Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
R
Continue discussion here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns quarterbacks feeling the dog days of camp, too
Published: Monday, August 22, 2011, 12:23 PM Updated: Monday, August 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

BEREA -- Observations from Browns practice Monday morning ...

* Even though the weather has been cool, these final days of camp truly are the dog days. Coach Pat Shurmur alluded to tired legs and players not doing much talking out there, just trying to get practice over with. The same may apply to the quarterbacks. Looked like some dead arms out there today. Colt McCoy was a little late on a long sideline out -- the one pass that challenges his arm strength. Then receiver Rod Windsor had to wait for a long ball down the sideline. Windsor caught it over Ramzee Robinson. In the same period, McCoy flung a wobbler to the far sideline to Jordan Norwood. Seneca Wallace had some bad throws, too. Sheldon Brown intercepted him twice, once on a deep ball down the left sideline and another time jumping in front of Johnathan Haggerty in the middle of the field.

* Speaking of QBs, it's not set in stone that the Browns will keep three quarterbacks on the active roster. If they stock up on receivers and keep four tight ends, the third quarterback may pay the price. Contributing to the decision might be Jarrett Brown's 1-for-6 performance with one INT in sporadic preseason play. This is not to say the Browns have soured on Brown as a developmental prospect. In fact, Shurmur said he feels good about "some of the progress" Brown has shown and believes he has a lot of ability. But everyone knows Brown needs a lot of growth before he can perform at an acceptable level in an NFL game. Could be practice squad-bound.

* Ten Browns were out: Mohamed Massaquoi, Chris Gocong, Josh Cribbs, Steve Octavien, Evan Moore, Usama Young, T.J. Ward, Buster Skrine, Eric Steinbach and Brandon Jackson. Also, safety Brett Johnson limped off with a thigh bruise.

* Rookie Jason Pinkston has gotten a lot more reps with the No. 1 unit in Steinbach's left guard spot. He probably will make his first start Thursday in Philadelphia. John Greco got the call against Detroit, probably because he's an experienced swingman and Pinkston wasn't ready. It was interesting to see Branndon Braxton also getting work at right guard with the No. 2 unit. Braxton looks to be a keeper as a tackle who can play both sides. Expanding his experience to guard would improve the chances of him being on the 46-player active list for game days.

* Middle linebacker D'Qwell Jackson is flourishing in the new 4-3 defense, impressing teammates and coaches. But he's understandably reserved about declaring himself back after two successive pectoral muscle injuries.

* Good to see former right tackle Ryan Tucker visiting camp with his family. Tucker said he's taking classes at Baldwin-Wallace College and has no pangs about not playing. He dabbled in coaching in the United Football League and got that taste out of his mouth. Tucker retired prior to the 2009 season.

* By the way, Shurmur lauded the play of right guard Shawn Lauvao against Ndamukong Suh Friday in the Detroit game.

* I have no inside information but I would assume the Browns would have more interest in North Carolina defensive end Michael McAdoo than Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor. We'll know by the end of the day.

* About 200 kids from Cleveland youth organizations were on hand as part of the club's Play 60 program, which promotes health in youth groups. A lot of Browns players converged after practice to sign autographs and mingle. Receiver Brian Robiskie went a step further, gathering some of the kids on the field for some impromptu touch football instruction.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

* Ten Browns were out: Mohamed Massaquoi, Chris Gocong, Josh Cribbs, Steve Octavien, Evan Moore, Usama Young, T.J. Ward, Buster Skrine, Eric Steinbach and Brandon Jackson. Also, safety Brett Johnson limped off with a thigh bruise.

Gocong and Usama are still not ready to go in practice...That's not good news, because we have yet to see either and they are both projected as starters.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have run my mouth about the Lber's being the weakest link on the Team .. Might have top change my tune and go with QB .. If McCoy goes down we are Toast .. .. LB spot is still weak ans slow ..

T
Legend
Legend
T
A coach and a quarterback, a coach and a quarterback, Everyone else looks better or worse depending on a coach and a quarterback.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not much we can do about the linebackers now, might be able to find a couple after cuts but fortunately next years linebacker class is lights out. It is deep and talented, I think we could see 15 going int he first 2 rounds.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yeah, I've been wanting to bring up next year's LB class. Is it too early for a draft prospect thread?

