Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
Anyone have any suggestions on where to take a nice friendly family vacation?

The wife likes the beach and we have tried Topsail Island NC a few times any other suggestions or secrets to some of your not to busy beach areas?

Thank

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Holden beach NC only 30 minute's from Myrtle beach.
Clean and not packed.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
How about taking them to the In-Laws????

Now there is a vacation for YOU.....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I haven't been to either in ages, but Hilton Head, SC was always great as a kid, and Savannah, GA is pretty close by. And the outer banks was good too, but not a lot for kids that I recall.

My sister and her family go to Gatlinburg, TN quite a bit.

S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
thanks for the quick responses....... will check into Holden Beach.... we like unpacked beaches the most

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
where do you live?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
South of Canton but am willing to drive some....

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I haven't been to either in ages, but Hilton Head, SC was always great as a kid, and Savannah, GA is pretty close by. And the outer banks was good too, but not a lot for kids that I recall.

My sister and her family go to Gatlinburg, TN quite a bit.

I was in Hilton Head last September and it was great.

I think it all depends on when you go. My wife went with her family last July and she said Hilton Head was miserable because it was so packed, but we went in September and there was no one there. It was great.

Legend
Legend
For about 20 years, we went to Emerald Isle, NC, which is just outside of Jacksonville. We NEVER had problems with crowds and there was plenty to do if you were willing to drive a little bit (20 or 30 mins). Really nice aquarium, mini golf, go carts, etc. Also, Camp Lejeune marine base is right there, so you sometimes see the helicopters and jets fly over which is pretty cool.

We went to Tybee Island, GA this past spring, and it was great. It was the last week in March, and it wasn't crowded at all. Plus, Savannah was really great.

This summer, we've switched from Emerald Isle to Kure Beach (near Wilmington). We just wanted something different. But we always liked Emerald Isle, mostly because it wasn't crowded at all.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
Hey how is/was Kure Beach, this is the spot others have mentioned to me as well because they have the aquarium and Fort Fisher right there....

Legend
Legend
Well, I've never been there, and we don't get there until the 15th. I'll let you know, though.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The Georgia Golden Isles are under the radar....and great beaches.....I like St Simons.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
If you want a good kid vacation, Branson, Missouri.

In the summer, 5 million people are there and 4 million are 4 feet and under.

Okay I exaggerate that number a bit but you get the idea. Just finding an adult beverage in that town was an event.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If you want a good kid vacation, Branson, Missouri.

In the summer, 5 million people are there and 4 million are 4 feet and under.

Okay I exaggerate that number a bit but you get the idea. Just finding an adult beverage in that town was an event.

I don't know about him, but i wouldn't want it that kid friendly.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Everything there is geared for kids. Everything.

You won't find a foul mouthed comedian or foul mouthed anything in that town. It's all peachy keen and rosey cheeks.

Since my wife and I don't have kids and she was the one who dreamed up this idea of a vacation there, when we got there I just looked at here with the WTF were you thinking look on my face.

There is a river that runs through the town where we found a mexican joint that had a decent margarita, but like the dinner cruise we took, the hardest thing we could order to drink was an iced tea.

#GMSTRONG
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

The Georgia Golden Isles are under the radar....and great beaches.....I like St Simons.

I agree. We used to do Jekyll Island every summer. Prices there are cheap, lots of gorgeous golf (again, cheap), quiet beaches, bike trails, a waterpark, etc. They stopped all new development on the island in the 60's or something, so it hasn't been allowed to turn into a tourist trap.

We would get a 2 bedroom apartment on the beach for $600 for the week during the 4th of July week. Golf is around $60 for all you can play all day, and I think that includes a cart for your first 18 holes. Those courses are nicer than any I have played in Michigan (though that isn't saying much).

Savannah is a short drive away if you want to go somewhere else on a day trip. Definitely a great family vacation spot without the crowds.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If you're looking for a day trip, which I suspect you're not, Kennywood amusement park in Pittsburgh is great for families. There's rides for thrill seekers and other fun rides for those who enjoy the tamer type of thrills.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
How old are the kids and what do they like to do?

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
One wont be doin to much to young but the other is 3 and just loves to go do anything.... he loved the beach last year so we were thinkin the same this year but just didnt know where to hit

A
Legend
Legend
A
Just got back from a week in Virginian Beach. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, 3900 Atlantic avenue.

18 of us. Mom and dad - their 4 kids and spouses. (that's 2 plus 8 = 10), and 8 grand kids.

Beautiful place. The hotel was clean - kids under 11 (or 12, I forget) eat free at the hotel. Beach was awesome. They have 3 pools - 2 outside, 1 indoor. And, did I mention, it's right on the beach?

They have daycare for kids, if that's what you want. For us, the kids were with us the whole time - we didn't do that daycare thing. Spent most of the time on the beach. The grandkids are 23, 20, 16, 10, 10, 8, and twin 6 year olds. Great weather.

Fantastic place. There are many, many hotels right there - imagine that - I can't speak for any of them other than the one we stayed at. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance if you choose to leave to eat.

But, the hotel was clean. That's important. The beach was groomed every morning - I watched from the 5th floor balcony as they did it. Lifeguards......although, I will say, if pools and the beach aren't your cup of tea - well, I don't know what to tell you. We didn't venture out other than to eat. As far as other activities? I don't know what to tell you.

S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
Thats great arch glad you had a good time... were the prices down that way decent for summer peak season?

Another stupid question how busy was it down there?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Prices? It's vacation, right? (actually, it was for my parents 50th wedding anniversary, so they took care of the hotel. I believe it was around $250 a night - the "listed" price. )

Beach wasn't "crowded" by any stretch. People, yes, but not crowded. And it wasn't a party atmosphere - mostly families.

Legend
Legend
We got back from Kure Beach yesterday. It was really nice!

Kure beach doesn't have a ton, but if you go about 5 minutes up the road, you hit Carolina Beach which has a little boardwalk with rides, games, etc.

It was really a lot of fun. There's a nice aquarium there as well as a ferry that takes you to Southport. That has some nice shops, but the kids got a kick out of taking the car onto the ferry.

Fort Fisher is down there, too. It's not crazy exciting, but for a history guy like me, it was pretty neat.

And, I have to recommend Squiggley's ice cream. I'm not a big ice cream fan, but man, that was amazing!

We already re-booked the place we stayed for next year.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Good Kid Friendly Vacation Ideas

Link Copied to Clipboard