Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Last edited by moxdawg; 08/16/11 02:31 PM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
A coach got fired for writing that song. Where are his constitutional right to free speech. Diversity and tolerance indeed.

By the way, I liked the song.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 08/16/11 06:32 PM.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Some of the lyrics, despite awkward rhyme schemes, work on a protest level ... he does address valid discords between politics and society ... the stuff about "43" and setting things straight in November is rather mindless ...

Beyond that ... in a perfect world, this guy wouldn't be fired for this. But we don't live in a perfect world.

I have had several teaching positions. If I were to e-mail a politically charged song to parents of my students, I'd expect to be fired.

Now, if he had played this song around town or something and gotten canned, he'd have a very real concern with his First Amendment rights.

On a level, I think he is entitled as a free American to do so. As far as our Constitution has been ruled on time and time again historically, he gave up certain rights when he took his job, one of them being that he can't e-mail his students' parents with politically charged material.

Don't get me wrong -- I think this is wrong. But going by what we go by ... he should've been reprimanded, suspended or terminated.

He shot himself in the foot when he sent it to parents of his students.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
I didnt realize he emailed it to parents of students. That wasnt the wisest thing to do. I didnt know the whole story

Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I didnt realize he emailed it to parents of students. That wasnt the wisest thing to do. I didnt know the whole story

I never knew that either

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Where are his constitutional right to free speech.

how does the constitution apply to the private sector? same reason people get fired for blasting their current employer on facebook. um, right to free speech about the government, but when you are an employee, you follow the employee handbook. lol

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
http://toddstarnes.com/2010/08/football-coach-fired-for-anti-obama-song/

Quote:

A Tennessee middle school football coach said he got fired after he wrote a song that criticized President Obama.

Bryan Glover, an assistant coach at Grassland Middle School near Nashville, co-wrote the country music song, “When You’re Holding a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail.”

It was co-written by a parent who has a child on the team. Glover, 26, said he emailed a copy of the song to friends, family members and player’s parents through his personal email account.

And that’s when all the trouble started for the self-described independent conservative.

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial overtones,” Glover told FOX News Radio. “An hour and a half later I was told I was being terminated.”

“I was informed that I was being let go because of the song,” he said, denying claims there were any racial overtones in the song.

Williamson County School Superintendent Mike Looney disputed Glover’s account and said his dismissal had nothing to do with the song.

“Absolutely not,” he told FOX News Radio. “That’s a false claim.”

Looney said he was not allowed to go into specifics but acknowledged he spoke with the school’s principal and was satisfied with their handling of the matter.

“They presented me with logical, legally defensible reasons for doing so,” Looney said. “As far as I’m concerned they’ve handled the matter appropriately.”

Glover said he’s angry over what happened and believes he lost his job because his song was critical of President Obama. And he’s not the only one.

“It was a disgrace and we have to stand up for the guy,” said Michael Katsaitis, who has a son on the football team. He said he met with the principal of the school after Glover’s firing and is convinced his dismissal was a result of the song.”

“The first thing she told me was that Bryan’s song was derogatory to our president,” he said. “He shouldn’t have fired over that song.”

Glover said he is seeking legal counsel and may consider a lawsuit against the school.

“First and foremost I’m a conservative,” he said. “I do support what the tea party movement is all about but I’m more Republican than Democrat. I’m an independent conservative who thinks the government tries to have their hand in way too many things.”

“I’m pretty heated,” he said. “I’m just a blue-collar guy, trying to make a living, trying to chase a dream.”

The coach said that there were complaints that the song was politically incorrect and had racial overtones.

In this day and age, if you disagree with liberals, youre politically incorrect.

Definition of Politically correct - Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

Where does this song address issues of race, class, gender, or sexual orientation? Someone point it out to me. By the way, I don't need the government telling me what the correct view of sexual orientation is,

Where are the racial overtones in this song?!!!

I have no problem with the guy possibly getting fired for misusing email addresses he obtained as a coach to send unsolicited emails, but to accuse him of political incorrectness and racism is sick and twisted. This is another example of the intolerance, tyranny, and mind control.

As far as the superintendant saying that he was not fired for the song, it could be true, but I am skeptical. It is easy to fire someone that you don't want around for another reason, when you think the actual reason will be controversal or illegal. ( I dont think the firing would be illegal in this case, but it might be controversial.)

