Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#611233 08/03/11 10:07 AM
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
With Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Joshua Cribbs, and Rookie 2nd round draft pick Greg Little a pretty sure guess to make the 53 man roster.

I think there are some nice battles brewing for the final 1-2 spots.

Candidates in alphabetical order;

#85 L.J. Castile, 6-3 223, Delta State (UDFA)

#86 Johnathan Haggerty, 6-1 195, Southwestern Oklahoma State

#17 Chris Matthews, 6-5 218, Kentucky (UDFA)

#18 Carlton Mitchell, 6'3" 215 South Florida

#10 Jordan Norwood, 5-11 179, Penn State

#83 Juan Nunez, 6-1 183, Western Michigan (UDFA)

#88 Demetrius Williams, 6-2 202, Oregon

#13 Rod Windsor, 6-2 205, Western New Mexico

So Browns fans without mentioning some other ‘phantom’ player, who do you like to make the cuts and why? Opinions subject to change with coming events.

My top 3 preliminary favorites are Johnathan Haggerty and Jordan Norwood for the slot position and Carlton Mitchell, because of his ability to stretch the defense.
I am also very intrigued by UDFA’s L.J. Castile and Chris Matthews, because of his length and the possible match up problems he could present to a defense.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
got to wait and see how they do in preseason and camp!

Players I'm most intrigues by are Mitchell, Hardball, and Norwood. I've got tempered enthusiasm when it comes to camp receivers, though... we've gone through our share of hype with them.

BTW, I wouldn't be shocked if MoMass or Robiskie (I'd guess MoMass) gets cut if these young guys step up.

At least one from Nunez, Castile, or Hardball is on the PS is my guess.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I'm looking forward to seeing what Mitchell and Norwood can do in the preseason. Hopefully several of these guys can step up or it's going to be one long season.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Seems like eveything I've read coming out of camp with regard to Demetrious Williams has been positive. I think the Browns would cut Robiskie or Massaqoui without giving it a second thought if others step up.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Seems like eveything I've read coming out of camp with regard to Demetrious Williams has been positive. I think the Browns would cut Robiskie or Massaqoui without giving it a second thought if others step up.

The only way that (baring injury) we don't have one of them on our roster come September is if we trade one of them...Neither I think will be cut imo.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's well documented that I've never been a huge fan of both Robo and Massa since we overdrafted them...BUT....if they're healthy we pretty much HAVE TO give them this 3rd year due to the investment...1 of the rookie UDFA really would have to outplay them significantly, which is tough to do...even for top10 drafted WR prospects

I think the last WR spot will be between Norwood and Mitchell...that said my money is on Norwood to win the #5 job...simply because I think Mitchell will drop it away but also because I called him the best Penn St WR in that draft class but surprisingly the other 2 were drafted, both 3rd rounders...would be nice if he gets a chance too...D.Williams was a Lions 3rd round bust and Butler has been slightly better for the Seahawks than Robo for us, which obv isn't saying much

The other guys will fight for maybe 2 PS spots

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chris Matthews will make the team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

.BUT....if they're healthy we pretty much HAVE TO give them this 3rd year due to the investment..

I'd agree with you if they weren't drafted by Mangini. Also, MoMass has already been injured.

My prediction (obviously this is before any preseason games actually played)

Little
Robiskie
Norwood
Cribbs
Mitchell
Matthews

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The other guys will fight for maybe 2 PS spots

Assuming that they clear waivers.

This always kills me during this time.
Knowing you/we want to stash a player to develop

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Most of the reports out of camp seem very complimentary of both Norwood and D. Williams. I'm all for the guys who play best getting the work so if that means cutting MoMass so be it.

That being said, I'd bet that MoMass still makes the team and that maybe we carry 6 receivers this year .

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Most of the reports out of camp seem very complimentary of both Norwood and D. Williams. I'm all for the guys who play best getting the work so if that means cutting MoMass so be it.

That being said, I'd bet that MoMass still makes the team and that maybe we carry 6 receivers this year .

Personally I can't wait to see if all the hard work this off season MoMass has talked about pays off.

I can understand some folks being a little down on him, because he is injured at the moment and I think that is just human nature, but to talk of cutting him I think is premature at best.

