Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I should say, as official as it can be until thursday

Quote:

Cleveland Browns release Jake Delhomme
Published: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 2:09 PM Updated: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 2:37 PM
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

PD FileThe Browns released QB Jake Delhomme after one injury-plagued season.
BEREA -- The Browns have told quarterback Jake Delhomme he will be released, a league source confirms. The transaction is not official until Thursday, so the Browns may withhold confirming it.

Delhomme was scheduled to make $5.4 million in base salary in 2011 after getting about $7 million in an injury-plagued 2010.

Delhomme started at quarterback in Game 1 and suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half against Tampa Bay. He was rushed back in Game 5 after backup Seneca Wallace suffered the same injury.

During his injury, Delhomme transitioned as an active mentor to Colt McCoy. The two often drove to work together. But that role is less important in McCoy's second season. And Wallace, who was re-signed to a three-year contract, has more experience in the Mike Holmgren offense now being implemented.

Delhomme may wind up as a back in Denver or New Orleans.

© 2011 cleveland.com. All rights reserved

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
He served his purpose:

1) Taught Colt a few things
2) Proved that he chokes

Thanks.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm shocked

[Linked Image]

C
2nd String
2nd String
C
j/c
cant say that this is a surprise we have our starter and a very experienced (in this offense) backup.

now Holmgren can start doing what he loves: looking for late round gems at QB
Im surprised we only signed 1 UDFA QB

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Too bad he still wants to play, there might be room for him in the FO if he didn't. He was a good mentor for Colt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
I'm sure there will definitely be some interest, especially with all of the rookie QB's that could be starting, and the fact there were no OTA's and mini-camps other than the ones organized by the players

if he thinks he's gonna start somewhere, he's dreaming
although maybe AZ (they got lucky before but JD is not KW)

C
Legend
Legend
C
I can't believe I was the only one who thought this guy would suck. You guys were all blinded by Delhomme's leadership ability. Or you were concussed by an errant Jake Delhomme pass.

Legend
Legend
I wonder what would of happened had we ONLY traded for Seneca and just let him be the starter from the beginning...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
having a turnstile on the right side of the OL and an old, immobile, injury-prone, INT tossin QB is a recipe for disaster

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I can't believe I was the only one who thought this guy would suck. You guys were all blinded by Delhomme's leadership ability. Or you were concussed by an errant Jake Delhomme pass.

First of all, you weren't the only one, there were plenty of others (not me)

Second,, should we line up now to kiss your ring

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's only speculation on my part (with no off season and OTA's), but they could be pretty high on Jarrett Brown.

[Linked Image]

J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

I can't believe I was the only one who thought this guy would suck. You guys were all blinded by Delhomme's leadership ability.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the good you gave us, Jake. helped Colt. Not in jail. OK by my standards. Maybe to Cincy? Kinda hoped he would call it a done run and retire. Next.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
All Pro
All Pro

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I can't believe I was the only one who thought this guy would suck....

Yeah dude, you were the only one.

Anyway, good luck to Delhomme... at least he helped with Colt's development.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Making some cap space for Leonard Davis?

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

You were far from the only one, there were quite a few of us who were baffled by the signing, especially how much it was for. I'm pretty sure I cleaned iced tea off the wall by my computer after I nearly vomited it out of my system as it was half way down my throat when I read the news.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
C
Legend
Legend
C
It's possible I was joking.

Legend
Legend
Sorry it didn't work out but glad it's over... frees up some cap... glad that Colt was able to learn some from him but hopefully Seneca can take that position now since he's more verse in the west coast.

<><

#gmstrong
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Delhomme Signing thread

In my one comment in that thread I used an emoticon that very accurately protrayed my face in real life at the time, lol

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
I wasn't elated at the signing (per the old post) and in retrospect, I never got elated.

However, the guy did some good here. While he didn't play well, he helped mature Colt and I think that was quite valuable. He wasn't worth the money we were paying him but he was a team first guy, tried to gut it out hurt and helped by mentoring when he couldn't play.

All in all a really good guy and I kind of hate to see him go.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I was in BCT when all this went down, halfway through we got our cellphones one sunday, and I looked on the net to see we had traded Quinn and signed Dehlomme...