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 08/16/11 10:23 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I have no problem with the guy possibly getting fired for misusing email addresses he obtained as a coach to send unsolicited emails

Nor do I, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the case.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem with the guy possibly getting fired for misusing email addresses he obtained as a coach to send unsolicited emails

It probably is, but the fact that people said the song had racial overtones really seems to indicate how far many people have departed from logical, unbiased thinking.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 08/16/11 10:30 PM.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

In this day and age, if you disagree with liberals, youre politically incorrect.

That's a two way street.

It has little to do with liberals and conservatives ... simply put, everyone in our society wants their views to be the ones reflected, and they react negatively to what they perceive as an infringement on that, despite the fact that we'll willingly commit the same supposed injustice to views we don't share.

Those who constantly whine about liberals being P.C. are often the first to get riled up about what they perceive as political incorrectness (and vice versa).

It has nothing to do with any specific ideology.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It probably is, but the fact that people said the song had racial overtones really seems to indicate how far many people have departed from logical, unbiased thinking.

Disagreeing with Obama can be viewed as having racial overtones to some people.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Quote:

Quote:

That's a two way street.

It has little to do with liberals and conservatives ... simply put, everyone in our society wants their views to be the ones reflected, and they react negatively to what they perceive as an infringement on that, despite the fact that we'll willingly commit the same supposed injustice to views we don't share.

Those who constantly whine about liberals being P.C. are often the first to get riled up about what they perceive as political incorrectness (and vice versa).

It has nothing to do with any specific ideology.

Perhaps youre right, but do conservatives accuse people of bigotry when there clearly is nothing bigoted that is being said, as in this case? Can you give me an example of a conservative calling someone a bigot just because they did not share their political views? I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but I would be interested in some possible examples of this.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Where are his constitutional right to free speech.

how does the constitution apply to the private sector? same reason people get fired for blasting their current employer on facebook. um, right to free speech about the government, but when you are an employee, you follow the employee handbook. lol

He was fired by the public school system, that is not a private sector job.

It doesn't say if he was a teacher and it doesn't say if he has another job.. surely he isn't a full time middle school football coach.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
still the free speech thing doesnt matter. do you think a teacher would keep their job if they came in to the classroom singing Horst-Wessel-Lied?

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Quote:

do you think a teacher would keep their job if they came in to the classroom singing Horst-Wessel-Lied?

This kind of statement is exactly what I'm talking about. How on earth is this song related to the anthem of the Nazi party. This is a huge leap-almost intersteller. Of course if a teacher or coach promotes racism they should be fired, but there is nothing said in this song that can be said to be racist.

Quote:

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial overtones,”

Are people assuming he's racist because he disagrees with Obama? Just like if I disagree with the gay agenda, it makes me a "homophobe", or if I am pro-life I am a sexist, etc.. It's becoming increasingly dangerous to disagree with the party line in this country.

Like I said, I don't care if he got fired for misappropriating email addresses he was given as a coach, but if he got fired for being politically incorrect, that is tyranny. I guess it's a moot point as to his firing, but I just think some of the statements surrounding this story are ridiculous.

Someone point out one racist thing in this song, and I will admit that I'm wrong. Otherwise, I am not going to beat a dead horse any further.

Last edited by LA Brown fan; 08/17/11 10:49 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't see anything racist in the song. Hmm. What was in the email that might have been misconstrued?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Probably nothing. The principle probably just injected his own opinion in the situation based on 1 email that probably just was forwarded to him by a parent as an FYI.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Perhaps youre right, but do conservatives accuse people of bigotry when there clearly is nothing bigoted that is being said, as in this case? Can you give me an example of a conservative calling someone a bigot just because they did not share their political views? I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but I would be interested in some possible examples of this.

For one, I can't count how many times I've been called 'anti-American' on this board for my dislike of our military policy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The principle probably just injected his own opinion in the situation

The principal isn't a him.. the principal is Dr. Lily Leffler.

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

For one, I can't count how many times I've been called 'anti-American' on this board for my dislike of our military policy.

Well, whenever you get the number counted, add 1 more just for good measure.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, whenever you get the number counted, add 1 more just for good measure.

Bigot.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Sorry to hear that and point taken

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Look at her, she looks like an Obama supporter, no wonder she fired the guy.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Look at her, she looks like an Obama supporter, no wonder she fired the guy.

Hippie Commie Liberal Douche

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
This is making the rounds again?