Robo... Has I think one of the best sets of hands on the team and is probably our best receiver as far as rout running is concerned.
He simply needs to learn the nuances of the position to learn how to set up his defenders (it's not all about speed) and take his game to the next level. I think that he is going to prove to be a solid number two in our offense.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
dude, our offense has been a solid number two for years.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

dude, our offense has been a solid number two for years.

Okay

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
Mitchell, Norwood, and Williams

Mitchell should make the team on potential alone. Norwood could be our slot receiver. And Williams is having the best camp, although it's only been three days. This could change. I would also expect one or two of these guys to make the practice squad.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Williams Maybe a late bloomer?

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Didn't want to start a new thread but I think there are some other positions wher the roster battles are even more open than at WR

Just looked at the LBs in camp...a 3-4 usually keeps 6-8 LBs, 7 most of the time

Locks seem to be : Dqwell, Gocong, Fujita, Maiava and Benard (DE/OLB)

That leaves 2 spots open for: Addai, T.Brown, A.English, B.Jacobs, S.Octavien, B.Smith, Tarver and Wujciak

I really have no clue or opinion on those guys as I have never seen them play or scouted them...anyone? Maybe and probably we will sign another FA LB but still it's a real good opportunity for those youngsters...

Octavien is the only 1 with some experience as he played in the NFL the last 3 seasons (mostly as ST I guess) and could have a leg up, Jacobs was 1st team All-WAC, Wujciak 1st team All-ACC, Smith on the 2010 preseason Butkus award watchlist...I think right now those guys have the best shot "on paper"

DL will also be interesting....I think 8 DL will be on the roster, at least 7, max 9..we're VERY thin here and I think we HAVE to add another DE

at DT we have "locks" : Rubin, Taylor, Schaefering

at DE: Mitchell, Sheard...that's it

D.Robinson could be moved to DT now or be a swing man DT/SDE backup depending on situation, I think that's how he's viewed and he could be valuable in that role...think the DL-version of Yates...that's now 6 roster spots with 2 still open

1 would go to the winner of Sanford, Quaye, Ivey...the other is pretty much rook UDFA J.Fletcher's to lose as he's the only 1 left that projects to WDE, maybe A.English too but he's listed at LB so I guess he's used and viewed as DE/OLB hybrid like Benard

DB is easier: Ward, Adams, Young and Hagg at S with maybe Ventrone as ST add, at CB: Haden, S.Brown, Skrine...the 4th will be winner of Patterson/Robinson (Patterson 90% fav imho), 5th Francies or 1 of the UDFA rooks, esp. Dockery

the OL also has a spot up for grabs

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

That leaves 2 spots open for: Addai, T.Brown, A.English, B.Jacobs, S.Octavien, B.Smith, Tarver and Wujciak

Shurmur has said the English will love to DE as will Bernard.

Quote:

at DE: Mitchell, Sheard...that's it

So we would have Mitchell, Sheard, English, and Bernard. Not an inspiring group.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Chris Matthews will make the team.

+1

I'm willing to bet on that one too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Defense: Okay

English and Benard are both DE’s
As far as the defensive Line, I think there is realistically only one job up for grabs at DT.

LDE’s Mitchell and Sanford (who has been practicing there with the 1st team in Mitchell’s absence)
LDT Rubin
RDT Taylor ^or visa versa
RDE Sheard and Benard

Key DT sub Brian Schaefering.
My dark horse is DE Jabari Fletcher #72 although he may start off on the PS.
Hopefuls (DT's) are many;
#63 Kyle Anderson, #61 Andre Caroll, #94 Travis Ivey, #69 Scott Paxson, #74 Ko Quaye and #67 Derrick Robinson. Going by typical size alone Travis Ivey has the edge in that department .

LBer is wide open after Fujita , DQ. Jackson, Maiava and Gocong. T. Brown probably has a good chance to stick at the MIKE Lber position (although I could see Gocong filling in for DQ if he was injured). There will be some job openings here that may have to be filled by default by developmental players.

I think we have 3 Safeties with TJ Ward, Mike Adams and Usama Young with an open spot for another, possibly the rookie Hagg for lack of much competition there.

CB’s Haden, Brown, Skrine and Patterson and possibly another TBD.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/03/11 01:37 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chris Matthews got more attention from opposing defenses in the passing game than Randall Cobb.

