Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#594389 05/15/11 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Dick Jauron eager to get to work with rookies, returning players

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The NFL lockout may be hurting every team, but it's killing the Browns' defense.

"We have work to do," new defensive coordinator Dick Jauron said. "I suspect that's why we're all here [meeting without players]. There's work to be done. We're looking forward to try and get it done. Hopefully, we'll have a chance soon."

The switch to the West Coast offense -- supervised by the Browns' first offensive-minded head coach in 12 years and with all that entails -- has overshadowed the seismic switch in the defensive system.

The changes involved in moving from a 3-4 alignment to the traditional 4-3 are more complex than simply subtracting a linebacker and replacing him with a fourth lineman. There will be a culture shock suffered by returning players not versed in the scheme.

Just the difference in coordinators will throw them -- going from gregarious, fun-lovin', back-pattin' Rob Ryan to the subdued, Yale-educated Jauron. Jauron has to undo six years of the Browns stocking linemen for the 3-4. Now the team needs two speedy defensive ends and two tackles -- one to stay at home and the other to provide some inside pass rush.

"We knew there'd be a lot of change, a real lot of change," Jauron said. "Certainly, the 4-3 is different than the 3-4. So up front, we knew we'd have to get personnel that fit our scheme, just like they went after personnel that fit theirs."

The draft provided two key parts, tackle Phil Taylor and end Jabaal Sheard, but there are missing pieces. And the NFL lockout, which has canceled team activities, is robbing Jauron of precious time to gauge the players on hand and where they might fit.

The offensive players have conducted two sets of their own workouts supervised by quarterback Colt McCoy, who has coach Pat Shurmur's playbook in possession. The defensive players don't have Jauron's playbook and can't do much together, anyway. Tossing a ball around isn't going to cut it for them.

When the lockout was lifted for about 24 hours before the draft, none of the defensive players showed up at Browns headquarters to receive materials from Jauron and the defensive staff.

"The difficult side for us is they don't have their stuff," Jauron said. "Most of them aren't here, obviously. And they all knew that something was going to happen [to reinstitute the lockout two days later], so they weren't about to fly back in from where they were.

"They certainly can do their drills and their drops and their footwork. If we had a year or two with them, clearly they could work on terminology and different things like that. It's just the way it is. We have to deal with it. Other teams have to deal with it. And we will."

In his first extensive interview since being hired Jan. 21, Jauron talked about the job in rebuilding the Browns' defense.

The big draft trade:

Jauron said Taylor was the player targeted after the big trade from No. 6 to No. 27 with Atlanta. The Browns had to give up their third-round pick to Kansas City to move back up to No. 21 to select Taylor. Jauron fell short of affirming that nabbing Taylor was essential for the first trade to work.

"We're glad we did. I guess that's the way I'd put it," Jauron said. "He's a player we'd talked about going in. I know Tom [Heckert] and Mike [Holmgren] really liked him. So that was kind of the plan. The rest is kind of revisionist history. If we didn't, what would have happened? I think we'd still have a good draft, but it would have been disappointing for us at the moment, because that's a guy we had targeted."

Defensive draft picks Taylor, Sheard, cornerback Buster Skrine and safety Eric Hagg:

"As an organization, we agreed that a Phil Taylor-type player [was needed]. We like this guy, like his personality, like his size, like his toughness and his athleticism. You know our division. We're gonna have to stop the run and defend play-action and obviously rush the passer. It's a tough division, physically tough. And this is a physically tough guy with good size and good athleticism. We like his demeanor.

"Jabaal is a hard player, plays the game real fast all the time, comes to the football. He tackles people. We like that. We think it fits the defensive mentality that every team wants to put in place. So, really good picks for us.

"Buster Skrine is also a tough guy. He plays the game hard and has that great speed, a thing you can't teach. We're excited about that. Eric, he was very productive for Nebraska, just continually made plays. A smart player. You can see him in their nickel package, played the dime at times, as we describe it. So we felt really good about the draft."

Pairing Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin inside the front four, and deciding which one plays three-technique (providing an inside rush) and which one plays one-technique (over the center's shoulder):

"Ideally we'd like to play them just left and right, the tackles. Until we actually see them, we won't know that. For the most part, one of them will be a one-technique at times and one of them a three-technique. If it proves to be that one of them is significantly better at one of those skills, then we can always flop them.

"[Rubin] showed some spark [against the rush] last year. What we do know for sure is this is a tough player and he plays hard. So we love the way he played the game. So we felt he's a guy we can build upon. In the 4-3, he can definitely play inside. He can definitely play in this division and more than hold his own."

Describing the differences in the left end and right end:

"Most offenses are right-handed. Anticipating you'll get the tight end to your defensive left, that defensive end generally is a little bit bigger, a little bit stouter. The right is maybe a little better pass rusher. You'd like to have them balanced. Like to have them both have outstanding abilities. Hard to find those guys."

