Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Last year I lost my position with the hotel I had been managing because of the downturn in the reservations due to the Oil Spill in the gulf. (Soooo many cancellations during that time it was very sad. Even though we didn't get hit with any of the oil.) Been doing some random jobs here and there, mostly pest control for a buddy of mine under the table. Been trying to work with BP (through the GCCF) about the income end of it. With the economy in the tank and the lack of disposable income, not as many folks have been going on vacations.

After a year of trying to find work in my field of choice, I decided to change my MO and look outside the field. Real Estate, mostly a lateral move, is where I have decided to put my efforts. Especially since the Real Estate market down here is somewhat isolated from the goings on in the national market. We got hit first, and we're recovering first. So it seems like it's a good move. At least for now.

Took my classes and after a few months dealing with the bureaucracy that is the State of Florida, I took and passed (on the first crack!) my State Boards last Friday. So I am officially a Licensed Real Estate agent now. Been looking at some of the Brokers down here and have interviewed with a few. Probably gonna hang my shingle with one in particular. Haven't accepted it yet officially though. It's the #2 agency in the county. I interviewed with the #1 this past Friday, and I wasn't very impressed with the gentleman I spoke with. He was kinda insulting and a bit ....what's the word...elitist?

Anyways, Just thought I'd pass this on. I'll still be doing the Vacation Rentals, just not for a Hotel anymore, though I still have all my contacts at all the local places and can still give info out or stop and have a beer with anyone who ventures down this way.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Legend
Legend
I know lots of folks in my little town up here that have been in real estate for years and years, and the common thread is they work long hours, they work hard and the put away a great deal of what they earn for days when things aren't so good.

real estate can be a very lucretive career. It's competitive as all get out but if you are good at it, you can make a hell of a living.

good luck to you my friend..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Best of luck in the new endeavor.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Good luck! Sales can be the most rewarding, satisfying, frustrating career on Earth. When I sold cars I literally had weeks where I couldn't make a sale for 4 or 5 days in a row, then would pull together 5 deals in a single day.

When I got into sales, the first thing I was told was it was the lowest paying easy job, and one of the highest paying hard jobs. It proved so true over my 12 years or so in the business.

Will you be a realtor or a real estate agent? In Florida, are you a buyer's or seller's agent? I know just enough about the field to be somewhat dangerous. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I will be a Realtor. Which means I will abide by the National Association of Realtors code of ethics. I won't be a broker. Not for a while anyways. In Florida, it is assumed you are a Transaction broker, unless stated specifically in writing. Basically, I work for the property.

I figure I've been selling Florida Keys real estate for 11 years.....just selling it one week at a time. lol.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Legend
Legend
Relatives in Sarasota, and we loved Florida. Can be a rough market. I wish you only the best of the very best in this new direction. Go ahead and get rich AND famous; it is the best revenge! Then buy the hotel and turn it into a Browns only Dawg Pound Two. Good luck!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Legend
Legend
F
Good luck Keys... I know things are starting to turn here in Fort Myers, we've been seeing steady increase in material sales for new and remodeling homes.

I best friend is a real estate broker here, and says things have been getting slowly better for him as well. Seeing a lot of interest, and taking offers, but we still have a lot of bank short sales and foreclosures in our market which is holding things back a little.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Good luck, Keys!

When I hit it big, I'll be coming to you for my southern home

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I am going to accept the offer from Exit Realty today. From all the numbers I've seen, the market here is doing better. Our average sales price is up again. Not where it was, but more 2003ish (~$500k) than the peak (~$700k), which is a good thing. With the interest rates staying low, I'm hoping that helps.

It will be nice to be back to work on a normal basis. This on and off again stuff was not fun I can tell ya that much. lol.

KeysDawg

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum New profession and other non-interesting things....

Link Copied to Clipboard