Not taking anything away from Randall Cobb, because he was a do-it-all type player, but as a pure receiver, I'll take Matthews.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

CB’s Haden, Brown, Skrine and Patterson and possibly another TBD.

dont forget coye francies

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Why are you betting so much on Chris Mathews? just wondering.

For about 3 minutes I thought the players name was L.J. Castle, not L.J Castile, for some reason I liked the first version better,
I can't see camp, does anyone have any + or minuses on this player.

I'm not saying they should CUT Brian Robiskie, but it seems he has earned a spot on the bench, what did he have 2 catches in the first two games last season, or was it 3 catches? And this is the number (cough) 2 wide receiver.

If you Waterboarded me, with the ? What are the two best wr's on the Browns this minute, ( and tight ends are not allowed ) So Also If you said who do you have to account for at Wr if you are the defensive coord. against the Browns, the top two are , right now this minute.
1a, Greg Little
1b, Montario Hardesty, both of these guys scare me because they can get free in open space.
2, Mo Massaquoi, simply he was the leader in rec the last 2 seasons not with a tight end or running back in the title.

3, Demetrius Williams, If he is who I think he is he can be a problem if he gets playing time.
4 Brian Robiskie, I know he may have underperformed so far, but I know he has the ability
5 Josh Cribbs, I think he's a better runner, and even a better passer than a pass catcher but you know he has alot of TD's in his career.

Everybody else.

Legend
Legend
Robo seems to flip the switch towards the end of last season, he better continue it this year or he'll be out of the league in 3 years max...

MoMass can be a solid number 2 some day, I don't think anymore than that, though we need a #1 first...

Which I honestly think Little can be...

Add in Norwood as the short slot guy...

And we have a very young, WR core with dun dun duuun... potential...

(PS: Draft Justin Blackmon)

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I will wait a bit longer to be premature. Much of this can be decided by injuries, so waiting and watching. Yours are pretty good.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not saying they should CUT Brian Robiskie, but it seems he has earned a spot on the bench, what did he have 2 catches in the first two games last season, or was it 3 catches? And this is the number (cough) 2 wide receiver.

Look at any player, any one.. use only a low period in thier careers as a judging criteria and the first thought is, they aren't worth it.

Later in the season, and I won't even hazard a guess why, he seemed to turn it up a notch, Ending the season with 29 Receptions for 310 yards and 3 TD's.

Is that good enough for a number 2.. No, it's not. Is it 100% his doing, I don't think so.

This year with the new offense,, we'll know one way or the other..This is Robos year to either make it or break it. JMO

I think that anyone with eyes can see that he's got very very good hands. notice, he doesn't drop much. maybe, what the means is the problem is elsewhere. route running, the QB, I don't know. But there is more to it than meets the eye.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I will wait a bit longer to be premature. Much of this can be decided by injuries, so waiting and watching. Yours are pretty good.

I feel like we have a front office that knows what to look for at the WR position and some of our unknowns could surprise. At least this is my hope.

We have an offense that is more receiver friendly and hopefully we have the right coach's in place who can help these players reach their potential.

[Linked Image]

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Floyd is still available in FA. I thought he would make a great addition. I wonder what the story is on him- asking for too much money?? Over rated??

Legend
Legend
I wish I knew more about the MoMass foot injury..

but I think the WR's that make it will be:
MoMass
Robiskie
Little
Cribbs

Those fighting for the final 53:
Mitchell
Norwood
Haggerty
Matthews

I still think Norwood will be ps.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Although I like Robiskie better as a receiver, I think the WCO is actually kind of dooming him. He was pretty much stuck with a similar role beginning of last season when he really underperformed. They wanted him to be the possesion, over-the-middle slot guy and that's really not his game. It wasn't until they started singling him up one-on-one downfield that he was able to produce. It's a little counterintuitive since he's not that fast, but he has great ball skills and positioning ability, so that's why he was able to make the plays he did end of last year.

Asking him to get open in short areas and run for YAC is a move in the wrong direction IMO.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Floyd is still available in FA. I thought he would make a great addition. I wonder what the story is on him- asking for too much money?? Over rated??