Can't remember the names but there's a guy from Boston College and a monster from Arizona State that look to be awesome in the pros. And that's just 2 of them . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and a monster from Arizona State

That's not a monster, it was old man Jenkins all along!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Not much we can do about the linebackers now, might be able to find a couple after cuts but fortunately next years linebacker class is lights out. It is deep and talented, I think we could see 15 going int he first 2 rounds.

Yeah...I'd bank it that one of our first rounders is a LB 4 sure...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
UNC Zach Brown at Wil and FSU Brandon Jenkins at SAM would be pretty sweet.

Another guy that everyone is saying "keep an eye on this kid", is Oklahoma backer Travis Lewis . Will have to ask attack about him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If we are to truly building threw the Draft, then I think that's a pretty safe bet.
We haven't got there yet. There's not enough Drafts or Draft picks to go around.

Last year we found 1/2 of our secondary and this past April 1/2 of our DL.
I would be happy if we got 1/3 of our LBers next April and another member to join our secondary.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'd drop BOTH 1st round picks on LBers and not bat an eye doing it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

and a monster from Arizona State

That's not a monster, it was old man Jenkins all along!

...and he'd have gotten away with it too... if it wasn't for those meddling kids and that pesky dawg....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

UNC Zach Brown at Wil and FSU Brandon Jenkins at SAM would be pretty sweet.

Another guy that everyone is saying "keep an eye on this kid", is Oklahoma backer Travis Lewis . Will have to ask attack about him.

Travis Lewis is one of my favorite LBers, but unfortunately for him he broke a toe in practice and won't be available until October and that might hurt his Draft stock, but all the better if we can get a player of his caliber in the 2nd or 3rd round, witch is where he was projected to be Drafted had he chosen to come out this year.

I see him as a WIL prospect. He is a good all around LBer that seems to have a nose for the ball.

Draft Scout Snapshot: 2010: Starting weak side linebacker in all 14 games…All Big 12 second team by AP and Coaches…team’s leading tackler with 109 stops (including 5.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks) … third on the team with 3 interceptions, also broke up another 5 passes … produced three takeaways in the Big 12 Championship game vs., Nebraska with one interception and two fumble recoveries. 2009; started all 13 games [at the weak side linebacker position] All Big 12 first team by the Coach’s and second team by AP…teams leading tackler for the second consecutive year with 109 …led all linebackers with 9.5 tackles for loss … credited with one sack, interception, two pass breakups and a forced fumble during the year. 2008: Started all 14 games …First team All Big 12 Defensive newcomer of the year by the AP … second team all Big 12 defensive freshman of the year by the Coach’s … broke Brian Bosworth’s freshman season tackle record with 144 stops … second on the team with four interceptions and lead the team with 108 interception return yards… also second on the team with 11.5 tackles for loss. 2007 Redshirted.

- At 6’2” 233 lbs and once ran a 4.34 40: he has 8 INT’s in three years and although Lewis was not asked to pass rush much he has racked up the tackles for loss.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/22/11 05:28 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While your hanging around the board : What is your take on Taylor ? .. He has under whelmed me so far ..Not bad and at the same time not an impact player ????

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For the most part, Taylor seems to be doing what he has been asked to do, which is play the run, eat up space and take on blockers. I really havent seen him be asked to provide a rush to often. It would be one thing if he is trying to get upfield and is getting stood up but that hasn't necessarily been the case.

This will be the game we find out a great deal about Taylor and this defense. More actual game planning more blitzing and I got a feeling those blitzes will be coming behind Taylor. The Eagles will want their OL tested and the Browns are trying to develop a young inexperienced DL.

Now with all that said, he may be a 2 down player at least for now anyway. This kid is a worker and we have great teachers on staff. I think by week 6, we will see a vastly different Mr. Taylor.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update on the kid. Honestly, there is one guy with the major buzz and that is Luck this year. Last year it was Locker. There is also that guy that most hasnt heard of but everyone is whispering about him. Last year it was Aldon Smith with the whispers, this year it is Lewis.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If we are to truly building threw the Draft, then I think that's a pretty safe bet.
We haven't got there yet. There's not enough Drafts or Draft picks to go around.