Finding a left end to complement Sheard:

"That's one of the issues, obviously, looking at the tape. We just really are going to have to wait. I think it's fair and behooves us to wait before we pass judgment. Obviously, we've got to make some decisions before we know these guys. But once we know them, then we can start moving them around and trying them at different spots and seeing what we have."

A little more comfort at the linebacker spots:

"No matter what your situation, you're always looking to add, if you can. The veteran guys that are there for us -- Scott [Fujita], D'Qwell [Jackson] and Chris [Gocong] . . . we know they can play, have watched them play in the NFL. In D'Qwell's case, we're hoping he's healthy and comes back healthy and we feel confident that he will. At least we have a starting point there. We know from their history and from tape here that they play hard and they're tough guys. And that's a good start there."

The secondary has a hole at free safety:

"We need to keep looking and add players when we can, when we're able to get back into this thing. And we need to get our guys in and learn about them, particularly the backup players from a year ago. T.J. [Ward], we know. Joe [Haden], we know. Sheldon [Brown], we know. Eric (Wright) had a tremendous year the year before. We've got to get him back and get to work. The rest we have to get to know and see what we have. And once business starts up again, keep looking."

Summing up the final product of a Jauron defense:

"This is not out of the ordinary in our business. We would like to have a somewhat balanced defense with pressure being maybe a little higher on the list than everything else.

"It's hard to play defense in the league. You've got to do a number of different things, try to keep them off balance as much as you can and you've got to find ways to get to that guy that runs the show on the other side of the ball. If you don't, it can be long, long afternoons.

"We'd like to be multiple enough to keep you guessing at times, mix up our calls enough to keep you guessing at times, between different kinds of pressures, different coverages that vary a little bit. It's hard to do, particularly when you want to get to the level of the best teams. That would be the goal, to keep them off balance and pressure a little more than normal to make them think pressure most of the time."

web page

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great article. So many fans don't understand the difference between a 1 and 3 tech and the left and right ends.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The switch to the West Coast offense -- supervised by the Browns' first offensive-minded head coach in 12 years and with all that entails -- has overshadowed the seismic switch in the defensive system.

I think this is the most telling part of the whole situation for the Browns and I'm thankful that we have a HC that is offensive minded and knows the system that they want to implement and score points.

As much as the article emphasizes about the changes on the defense, one needs to put it into perspective. Our defensive minded DC has been a defensive minded HC in the league. We should be perfectly fine on defense with the experience and ability that Jauron brings - and he won't be running the offense this time.

I like the changes that we've made and I'm confident that the Browns will have improved much more over the 5-11 season of a year ago. Even if the record is just 8-8, we'll be looking at completing the change in the 2012 draft (with two first rounders to add).

I like it. I like it a lot.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If I remember games and games of watching the Browns since the return in 99, and contemplating how they are going to beat the Steelers, or most often how the Steelers beat them.

It makes me wonder ever since the talked about switch to the 4-3 from the 3-4.

It seems every time the Browns have gone with the 3-4 the Steelers beat them with the pass.
and every time the Browns have gone with the 4-3, the Steelers beat them with the Run.

I just don't know how you are gonna stop the outside run with a 4-3 defense without 1 proven defensive end on the team.

If your QB can FOM for a CEZ, then you don't need YAC!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Just 8 and 8?... Really?

To me that would be a miracle. If we hadn't fired yet another coach and decided to change BOTH sides of our game to new schemes in a year that the players were most likely going to be locked out, I might feel better about it.

I'm just sick of being a losing team every year. Can't wait to see us be actual contenders again. I've almost forgot what it feels like.

Some of the younger fans have NEVER known that feeling.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Just 8 and 8?... Really?

Yes, really. For the most part, these guys already know the system. Sure, the team would do better getting together more quickly, but I don't think it's as much of a problem as one might think. The larger problem is simply getting them signed. They'll get their preparation in - just not as much as they otherwise would have.

Quote:

To me that would be a miracle. If we hadn't fired yet another coach and decided to change BOTH sides of our game to new schemes in a year that the players were most likely going to be locked out, I might feel better about it.

And we have experience on both sides of the ball guiding the players. I'm not upset by it one bit.

Quote:

I'm just sick of being a losing team every year. Can't wait to see us be actual contenders again. I've almost forgot what it feels like.

Some of the younger fans have NEVER known that feeling.

It's true, but the Browns have made bad decisions at who should be in the front office before or given too much power to the HC (Butch Davis and Mangini) come to mind. We won't have that problem.

Legend
Legend
Great read, Mourgrym. I like what coach Jauron says. I am especially glad that we have an ongoing list of needs for FA, Godwilling. Let's hope they go to work. Getting hungry to read about our progress.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

When the lockout was lifted for about 24 hours before the draft, none of the defensive players showed up at Browns headquarters to receive materials from Jauron and the defensive staff.

