Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont give a crap about sexy!

This guy is big, mean and ugly and thats what i want in the trenches!

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Well for another, the Jets, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore, New England could have taken him as the best 3-4 tackle? He was rated above wilkerson by many and for all we know he was also a steal at 21 for us the way that many thought TJ was a reach ...

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Let's hope so.........................................

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was compared to Ngata by some. We passed on him, remember?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like Houston, Reed, and Beard at DE and I love Titus Young if he's there with our lower 2nd rounder

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Right ... we passed on wilkerson - a kid from a mac school ... to take a guy who won play time as a true freshmen in the big ten and became a solid starter at baylor.

Taylor was rated higher than baylor is what I was saying ... I guess you didn't read.

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
I hope the kid is the next resurrection of Jerry Sherk,...

But I won't hold my breath.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I take a shot on Bowers if he is there. I wouldnt have taken a chance in the first but 2nd he is worth the risk if u think he can play.

As for the Phil Taylor pick, the dude can ball and chances are Seattle would have taken him and the Jets were probably trying to trade up for him as well. Rex Ryan loved the kid.

Legend
Legend
I dunno ....... probably Ras I-Dowling, Brooks Reed, or Torrey Smith would be interesting names.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Also ... Rahim Moore is still there is they want to really make that secondary a strong point.

He and Ward could make an interesting duo.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I almost wouldn't be opposed to trading DOWN with our second - second round pick ... (or even the first one if we don't go too far ... if a team really wants to come up for a QB then let Oakland do it for Kaepernick for example, or seattle fo it for mallet?) ... if we keep a mid / late round second ... plus have the 2nd from atlanta, then we could still net another third?

At that point I wouldn't mind picking up Leonard Hankerson Now or a Randall Cobb pretty soon ...

But if Brandon Harris or Aaron Williams are on the board in 5 picks ... look out.

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
There's a LOT of talent in the top 10 or so of the 2nd round.

Depending on how things fall, I wouldn't even be opposed to trade back slightly with our 1st 2nd rounder, if I could pick up a 3rd as well. I don't think that I would drop more than 5 spots ... and only if I had 5 guys fairly close in my rankings. However, I think that Heckert has let it be known that he is willing to be blown away in a trade.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Personally I like the pick, nothing sexy just a mean nasty guy that does the dirty work. Really sick of teams running up the gut on us, Sick of watching Rothlesburger scramble straight up the middle to convert a third and long. This guy isn't moving. Between him and Rubin we are young, strong and stout up the middle. Good job Heckert!

With this pick and trade, we are going to be loaded with young top end talent over the next few years. You build through the draft. Guarantee Mike pouncey isn't looking forward to playing against the Browns. they need to commit 4 guys to just two of ours...

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Apparently Julio Jones was not a "target" then, since we traded out after Peterson and Green were gone. Obviously also then, Fairley, Bowers, and Quinn never were on the radar either.

Watt, Heyward, Costanzo,..all Goodbye Boys.

Just goes to show, you can't believe a thing anybody says -- OR posts -- before draft day.

It's a crapshoot.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
The way I see it, it's like we netted a poor man's dareus with a lot of ability still ...

and while we had to trade away a 3rd rounder to get him, we also netter a pair of fourths, a second, and a 1st next year .... I don't see a problem.

@pstu24
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C
Here it is in a nutshell,
with a draft board full of athletes we trade up to draft a fat guy that can't move.
In a division that's turning into a passing one,we have the fatest and slowest.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Only the first next year has any value, in my opinion.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Im not proclaiming him to be the best ever mind you, as there is footage and film of EVERY player in this draft having bad snaps or games. But furthermore, I don't buy into other random fan's viewpoints just for an FYI ... those guys might call Taylor a ham sandwich after all ... and then we don't know what that means ...

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C
Here it is in a nutshell,
with a draft board full of athletes we trade up to draft a fat guy that can't move.
In a division that's turning into a passing one,we have the fatest and slowest.

And,..while six offensive tackles were taken in those first 32 picks.

Somebody, please reassure me, we know what we are doing.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
There were also how many quarterbacks taken in the top 15? Just because others have higher grades doesn't mean we don't (or do) know what we are doing ... it just means we have yet to see what our plan is ...

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
The point is, we don't need a QB,...we NEED a tackle. And we also need the DT we took in Taylor. It just doesn't match my personal philosophy of what I believe the Browns should be doing, and that is an opinion.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
It isn't fair,nether is life.
I'm at a draft party with a$50,000 Apex machine and some staunch Browns supporters.And it was "who?"
There was film on this kid from his freshmen practices,and the big mystery was "how does this big boy with no movement,no athleticism become a 1st round pick?"
B.U.S.T he will eat himself out of the NFL.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Understood, and that I can agree with. My side is that if we worry too much about what everyone else is doing, we will still have a lot of holes to fill while ALSO reaching on a prospect.

Besides, they do seem set at bringing back our current incumber Pashos as the projected starter, so we can still grab another linemen soon or maybe with the late 2nd or early 4th to develop for a year?

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Believe me, nothing would make me happier than knowing Pashos was going to pan out this year and Lauvao steps in, and this line becomes the 1980's Redskins Hogs.

In my mind,...THAT's what wins football games.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
One thing to think about.

This pick implies we will be running a dual 2-gap DT system (Rubin/Taylor on the inside).

This is actually a much easier switch from the 3-4, than playing a 3-gap system (like we would be playing with a Fairley/Dareus type).

With two 2-gap DTs in the middle, we can afford to play our 3-4 OLBs (Roth/Gocong) as undersized DEs on the outside - instead of having to go out and find larger run stopping DEs for our system.

Our DL next year could look:

Roth/Rubin/Taylor/Gocong

If we could pick up a guy like Ayers at the beginning of the second tomorrow, to pair next to Jackson - we'd have a pretty complete transition, while only using two picks to do it.

That being said - really would have liked to grab Carimi at 27 -- or even better, take that trade with the Saints so that we'd control the draft next year.

~Lyuokdea

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 04/29/11 01:13 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
As you can well guess, I would have pissed myself to get a tackle like Carimi.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Well, if we don't scoop up a top DE (which would be unfortunate), we might have a pretty solid one come over in FA ... with the money we saved on the cap from trading down from 6 to 21 overall .. we can also look to bring in a Sidney Rice (as a side note) or whoever ...

But with the top picks remaining that I would like to have ...

Gotta think about Bowers.... barring a knee issue he could have been the #1 overall ... to get him at 37 would be awesome

I still like Hankerson and Cobb .. Aaron Williams and Brandon Harris ... Brooks Reed ...? could be fun tomorrow!

@pstu24
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the Taylor pick quite a bit. It looks like Jauron is going to be running the defense he ran in Chicago. He had two big defensive tackles in the middle to take up blockers and stop the run with two small, fast defensive ends to make plays. Expect us to take someone like Brooks Reed or Jabaal Sheard soon.

Taylor is a player. He's athletic for his size, and he's incredibly strong. Honestly, he can even play 3 tech. Good luck running up the middle against us with him and Rubin there.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I think my board going into round 2 looks something like:

Brooks Reed, DE Arizona
Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

I think we'll be able to get one of these, since Cincy will probably go QB....

I would be psyched with Da'Quan Bowers, for sure -- but I can't project him at this point without injury knowledge.

~Lyuokdea

~Lyuokdea
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I read that he was compared to Kris Jenkins. If he can be that type of player it would be a steal. I would have rather picked Carimi at 27 but that's me.

btw........

Someone needs to change their sig

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We probably could have gotten Taylor at #37.

I was just ticked about the 3rd. It's a good pick. I was saying I wanted 2 DL with our first two picks. If the feet aren't a problem, then it was a very good pick. And if I didn't see how quickly Indy was on the phone with Castonzo I could see them making that pick at 22. It was a good pick. I just thought we way overpaid to get not the best guy available. I felt like we were losing value. You look at the Bengals coming away with Green and the ravens getting Smith and the Steelers getting Heyward at #31... And we're dropping one of our prime picks to move up for Taylor.

It feels like reaching for need. We traded down from a prime position, see the Bengals get an elite player, the Ravens and Steelers getting terrific values on players we could have taken, and we're giving away a 240 point pick for a 120 point pick difference to a team who was allegedly "desperate" to trade out of the first round.

Cameron Jordan was still on the board. We had just not moved up to take Amukamara. I just felt like we wasted a golden opportunity and lost value.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok, I have had a chance to think about this.

I like the player, but I don't think it was appropriate to move up for him.

I thought it was going to be Jordan... which would have made sense.

The loss of the 70th pick (3rd rounder) bothers me.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I could've gone either way on our last two first round picks (Mack and Haden) and I feel the same about this one.

Let's hope this one turns out to be as successful as the past two.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

(On his general reaction to being drafted by the Browns and if he was surprised)- “No, I wasn’t that surprised. I didn’t think it was going to be me at first when you guys were at the sixth pick overall, but when I saw you guys trade back, I started to think a little bit. Then when the 21st pick came around and Kansas City was still there, then my agent told me that you guys were doing some trading around and I kind of thought it was going to be me and that’s when the phone rang.”

(On how he describes himself as a player and what he does well)- “I stop the run. I’m a great run-stopping defensive tackle and I can give you a good pass rush as well.”

(On if he is comfortable in the 4-3 defense)- “Yes, I played the 4-3 my whole college career.”

(On if he has thought about starting or playing a lot right away)- “I’ve thought about it, but going to the next level, it’s a tough task. I just want to take it all in and work hard and do what I’ve got to do to get on the field.”

