Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#594336 05/15/11 09:56 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Terry Pluto's Talkin' ... about the Browns' West Coast fit, the Cavaliers' draft options and Tribe's emerging young Michael Brantley
Published: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 11:45 PM
Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

About the Browns...

1. At first, I was rather non-committal about the Browns switching to the West Coast offense. I know that Mike Holmgren likes it, and Pat Shurmur knows how to coach it. So that seemed like a plan. But then I found two fascinating articles on profootballfocus.com by Khaled Elsayed about NFL quarterbacks.

2. The first dealt with who throws deep -- a pass of at least 20 yards. Some of the Browns' recent offenses relied on a QB's ability to throw downfield. Last season, Peyton Manning threw the most times -- 95. Then came Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers (86) followed by Matt Hasselbeck and Drew Brees (76).

3. Colt McCoy threw "deep" 32 times, which doesn't sound like much. But he played only eight games. If he played all 16, that's 64 deep throws ... right in the middle of the pack.

4. Here's the problem: Throwing deep is not McCoy's game. He completed only 31 percent (10 of 32) of those passes, ranking him 21st of the 31 QBs considered by Elsayed. More alarming, he had 22 percent (seven) picked off, by far the highest percentage. Next was Jay Cutler at 12 percent. Seven of his nine interceptions were on those throws.

5. You can put an asterisk by some of this as McCoy had six interceptions in the final two games -- losses by scores of 20-10 (Baltimore) and 41-9 (Pittsburgh). The Browns got behind. Peyton Hillis was banged up and not running well. McCoy had to throw long to try and get the offense going.

6. But McCoy did complete 62 percent of passes in the 11- to 19-yard range. That is in the upper half of the NFL. He was at 65 percent in the 1- to 10-yard range, slightly below the NFL average of 67 percent. The point is McCoy can be an accurate passer, assuming he throws the right kind of passes.

7. Welcome to the West Coast offense, which should underline his strengths and not force him to throw deep that often. It's an offense based on short, quick passes. It is designed to hit receivers on the run and to help a QB counter a blitz.

8. Which brings up another issue -- McCoy against the blitz. According to Elsayed's article, McCoy was blitzed on 45 percent of his passes. Only Bruce Gradkowski (58 percent), Joe Flacco (49 percent) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (49 percent) faced more pressure. Against the blitz, McCoy had only two TD passes compared to three interceptions. That 2/3 ratio ranked 29th. Manning and Mark Sanchez (13 TDs, 3 INT) were the best, followed by Flacco (12/4) and Matt Ryan (14/5).

9. McCoy completed 56 percent of his passes against the blitz, ranking 23rd. The best were Brees (66 percent), Chad Henne (64 percent), Rodgers (63 percent) and Philip Rivers (62 percent).

10. Former Brown Derek Anderson ranked the worst against the blitz (41 percent) and the worst ratio (1/5).

11. McCoy ranked 14th in percentage of deep throws -- even higher than the likes of Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady and Ryan. That makes no sense, other than he's trying to make big plays downfield -- and doing it with receivers who are not especially fast or known as deep threats.

12. Maybe these numbers are why the Browns believe the offense will improve. Perhaps they think short routes will lead to more catches. Certainly, they will help McCoy do what he does best -- make a fast read of the defense and deliver the ball on target.

13. In this offense, the receiver needs enough strength to get off the line not be bumped around by the cornerback. Then he must catch the ball. As the Browns will tell their receivers, "We don't drop passes." Second-rounder Greg Little impressed the team at the combine and in workouts with his terrific hands, his strength and ability to run after the catch. Watching film, the new coaches really do believe that Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi can do more in this system.

14. All of this is guesswork to an extent, but it's why they didn't spend much time worrying about their quarterback situation. Instead, it was who will make this offense work. The tight ends also are important, and they believe in Ben Watson, Evan Moore and rookie Jordan Cameron they will have more guys who can catch the ball.

15. The Browns believe the new offense has a lot of flexibility. Quarterbacks ranging from deep-throwing Donovan McNabb to the scamper and throw short Jeff Garcia have been effective. So they sincere believe they can make it fit to McCoy.

About Joe Haden...

This e-mail came from Ryan Kelber, a Brooklyn High social studies teacher:

"As I sat through an hour-and-half rain delay at Progressive Field on Tuesday night, I noticed someone familiar sitting next to me in the picnic plaza behind the Indians bullpen. It was Joe Haden.

