Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I've been watching the Top 100 NFL players of 2011 on NFLN, and there has been quite the disagreement about the WRs and QBs on the list. I figured I'd throw them up on here and see what everybody thought on here

I've listed all the positions alphabetically.

Top 10 QBs
multiple choice, up to 10 choices
Votes accepted starting: 05/30/11 04:15 AM
Top 10 RBs
Top 10 WRs
Top 10 TEs

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
Legend
You should qualify the voting. Am I voting for the player I would want on my team right now to win a game of the player I would want right now and into the future...

If I need to win one game right now I want Tom Brady... If I'm building my team for the future I want Matt Ryan.

yebat' Putin
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
The only qualification that I have is ... in your opinion who are the Top 10 at each position right now.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

N
Legend
Legend
N
I only voted for 9 QBs because after the top9, I see the next set all about equal (and probably Flacco would get the nod and I didn't want to vote for him)

2 WRs in 'other' = Hakeem Nicks and Steve Johnson

1 TE in 'other' = Jacob Tamme (over Dallas Clark who he replaced because he can stay healthy and is a much better blocker as well while having glue for hands in the passing game)

#gmstrong
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I almost put Steve Johnson in there and thought about Nicks, but Lloyd and Wallace had more yards and higher per catch numbers.

All four had breakout years last year. Lloyd and Wallace had more production.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, I put Steve Johnson in the top10 because the Bills didn't "discover" what they had in him until really week5. So, he put up almost the same numbers as anyone else in 3/4 of a season. Though if anyone wants to downgrade him for single-handedly losing the Pitt game, I wouldn't fault them for it either.

I put Nicks in the top10 because he can do anything one would want a WR to be able to do. He can go over the middle, he can go deep, he's a red zone threat, he can beat double coverage, he has great hands.

Lloyd has too much of a negative track record before last year's 'peak' year. Wallace definitely is on the cusp of the top10 (or arguably in it already).

for completion sake, my top10 (in no order)

Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Roddy White
Greg Jennings
Dwayne Bowe
Reggie Wayne
Hakeem Nicks
Steve Johnson
DeSean Jackson

#gmstrong
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Well if you're gonna look at Johnson's game numbers, he had 40 catches 560 yards and 7 tds from week 5 through week 10. That's half his catches and yards and 3/4 of his tds in 6 weeks. He only had 3 weeks all season with more than 72 yards (all 3 were over 130 yards).

Lloyd had 6 100-yard weeks and Wallace had 7.

And with Nicks, I like what he does, he just has to stay healthy for a full season before I'm gonna put him up there.

I'm thinking about putting up another poll for the defense positions (DE, DT, OLB, ILB, S, and CB).

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

Legend
Legend
Many were as expected. Did we match many of the results in the other place? This was interesting to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
From NFL Networks Top 100 of 2011, which was chosen by the NFL players, only #51-100 have been revealed to this point. NFLN has released some details about the list like the # of QBs, WRs, and TEs. Here's the link to the list so far.

There are 12 QBs on the list: McNabb was 100, Flacco was 90, Freeman was 88, Romo was 72, and Ryan was 52. Those that have been on the show seem to be in consensus that the remaining 7 will be Brady, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Vick.

IIRC, there are 17 WRs on the list (including returners who are listed at WR): Owens was 91, Cribbs was 84, Mike Williams was 83, Holmes was 76, Jennings was 74, Austin was 71, Marshall was 61, Lloyd was 58, and Colston was 53. They were shocked that Jennings was so low.

There are only 5 TEs on the list: Davis was 88 and Clark was 73. It's assumed that the other three are Witten, Gates, and Gonzalez.

They haven't released the number of RBs that I can remember, but there have only been 3 so far on the list: McFadden was 98, Gore was 94, and Rice was 54.

Another interesting point was there are 6 Cowboys on the list the most of any team: Jay Ratliff was 75, Romo was 72, Austin was 70, Andre Gurode was 57. It's also assumed the remaining Cowboys are Demarcus Ware and Jason Witten.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Update after tonight.

There are 18 WRs on the list not 17. And that's including Cribbs and Hester. Welker came in at 50 and Bowe was at 46. So that makes the list so far Owens, Cribbs, Mike Williams, Holmes, Jennings, Austin, Marshall, Lloyd, Colston, Welker, Bowe. They seem to agree that the remaining list is Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, Wayne, White, Jackson, and Hester.

They also announced there are 10 RBs and Hillis is not one of them. Turner came off the list at 42. So far it's been McFadden, Gore, Rice, and Turner. CJ, AP, MJD, Foster, and Jamaal Charles were assumed to be on the list. The remaining slot was up to SJax, McCoy, Mendenhall, and Hillis. Then they announced that Hillis wasn't on the list because there was only 2 Browns and Cribbs and Thomas had come off the list.

Big Ben came off the list at 41, they had the debate of whether Vick or Big Ben should be higher on the list.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Joe Thomas should be top twenty at least. And probably top ten.

214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
They revealed the rest of the list last night.

Here's how they ranked the top 10 at each position (top 5 TE) followed by our rank:

QB:
Players - Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Vick, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Romo, Freeman

DT - Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Vick, Flacco, Freeman

RB:
Players - Peterson, C.Johnson, Foster, Jones-Drew, Charles, Jackson, Turner, Rice, Gore, McFadden

DT - Peterson, C.Johnson, Hillis, Jones-Drew, Charles, Jackson, Rice, Foster, Turner, Gore

WR: Excluding Hester
Players - A.Johnson, Fitzgerald, White, C.Johnson, Jackson, Wayne, Bowe, Welker, Colston, Lloyd

DT - A.Johnson, Fitzgerald, C.Johnson, White, Jackson, Wayne, Marshall, Jennings, Bowe, Welker

TE:
Players - Gates, Witten, Gonzalez, Clark, Davis

DT - Gates, Clark, Witten, Davis, Gonzalez

Keep in mind this was the NFL players that did the voting, not anyone in the media or at NFLN.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

Legend
Legend
Donovan McNabb said on ESPN Radio Chicago that "The players didn't vote on this" and "Nobody asked me." Just F everyone's I.

214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
It was voted on at the Pro-Bowl. So Donovan wouldn't know much about that. Brandon Lloyd and Demarcus Ware were on the show and said they voted.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

Legend
Legend
If we used the "Donovan didn't know about it...so it can't be true" philosphy we wouldn't have this list to discuss and ties in the NFL.

He's kinda turned into a goofball.

- Throwing up in the huddle on the last drive in the Super Bowl
- Being thrown under the bus by T.O. and being in the middle of that whole fiasco
- Not knowing an NFL game could end in a tie
- Being traded by his longtime team and coach to a divisional rival so the Eagles could move a convicted felon and rookie QB up the depth chart.
- Being benched against the Lions just before the last drive where his team needed a TD for Rex Freaking Grossman
- And then having the coach say he wasn't mentally and physically prepared for the situation.
- Then signing a huge extension a week or so later with the Redskins that has an opt out clause at the end of the season which we all know he'd use. IMO, they gave him a bit of a bonus because they trashed him so badly in the press.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Top Ten players at each skill position (QB, RB, WR, TE)

Link Copied to Clipboard