Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#596419 05/25/11 12:36 PM
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/25/matt-stover-to-retire-a-raven-on-thursday/

Matt Stover to retire a Raven on Thursday

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 25, 2011, 10:28 AM EDT

Matt Stover’s career began in 1991 as a member of the old version of the Cleveland Browns under Bill Belichick. Twenty years later, his career will officially end when he retires a member of the Ravens.

Stover was out of football in 2010. He spent 18 years with the Browns/Ravens before helping out the Colts during their Super Bowl run during 2009. He retires fourth all time in points and field goals; he made one Pro Bowl and won a Super Bowl.

The Ravens say they will make an additional announcement about Stover and the team at his press conference Thursday.

Legend
Legend
Good,...hopefully they have trouble finding another, but I doubt it.

Legend
Legend
Good, I hate his stinking guts. I hope he's miserable in retirement.

Traitorous bastage scum.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Cundiff made the Pro Bowl last year and set the record for touchbacks in a season.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Wasn't he on the browns team for a while too?

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Yep, and he shoved Cleveland off the cliff when MoSmell moved the team.

I hate Stover almost as much as I hate MoSmell.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

They signed their Pro-Bowl Kicker from last year Billy Cundiff to a 5 year extension in January.

link

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I hate Stover almost as much as I hate MoSmell.

All this over a kicker?

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Traitorous bastage scum.

What was he supposed to do? Say 'Screw the four year deal I signed, I'm going to sell cars?'

I think the lasting memory I will have of Stover was DA telling him we were going to overtime while he was being interviewed.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

All this over a kicker?

I was thinking the same thing, he was a solid kicker, and we ended up with a solid kicker in Dawson, so I don't see or feel a loss or have any anger built up towards Stover. Modell took the team and some of the players that were still under contract to Baltimore, players can't control this. I find it a waste of "hate" but I guess some have problems with a guy who kicked on the team when it existed here prior. First I ever heard of someone having an issue with Stover, but hey this is one of those you learn something new everyday moments I guess.

Legend
Legend
Good riddance. Soldout.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Legend
Legend
N
how can he 'retire a Raven' during the lockout? generally they sign a 1-day contract and announce retirement, but he can't do that right now.

so, Stover is a Colt (his last team)

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I think the lasting memory I will have of Stover was DA telling him we were going to overtime while he was being interviewed.

yep....that was the best

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
Legend
Legend
No. He said something along the lines of .... If Cleveland had wanted to keep the Browns then they should have supported the team ..... or words to that effect.

He was a classless asshat. I wish him nothing good ever. (Yeah, I can hold a grudge)

Legend
Legend
I'm just curious how this is Obama's fault.

Seriously, though, as others have said, the one thing I'll remember about Stover is DA telling him about OT.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

No. He said something along the lines of .... If Cleveland had wanted to keep the Browns then they should have supported the team ..... or words to that effect.

Can't say I disagree with him much.

The city of Cleveland really screwed the pooch on that one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Really? You can't figure this out?

He obviously had a few too many beers over in Ireland and then, stupidly, tried to drive home anyway. Ultimately getting his car stuck on a speed bump, he was unable to get home in time to stop the Browns from to move to Baltimore, prompting Stover's comments.

Please try to follow along more closely next time, will ya?

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Really? You can't figure this out?

He obviously had a few too many beers over in Ireland and then, stupidly, tried to drive home anyway. Ultimately getting his car stuck on a speed bump, he was unable to get home in time to stop the Browns from to move to Baltimore, prompting Stover's comments.

Please try to follow along more closely next time, will ya?

man, you've got it all wrong here. Obama took a position teaching constitutional law at the University of Chicago in 1992 so that he would have enough free time to undermine the relationship between Art Modell and the city of Cleveland. He carefully crafted the departure of the Browns.

the Democratic Party was so impressed with his work that they supported him for the Illinois Senate in 1997. Obama thought he could use that as a stepping stone to the US House, but little did he know that Al Lerner would block his 2000 bid. After Al's death in 2002, Obama was reenergized and put his efforts into a successful 2004 bid into the US Senate and subsequently the Presidency.

Of course, in Obama fashion, the US Presidency will merely be a stepping stone to the position that he has wanted all along. NFL Commissioner.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I thought Obama's dream job was to be Jay Bilas.

yebat' Putin
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Can't say I disagree with him much.

The city of Cleveland really screwed the pooch on that one.

That's my thinking on this subject. Anyone who is willing to put 100% of the blame on Modell must not understand what actually transpired, but the city of Cleveland, Mayor White (at the time), and the NFL are to blame as well. Modell was part of the problem not the whole problem.