Last year we found 1/2 of our secondary and this past April 1/2 of our DL.
I would be happy if we got 1/3 of our LBers next April and another member to join our secondary.

I think we will take two linebackers next year. And as for the missing member of our secondary, I hear some kid named Minnifield is coming out next year might be worth a look....

As good as Mack is at center, I'm still livid that Mangini picked him over Clay Matthews v2.0

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thanks for the update on the kid. Honestly, there is one guy with the major buzz and that is Luck this year. Last year it was Locker. There is also that guy that most hasnt heard of but everyone is whispering about him. Last year it was Aldon Smith with the whispers, this year it is Lewis.

34 teams will probably not give Lewis much consideration, but he has an uncanny knack for being around the ball, hence the 8 interceptions.

He's real ball'er.

PS. I talk Draft talk 365 days a year ::shrug::

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson is healthy and happy in the 4-3 defense
Published: Monday, August 22, 2011, 5:56 PM Updated: Monday, August 22, 2011, 5:57 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford pitched the ball to tailback Aaron Brown.

Splat!

D'Qwell Jackson met Brown with a form tackle to the ground for a 1-yard loss. This is the way the Browns' new run defense is supposed to work, Jackson running free to the ballcarrier with no lineman in his grill.

For a middle linebacker, it is a mundane play, one expected of him to make dozens of times in a season. For Jackson, it is a beautiful play, one he was never guaranteed to make ever again.

To be able to meet a back with all of his force, wrap him and throw him down, is proof that Jackson's chest muscle injuries are behind him. He tore one on Oct. 18, 2009. Coming back from that surgery, he tore the other on Aug. 10, 2010. The chest muscles to a linebacker are what the arm is to a quarterback.

"That was the main concern coming in [to this year's camp]," Jackson said. "When you go through a game and deal with guys trying to block you, being overextended. There's no way to simulate those arm movements without playing a game."

Jackson has three quarters of work in the first two exhibition games and has made eight solo tackles, tied for first on the defense.

"I'm definitely pleased," he said. "Now I don't think about it. The first couple days, you get the jitters. The last test was actually going into a game and tackling. My body feels good. Right now I'm in control of it. I don't have anything nagging. In the course of a season, you're going to get some bumps and bruises. I'm looking forward to it."
Related stories

The bumps and bruises of normal work, the camaraderie in the locker room, the game-planning for the next stern challenge ... these are the things Jackson missed terribly for almost 22 months.

"To feel like I'm part of a team and go through the trials and tribulations of my guys ... it's been a long time," Jackson said.

Now here's the best part about Jackson's remarkable comeback story. He's not only playing again, he's flourishing in a new defensive system that everyone involved says is perfect for him.

"(The Browns' new 4-3 defense) allows you to play with your safety (T.J. Ward, left, helping Jackson tackle Green Bay's James Starks earlier this month) more," says D'Qwell Jackson. "Using that to our advantage where we can play a lot of eight-man fronts, a lot of man coverage, and still count that safety in our run fits, is big for us linebackers. It allows us to flow faster."

Linebacker Scott Fujita predicted during the owners lockout that Jackson would revel in the 4-3 system installed by coordinator Dick Jauron. Last week, Fujita named Jackson the team's MVP on defense at the mid-point of training camp. In three seasons before his injuries, Jackson was first or second in tackles on the club in the Browns' old 3-4 defensive alignment. But Fujita, and others, envisioned Jackson being not just a tackler but a force in the 4-3.

"No doubt about it, he's everything that I thought," Fujita said Monday. "Not to say that he was trapped in that system, but it wasn't best suited for his skill set. So this system will be great for him.

"Just watching the plays he can make. He's got such a body type and a wiggle to him, where to avoid blocks and skip around blocks and skate over the top and make plays in the open field. And he's one of the better open-field tacklers I've seen, so this system is just perfect for him."

The 4-3 alignment, featuring behemoth tackle Phil Taylor and non-stop accomplice Ahtyba Rubin battling the offensive guards and center, enables Jackson to roam free without having to grapple a 300-pound blocker.

"You can notice [the difference] from not having that big guard staring at you before every play," Jackson said. "And it allows you to play with your safety [T.J. Ward] more.