My best guess would be, that we do not want to over pay for a WR and will take the wait a see approach until we know what we have in our new system with the players we have right now.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Although I like Robiskie better as a receiver, I think the WCO is actually kind of dooming him. He was pretty much stuck with a similar role beginning of last season when he really underperformed. They wanted him to be the possession, over-the-middle slot guy and that's really not his game. It wasn't until they started singling him up one-on-one downfield that he was able to produce. It's a little counterintuitive since he's not that fast, but he has great ball skills and positioning ability, so that's why he was able to make the plays he did end of last year.

Asking him to get open in short areas and run for YAC is a move in the wrong direction IMO.

I don't think YAC is or will be Robiskie's best asset and a possession receiver is not always your slot guy and I don't think the slot is the best way to use him.

In short I don't see him as a big play receiver, but that's not to say that he can't be a go to guy for Colt and be a player who can move the sticks for us.
I'm optimistic about his ability to improve in our new system.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
does anyone know if Robiskie is lining up as a Flanker or Split End in camp so far?

as CleveSteve has mentioned, Flanker in the WCO (Rice's role) of getting the shorter timing routes and relying on YAC is simply not his game. I think he can do allright as a SE since they are deeper routes (though not really deep routes) and he can use more of his strength and ball skills (the John Taylor role).

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I think Matthews is the kind of player who, because of his size maybe hard to get threw waivers to be placed on our PS and we could start off with 6 receivers this year.

Norwood sounds like he could be the slot guy we have been looking for, but Haggerty I think could make that a tough decision for the Coach's.

Mitchell has been praised by the Coaching staff and FO,but unless he shows some real improvement I can see guys like Matthews or L.J. Castile take his spot on the 53 man roster.

L.J. Castile is a big strong receiver with big strong hands and is said to be tough to bring down after the catch.
I'm anticipating seeing him show up in preseason.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

does anyone know if Robiskie is lining up as a Flanker or Split End in camp so far?

as CleveSteve has mentioned, Flanker in the WCO (Rice's role) of getting the shorter timing routes and relying on YAC is simply not his game. I think he can do allright as a SE since they are deeper routes (though not really deep routes) and he can use more of his strength and ball skills (the John Taylor role).

I see him as a John Taylor type possession receiver. Flanker is normally your #1 WR.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I see him as a John Taylor type possession receiver. Flanker is normally your #1 WR.

whoever has the most skill usually ends up as the #1 WR though regardless of position. TO was a SE for SF&Philly yet he was definitely their WR1.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think he can do allright as a SE since they are deeper routes (though not really deep routes) and he can use more of his strength and ball skills (the John Taylor role).

I can get on board with that.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
There is an exception to every rule and plays can be called to favor either or, but usually your SE is a possession guy, but he could also be a deep threat.
TO was a guy who could do both equally well.

With that said, I still don't want him on my team.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
oh god no. a mid 30s WR w/ an injured knee and shown to be a team cancer in the past. no thank you.

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
With Mohamed Massaquoi and Joshua Cribbs sidelined by injuries, Brian Robiskie has assumed a leadership role at wide receiver. “He’s just ‘Steady Eddy,’” Browns receivers coach Mike Wilson said. “He’s out there, he hasn’t missed a snap. He’s taken probably more snaps than anybody, and once again with him, I just need him to really excel in and be a very consistent — but at the same time be a big play-maker — for us in the system.

Wide receiver Jordan Norwood has emerged as one of the more impressive performers in the early part of training camp. Said Wilson, “Jordan is an excellent inside receiver. He’s got good quickness, he has a good aptitude for football. He understands routes, he knows how to get open, and I think he’s going to be a big surprise this year. I think he’s a consistent, solid guy, and just has a good foundation of understanding what we’re doing, and he’s picking up the system quite well. I don’t think he’s had many errors out there. He’s really been a pleasant surprise, and I’m excited about him.”

web page

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There is an exception to every rule and plays can be called to favor either or, but usually your SE is a possession guy, but he could also be a deep threat.
TO was a guy who could do both equally well.

With that said, I still don't want him on my team.

I'm glad you don't want him... Both Shumer and Heckert were in Philly when he went all nutty buddy on them. I doubt they will ever want to put up with that again...ever

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Roster Battles; WR

Link Copied to Clipboard