N
i've seen worse at Irish wakes

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Over 10 years, there have been 28 cases that were major but lacked a violation of bylaw 2.8.1.

Anyone want to wager a guess how many of those 28 programs received a postseason ban? Anyone? 

Answer: ZERO.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/miSearch

I brought facts, now let haters bring "opinons."

If we get hit worse than USC it is a joke.

I doubt they get hit worse than USC. I actually see OSU's punishment being the same as USC's, or very similar.

And no one knows what violations will be rendered in August. Nothing is known for sure yet.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Candy's point was a valid one. USC got hit with the dreaded 'lack of institutional control' violation. OSU did not have this come up and the NCAA basically outlined Tressel as a scapegoat (and so the Buckeyes/Tressel complied).

If the Buckeyes get hit with sanctions that mimic the USC ones, then the NCAA would have to also up the charges (which they can do from their investigation if they wish).

It'll be interesting nonetheless and I just hope whatever happens it happens in August so we don't have a guillotine hanging over our heads like UNC does (and apparently Auburn).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If something new comes up then OSU has to have an extension to prepare themselves.

I posted a link saying they won't be hit with LOIC.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
After listening to all this on the radio daily at work, watching this on TV, and reading about this on the internet, what does this boil down to?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't about 6 players trading or selling their pants, autograph, etc for tattoos about $12,000 worth, and Tressell lying to cover it up. The car thing was proven false.

The players are missing 5 games, 1 of them is gone now, and the coach resigned. And they forfeited all of 2010. So what am I missing that OSU will get hit so hard?

Legend
Legend
You are correct.

Let's clear this up. The tat 5 are already going to be punished

The meeting in August is about Tressel.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

You are correct.

Let's clear this up. The tat 5 are already going to be punished

The meeting in August is about Tressel.

It is not only about Tressel. It is about everything the NCAA investigated, like the players, the lying, the cars, the past (Antonio Pittman saying it had happened since he was there). All of that will come into play, not just Tressel.

Legend
Legend
Could you provide me a link or are you speculating?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

i've seen worse at Irish wakes

Wow, I just thought that was sort of funny and creepy.. I didn't mean to rip the bandaid off the whole topic.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Could you provide me a link or are you speculating?

It is a hearing over what was in the notice of allegations, which was all of those things, and it also leaves it open for anything else that may have been found. EDIT: I reviewed the NoA, and there was no mention of cars, but improper benefits, so I wa swrong about cars specifically.

Most of the Notice was about Tressel, but I really dount thye simply say "Oh, it was all Tressel, and he is gone now, so don't worry about it." Plus, with OSU giving Tressel the "easy" way out, I don't know how the NCAA will view that.

Last edited by Cle23; 07/14/11 01:16 PM.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I'm no OSU homer, I just like college football, but it seems to me this has been a witch hunt. Everyone knew about the players getting tats before the sugar bowl, hell the ncaa cleared them to play, I'm assuming the NCAA knew about the 5 game suspension before they ruled them eligible for the game.

All that leaves is Tressell lying, and he resigned.

If I had to bet, I would bet OSU does not get any bowl ban, tv ban, or any loss of scholarships.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I'm no OSU homer, I just like college football, but it seems to me this has been a witch hunt. Everyone knew about the players getting tats before the sugar bowl, hell the ncaa cleared them to play, I'm assuming the NCAA knew about the 5 game suspension before they ruled them eligible for the game.

All that leaves is Tressell lying, and he resigned.

If I had to bet, I would bet OSU does not get any bowl ban, tv ban, or any loss of scholarships.

Just saw on http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

Georgia Tech had a player in 2009 receive $312 in impermissable benefits, and they were required to forfeit their entire season. Their coach is gone from that time, and the player was as well.

So, going from that, OSU will get punished more than that simply because they committed more violations. They had more players involved, and their coach lied to the NCAA, plus anything that hasn't been released if there is anything.

I think OSU at least loses a few scholarships, and maybe a 1 year ban from bowls.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and they were required to forfeit their entire season.

The article I read said they had to vacate every game after November 24, which included their championship game..

In another case, a football player who accepted $312 worth of clothing from a sports agency employee was allowed to play in the final three games of the 2009 season, including the ACC championship game and a BCS bowl game, the NCAA said. The ACC victory gave Georgia Tech its first BCS bowl berth (the school was ordered to vacate all wins after Nov. 24, 2009, but of the three games affected, the only win was over Clemson).

web page

I guess it is another precedent by which to gauge how OSU will be punished.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

and they were required to forfeit their entire season.