"Using that to our advantage where we can play a lot of eight-man fronts, a lot of man coverage, and still count that safety in our run fits, is big for us linebackers. It allows us to flow faster."

Jackson doesn't want to be simply known as a tackling machine, however.

"The way my mind works, any linebacker in the league, you wouldn't have a job if you couldn't tackle," he said. "I have to improve my game in sacks, tackles for loss, PBUs [passes broken up]. I can't just be a one-dimensional player. I have to be able to do it all. This defense allows you to show your personality and show what you're capable of doing."

Even in Jackson's healthy years, the Browns' defense ranked lowly -- 27th overall, 30th and 26th. He believes that will change as the new offense kicks in, too.

"We have to come out and be able to dictate a game, be able to open up our pressures, open up our playbook, and we can only do that if we're ahead [on the scoreboard]," he said. "The offense has to be able to move the ball, keep us off the field a bit. But when we're up, we have to take care of business."

Jackson is understandably hesitant to look ahead. He knows more than anyone on the team that tomorrow is not guaranteed. He's been let down before.

Now he feels blessed just to be tackling and hitting and sweating on the field with teammates again. If that keeps up, everything will take care of itself.

"He deserves a season like this," Fujita said. web page

Legend
Legend
nice read, mour thanks for the share.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

BEREA, Ohio -- Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford pitched the ball to tailback Aaron Brown.

Splat!

D'Qwell Jackson met Brown with a form tackle to the ground for a 1-yard loss.

LOL,, A little grahic, but cool. SPLAT.. I like it

Thanks for the read Mour

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Unfortunately, and if I recall the sequence correctly, just a few plays after that play, Jackson was pursuing to the defensive left and "Splat", the Right Guard knocked him straight backwards, off his feet, and buried him ass first into the ground.

I suppose the good thing is that we will get to see what kind of impact Jackson can have this year, and without a long term contract hanging over the team's head. I have my doubts ...... but am willing to be convinced.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Unfortunately, and if I recall the sequence correctly, just a few plays after that play, Jackson was pursuing to the defensive left and "Splat", the Right Guard knocked him straight backwards, off his feet, and buried him ass first into the ground.

Is it truly unfortunate, or is it just part of the game? I'm thinking that Ray Lewis has been knocked on his kester a number of times during his long career. So I think it's just you being picky

Just having fun with you Ytown.. what I'm saying is, there aren't any perfect players.., they all win and lose a few battles.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Absolutely.

And not even Ray Lewis makes multiple plays in the backfield each and every game - even in his prime; and our linemen (and fullbacks) have planted him MANY times.

Seeing DQ make that play was really, really nice. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come and hopefully we also start seeing the majority of tackles being made 2-3 yards downfield instead of 3-5 yards past the LOS.

With as stout as we've been in the middle so far, and most plays going to the outside, he's going to have the ability and room to roam quite a bit, so this should be a really, really good defense for him to be in.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns wind up open portion of training camp on a high note
Published: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 12:47 PM

BEREA -- Observations from the final Browns practice open to fans ...

* Big day, of course, for Joe Thomas, who inked a seven-year contract for $84 million, including about $44 million guaranteed. He was all smiles and appreciative and expressed the belief that things are definitely heading upwards for the Browns. Best line I heard about Thomas came from right tackle Tony Pashos. "He'll probably take us out to Friendly's. He's so frugal, you can double (the contract number). He's never going to spend any of it. It'll just keep growing. He's smart."

* Tight end Evan Moore, back from a mild concussion, won two coverage tussles with safety Mike Adams. On the first, Moore and Adams came down with a simultaneous catch in the end zone. On the ground, neither player could pry the ball away, so teammates tried to help by pulling the legs of Moore and Adams. Ultimately, Moore was awarded the TD by coaches. The second time, Moore posted up Adams in the front corner of the end zone. Colt McCoy threw it up for Moore, and Adams timed his leap right to get a hand on the ball. But Moore caught the deflection. It was more proof of the mismatch problems Moore causes in the end zone.

* Running back Peyton Hillis was one of 10 players not practicing. Afterwards, coach Pat Shurmur said Hillis complained of lower back stiffness. The coach said he expected Hillis to play Thursday night in Philadelphia.