"The difficult side for us is they don't have their stuff," Jauron said. "Most of them aren't here, obviously. And they all knew that something was going to happen [to reinstitute the lockout two days later], so they weren't about to fly back in from where they were.

I refuse to follow this lockout crap. So forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question. But couldn't the stuff been faxed or mailed to the players during this small window of opportunity?

Not trying to get this thread sidetracked. I'm happy that there's something to talk about other than the lockout and Donte Whitner. LOL.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
With pretty much every player having a 4-3 college background, I dont think having a playbook is of any importance. I am sure he could have sent everyone a playbook but with the change over he may figure why send 45 people a playbook when we will probably cut 30 of them lol.

Also we have to look at the kind of coach Jauron is. Jauron is famous for his film study classrooms. He likes to break things down into very minute detail. rhodes is more of the hands on teacher.

I just get the feeling they want to install things and teach things all in one process. Offense is a little different of a situation. I think they wanted everyone to have a decent knowledge of the language and playbook before camp ever begins. The thing I am wondering is who they sent Colt to in order to learn the things he is supposedly teaching.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 05/16/11 09:09 AM.
Legend
Legend
i agree.. most players have played in a 4-3, and it's a lot more "simple" compared to learning a 3-4. Also in our situation, we will have vets playing the LB spots... they will mesh with no problem. It's the young d-line that will need to learn fast in order to play more efficiently.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
S
Legend
Legend
S
A few things...

I think the 3-4/4-3 thing gets blown up too much. if you have great pass rushers, your defense will be good, and look good.

With that said, I am disappointed that we went away from 3-4, because I do believe that defense gives you a slight advantage.

If we were going to run the 4-3, I'd rather see the NYG system, where you just get 4 beasts up front, and let the other 7 guys play off that. I guess Jauron's is similiar to that but we haven't really seen that guy with a real good defense in a long time.

hopefully we can get him the horses. A few this year, maybe another 1 or 2 next year.

Rookie
Rookie
Good Read, thank you. One thing I think the change in Defense will help, is stopping/beating teams within our own division. The teams in the AFC North all have the run first mentality you need the which is normal too most, but in order for the 3-4 to work properly is you have to have the "Hybrid" player step up and make plays, something the Browns lacked.

When you lack the players to properly run the 3-4 you go back to basics, and that's what I feel the front office felt needed to happen. This team was trying to do sprints before it could walk.

Hopefully this class of rookies pan out as well as last year.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

If I remember games and games of watching the Browns since the return in 99, and contemplating how they are going to beat the Steelers, or most often how the Steelers beat them.

It seems every time the Browns have gone with the 3-4 the Steelers beat them with the pass.
and every time the Browns have gone with the 4-3, the Steelers beat them with the Run.

I just don't know how you are gonna stop the outside run with a 4-3 defense without 1 proven defensive end on the team.

Could you please stop with the FOM CEZ YAC stuff? Not every pass can go into the endzone. Most drives start at the 20-30 yards line, and quarterbacks aren't throwing 70 yard passes every play.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- Leftovers from our interview last week with Browns defensive coordinator Dick Jauron:

* The defense still has holes at left defensive end, free safety and perhaps another backup cornerback. Jauron figures to be prominent in plugging them when/if free agency starts.

"We've done our homework," he said. "Most places are fairly similar (in giving coaches a say in free agency). You're given a number of players to look at and you write a report and when the time comes, we'll prioritize and you move forward. Until that time, I know it's not appropriate for me to remark on any of it."

* Jauron was defensive coordinator with the Detroit Lions in 2004-05 and added the title of interim coach for the last five games in '05. Shaun Rogers was in his prime those years, making the NFC Pro Bowl squad at defensive tackle both of those seasons. Jauron was asked to compare Browns No. 1 pick Phil Taylor with Rogers.

"Probably some similarities and some differences, also," he said. "I think Shaun was taller, size-wise. Shaun was significantly bigger at this point. Athletically, (they were) maybe comparable. Shaun was a rare athlete ... very, very rare for that big of a man. The size thing inside, with the athleticism, is something I've always believed in. I think you've got to have it, certainly in our division."

After a season in which he hardly practiced and played, Rogers' contract was terminated by the Browns 19 days after Jauron joined them.

* Jauron expressed some intrigue in experimenting with linebacker Marcus Benard as a full-time defensive end. As a situational pass rusher, Benard, 6-2 and 256 pounds, produced 11 sacks in 21 NFL games under former coach Eric Mangini.

At the very least, Jauron said he expects Benard will continue in a pass rush role on obvious passing downs.

"We definitely have to find out about a lot of (the players)," Jauron said, "but we do believe that that may be a good spot for (Benard) and we've talked about that. It's kind of what we're looking at as we eventually get him here. We'll put his hand on the ground. We'll stand him up. And then we'll make decisions. But absolutely he'll get an opportunity to play that (situational) position, too."

