R
RocDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
R
Braylon Edwards could face jail time for violating probation

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 25, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT

Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards surprisingly pleaded guilty to a DWI on Friday, saying he wanted to put any negativity behind him with free agency on the way.

It’s possible, however, Edwards may have to put jail time behind him for violating his probation in Cleveland. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports Edwards is due in Cleveland court Wednesday.

Edwards received a conditional 180-day jail sentence in 2009. Edwards didn’t have to serve it if he completed his probation without incident.

“It’s possible Edwards may not have to serve jail time, instead being assigned a lesser penalty, such as a fine,” a court spokesperson told Vrentas.

So Edwards may have to serve jail time at the very worst time in his career. We’ll find out Wednesday if that’s the case, and the answer will interest plenty of teams out there.

web page

Last edited by Referee7; 07/25/11 07:09 PM.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
B
Legend
Legend
B
In the end, he could, but I doubt it will end that way, and I don't think it should....at least 180 days in the clink.

He is going to receive something, just as average Joe would receive something, but courts aren't generally interested in giving someone the "death penalty" of losing job and income to prove a point.

He should receive some days of service that can work in to a schedule that won't mean loss of income.

Face it....somebody has to pay the taxes since we already have plenty who don't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Surprise, Surprise, Suprise

This almost always happens to those who think that they are above the law.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think that.

I don't like the guy, but I don't think he thinks he is above the law.

He went out, had a few too many and got caught.

Bottom line.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Me either. He had an ulterior motive for doing so, but he did stand up and plead guilty. I hate to see anyone who takes responsibility punished more than someone who plays the legal system.

I do have to wonder what the Commissioner will do regarding his 2nd conviction though. He could see a suspension under the behavior clause ... if it still exists.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I don't think he thinks he's above the law. I think the problem with him is that he just DOESN'T think.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I also have more respect for someone that mans up and takes his medicine vs. someone that tries to bs their way out of it.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't think that.

I don't like the guy, but I don't think he thinks he is above the law.

He went out, had a few too many and got caught.

Bottom line.

Well the only reason why I said that is, because he has had trouble staying out of trouble. Imo you don't have to think you are above the law, but actions speak louder then words.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 07/25/11 08:10 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This isn't surprising as it's possibility was common knowledge in September of last year when he got cited.

What I want to know is why it takes 10 months to process a DUI case through the court system.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And I'd say there is a 99.9% chance he doesn't go to jail.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think he thinks he's above the law. I think the problem with him is that he just DOESN'T think.

This. Pro athletes with millions of dollars are probably a little more extreme than most guys.. but most of us into our mid 20s thought we had a bit of invincibility in us... I actually read a study a few years back that the part of a mans brain that processes risk isn't fully developed until about the age of 25.. I'm not making excuses for the guy but I got away with a lot of stupid stuff before I "grew up"... and that didn't happen until my late 20s...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

This. Pro athletes with millions of dollars are probably a little more extreme than most guys.. but most of us into our mid 20s thought we had a bit of invincibility in us... I actually read a study a few years back that the part of a mans brain that processes risk isn't fully developed until about the age of 25.. I'm not making excuses for the guy but I got away with a lot of stupid stuff before I "grew up"... and that didn't happen until my late 20s...

I'm not sure that I can buy that explanation. When my parents got a divorce I was forced to grow up at an early age to help my Mother with my younger siblings. (From age 7 to age 10) before she had a nervous breakdown and we had to go back to live with my father and step mother<(in name only)
I was the (little) man of the house (even though I have an older brother who was more concerned about himself).

It all depends on the person. My Son has also always been wise beyond his years.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Obviously individuals are different and the study didn't mean to prove that every man is a reckless idiot until they are 25... It simply found that the portion of a mans brain that processes cause and effect doesn't reach full maturity until much later than they thought.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Obviously individuals are different and the study didn't mean to prove that every man is a reckless idiot until they are 25... It simply found that the portion of a mans brain that processes cause and effect doesn't reach full maturity until much later than they thought.

We knew it, we just didn't wait for some study by shrinks to tells us so.

In the old days a judge would give a repeat offender of stupid crap a choice:

Join the military and the charges will be dropped, or go to jail.

