to how far he would be willing to move down, stating, "That really depends on who is willing to move up. Or, we could move up if someone really wants to move down. We just don't know. What we do know is, we plan to "Jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton" as soon as the opportunity presents itself. We're hoping that comes either Thursday or Friday. Of course it may happen Saturday, or not at all. Of that much we're certain."

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I'd wager that if we all spent some time on other boards that there are identical threads on those boards - "the Seahawks are looking to trade up", "the Giants are looking to trade down", etc... all teams are exhausting all possiblities...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Vice versa...you win in this league with a franchise QB, not with a franchise CB, which we just happened to draft last year...it'd be like taking a franchise LT back to back and then have 1 of them play RT, it's not sound management

We need a Top 10 QB much more than ANOTHER top 10 CB....we are making the same mistake we did with Frye and Quinn (McCoy's better but still no franchise QB) if we pass on Gabbert...we "waste" another year or 2 "to find out" if a mid round QB pans out...we've been hanging our hopes on middling QB talent for the last 5 years bypassing guys like Roethlisberger and Rodgers

but yeah, let's trade away another shot at a franchise QB because we have to find out if our Hobbit can improve on those 2 TDs and 8 INTs against AFC North's powerhouses...let's find out....the hard way..as always in Cleveland

Here's a crazy idea...if Gabbert is there...double up on QBs, who have more value anyway, instead of CBs...we already know Haden will be good, we aren't with Colt

but yeah let's trade down...prospect happy homers

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Cleveland Browns Consider Picking Cotton
Published: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 12:00pm or am
by Mary Kay Blather & Tony Grossme

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have always been receptive to trading either up or down, or even possibly moving sideways from the No. 6 pick and recently have amped up efforts to make it appear they may or may not do so.

"We are talking to people about trading, but that's not our strategy," Browns President Mike Holmgren told reporters. "The plan all along has been to "Jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton."

The Browns' chances of trading down would be enhanced if someone would trade up.

Holmgren said he has not set a limit as to how far he would be willing to move down, stating, "That really depends on who is willing to move up. Or, we could move up if someone really wants to move down. We just don't know. What we do know is, we plan to "Jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton" as soon as the opportunity presents itself. We're hoping that comes either Thursday or Friday. Of course it may happen Saturday, or not at all. Of that much we're certain."

Link

LOL!!

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

double up on QBs, who have more value anyway, instead of CBs...we already know Haden will be good

Anytime you have a chance to make a team one dimensional, you do it.

Putting Peterson out there with Haden, and Wright, makes offenses more one dimensional.

Passing on Peterson if he's on the board is a HUGE mistake.

Legend
Legend
And if Peterson can play the run game even half as well as Haden does, then we'd be making the other team half dimensional, hehe

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Anytime you have a chance to make a team one dimensional, you do it.

Putting Peterson out there with Haden, and Wright, makes offenses more one dimensional.

Passing on Peterson if he's on the board is a HUGE mistake.

I do not disagree with your logic. However.......

My question is this, has any team ever drafted 2 players at the same position in the first round in 2 consecutive drafts?

I don't think so and I don't think it will happen this year. If we do draft Peterson it's to trade him to someone else (although as with everything else in this strange off season I'm not sure that would be "legal" this year).

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
the Jets drafted two offensive line guys in the first round, and the Jags drafted 2 DTs in the first round two yrs in a row. Also the Lions drafted a WR with the first pick 3 out of 4 yrs in a row in the draft.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Lions don't count.....that was Matt Millen.....

But thanks for the others.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We're not only talking 1st round, we're talking Top10 here...and I doubt it ever happened in the top10 (Millen's WR love aside) you just can't double up on 1 perimeter position back to back in the top 10 without a DL, franchise QB or #1 WR in place..it's a luxury we simply aren't in position to afford...

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And if Peterson can play the run game even half as well as Haden does, then we'd be making the other team half dimensional, hehe

this is what I was counting on..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

We're not only talking 1st round, we're talking Top10 here...and I doubt it ever happened in the top10 (Millen's WR love aside) you just can't double up on 1 perimeter position back to back in the top 10 without a DL, franchise QB or #1 WR in place..it's a luxury we simply aren't in position to afford...

it's tough to find because you have to find a team that was in the top10 back-to-back years and took the same position. just because it doesn't happen often though does not mean it's not a smart move for the Browns this year.

Here's the closest I found just going back 3 drafts
all top10 picks:
Jags took DE in '08
took OT in '09
took DE in '10

So, 2/3 years at the same position in the top10 and they are likely to pick a DE again this year because both of those picks (Harvey and Alualu) have not produced.

I am of the mind that in the top10 you take the BPA unless you are stacked at that position (if we end up in the top10 next year with Haden and Peterson, then no, we shouldn't take another CB). Drafting in the top10 means you need help everywhere and if one player is graded well ahead of the others on your board, then pick him.

If they are in a relative tie, then use need as the tiebreaker (positional value should be part of the grading process and so is already apart of the grade)

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
The closest thing I'm finding is the Jaguars taking Marcus Stroud #13 in 2001and John Henderson #9 in 2002.