* Running back Montario Hardesty is amped for his first game action since Sept. 2 of last year. Shurmur said Hardesty will play in the first half with the first team.

* Other players not practicing were: WR Mohamed Massaquoi, SS T.J. Ward, WR Carlton Mitchell, FS Usama Young, RB Brandon Jackson, LB Steve Octavien, LB Chris Gocong, LG Eric Steinbach and WR Josh Cribbs.

* Look for rookie Jason Pinkston to get his first start in place of Steinbach. He's been with the first team all week.

* Cornerback Sheldon Brown made a really good interception in the end zone, leaping and grabbing a ball thrown to Brian Robiskie. That's three INTs in the last two days for Brown, who should enjoy returning to Philadelphia for the first time since being traded to the Browns.

* On a drill with the offense backed up to its own end zone, cornerback Coye Francies jumped in front of Jordan Norwood, intercepted the pass from Seneca Wallace and pranced to the end zone for a pick six. The defense gave Francies a loud cheer.

* This was the last training camp practice open to fans, signalling the unofficial end of training camp. (Of course, practice and the preseason continues.) So Mary Kay Cabot and I dispense our annual training camp awards.

-- Offensive MVP: Grossi says Moore, Cabot says Colt McCoy.

-- Defensive MVP: Grossi and Cabot both say linebcker D'Qwell Jackson.

-- Surprise of camp: Grossi says undrafted rookie cornerback James Dockery. Cabot says Moore.

-- Disappointment: Injuries, of course. Grossi points to Massaquoi and Steinbach, Cabot to Gocong and Young.
web page

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Shurmur said Hardesty will play in the first half with the first team.

Cool. I hope he does well with the first team.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Shurmur said Hardesty will play in the first half with the first team.

Cool. I hope he does well with the first team.

LOL At this point, I'd take average but healthy

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Coye Francies jumped in front of Jordan Norwood, intercepted the pass from Seneca Wallace and pranced to the end zone for a pick six. The defense gave Francies a loud cheer.

Coye is finally starting to make some noise. He had a nice play in the Detroit game too. Might be tough to sort through the secondary come cut time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guy that can play both corner and free safety will have a huge advantage making this roster. Safety has Adams and Ward and absoutely nothing behind them that I have seen.

Legend
Legend
Dockery should make it then w/ Shurmur giving him some time at Safety..

I think Dockery is a keeper for now atleast. Been rooting for him.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Dockery should make it then w/ Shurmur giving him some time at Safety..

I think Dockery is a keeper for now atleast. Been rooting for him.

His slender build reminds me of #22 Felix "The Cat" Wright.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Safety has Adams and Ward and absoutely nothing behind them that I have seen.

What about Ventrone?

I wonder if they've considered giving time to Francies at FS... he has the build. Do you know if he's spent any time there in camp, or has it all been going to Dockery?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

For the most part, Taylor seems to be doing what he has been asked to do, which is play the run, eat up space and take on blockers. I really havent seen him be asked to provide a rush to often. It would be one thing if he is trying to get upfield and is getting stood up but that hasn't necessarily been the case.

Nobody has been running on us (so far) like they did years past...that makes me happy! The D-line/LBs must be doing something right.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
O
Legend
Legend
O
FWIW, I remember reading somewhere that Coye doesn't have the tackling ability to be put back at safety.

I can't remember where I heard that (in an article or this board), but that's all I got.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
j/c

BEREA — Shawn Lauvao’s rookie season was filled with frustration.

He suffered a high ankle sprain in the preseason that took him out of the running for a starting spot and kept him inactive for the first six games. He made just one start in 10 games, as then-coach Eric Mangini lost trust and went with veterans Floyd Womack and Billy Yates.
Lauvao is back for Year 2, and has a fresh perspective.

“This is night and day compared to last year,” he said. “Just a different philosophy. Coach (Pat) Shurmur’s a great guy, can’t say enough good things about him. Just new attitudes, it’s a good atmosphere.”

Mangini hated losing time to injuries and was slow to warm to rookies. That 1-2 punch made it difficult for Lauvao to gain traction after the injury. After spending a third-round selection — the pick was acquired from the Jets in the Braylon Edwards trade — the front office hoped for an instant impact from Lauvao, but he never got the chance.