* Jauron showered praise on all the assistant coaches who will be helping him on defense. The front defensive line is the key to any 4-3 defense, and that puts new defensive line coach Dwaine Board in a critical role.

"Dwaine Board is somebody I heard about for years but never worked with," Jauron said. "He's got the experience, has played and coached. He's a good man and a smart man. I'm really lucky to have him and to be here.

"Every coach is critically important. But those big guys (up front), they're critical. We felt we added to the group, now we have to move forward, coach them up and Dwaine's a great one to coach them."

Legend
Legend
Benard at DE is a no brainer IMO. The d-line is set.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Spending time in Phily might have made Jauron a bit more aggressive with his linebackers and the idea of Benard as a rush backer might not be to bad if you are going more of the blitz happy defense of the NFC East.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

The only issue is that Sheard and Benard both project at RDE. Both are smaller, quicker ends and most 4-3 have a bigger, more run stuffing end at LDE. Now with the 2 huge DTs in the middle with Rubin and Taylor, we may have al ittle more leyway way putting Benard and Sheard together at the ends.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

So Bernard is the starting DE and McCoy is legit. lol nice to know, love the optimism.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So Bernard is the starting DE and McCoy is legit. lol nice to know, love the optimism.

Super Bowl this year for sure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
yep.. pretty much.

Optimism? Look at your name? Now thats optimism. And you are bashing me?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I wasn't bashing you at all. If anything the optimism is a bit refreshing, the board has had a negative tone IMO the past season. I'd love for McCoy and Bernard to work out. I think Bernard has potential to be a pass rush specialist but I need to see more of him in the run game. As for McCoy he looked great in some games, and looked like a rookie in others. I still worry about his ability to get the ball to where it needs to go in Decemeber in CBS but I'm rooting for the guy.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
He has explained that his name is sarcasm.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Could you please stop with the FOM CEZ YAC stuff? Not every pass can go into the endzone. Most drives start at the 20-30 yards line, and quarterbacks aren't throwing 70 yard passes every play.

I agree.....I don't even know what the hell he is talking about.

TTTTSWYM....Take the time to say what you mean.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 05/16/11 07:58 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's Benard not Bernard.

Sorry, not trying to pick on you but it's a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people type out long explanations or opinions about a player/team (implying they actually know something about the topic) and yet don't even know how to spell the players names correctly. It makes it very hard to take anything they say seriously. It's akin to listening to a college calculus lecture where the professor continuously makes mistakes with addition.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

i totally get what you are saying, however, i think a qb in this league has to be able to make that kind of pass, even if he completes it a minimum amount of times.

i know not everyone buys into what bernie says, but if there is one thing to believe in, that he always bangs on, it's that a qb has to be able to "show" that. otherwise, i think you get the chuck frye/bq syndrome, where defensive backs don't even worry about something getting chucked deep, and your offensive sputters over time.

i think colt has to improve his arm strength. i am not expecting tom brady where he throws it 70 yards at least every other possession, but you have to to prove to the defenses, especially the ones we face every year, twice a year, you can make that play and you have it in your back pocket if they aren't going to play you honest.

i got curious a few months ago, and watched some aaron rogers footage from his first year, some pre-seasons stuff, and his arm wasn't what it is now, he was also a lot skinnier (much like colt), so i think if he puts the work in, he can do it, problem is he doesn't have that benefit that rogers did where he had zero pressure because he was favre's backup for a few years. rogers actually developed, unlike today's average qb who has to do it right away.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Brees is another. His arm strength before messing up his shoulder in SD was okay, but nothing compared to what it has been in NO these past few seasons.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rodgers and Colt are very different there. Rodgers had mechanical flaws and a big, but unfilled frame coming out of college. Colt has good mechanics and a small, filled frame. I don't see the room to improve there.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

It's Benard not Bernard.

Sorry, not trying to pick on you but it's a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people type out long explanations or opinions about a player/team (implying they actually know something about the topic) and yet don't even know how to spell the players names correctly. It makes it very hard to take anything they say seriously. It's akin to listening to a college calculus lecture where the professor continuously makes mistakes with addition.

Lighten up Francis....it sounds like you have taken too many calculus courses.

Ease up or you will poke a hole in your plastic pocket protector with your mechanical pencil.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"Ease up or you will poke a hole in your plastic pocket protector with your mechanical pencil."

That happened to me once,and the resulting accident is now 16yo,6' 3" and 295lbs.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i totally get what you are saying, however, i think a qb in this league has to be able to make that kind of pass, even if he completes it a minimum amount of times.

i know not everyone buys into what bernie says, but if there is one thing to believe in, that he always bangs on, it's that a qb has to be able to "show" that. otherwise, i think you get the chuck frye/bq syndrome, where defensive backs don't even worry about something getting chucked deep, and your offensive sputters over time.

i think colt has to improve his arm strength. i am not expecting tom brady where he throws it 70 yards at least every other possession, but you have to to prove to the defenses, especially the ones we face every year, twice a year, you can make that play and you have it in your back pocket if they aren't going to play you honest.

i got curious a few months ago, and watched some aaron rogers footage from his first year, some pre-seasons stuff, and his arm wasn't what it is now, he was also a lot skinnier (much like colt), so i think if he puts the work in, he can do it, problem is he doesn't have that benefit that rogers did where he had zero pressure because he was favre's backup for a few years. rogers actually developed, unlike today's average qb who has to do it right away.

The pass doesn't need to go 70 yards in the air though. If defenses are playing too far up and a receiver get behind them, hitting them in stride at 35 yards in the air is a much more likely scenario and Colt can do that. Rarely is a quarterback asked to complete a pass 70 yards in the air, and a vast majority of quarterbacks in the NFL couldn't do that.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

16yo,6' 3" and 295lbs.

can we forge some documents on that age. the Browns could use another DE afterall

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Quote:

Actually I was thinking of making that my signature on this board!

Hey it makes as much sense as yac does in the first place, to abbreviate "find an open man" or " catch in the end zone" yet the talking heads do it all the time.

I don't know what games some have been watching over the last few years, ever since they started Charlie Frye. The problem is they keep throwing these quick out routes that are either

incomplete after bouncing off the players body up in the air with an opportunity to be intercepted or

almost intercepted but dropped by the defender or

are actually intercepted, often ran back for big gains and some scores or

are caught by the Browns for little positive yards.

And I can't get it out of my Stupid Head that Charlie Frye and the Browns ( with this patheticly named west coast offense) started a possession off a turnover inside the opponents 20 yd line, ( so in the red zone), had 8 plays, because of penalties, took 8 snaps, threw 5 passes and none.
None of those passes were even ATTEMPTED to a player standing in the end zone!

If the Browns had a legitimate passing attack, then it would not make any sense for me to try to change peoples minds by posting that if the Quarterback could find the open man for a catch in the end zone then they wouldn't need yards after the catch!

I watch other teams that look like they get it. Colts, Packers, Eagles, and Cowboys.

Sure you need yards after the catch, with screen passes, shovel passes, even some designed to just get the first down,

Of course nobody expects to only throw hail mary's all day long, I wouldn't expect to watch 5 years where they never challenge a conerback, never challenge a safety, and always throw underneath, to the point they become so predictable that 5 pass attempts in a row are either int, or almost int...It did happen in one of Andersons last games.

Why don't the Browns have an ordinary average everyday passing game that 31 other NFL teams can figure out how to do, instead of this ( We'll throw everything underneath that way a db from another team won't be challenged / won't have to do his job.

On another note, they could practice, rolling out the qb to over the tackle to change the launch point of the pass to make it less predictable or

do as Ive seen the ravens do and move the pocket verticle instead of horizontal to change up the lanes of pass rushers and create open space for that underneath rb pass to have to get yac.

The Browns are going to have a much better passing attack this year than the last 5 years, especially if they can stay healthy.

The Quarterback is going to find the open man for a catch in the end zone which is far more important than yards after the catch.

If the QB can FOM for a CEZ then you don't need YAC!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually I was thinking of making that my signature on this board!

Hey it makes as much sense as yac does in the first place, to abbreviate "find an open man" or " catch in the end zone" yet the talking heads do it all the time.

I don't know what games some have been watching over the last few years, ever since they started Charlie Frye. The problem is they keep throwing these quick out routes that are either

incomplete after bouncing off the players body up in the air with an opportunity to be intercepted or

almost intercepted but dropped by the defender or

are actually intercepted, often ran back for big gains and some scores or

are caught by the Browns for little positive yards.

And I can't get it out of my Stupid Head that Charlie Frye and the Browns ( with this patheticly named west coast offense) started a possession off a turnover inside the opponents 20 yd line, ( so in the red zone), had 8 plays, because of penalties, took 8 snaps, threw 5 passes and none.
None of those passes were even ATTEMPTED to a player standing in the end zone!

If the Browns had a legitimate passing attack, then it would not make any sense for me to try to change peoples minds by posting that if the Quarterback could find the open man for a catch in the end zone then they wouldn't need yards after the catch!

I watch other teams that look like they get it. Colts, Packers, Eagles, and Cowboys.

Sure you need yards after the catch, with screen passes, shovel passes, even some designed to just get the first down,

Of course nobody expects to only throw hail mary's all day long, I wouldn't expect to watch 5 years where they never challenge a conerback, never challenge a safety, and always throw underneath, to the point they become so predictable that 5 pass attempts in a row are either int, or almost int...It did happen in one of Andersons last games.

Why don't the Browns have an ordinary average everyday passing game that 31 other NFL teams can figure out how to do, instead of this ( We'll throw everything underneath that way a db from another team won't be challenged / won't have to do his job.