The article I read said they had to vacate every game after November 24, which included their championship game..

In another case, a football player who accepted $312 worth of clothing from a sports agency employee was allowed to play in the final three games of the 2009 season, including the ACC championship game and a BCS bowl game, the NCAA said. The ACC victory gave Georgia Tech its first BCS bowl berth (the school was ordered to vacate all wins after Nov. 24, 2009, but of the three games affected, the only win was over Clemson).

web page

I guess it is another precedent by which to gauge how OSU will be punished.

You are right. I missed that or it wasn't there when I originally read it.

Good catch.

N
Legend
Legend
N
AJ Green made $1000 and had to sit out 4 games.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5547721

but, all those 2 cases of precedent mean is that the tattoo guys received a fair penalty. they have nothing to do with how the school will be punished for Tressel (which is still very fuzzy either way).

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
also, this portion is pretty big against GaTech. and, we have no way of knowing if the NCAA thinks similar about OSU or not until the hearing/report.

Quote:

The NCAA said the school failed to cooperate with its investigation, and said it was hindered by a school staff member who alerted a player -- whom the NCAA did not identify -- about potential eligibility concerns before his interview with investigators.

"It appeared to the committee that the institution attempted to manipulate the information surrounding potential violations involving (the player)," the report said, "so there would be enough doubt about its validity to justify the decision not to declare him ineligible."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...years-probation

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The car thing was proven false.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that only proven false by the internal investigation performed by Ohio State?

Not saying it wasn't false, but the internal investigations mean little to nothing to what the NCAA punishment is going to be...

Legend
Legend
I thought it was a state agency investigation that proved it false. However, I thought all it proved was that the cars were actually purchased and not given (or loaned)... it still didn't explain how the players were able to afford the cars... I'm sure somebody that follows it closer will be along to give us the facts.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I quit following it, so you might be right. I honestly don't know, I thought it was just an OSU investigation, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm kind of bored with it already lol.

It was fun for awhile, but now I'm over it. Hand out the sanctions and move on.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I thought it was a state agency investigation that proved it false. However, I thought all it proved was that the cars were actually purchased and not given (or loaned)... it still didn't explain how the players were able to afford the cars... I'm sure somebody that follows it closer will be along to give us the facts.

The car purchases were ok. And Pryor's last car proved to be ok, but they never mentioned the cars he had from dealerships for months before that and didn't buy. Not sure where that stands at this point.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

The car purchases were ok. And Pryor's last car proved to be ok, but they never mentioned the cars he had from dealerships for months before that and didn't buy. Not sure where that stands at this point.

the Ohio BMV did mention the cars from the dealerships. they said that it was perfectly legal and dealerships could loan those cars to whoever they wish for however long they wish.

now, there is an obvious line of distinction between what is legal and what is allowed by NCAA bylaws, but that part was never pressed (that we have seen yet)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ok, that makes sense.. so by state law, legally the dealerships can loan the cars but the NCAA still has to determine if that is a "benefit" to the players.. that makes sense.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Could get ugly if this is true.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/s...ip.html?sid=102

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel told investigators that he first notified the university's top compliance staff he had a "tip" about issues related to the team's tattoo scandal in December 2010, nearly a month earlier than the university claimed.

Multiple sources told 10 Investigates' Paul Aker that Tressel claimed he verbally disclosed the tip he received about his players' involvement with tattoo shop owner Ed Rife around Dec. 16 to compliance director Doug Archie, Julie Vannatta, Ohio State's senior assistant general counsel, and perhaps others.

10 Investigates asked Vannatta about the claim. She said that she is aware Tressel made such a statement, but that it is not true.

The university has always claimed that it did not learn about what Tressel knew until Jan. 13, after discovering e-mails on the topic during an "unrelated legal matter."

Based on interviews with multiple sources who had access to transcripts of Tressel's statement during a Feb. 8 NCAA investigation, Tressel claimed to have told athletic director Gene Smith, Vannatta and Archie of his tip, Aker reported.