I still don't understand the "anger" shown towards a kicker, who, along with the punter are the least actual football players on a football team. Who cares what he said, and if you do take the time to care at least recognize that his supposed comments do reek of the truth.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Traitorous bastage scum.

I don't really understand that comment. ??

I don't have any love for Stover, but really YTBF.....what did you expect him to do....retire in protest when the Browns moved???

When a plant in Youngstown shuts down to move to Meridian, Mississippi, do the locals call those who move south to keep their jobs traitors???

Maybe I am just dumb, but I call them lucky and smart.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No, it's the way he went about it.

Other guys kept their mouths shut about the whole matter. Stover was out front, trying to absolve Modell of any and all blame. He blamed the city ..... the voters .......and the fans. (and the voters hadn't even voted yet)

You guys can love him if you want ... I will always loath and detest this scumbag.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

You guys can love him if you want ... I will always loath and detest this scumbag.

Who loves Stover? I didn't read that anywhere. I guess I would understand better if you presented a valid reason to hate the guy, but being bitter over a few words, (which I and others never heard before) is over the top. It's fine to dislike the guy but to label him a scumbag for a supposed statement is just goofy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hate is a strong emotion. It can cause health issues. You should calm down and get some help. We all want you to take care of yourself, ya know?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I always thought Stover liked being a Brown. If you noticed he missed his fair share of first half kicks vs the Browns while wearing the Raven uniform.

He could be really reliable against other teams but was always good for at least a beneficial miss vs the Browns when he was on the Ravens.

If he was kind of helping the Browns out by conveintly pulling a kick wide here or there, I always was happy about that.

Everytime he came up to kick, I thought deep down he was a closet Browns fan and was going to help the Browns out.
His retirement would have been more consequential if he were still playing last year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I guess I can understand someone not being old enough to remember him as a Brown, even though it wasn't that long ago..........but I can't understand why you couldn't read the originating post that you replied to that already stated he was a Brown.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I always thought Stover liked being a Brown. If you noticed he missed his fair share of first half kicks vs the Browns while wearing the Raven uniform.

He could be really reliable against other teams but was always good for at least a beneficial miss vs the Browns when he was on the Ravens.

If he was kind of helping the Browns out by conveintly pulling a kick wide here or there, I always was happy about that.

Everytime he came up to kick, I thought deep down he was a closet Browns fan and was going to help the Browns out.
His retirement would have been more consequential if he were still playing last year.

Thanks to the beauty of high speed internet it only takes a few minutes to show that you are in dire need of a laxative because you are so full of crap.

1999- 3/3
2000- 7/8 (Balt won 12-0 in game he missed)
2001- 3/3
2002- 6/6
2003- 3/5 (Balt won 33-13 & 35-0)
2004- 5/5
2006- 5/5
2007- 5/7 (Cleve won 27-13)
2008- 3/4 (Balt won 28-10)

I didn't look if they were first half misses, but he rarely did miss against us and they were ABSOLUTELY not consequential in any outcome. The guy was obviously doing his job for his team and to think a guy would shank kicks to give his old team an edge is ludicrous.

When Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore in 1996, Stover moved with it. For 13 seasons, Stover kicked for the Ravens, often tormenting the Browns with multiple-field goal games. Frequently, Stover's field goals were the extent of Baltimore's scoring.

During that time, Stover scored more points against the Browns than against any other team. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl following the 2000 season, the first person Stover hugged was Modell.

web page

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I guess I can understand someone not being old enough to remember him as a Brown, even though it wasn't that long ago..........but I can't understand why you couldn't read the originating post that you replied to that already stated he was a Brown.

Seeing who he replied to ... I think he was talking about Cundiff and not Stover.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Other guys kept their mouths shut about the whole matter. Stover was out front, trying to absolve Modell of any and all blame. He blamed the city ..... the voters .......and the fans. (and the voters hadn't even voted yet)

He blamed the fans?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Traitorous bastage scum.

I don't really understand that comment. ??

I don't have any love for Stover, but really YTBF.....what did you expect him to do....retire in protest when the Browns moved???

When a plant in Youngstown shuts down to move to Meridian, Mississippi, do the locals call those who move south to keep their jobs traitors???

Maybe I am just dumb, but I call them lucky and smart.

I was kinda wondering about that myself.. I mean, to each his own and all, but the hatrid for him seems out of place.... Oh well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If I follow correctly, Andra was replying to crfs, who had commented on Cundiff... I believe his question of "Wasn't he on the Browns for a while too" is in regard to Cundiff and not Stover... and Cundiff was, in fact, on our roster for 5 games in 2009...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

He blamed the fans?