On another note, they could practice, rolling out the qb to over the tackle to change the launch point of the pass to make it less predictable or

do as Ive seen the ravens do and move the pocket verticle instead of horizontal to change up the lanes of pass rushers and create open space for that underneath rb pass to have to get yac.

The Browns are going to have a much better passing attack this year than the last 5 years, especially if they can stay healthy.

The Quarterback is going to find the open man for a catch in the end zone which is far more important than yards after the catch.

If the QB can FOM for a CEZ then you don't need YAC!

Touchdown passes are great. Obviously, I'd rather see a 25 yard touchdown pass into the endzone than a 10 yard pass that turns into 30 with a run after the catch, but doesn't result in a touchdown.

As far as throwing passes into the endzone when in the redzone, that should be the goal, but the endzone is limited in space, so I'd rather Colt throw a 10 yard pass that is going to be positive yardage and potentially a TD after the catch than to see him throw passes into the endzone that may be a TD or an INT.

Basically, it all matters on the QB and decision making. If there is an open man in the endzone, throw it to him. If there is an open man 5 yards upfield with room to run, throw it to him and don't force it, even if you are close.

Hit the open man and the offense will score TDs regardless of whether the open man was in the endzone or not.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jauron has great opportunity

By Matt Florjancic, ClevelandBrowns.com Staff Writer

Posted May 26, 2011

Dick Jauron is excited about the opportunity he has been given as the Browns’ defensive coordinator.

When Dick Jauron was hired as the Browns’ defensive coordinator on January 21, 2011, he brought 26 years of coaching experience at the National Football League level to Cleveland. A former head coach with the Chicago Bears and later, the Buffalo Bills, Jauron is looking forward to coaching the Browns defense in 2011.

“Coach (Pat) Shurmur and (Browns president) Mike Holmgren have really given me an opportunity to be with a great organization, a great history, the team itself, the name,” Jauron said. “There was a period of a few years when it was dormant, but it’s back and the history is back with us. It goes way back. Obviously, you’ve got a very loyal fan-base, very supportive fans that want to win.”

The Browns switched to a 3-4 defensive alignment under the direction of former head coach Romeo Crennel during the 2005 season. However, Shurmur, Holmgren and Jauron will transition back to a base 4-3 defensive scheme, which the team used from 1999 through 2004 after returning to the NFL.

In addition to being the leader of the defense, Jauron was one of several coaches with playoff experience to join the Browns staff this off-season. One of Jauron’s special assistants is former Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers head coach Ray Rhodes.

Both Jauron and Rhodes are former NFL Coaches of the Year.

“Because it is total from the 3-4 to the 4-3, we’re repersonneling it to some degree,” Jauron said. “Some things fit. Certainly, some players fit, some others don’t, unfortunately. We’ve got a lot of work to do. We’ll have a good time doing it. We’ll get ready.

“I really like the staff that Coach Pat and Mike put together,” he continued. “I really enjoy working with them. They’re a great group of people, a lot of the knowledge and a lot of information, so we can take from everybody and piece the thing together. I really enjoy Cleveland and being here.”

During the 2011 NFL Draft, the Browns added four players to both the offensive and defensive sides of the football. They spent their first two selections on defensive linemen, tackle Phil Taylor from Baylor University with the No. 21 pick overall and end Jabaal Sheard in the second round.

Later in the draft, the Browns selected cornerback Buster Skrine and safety Eric Hagg to add depth in the secondary.

“Like every defensive coach, probably in the world, you want a really aggressive defense, a really physical defense. These guys are physical players,” said Jauron. “They’re very aggressive. They play with an attitude. They’re both hard workers. Phil’s a giant inside guy. We need that. Our division is a tough division, not that there are any out there that aren’t tough, but ours is very physically tough. People pride themselves in this division on their physical play and their ability to run the football. We’ve got to be able to stop that to some degree, control that. Phil’s a big, physical force inside. Jabaal is a physical player on the edge. He’s got pass-rush skills, as does Phil. Different, obviously, but Jabaal’s got speed off the edge. He’s got an attitude; he comes to the ball; he hits people.

“Buster and Hagg are two defensive backs that we like a great deal,” he added. “Buster’s got great speed and, we thought, great athletic ability. We love the way he played. He was a tough guy that fit us too. He’s not a big man like the two up-front guys, but he doesn’t have to be. We’re anticipating contributions from both he and Eric Hagg. Eric has a great feel for the game. He didn’t run a great time at the combine, but every time you watch a Nebraska football game on tape, he just made plays. He continued to make plays and he was a smart player. He played in their Nickel package as a nickel and in their Dime sub-package. We think he can play some safety too, probably either one, free or strong.”

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2011/...ive-4-3-scheme/

New Browns defensive coordinator Dick Jauron wants aggressive 4-3 scheme

Filed by Scott Petrak May 31st, 2011 in Sports.