"Dressed with a Tribe hat and a few friends, the Browns cornerback stood out with his friendliness and openness to all the fans. Numerous kids and adults approached Joe and he did not turn down one single picture or handshake.

"It was amazing to see an athlete be so friendly and responsive to fans while at the ballpark enjoying the game. He remained in the picnic and Rigid Bar area for most of the rain delay and continued to talk with fans and take pictures.

"He really represented Cleveland and the Browns well. We sometimes criticize drafting players based on character and talent, but Joe Haden showed me Tuesday night that he definitely has both."

web page

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns have about 60 years of history, and if they have to throw it deep or short, they better be able to do it, no matter who the Qb is, that is just football.

I don't think you can take too much from last year anyway, because the team will have a different make up this year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The comparisons above should have been made rookie vs rookie and not comparing Colt the "rookie QB" to seasoned veteran QB's, that's my only complaint about the number crunching above. I do agree that our new offense should be one that suits Colts talents and with talent (???) surrounding him he should have a successful career here in Cleveland.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But when you take into account these are rookie numbers compared to vet numbers, it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling........no?

Legend
Legend
I thought it was funny that no where in that article mentioned Ben Roth.. I would have thought he would be a top performer somewhere in there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Note: all these stats should be put into context...a rookie QB running the "Brian Daboll" offense and a subpar receiving corp.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Note: all these stats should be put into context...a rookie QB running the "Brian Daboll" offense and a subpar receiving corp.

Colt should be able to overcome the later of the two if he has the tools to be an all pro starter in this league.

but he is a rookie.. he's still learning.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I thought it was funny that no where in that article mentioned Ben Roth.. I would have thought he would be a top performer somewhere in there.

all hate aside, he throws a nice deep ball. maybe it's just against us that he chucks it deep and is successful.

Legend
Legend
Roethlisberger only played in 12 games last year.

In those 12 games he had 53 plays of 20+ yards, and 8 of 40+ yards.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
What I got out of those stats is WTH does anybody blitz Flacco?

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Roethlisberger only played in 12 games last year.

In those 12 games he had 53 plays of 20+ yards, and 8 of 40+ yards.

He also has that uncanny ability to throw the ball at the last second, even with a heavy blitz or a defender in the process of trying to tackle. His skill set is unique as well as scary.

Flacco I am not totally sold on yet, I think the team in general is going to get old but when is the question, but Flacco isn't going to win games by himself, and they haven't proven they can score consistently, leaves the "door open on him."

Legend
Legend
Add another asterisk or two: First is quality of receivers (speed is part of deep routes, so it is a measure of separation AND QB). We were not strrong here and saved it until clearly desperate and despicably predictable wgich made the chosen routes (deplorable — up against sidelines in many cases) more prone to picks and favoring defenders. A different OC, or Shurm, can help the cause by play mix, route selection, and being less predictable. McCoy under center with straight dropback is not our most edged weapon IMHO. I hope this clicks.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I agree! This was like having to wear TWO pairs of handcuffs and a leg iron. Could you limit the QB any more?
Daboll was part of the output problem.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Jerry Butler has been fired .

Legend
Legend
Good link. I am surprised. I thought this was a strength for our organization. Have any explanation as to why he was fired?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good link. I am surprised. I thought this was a strength for our organization. Have any explanation as to why he was fired?

No idea,, didn't see this coming at all. wonder if they caught him having contact with players during the lockout?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Rookie
Rookie
I doubt it has to do with contacting players due to the lockout because we would see every other team "cutting ties" with personnel because it's naive to believe it's not happening, but from reading the article one could take it as a cost cutting move, and if you look at his job description, it sounds as one that MH and TH could handle taking on. Not much to read into if you ask me, front office movement happens all the time, and this sounds as a economical move more then a he did something wrong move.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I doubt it has to do with contacting players due to the lockout because we would see every other team "cutting ties" with personnel because it's naive to believe it's not happening, but from reading the article one could take it as a cost cutting move, and if you look at his job description, it sounds as one that MH and TH could handle taking on. Not much to read into if you ask me, front office movement happens all the time, and this sounds as a economical move more then a he did something wrong move.

I don't think it's a cost cutting move at all.. the browns have said and continue to say that they are expecting no changes in staff due to the lockout. At least not in the immediate future.

no no,, there is something else afoot here..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Disagreement in player character philosophy, perhaps?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

that sounds possible,,,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

No idea,, didn't see this coming at all. wonder if they caught him having contact with players during the lockout?

If it was for contacting players, I would have to believe that it wouldn't go down this quietly. The NFL would be posting flyers making an example out of him.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could be anything, and none of it would mean anything. Perhaps they just saw the position as unnecessary? Perhaps Butler demanded a raise with an ultimatum?

We probably won't ever know, but one thing I'm certain of is that it doesn't matter one bit. I'm absolutely certain that what we've seen on the field won't be any worse because of this... and that's all that matters to me.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, what we see on the field isn't the entire story, or the only factor involved in NFL team play.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What we see on the field is ALL that matters.. .it is the entire purpose for any of this.

It doesn't get more "bottom line" than that.

Browns is the Browns

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

What we see on the field is ALL that matters.. .it is the entire purpose for any of this.

This.

Wins and losses are the key factors for all personnel when maintaining their positions, sure sometimes it happens for other reasons but successful organizations mostly abide by this standard. I am not worried about the firing, I think it's obvious the FO found him expendable, so for whatever reason I can handle it.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Could it just be that they didn't see any player development under his tutelage?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Actually, "bottom line", if that were true, then Winslow and Edwards would still be Browns.

#gmstrong
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Winslow and edwards were two deemed expendable and were involved in brilliant three beans for a cow trade giveaways by mangini..Kokinis said he heard about the edwards trade on the radio.

As for prognosticating what Colt will do...
1) had we not jettisoned Shaun Rogers we would not have had to trade a #3 to move up for taylor. then we could maybe have used the pick where we were and snagged Gabe Carimi and be set at RT for a decade. As it is we have a front office that has "pencilled in the oft injured and lead legged Tony Pashos for RT. Holy John St. Clair, have we not learned anything. three QBs in boots with high ankle sprains and our front office still has no clue. I am sure Harrisson and Suggs love we did that.

To BEST help your QB keep him upright.
2) I am glad the front office delusions that we were set at WR are over. I am hoping for a solid veteran to go with the newer prospects as no one fears Robiskie, MoMass and while the system MAY help, they are avr at best.
3) a solid Running game helps a passer and again we left hillis alone as we drafted no RBs just a FB to replace what was NOT a hole in the manner of the Shaun Rogers dump. I think I read at the ravens boards Ozzie is licking his chops to get Vickers. I read a blip the front office caught a clue and will release Bell who was a Booby prize trade n dumping Harrisson. Depending on major Injury Risk Hardesty is in the DQ, Pashos sphere of delusion.

$) I think Colt is a smart QB, has a decent arm. he needs runners, blockers and recievers. Until he does there is no way to evaluate him among his peers as the browns have the least talent around this QB as any.
having Daboll gone as OC is a HUGE plus. How he got another job in Miami is as mystifying as Arizona deluding themselves about DA as a QB.

Legend
Legend
No, they wouldn't because neither one wanted to even be here.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I don't remember KWII ever saying anything about not wanting to be here...

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I don't remember KWII ever saying anything about not wanting to be here...

yeah, the only issue with KW was that he wanted to be the highest paid TE in the NFL while playing on bad knees. and we got good value in the trade as a 2nd and a 5th is more than most get for veterans especially injured ones. we botched the pick, but the value in the actual trade was there.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
He wanted to be the highest paid tight end in the history of football. He wasnt going to get that here. He got that in Tampa. Dumping Winslow was one of the smartest things Mangini did.

Winslow, Edwards, Rogers those guys just arent worth the money and headache. I would rather have TO, atleast he will outwork everyone on the team.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I never once thought Winlsow didn't give everything he had on the football field. I don't know his practice habits, but his issues were merely injury related unlike Braylon and Rogers (though his mouth could be annoying)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Winslow was another that very rarely practiced.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The Bull clap vs. Staph infection situation would have gotten Winslow canned if Savage had stayed lol.

L
Legend
Legend
L
he showed up on game days, no one can argue that. I like KW2.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Winslow was another that very rarely practiced.

he didn't practice because they were preserving their knees. at least that was what we were told.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

he showed up on game days, no one can argue that. I like KW2.

yea.. he was definitely a gamer. loved the all white gloves too.

Legend
Legend
Why do so many worry about what we shoulda, coulda done. It's yesterdays news. I'm guessing it's a way to thump chests or something

Box "o" rocks may be another "ham sandwich"

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What they wanted or didn't want is irrelevant, and did not factor into management's decision to get rid of them. It was off the field antics that ultimately cost them their jobs in Cleveland. The idea that the only thing that matters is what happens on the field is a delusion.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pluto on the WCO and more

Link Copied to Clipboard