Folks do realize, this took place in August, 2010?

The guy was an assistant football coach at Grassland Middle School near Nashville, Tenn...he was not a teacher. He likely signed a contract that included a code of conduct or code of ethics.

He and a parent of one of the football players wrote this song...nothing wrong with that.

Glover, said he emailed a copy of the song to friends and family members ...nothing wrong with that.

He emailed a copy of the song to his player’s "parents"...NOW HE MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM.

At that point, Bryan Glover, the 26 yr Tea Partier mixed his personal politics with his job as an assistant football coach, which was to coach football players.

The article states, that parents called the head coach, who then called his young assistant football coach....

...the head coach said "his phone was blown up with parents saying that I was being politically incorrect -- quote, unquote -- if you will, and that some of them were even reading into racial overtones in the song,"

......though Glover never states just how many of his player's parents were sent his Tea Party propaganda, it's safe to say, Glover did not consider the political views of the "all" the parents. That was a huge mistake on Glover's part and he has no one to blame but himself.

......sending the song to the parents more than likely violated the terms of his contract...or violated the code of conduct within the contract Glover signed, when he was hired as an assistant coach.

......keep in mind, the stuff about being politically incorrect and having racial overtones...that is how some of the parents took the lyrics of the song. Nowhere is it stated that Glover was fired because the song was interpreted by some as being political or racial.

All this crap about being fired because of his anti Obama song...that is just the teapartiers trying to make hay out of the pile of manure Glover created for himself.

Glover's undoing was mixing his TeaParty politics with his job as an assistant football coach...end of story.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Folks do realize, this took place in August, 2010?

Says the guy who still blames the President who left office in January 2009 ...........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
YT...who signed TARP into law?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
TARP was signed by Bush ... over my (not that it mattered) rabid objections.

That being said ...... most of TARP allocations (except for the ones made by the Obama administration) have been repaid.

What does that have to do with anything anywaay?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Florida teacher reassigned for Facebook comments on gay marriage
From Melanie Whitley, CNN
August 18, 2011 3:04 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A former "teacher of the year" in Lake County, Florida, has been reassigned while school administrators investigate comments posted on his Facebook page about same-sex marriage.

Lake County Schools Communications Officer Chris Patton said school officials received a complaint Tuesday about the content on Mount Dora High School teacher Jerry Buell's personal Facebook page, as well as copies of the posts.

Buell's page has since been taken down, but CNN affiliate Central Florida News 13 reported that a status post on it said, "I'm watching the news, eating dinner, when the story about the New York okaying same sex unions came on and I almost threw up."

Patton would not confirm the content of the post, but he said Lake County officials are taking the matter very seriously.

"We began to review the code of ethics violations immediately and yesterday afternoon temporarily reassigned the teacher pending the outcome of the investigation," Patton told CNN Thursday.

In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Buell said the comment was not made "out of hatred."

"It was about the way I interpret things," the Sentinel quoted him as saying.

The newspaper said that in the same July 25 post, Buell said same-sex marriages were part of a "cesspool" and were a "sin."

Buell did not immediately return repeated CNN calls for comment.

Classes begin in Lake County Monday, but teachers are already back at school for pre-planning.

Buell, a teacher for more than 26 years, served as the Social Studies Department chair at Mount Dora and taught American history and government, according to the high school's website.

While his private Facebook page is no accessible, a support page has been launched for the educator.

"His personal faith and beliefs posted on his facebook should have no bearing on his job. I applaud him for his personal beliefs!!" said one post on the page.

"Are we in the USA no longer allowed freedom of speech, thought, and freedom of religion?" commented another supporter on the page.

web page

It is just my opinion that we are starting to tread on very thin ice with regards to how we treat this kind of stuff.. Here is a guy who posted something on Facebook, and being friends with him on Facebook is totally voluntary, he didn't e-mail it to anybody specifically. He didn't bad mouth his school, the district, another teacher, or any students. He is a history teacher who simply stated his opinion on one of the hotter political issues of our time, and for that, he could be fired by the state... What if he had been at a rally and been interviewed and had it shown on the news? By this standard, he could face the same punishment..... Yep, we are treading on thin ice.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
That's definitely true.

You watch though ... as soon as someone on the "other side" gets fired for something like that ...... all hell will break loose. (along with the lawsuits)

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Coach fired for country song he wrote and sang.

Link Copied to Clipboard