Dick Jauron has a history degree from Yale, but an Ivy League education isn’t needed to understand his defensive philosophy.

“It is really simple: I want to be a very aggressive defense,” Jauron, the Browns defensive coordinator, said recently in a phone interview with The Chronicle, one of his first since getting the job in January. “You want to feel like you’re attacking. You don’t want to feel like you’re reacting all the time.
“You have to be multiple enough to keep offenses guessing and unpredictable enough to keep them off-balance. But you have to be simple enough to feel comfortable and be able to get repetitions.”

Aggressive usually translates to one thing on defense: blitzing. How often are you getting after the quarterback, and with how many guys?

“A third is a good target. Sometimes more, sometimes less,” Jauron said. “You want to keep ‘em on their heels as much as you can.”

The .33 blitz percentage applies to any time the defense rushes more than the four defensive linemen.

“You’re adding somebody or more than somebody,” Jauron said. “There are a number of different kinds of pressures.”

Jauron has seen every blitz imaginable during his time in the NFL. He played safety in the league for nine years, totaling 26 interceptions, and was chosen for the Pro Bowl in 1974 as a punt returner. He’s been coaching for 26 years, including nine as a head coach.

He spent 2010 as Philadelphia’s senior assistant/defensive backs coach after four years as the head coach in Buffalo. He was in demand after last season but chose to work for coach Pat Shurmur and president Mike Holmgren.
“It wasn’t difficult,” Jauron said. “It wasn’t like I didn’t know anybody here.”
Jauron coached on Holmgren’s staff in Green Bay, along with Fritz Shurmur, Pat’s uncle. Shurmur also played for Fritz.

“I knew they were people I could really trust and liked being around,” Jauron said. “I like the feeling of being around good people in sports.

“I also like the history here. I felt somewhat connected to Paul Brown, Forrest Gregg, Dick Modzelewski. It’s an interesting deal, always has been for me.”
As the NFL lockout is set to enter its fourth month, much of the angst among Browns fans is how Shurmur - also the offensive coordinator - will be able to install his West Coast offense in time. Often taken for granted is the defense’s conversion from the 3-4 system of Eric Mangini and Rob Ryan to Jauron’s 4-3.

“It’s a good-sized switch,” Jauron said. “Against the run game it’s different. Personnel-wise and pressure-wise it’s different. There are big differences.”
The biggest change is upfront. Not only is there an additional lineman, the body types, techniques and responsibilities must be adjusted.

Jauron’s linemen won’t have as much two-gap responsibility, meaning they won’t be asked to line up directly over an offensive lineman and stop the run to either of his shoulders. The difference will be evident in the size of the ends. Last year’s starters, Robaire Smith and Kenyon Coleman, were 6-foot-5, 310 pounds and 6-5, 295. Jabaal Sheard, a second-round draft choice out of Pitt, is 6-3, 254.

“Personnel may always be the hardest thing, no matter what,” Jauron said of the switch to the 4-3. “You gotta have guys who can make plays. If you have talented players who want to play and are the right kind of guys, then you have the chance to be a team.

“I think scheme and coaching are real important, but you gotta have the players.”

With free agency a casualty of the lockout so far, the Browns’ first chance to address the roster came in the April draft. They didn’t waste any time targeting the front four.

After trading from No. 6 to 27, the Browns traded up to No. 21 to assure they’d get Phil Taylor, a 6-3, 337-pound tackle from Baylor. Sheard was the pick at No. 37. A tackle and an end expected to step right in and join incumbent tackle Ahtyba Rubin in the starting lineup.

Jauron said taking the tackle first was a byproduct of the team’s draft rankings.

“We wanted it to be that way - inside first - because we had particular guys targeted,” he said. “We felt we had strong needs everywhere. Luckily it worked out the way it did. They were two players we really liked.
“They play hard, and in our division we’ve got to have guys who can stand in there against the run, fight you every down and hold up. It’s a tough division.”
From general manager Tom Heckert to Jauron to every yahoo doing a mock draft, it was obvious the Browns would address the line at some point. Rubin was the only returnee guaranteed a starting spot.

“People do say a lot starts upfront, and there’s truth in that,” Jauron said. “If you can’t stop the run, it’s not going to matter if you can defend the pass, because they’re not going to throw it.

“If you can get pressure with four, you’ve got a chance to be a really good team. You need those guys upfront.”

Thanks to the lockout, Jauron has yet to coach any of his players, and hasn’t even met some. Linebacker Scott Fujita received coaching materials during the two-day window when the lockout was paused, but that’s not the same as Jauron and his staff installing the 4-3 during minicamps and organized team activities.

“It’s not the best. That’s for certain,” he said of the lockout. “None of us have been through this, this is a new one. Hopefully it gets done quickly.”
Jauron inherited a defense that ranked 22nd overall, 27th against the run and 18th against the pass. He’s watched plenty of film on his new pupils, including cornerback Joe Haden and safety T.J. Ward, who are entering their second season.