Yes he did.

He blamed the city. He blamed the voters. (who hadn't even had an opportunity to vote on the ballot issue at that point) He blamed the fans for not supporting the team strongly enough. He spoke out against people who protested with the league office .... because it caused Modell pain. Boo Freakin Hoo.

He was the one Raven, above all others except Modell, that I hated to see get a ring.

I found it ironic that the fans in Baltimore felt betrayed when he signed with the Colts.

N
Legend
Legend
N
thank you shep for responding to him and saving me the time of looking up those stats as I also remembered Stover being dang good against the Browns.

and TL - so the Steelers threw the superbowl and the Ravens kicker shanked FGs against the Browns? despite absolutely no evidence to that end and alot of evidence against it. please remove the tinfoil hat.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I didn't know you had Irish Alzheimers ytown.. you only remember the grudges.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He blamed the fans?

Yes he did.

He blamed the city. He blamed the voters. (who hadn't even had an opportunity to vote on the ballot issue at that point) He blamed the fans for not supporting the team strongly enough. He spoke out against people who protested with the league office .... because it caused Modell pain. Boo Freakin Hoo.

He was the one Raven, above all others except Modell, that I hated to see get a ring.

I found it ironic that the fans in Baltimore felt betrayed when he signed with the Colts.

Shows you how much I actually cared what he said...LOL I didn't know he badmouthed the fans at all... wow, I still don't remember him doing that.,.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seeing who he replied to ... I think he was talking about Cundiff and not Stover.

No doubt. Mea culpa on my pre-coffee posting.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

He blamed the fans for not supporting the team strongly enough.

I highly doubt that.

Legend
Legend
I was there.

Also, for al of the mistakes that the politicians made, the initial "Gateway" complex was going to be an Indians/Browns complex .... with a new football stadium next to the new Indians ball park. Modell put the stop to that .... after it was all funded ..... so that's when the Cavaliers entered the picture. Modell owned the rights to all income at Muni. and he wanted the same at the new stadium .. but that wasn't the deal.

Modell also spoke out against Baltimore getting an expansion team ..... and tried to block other teams from moving there. He had this plan in mind for a long, long time .... and he was about to have it all blow up if the vote on his plan (which might have failed at that point) would have passed. Modell did as much as he could to get the vote to fail ....even encouraging people to stay home because it wasn't going to matter. (as he put it)

The Cleveland politicians may have had a hand in the mess with Modell and the Browns .... but it was Modell's hand on the gun.

Modell suffered a ton of backlash .... as can be expected. Stover was the nmost vocal defender of Modell .... even when players like Everett were speaking out against the move, and for the fans ... (along with other players speaking out for the fans) .... Stover defended Modell, and spoke against those who spoke against him .... including the fans. (because the fans were the biggest group blasting Modell)

Anyway ... I don't know if you were in the Cleveland area or not during that time ..... but I was. I was in Kent .... watched all of the local Cleveland media .. read the Cleveland media .... and I know what was going on.

Were you there?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Anyway ... I don't know if you were in the Cleveland area or not during that time ..... but I was. I was in Kent .... watched all of the local Cleveland media .. read the Cleveland media .... and I know what was going on.

Were you there?

Indeed.

Sat in Modell's spokesman's seats the final season when he couldn't show his face in Muni.

Still own those two seats.

Read the 'A Case For Relocation' in-house packet from Modell's P.R. firm about six months before anyone even thought it might be an option. Still gathering dust somewhere in my father's basement, I imagine. Big thick plastic spiral laminated notebook with a Browns helmet on front, but the font of the helmet was red.

I know far more about what was going on than you ever will, if you want to make it a peeing contest.

Legend
Legend
I know what I heard ... and Stover defended that piece of crap .... and blamed the city and people of Cleveland for not helping Modell enough.

You may not have heard it .... and frankly I don't care.

I know that Modell was planning the move for a long time before he actually did so. That was clear (in retrospect) by virtue of his moves leading up to that point. The fact that he refused to go in with the Gateway Project. The fact that he wanted to stay at Muni, where he held a favorable, but burdensome lease. The fact that he blocked Baltimore from getting an expansion team. There are a few other clues that I can't recall off the top of my head, but that added up afterwards.

Yeah ... he had it planned for probably 2 or 3 years in advance of the actual move.

Getting back to Stover ...... he defended Modell at the time of the move, and again when they won their Super Bowl. He did so in such a way that was insulting to the city, and fans of the Browns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Stover retiring . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard