Print Thread
#606820 07/25/11 01:19 PM
P
PStu24 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Sorry if I did something wrong. Not out to try and cause trouble.

In the same post that multiple people said "we should have one thread just for who the browns sign that way we don't have to go through the different pages of text and conversation to get caught up"

there was also listed the following by ref#3 ...

Quote:

This is generally what has happened in the past and seems to work best.

Starting a thread and telling people they can't discuss anything in it never works.

So ... you want to have people post in different threads. And despite the fact I included the instructions "please don't post comments in this thread" it was deleted?

I get your point and wasn't trying to tell people what to do ... but at the same time I'm not exactly sure why the threads were deleted.

Either someone else is just going to start another one (or multiple people will) unless you guys make a sticky to keep track of signings. OR you're going to have people having to scroll through a ton of pages of comments in order to get caught up.

Sorry if I'm wrong though - not trying to break rules or offend.
I just know if you don't give instructions to people on what to post and where to post it (like this site does right on the main page) ... they might post stuff in the wrong spots and clutter things up.

Thanks -

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
PStu24 #606821 07/25/11 01:27 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Yes, seriously.

People had already started making comments in your threads before I removed them. It never works to mandate that people don't comment. People will continue to update in the current thread, you may have to scroll through some posts to get there but, this is a message board, not a newspaper.

As I said in the post and the other poster told you, that is what has happened in the past and it has worked just fine.

PStu24 #606822 07/25/11 01:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Telling people not to chit chat makes them do exactly that.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Referee 3 #606823 07/25/11 01:35 PM
P
PStu24 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Fine with me. I was just trying to help.

I guess I was more confused that in the same post Referree agreed we should keep it seperate - he/she was also explicit in saying we can't tell people what not to say.

Honest question ... wouldn't it have been easier to continue monitoring those threads and just delete the comments that were off topic ... like the referees do in all of the threads anyway?

Not being a jerk. Just trying to help make it more efficient for the DTers who are going to log on after 10 hours and don't want to scroll through 6 pages of comments to see 3 signings.

I respect your decision.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
PStu24 #606824 07/25/11 01:46 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Fine with me. I was just trying to help.

We appreciate that, but after years of doing this we have seen what works best and what doesn't. It may sound logical when thinking about it, but it often doesn't work out that way on a message board.

Quote:

I guess I was more confused that in the same post Referree agreed we should keep it seperate - he/she was also explicit in saying we can't tell people what not to say.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Quote:

Honest question ... wouldn't it have been easier to continue monitoring those threads and just delete the comments that were off topic ... like the referees do in all of the threads anyway?

No. Any thread that requires constant monitoring is anything but easy.

Quote:

Not being a jerk. Just trying to help make it more efficient for the DTers who are going to log on after 10 hours and don't want to scroll through 6 pages of comments to see 3 signings.

Nobody is calling you a jerk or anything of the sort. As I said, there is normally a general thread for the Browns' signings and then as they are signed people start a thread regarding that player. A general thread for the league signings is also posted and that all seems to work just fine.

It's a chaotic time, enjoy the chaos!

Referee 3 #606825 07/27/11 03:57 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about using Pdawg's post on page 4 of the current signing thread to start a new thread and axing the existing one since the first 3 pages are garbage?

shepdawg #606826 07/31/11 12:29 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Why do we have just one thread for everything. I come in here to read and get some info and I can't find anything in that thread that matters. I have to weed through a bunch of pointless banter to find what I'm looking for. Seems like it would be much easier if we had a thread for each signing or trade.

ttimothygman #606827 07/31/11 12:45 AM
Legend
Legend
I agree with that. We used to start new threads for individual players signed or traded for by the Browns. Now we have one all-encompassing omnibus thread for everything that happens on the Browns. I prefer individual threads for individual players acquired. 5-8 total threads about individual players is not that space consuming.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I agree with that. We used to start new threads for individual players signed or traded for by the Browns. Now we have one all-encompassing omnibus thread for everything that happens on the Browns. I prefer individual threads for individual players acquired. 5-8 total threads about individual players is not that space consuming.

I agree. This way will keep the talk specialized on that particular player, rather than having twenty million conversations going on in the same thread. It's extremely hard to follow the way it is now, especially when you are viewing it on a phone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Totally and unequivocally accurate in all aspects.

shepdawg #606830 07/31/11 12:04 PM
Legend
Legend
We could do position threads and the info would be a bunch easier to find than what we have now.

7 threads is all it would need.

DB
LB
DL
OL
WR
RB
QB/Kick (had to put kick somewhere - on it's own it's a waste)

#GMSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Which is what I said above. It's the posters not starting individual threads. It has nothing to do with moderation, nothing has changed in that regard.

ttimothygman #606832 08/13/11 03:24 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

...a bunch of pointless banter...

There's your trouble.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum Seriously?

Link Copied to Clipboard