“They’re tough guys,” Jauron said. “Clearly, in any game of football, that’s where it starts. The people we drafted fit that mold, too. They play like they want to play.

“The Browns were clearly a team that played hard. There was never an issue with their effort. That’s a great thing, it shows character.”

The overhaul of the line started in the draft. Linebacker is a different situation. Veterans Fujita, Chris Gocong and D’Qwell Jackson are penciled in as the starters.

“If they can stay healthy and on the field, we look OK,” Jauron said.
Jackson is the biggest “if.” He missed the last 26 games with two torn pectoral muscles, and hardly anybody in the front office or on the coaching staff was in Cleveland the last time he played.

“I feel like we know him,” Jauron said. “He’s a good player. We’ve just got to keep him on the field.”

The selections of Haden and Ward in the first two rounds in 2010 began the transformation of the secondary. Veteran Sheldon Brown, restricted free agent Eric Wright and rookie fifth-round pick Buster Skrine provide some depth at cornerback, but finding a free safety to play opposite Ward is one of the team’s top priorities in free agency.

“We would love to add a safety,” Jauron said. “Anywhere we can upgrade any position at the right cost, we would keep doing it.”

Jauron is in good shape and clean-shaven. He speaks in measured tones and thinks before he answers a question. He just might be the anti-Rob Ryan, the outgoing defensive coordinator.

“It’s probably an adjustment for the players,” he said. “It’s always an adjustment when there’s a change. It’s just another one they’ll make.”

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Good Read.

Shurmur being from the Eagles bltiz happy tradition and then with Spagnola's get after it defense for the Rams is a good setup for Jauron to be as aggressive as he wants to be. Browns fans will also appreciate aggressiveness.

I really like the Jauron/Rhodes combo. Ray Rhodes is great at getting the most out of the guys up front. Jauron is great at getting the most out of his secondary. On paper at least, it should be a perfect match.

I been thinking on Free agents.

Posluzny would be a good upgrade over gocong and spent his career in Jauron's system. Kirk Morrison is one of the best pure tacklers in the league and another good option at MLB althouth I think we may wish to add an OLB and move DQ back to the middle if healthy.

Thomas Davis at OLB would be terrific for us.

I would still take a run at Brandon Mebane. He would make a terrific 3 man rotation at DT. Cullen Jenkins would be a pipe dream.

Michael Huff at FS would make this one hell of a secondary especially if Wright can regain his form. Donte Whitner would be a good option as well with his system familiarity.

I like Benard a lot and believe he can man the LDE spot but there will be quiet a few defensive ends out there looking for work. Ray Edwards just seems like one of those that will be content with a big contract and never live up to it. Kiwi is pretty much a Right side DE. A lot of talent out there including some undrafteds that I wouldnt mind taking a look at.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 05/31/11 12:42 PM.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yep, I think unless Ray Edwards ends up w/ a really solid D, he will disappoint to some degree. And regardless of where he lands, he's going to be overpaid.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.....good read, and I am really liking the Jauron selection.

The guy has a ton of experience and has done well....no reason he won't bring the same thing here.

I think he has the tackles to get it done against the inside run...them making the play or keeping people off the MLB so he can make the play.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I really like the coaches on the defensive side of the ball. Experienced guys who have been head guys in the league. Its good for a young team implementing a new defense.

I was just thinking what a mess this will be the first year, with no OTA's to put everything together. New offense, new defense, no practice time-- yikes. The longer this labor problem drags on, maybe the best thing for the browns is a significantly shortened season. If it is going to be ugly on the field, maybe a shortened season is in everyone's best interest. That being said, it sure would be a bad deal if the draft disappeared- would make the Falcon trade worthless.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

j/c

I really like the coaches on the defensive side of the ball. Experienced guys who have been head guys in the league. Its good for a young team implementing a new defense.

I was just thinking what a mess this will be the first year, with no OTA's to put everything together. New offense, new defense, no practice time-- yikes. The longer this labor problem drags on, maybe the best thing for the browns is a significantly shortened season. If it is going to be ugly on the field, maybe a shortened season is in everyone's best interest. That being said, it sure would be a bad deal if the draft disappeared- would make the Falcon trade worthless.

I really think we made a HUGE blunder not retaining Rob Ryan who got the defense playing far better than the mediocre parts. With new picks and free agency, a Rob Ryan could start to have attracted the players he wanted had we( the front office) made an effort to retain him. Instead we start over with new parts and watch the team become 3-13 cannon fodder once again.
Then listen to the coaches blame the youth of the defenders. As Matt Roth, on his way out the door said.."players would run through a wall for that guy" of Ryan and said nothing about jauron, which Did say something. Nice move Holmgren.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jauron and his 4-3

Link Copied to Clipboard