“As a rookie you want to prove yourself,” he said. “They brought you in for a reason. It’s not like you want to be hurt and do nothing. It’s like a catch-22. Some coaches, they’ll be a little more lenient and other coaches will kinda just ride you.

“You’re trying to tell your body to do the things, but it doesn’t want to respond. It just becomes bothersome and you get annoyed and frustrated overall.”
Lauvao (6-foot-3, 315 pounds) took a trip to his native Hawaii over the long offseason and spent the rest of the time training in Arizona, where he attended Arizona State.

He spent a lot of time thinking about the year that had gotten away.

“You have a lot of time where you are able just to meditate on things,” he said. “In my mind, I’ve got a vision. With that vision, there’s a purpose tied to it. So from that, I want to master my craft and get some things done this season.”

He’ll have the chance, as he’s locked in as the starting right guard. He’s sandwiched between Pro Bowl center Alex Mack and nine-year veteran right tackle Tony Pashos.

“He’s a natural. He’s a young guy with a lot of tools and I think he’s a very good guard to be playing next to. I’m fortunate,” Pashos said. “He’s got a bright future ahead of him.”

“He’s done a real good job fixing his handwork,” Mack said. “In the offseason he must’ve done something because it’s a lot better, it’s more precise, his footwork’s good and he’s learning the offense real quick, which is really a key.”

Lauvao is a contender to make the biggest jump of any Browns player from last season. The opportunity is there, and those around him believe he has the talent. He went head-to-head Friday with Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, rookie of the year in 2010, and Suh didn’t have an impact.

“He did very well,” Shurmur said. “Shawn’s a very consistent, steady player and I think he showed up well Friday night.”

Whether it’s the year under his belt, the absence of Mangini or the new culture cultivated by Shurmur, Lauvao’s heightened comfort level is obvious. He isn’t afraid to sit and talk with reporters and throw in a couple of jokes.

“I’m just happy to be here,” he said. “When I look at Coach Shurmur and I look at a guy in comparison, I almost think like a Tony Dungy type of mentality. He expects you to be professional, but at the same time when he comes into the room, it’s time for work.”

Lauvao is the only unproven commodity on a line considered a team strength, and one of the better units in the league. He doesn’t want to be the weak link.

“Me being a young guy, I definitely want to play that much better because I have these guys around me busting their butts,” he said. “The thought in my mind every day is just trying to master my craft. Always asking some of the vets, asking Coach Hop (offensive line coach George Warhop), what are you looking at when you see different schemes? What’s the thing that’ll make me be the most efficient, be the best that I can be?”

Lauvao is critical when he watches himself on film, constantly picking on the details linemen must master. He’s gotten a stern physical test throughout camp by matching up with No. 1 pick Phil Taylor, a 6-3, 325-pound defensive tackle.

“I would hope at the end of the day I could be a technician, just making sure this guy is pretty sound in what he does, whether it’s run or pass,” Lauvao said.

link

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

“This is night and day compared to last year,” he said. “Just a different philosophy. Coach (Pat) Shurmur’s a great guy, can’t say enough good things about him. Just new attitudes, it’s a good atmosphere.”

I'm sensing a recurring theme here

Quote:

“He did very well,” Shurmur said. “Shawn’s a very consistent, steady player and I think he showed up well Friday night.”

Seems as if anyone on the team that Shurmur thinks is doing a good job is described as "steady"..

Another recurring theme

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Ha ha. I caught the "steady" thing too.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

“You have a lot of time where you are able just to meditate on things,” he said. “In my mind, I’ve got a vision. With that vision, there’s a purpose tied to it. So from that, I want to master my craft and get some things done this season.”

I agree, I think Lauvao has a bright future at RG for us.

As far as the biggest jump from last years rookie class that's debatable, if only because the fact that he will not be in the spot light, like Hardesty, McCoy, Haden or even T.J. Ward for that matter, but if he can make that position a none concern, then all the better.

The 2009 Draft class is looking more and more like the Draft of the decade (or two), for us with possibly 5 ringers and perhaps even 6 if Mitchell pans out.

Here's hoping we have 5-7 more from this years class.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm assuming you mean 2010, right?

2009 brought us Robiskie, Mass and the legend of David Vekune.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp Discussions (Part II)

Link Copied to Clipboard