I really didn't look very hard though.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
1. I have little problem with selecting Peterson...I just think it would be stupid to draft him over Gabbert, Dareus or Green/Jones...since 1 of those could be there at 6 along with Peterson I think it'd be a mistake...if all are gone, seek a trade and draft Fairley or Jordan later

2. FYI, Alualu is a DT and played there and he played pretty good in his rookie year

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

1. I have little problem with selecting Peterson...I just think it would be stupid to draft him over Gabbert, Dareus or Green/Jones...since 1 of those could be there at 6 along with Peterson I think it'd be a mistake...if all are gone, seek a trade and draft Fairley or Jordan later

2. FYI, Alualu is a DT and played there and he played pretty good in his rookie year

I would select Dareus over Peterson. AJ Green I wouldn't care which player we picked. I would pick Peterson over Julio Jones.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/tyson-alualu?id=496760

lists Alualu as a DE in the draft, which is what the confines of the selection were. and, he didn't play that well from the limited I saw the Jags last year (3-4 games). he did have 3.5 sacks on the year, but less than 2 tackles per game. only a rookie last year, so still can improve of course.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For the record, I've said for months that I think Jones is going to be the better of the 2 receivers.

The "trade" rumor with Minnesota would be my ideal draft if we could get Peterson at 6 ,and Jones at 12.

Legend
Legend
well, Alualu played DE at Cal, who runs a 3-4. I'm pretty sure he was drafted to play DE at JAX, and everything I've heard was that he played really well.

I would take Dareus over anybody in the draft.

I would be happy with Green, Jones, Peterson, Watt, or Jordan.

I would be lukewarm on Amukamara.

I would be wait-and-see with Quinn, Bowers, and Fairley.

I'd be really ticked at Miller, T. Smith, or either of the QBs.

H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Texans -
2004 #27 Justin Babin DE
2005 #16 Travis Johnson DT
2006 #1 Mario Williams DE
2007 #10 Amobi Okoye DT

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Your stats lie. Alualu was awesome last year.

1. A.J. Green
2. Patrick Peterson
3. Marcell Dareus

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Are u serious???

Either you're out there or you've got yourself in this SOBO thinking that you're the next coming of...

Sorry chief...Don't think so...

If anyone passes on Peterson for a Gabbert...Who we all know u've blown for 6 months...An inexperienced QB from a Spead...They r out of their minds...Peterson is the #1 player in this draft...#2 if u talk to 15 dumbasses like Brown of Cincy...

PRAY they take Gabbert...

Dareus and Green are the ONLY 2 u would take ahead of a Peterson...IF THAT...

Go Browns!!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
I love this post.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If anyone passes on Peterson for a Gabbert...Who we all know u've blown for 6 months

Wow, I guess this means Django is getting an invite to Gabbert's Draft Party.....

A pure guess on my part puts the Browns Draft board like this:
Dareus
Green
Peterson
Jones

Although, I'm sure there are plenty more defensive guys lined up after those 4. This could be the most interesting draft for the Browns since '99.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since this seems to be the draft rumor page.

Looks like 2 teams are trying their best to trade up. Houston and Washington. Houston wants Peterson and the Skins loves Gabbert.

Denver wants out of #2. Cinn Wants out of #4.

So if it happens.
1. Carolina Cam
2. Skins Gabbert
3. Bills Dareus
4. Texans or 49ers Peterson
5. Arizona Von Miller
6. Browns Gotta think AJ Green if that happens.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Since this seems to be the draft rumor page.

Looks like 2 teams are trying their best to trade up. Houston and Washington. Houston wants Peterson and the Skins loves Gabbert.

Denver wants out of #2. Cinn Wants out of #4.

So if it happens.
1. Carolina Cam
2. Skins Gabbert
3. Bills Dareus
4. Texans or 49ers Peterson
5. Arizona Von Miller
6. Browns Gotta think AJ Green if that happens.

Yep...Gotta b Green there...An up would not surprise me...Even 2...And if we pass on Green for an "all around average pony" in a Jordan???...Fire Heckert...NOW...(That's aimed at some P-On draft guru...And its name's not "Deep"...lol)

Go Browns!!!
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
The Bengals took CB's twice in a row, I believe.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Is this going to be another scenario like last year?

Everyone had us taking Haden all year long ... then we hit the combine, pro days, and etc. and when things shuffled around, we actually ended up with him.

AJ Green was the guy we needed back in the fall (at least by many on this board and many mocks I saw) ... but we have been "flirting" with Peterson, Fairly, Jones, and Quinn ... does it come full circle as the logical pick for AJ?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not the Bungels, but the Ravens did......both in the top 10 (Starks, and McCallister). It worked out pretty well for them to

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Peterson is a stud... If he's available which he probably wont be, we take him even if Green is still out there.

But I doubt we will have the option of both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Cleveland trying to trade down in draft.

Link Copied to Clipboard