The revelation came during an "informal" investigative meeting held by the school following a letter the university received from the U.S. Department of Justice on Dec. 9. The letter alerted the university that some players had traded their Big Ten championship rings, football jerseys and gold pants, a pendant that players receive from the University for beating Michigan for tattoos.

After receiving the letter, the university immediately conducted interviews with Tressel and then with players, Aker reported. Sources familiar with the case confirmed to 10 Investigates that a player told Vannatta that during one of the meetings, Tressel discussed related issues with him in the spring of 2010. Upon learning the information, Vannatta and others spoke to Tressel again on Dec. 16.

During the meeting, Tressel claims he described the tips as coming from an attorney who was once a walk-on player. Tressel has also said he described the tip as involving the players' "social choices off field."

Tressel was disciplined and ultimately resigned for his failure to disclose his tip upon learning it in April 2010, when he received e-mails from attorney Chris Cicero.

Sources close to the university investigation said that during a February investigative interview, nobody questioned Tressel about the nature of the tip or what "social choices" meant.

On Thursday, the university categorically denied that Tressel has ever told anybody related to the investigation that he disclosed the nature of his tip in December.

N
Legend
Legend
N
another much ado about nothing. he mentioned something vague like 'social choices'? the university isn't going to get hit on that one.

anyways, should be just a couple weeks till the NCAA puts this one to bed (hopefully). whatever the sanctions are going to be, let's just get them and start dealing with tehm.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

another much ado about nothing. he mentioned something vague like 'social choices'? the university isn't going to get hit on that one.

anyways, should be just a couple weeks till the NCAA puts this one to bed (hopefully). whatever the sanctions are going to be, let's just get them and start dealing with tehm.

If they didn't question it, or try to look into it? That is their job.

That, and they claimed they knew absolutely nothing until finding the emails in January.

N
Legend
Legend
N
it depends on how Tressel said it during those interviews. i mean, how many different things can 'social choices' mean? that is ridiculous and i doubt the NCAA cared too much about that one.

i mean there's a lot bigger fires for them to have gone digging through, afterall.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

it depends on how Tressel said it during those interviews. i mean, how many different things can 'social choices' mean? that is ridiculous and i doubt the NCAA cared too much about that one.

i mean there's a lot bigger fires for them to have gone digging through, afterall.

Right, I agree that it is a vague statement, but it is their job to look into anything, especially after they received a tip from the government as well. Tresell should have forthcoming with it, but when he makes a random statement like that, it is also OSU's job to question him on it.

Kind of pointless at this point, but we will see in August.

N
Legend
Legend
N
ok. so they just say they did look into it. and it took a month of sifting through information and emails, which is the reason they found it. i think they have enough 'outs' on this one.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/spo...ns.html?sid=101

USC: Lack of institutional control.
Georgia Tech: Failure to monitor....failure to cooperate with the NCAA
North Carolina: Failure to monitor
Tennesee: Failure to monitor

OSU: None of the above.

N
Legend
Legend
N
sports talk radio, twitter, and the like are going to explode when the Buckeyes get less severe penalties than those schools. but, if this report is true, then that is exactly what is going to happen.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe so, but Tressel is either covering his ass or telling the truth....Things can change as this comes out.

This isn't looking good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
and haters are either going to hate, or hate.

Legend
Legend
This sure seem to me like it's almost over ..... and there wasn't much to start with ..... and the school took appropriate actions.

I see very little happening as far as penalties.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

and haters are either going to hate, or hate.

You always say that, and that isn't the case.

It's about right and wrong.

I didn't write the story.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
this is just describing in more detail a conversation which we already knew about months ago and which the university mentioned in it's self-report to the NCAA months ago.  I chalk it up as typical example of Tressel answering a question without answering the question, which he is very good at.  Really by December it is pretty much a moot point.  If he had been more forthcoming then, or if he was interviewed more carefully then and forced to be more forthcoming, the university would have known his role and reported it a little bit sooner, but they would not have known the players were ineligible any sooner. 

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not so fast my friend...

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/11/ohio_state_self-imposes_loss_o.html

Eat it Phil...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NCAA will bump up the suspensions probably about the same as USC's number and I believe tOSU will get a 3 year bowl ban starting this year.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Not so fast my friend...

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/11/ohio_state_self-imposes_loss_o.html

I said it 4 months ago

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State Offers To Vacate 2010 Football Wins, Including Sugar Bowl Friday

Link Copied to Clipboard