After I recovered all the pieces of my brain and skull... I convinced myself after looking at Dehlomme's stats, that every other year, he'd have a bad year, then a good year... (it's true) and seeing as he just come off his WORST EVER, I told myself he'd have his BEST EVER

Then add how "Not Awful" he looks in Preseason and my optimism shot through the roof...

Then Week 1 happened...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Then Week 1 happened...

Right, he got injured... shouldn't have played again until he was recovered, but that's not the way Mangini and Daboll thought it should be.. You are right, it's all on Delhomme...

Look I'm as disappointed as anybody how last year went for Jake. But he's not as bad as he looked last season. I'm convinced that in a back up role, he can be effective. Either as a mentor (he kinda proved that with Colt, or as a spot emergency starter)

I'll agree that his starting days are over.. but he's not a total loser either. Jake is a good guy whos at the end of his career.. That's pretty much all there is to it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yes, because during week one, when he was missing WRs by 5 feet...

That was clearly Mangini's fault...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'll admit that I was one of the people that thought bringing Delhomme short term was good for the ball club, and in some ways it was. While he was absolutely AWFUL as a player, he provided much needed guidance for McCoy, that I think helped Colt learn how to prepare for this opportunity.

I could be completely wrong, but Delhomme was always professional when it came to Colt and seemed to genuinely be interested in helping him learn.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, you are right,, first game of the year, new system... new team, new teammates, new coach, new OC..

You are right, not one of those things mean a damn thing.... It's all on Delhomme... he's the culprit, the receivers were Always in the right place, they never made a mistake.. It's all On Delhomme

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, you are right,, first game of the year, new system... new team, new teammates, new coach, new OC..

You are right, not one of those things mean a damn thing.... It's all on Delhomme... he's the culprit, the receivers were Always in the right place, they never made a mistake.. It's all On Delhomme

I'm not blaming EVERYTHING on Dehlomme...

But to say he didn't/doesn't suck isn't any truer...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not blaming EVERYTHING on Dehlomme...

But to say he didn't/doesn't suck isn't any truer...

Ok, I'll say it, Jake Delhomme doesn't suck.. but he's old and probably closer to done...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
"Closer to done" and "Suck" are the same thing...

Guess what, Brett Favre was "Closer to Done" last year to... and ya know what... Brett Favre "sucked" last season...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

"Closer to done" and "Suck" are the same thing...

Guess what, Brett Favre was "Closer to Done" last year to... and ya know what... Brett Favre "sucked" last season...

it's only the same thing in your mind.. Most of us think of a player that sucks as a guy that never had it to begin with.. jake did, but time plays a part in it..

jakes a good guy,, he doesn't suck... But his skills aren't what they once were..

I'm done talking about it.. I know I'm right and you think you are.. we aren't going to change each others mind.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm done talking about it.. I know I'm right and you think you are.. we aren't going to change each others mind.

Good wording

I'm not trying to change anyones mind, I'm just saying, maybe it was because he was hurt, Jake, playing time wise, sucked last year...

I'm thankful for what he did in mentoring Colt, so in the end maybe it was all worth it...

But he looks horrible in tye dye...

S
Legend
Legend
S

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

I wonder what would of happened had we ONLY traded for Seneca and just let him be the starter from the beginning...

Seneca was not the reason Jake choked.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Seneca was not the reason Jake choked.

I don't even understand what that sentance means...

I'm saying, if we had only trade for Seneca, not signed Jake, and had Seneca start from the beginning...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm really glad I can bring a smile to your face

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For starters we would have had a lot more money to sign another free agent.

Delhomme was sort of a shot in the dark.. we knew what we were hoping for.. 1 or 2 decent seasons to stabilize the position so we could get other positions taken care of... his performance wasn't very good but then he didn't have a lot of help... He was always professional and seemed like a real nice guy, I wish him the best.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Jake was the first BIG MISS by the BIG SHOW! I expect a playoff birth this year... or the second BIG MISS will be firing Gini.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/29/11 09:29 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I expect a playoff birth this year... or the second BIG MISS will be firing Gini.

What the hell?

You cannot be serious with that...

you had a good run Hank.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Official,, Jake Delhomme is released

Link Copied to Clipboard