(On playing in cold weather)- “I’ve played in the cold before. I was at Penn State for two years and also I grew up in Washington D.C., so playing in the cold wouldn’t be problem for me at all.”

(On why he thought the Browns were going to draft him)- “My agent was just giving me a lot of info. When I was on my visit it felt like home and I liked the coaches a lot. When I saw that they had traded up to the 21st pick, I just had a feeling it was going to be me.”

(On if leaving Penn State was a concern during draft process)- “I don’t think it was a concern. I was young and I made a mistake, but I moved on from it. Then I went down to Baylor and just made the best of a second chance and I’m happy to be in this situation now.”

(On where he is right now)- “I’m backstage at the draft, still at the draft. I’m in New York.”

(On if he is glad the issues with his feet are over with)- “It’s was just rumors that’s all it was. I just figured it was a couple other teams later back that wanted to throw some things out there so they could maybe end up getting me. That’s all that was.”

(On if he took note of where he was rated in mock drafts)- “It’s not up to those guys in rating players and all that, it’s all up to the g.m.’s and the coaches in who they want, so that’s what I think.”

(On his statistical improvement from his junior to senior year at Baylor)- “The biggest thing was getting my weight down. That was one thing that helped me out a lot my senior year was playing at a lower weight, doing the necessary things off the field with my cardio which is what helped me out tremendously.”

(On the impact of his trip to Kenya on his life)- “It was just a humbling experience. I went down there and helped out the underprivileged kids there and it just made me realize how blessed I am and how fortunate we are to be here.”

(On his pre-draft conversations with Tom Heckert)- “We didn’t really talk a lot other than when I was there for the visit. I guess they were trying to keep it a real secret but, I’m just glad they picked me. I look forward to being there and playing for the Cleveland Browns.”

(On who he compares himself to as a player)- “I compare myself a lot to like a Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork type of person.”

(On being selected over other big names still on the draft board such as Da’Quan Bowers)- “Yes, I was waiting. I didn’t think he would drop this far. I thought he was going to go like every pick after the 15th or so I thought it was probably going to be him. I’m just happy right now.”

(On if he will use being passed up by other teams as motivation this year)- “Who wouldn’t? I’m going to use it as motivation to make me better, to play even harder.”

.com

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I look at it this way.

Phil Taylor is a good player. Pairing him at DT with Rubin solidifies our interior DLine. We needed tons of help on the DLine, so there are worse things in the world than getting a really good player at a position of need.

The flip side of this is, we entered the night with the #6 pick in the draft. SIX. We left the night with Phil Taylor. A late 1st/early 2nd round talent. Not only that but we had to trade UP to get him, so now we have no 3rd round pick.

Yes we added a very late 2nd rounder. The 4th rounder we got is "meh". The 4th rounder next year is "meh". Yeah we'll get a late 1st rounder next year. That will be nice next year but does nothing right now.

We started the night with picks

we now have picks
#21 Phil Taylor

So we dropped 15 spots, from an elite position, to the end of the round to draft Taylor. In exchange we essentially moved up from #70 to #59 and added a first NEXT year. If somebody said "Hey we'll give you picks #21 and #59 for your #6 and #70?" I'd tell them to take a flying leap.

So again, I don't hate the pick or the player, but I hate what we had to give up to get him...and the fact that we had the ability to get a flat out stud at #6 and openly chose not to. Not to mention some of the talent on the board when we picked him. Hello Cameron Jordan anybody?? It appears we chose to get 3 "B/C" players instead of 1 "A" player and 1 "B" player. Quantity over quality. I understand the thinking considering the number of holes we have, but I'm not sure I agree with it. Of course we wouldn't have half the holes we currently have if we didn't fire the coach and force a new offensive AND defensive scheme on us...but I digress.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the extra picks that came with trading down from 6. After Peterson was taken at 5 (I knew he would of not been available). I'm happy with the Taylor pick, but in all honesty I didn't see it coming, but hey we still have plenty of draft left and a 1st and 4th round picks from Atlanta next year.

Good Job H&H.

Folks seem to be upset that we traded away our 70rh selection in the 3rd round, but hey we still have the 59th to ho along with our 37th selection and we maybe be in a better position now to draft a WR in the 2nd round with one of our two picks. Lots of good talent is left on the board for tomorrow

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Eagles selected two defensive tackles during Heckert's tenure Brodrick Bunkley and Mike Patterson.

I don't know much about either, but just from looking at those pages I can tell that Patterson has started 4 1/2 years for the Eagles. And Bunkley started three consecutive years for them until he was injured last season.

I'm sure someone else has more knowledge of these players that they can share with us.

O
Legend
Legend
O
j/c

My only question on this pick is... Was he the BPA? If so, then great. If not, then why did we draft him?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Neither guy lived up to the hype. We did need a DT, though, and Taylor is a good player.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your new Brown...Pick #21!

Link Copied to Clipboard