I wonder how many of those guys made a life for themselves on such terms after finding some sanity at age 27 v the 19 year olds we kick to the curb today on a couple of drunk driving charges??

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Edwards gets off with a slap on the wrist .... with a DUI and violating probation ......

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/jets_braylon_edwards_spared_ja.html

Jets' Braylon Edwards spared jail time in Cleveland violation
Published: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 3:01 PM     Updated: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 4:00 PM

CLEVELAND - A judge spared New York Jets star Braylon Edwards jail time, extending his Ohio probation by one year on Wednesday for violating terms by driving drunk in New York City.

Cleveland Municipal Court Judge Michelle Denise Earley, who could have sentenced the 28-year-old free-agent wide receiver to up to six months in jail, cautioned him to avoid situations that could land him back in court.

"Do I get it? I do," Edwards said as family members watched from the public gallery.
Edwards, who formerly played for the Browns, didn't comment before leaving the courtroom through a side door but let off steam in a tweet: "Not the best of days so far ... but I'm trying to stay positive!"

Edwards was serving 18 months of probation after he pleaded no contest in January 2010 to a misdemeanor charge. He was accused of punching a friend of LeBron James outside a Cleveland night club.

It was during that probation that he was charged with driving while intoxicated in Manhattan.

Edwards pleaded guilty Friday in New York to a misdemeanor DWI charge in a deal that calls for no jail time or probation if certain conditions are met.

His attorney in Cleveland, Patrick D'Angelo, raised the issue in court of whether Edwards' probation had expired in early July and said later that might be a basis for an appeal. The judge said the violation was already pending during the probation period.

D'Angelo mentioned a litany of charitable activities involving Edwards and said people should say, "Thank you, brother, for a job well done."

But the judge expressed concern that Edwards had gotten into trouble during his probation and said there should be a penalty or probation wouldn't mean anything.

She said Edwards should deal with his high profile by walking away from situations that can escalate and understand that "everybody can't love you and you can't have a problem with that."

Edwards said the drunken driving arrest taught him to hire a driver if he would be out drinking. "I have a lot to lose," he said.

D'Angelo said Edwards could face a National Football League suspension but said he hadn't contacted the league.

The judge also ordered Edwards to do 100 hours of community service.

Unlike his earlier inactive probation without regular reporting, the judge imposed active probation but said Edwards could contact the probation office by phone instead of going in person.

NFL teams can start signing free agents Friday. They were allowed to start negotiating Tuesday, a day after players and owners cemented a contract that ended a 4½-month lockout.

Edwards had 53 catches for 904 yards and seven touchdowns this past season, and he made a clutch catch to set up the Jets' game-winning field goal over the Indianapolis Colts in the final minute of an AFC wild card playoff game. He has said he'd like to stay with the Jets.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Jalen Rose, with no other violation except a DUI gets 20 days in jail .......

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/07/jalen_rose_will_serve_jail_tim.html

Jalen Rose, of ESPN, will serve jail time for DUI

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. -- ESPN analyst and former NBA player Jalen Rose was sentenced to 20 days in jail Wednesday for a drunken-driving crash along a snowy suburban Detroit road.

Rose, a college star at the University of Michigan, actually was sentenced to 92 days in custody, but District Court Judge Kimberly Small suspended all but 20. He also was given a year of probation.

"You're not here because you drank. I have no problem with that; have at it," the judge said. "I do mind when you get behind the wheel of a two-ton vehicle and use it as a weapon against the rest of us."

Rose pleaded guilty in May. At that time, he said he veered off a West Bloomfield Township road in March after drinking six martinis. His blood-alcohol content was 0.12 percent, above Michigan's legal driving limit of 0.08. No one was injured.

"I have no one to blame but myself for endangering the community," Rose said in court Wednesday.

Rose's attorney, James Burdick, noted that the probation department did not recommend jail.

"The people have hired me, not my probation department," the judge replied.

Prominent people sent letters to the court supporting Rose, including Detroit mayor Dave Bing. Rose, a Detroit native, is opening a school in the city that will bear his name.

"Judge Small, for what it's worth, I fully believe Jalen was being truthful to me when he stated, 'I will never drink and drive again or ever be in any other court for any violation of the law,' " Bing wrote.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Some guys never learn (Braylon Edwards)

Link Copied to Clipboard