Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Chester Taylor has fallen off the map with his FA move to Chicago. The guy has alot of life left, has experience in the Viking west coast offense and would make an excellent third down back. I really don't know what happened to him in Chicago, but their offensive line isn't the best so i would expect this is part of the problem. I would take him in a second, especially if the Jackson injury is going to be a problem.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I know the Eagles are probably going to trade Joselio Hanson. I'd take him for a 5th rounder.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
You don't have to give up anything for guys that are cut.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Legend
Legend
I remember being ticked that he was drafted by Baltimore... I thought he'd look great in O&B. That was a few good years ago, however....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Right, that's why I said they are probably going to trade him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was scouting the League the other day for a possible veteran RB's who might be cut and taylor is one of those on the bubble who would be a good option, because of Jacksons injury we might have to open up another roster spot for another RB.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't we make a play for Taylor a couple years ago, and he said he didn't want to play here? I could be wrong, but I swear I remember hearing that he turned us down.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Didn't we make a play for Taylor a couple years ago, and he said he didn't want to play here? I could be wrong, but I swear I remember hearing that he turned us down.

Let's hope he believes in "never say never"

We are not the same team or organization ... It could all be a moot point, but he has always been in that 3rd down back role and has been pretty "steady" throughout his career.

[Linked Image]

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I thought he signed the offer sheet, and Baltimore matched it.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
As Frenchy said, he agreed with the Browns but Baltimore matched it and brought him back - thereby screwing me over twice in my quest to have Chester Taylor play for the Browns. Maybe the third time could be the charm.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Packers have a lot of depth at WR, I'd like to grab one they try to slip on the practice squad and put as the Browns 6th (plus they run the WCO)

The only veteran talent I would go after would be at LB as we are super weak and injured....Everywhere else I'd look for development players (roster spots 45-53) that are better then ours

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought he signed the offer sheet, and Baltimore matched it.

Yes and now he is with the Bears trying to make their roster.

There's a good chance we will see him Thursday.

[Linked Image]

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I like two of these guys playing tonight, Joique Bell for the Saints, and Taiwan Jones for the Raiders, both are RB's. I doubt either one gets cut but if one of them does, would love to have one of them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I like two of these guys playing tonight, Joique Bell for the Saints, and Taiwan Jones for the Raiders, both are RB's. I doubt either one gets cut but if one of them does, would love to have one of them.

Bells another guy on the bubble, that will get picked up on waivers. with Engram, Thomas, Ivory and Sprolls he has his work cut out for him making the Saints.

He looked good on their last drive.

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't get the Taylor love. He will be thirty-two-years-old the first month of the season (birthday is September 22nd) and has been terrible the past two seasons. In 2009 he averaged 3.6 yards per carry and last year he averaged 2.4 yards per carry. And the Bears signed Marion Barber to replace him. The only upside would be that he knows our system after playing with the Vikings.

I'd much rather have Brian Westbrook; who is the same age (turns 32 on September 2nd), fits what we need (third down back), was more recently successful (last season averaged 4.4 yards per carry in the same role Taylor had with the Bears), and also knows the offense (was with Shurmur in Philadelphia).

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd look to get any DE, DT and CB who's on the bubble in Philadelphia...small trade or afte cuts..but no problem to invest a 5th to 7th for a quality player there

For RB...there will be plenty of better RBs than Smith or Porter cut and probably be more effective than Hardesty right now...I look at the Saints..they have Ingram, P.Thomas, Sproles, Ivory, P.Cobbs and J.Bell...they have to cut at least 1 of them....Ivory wil be put on the PUP but could lead to a release during the season

I would nab Joique Bell, he's a decent RB

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
this is a general reply without any specific names being mentioned.

Our 2nd stringers in some areas look, well, weak.

Hopefully we can find a few young players that Heckert feels fits our system after final camp cuts.IMO the players being released at the 1st cut-down are either bad or old. The final round of cuts is where Heckert will be active for at least a player or two. But I'm prolly being Capt. Obvious here.

AND

Don't be too discouraged if Heckert waits until after the 1st game of the season to make his move. Players on the roster at game one are guaranteed a full season salary. Those that are signed after game one are not. Many teams will wait until after game one to scour the waiver wire.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I don't get the Taylor love.

Me neither.
He was an attractive option back in 2005, which is when Phil Savage tried to get him from the Ravens, but that was six years ago. Pre-Jamal Lewis, pre Reuben Droughns.

No thanks.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
With the possibility of Steinbach being out for an extended period of time, I'm wondering if the Browns go with their young untested backup talent to take over at LG or if the Browns will be shopping for an experienced veteran who is let go in the final cuts...

...Aug 30 - cut to 75
...Sept 3rd cut to 53

The best case scenario would be Steinbach recovering without the need for surgery and plays the season.

If Steiny can't play, the Browns will be faced with a decision as to how to fill the void.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Whatever vet is on the bubble elsewehere isn't much better even short term than a rook like Pinkston imho...OL is not a good position to look for cuts anyway...enough room to stash since every team keeps and needs 9-10...RB, WR, TE, CB and even DE are positions where a handful of teams have 1-2 talented guys too much and where max 4-5/team are kept...OL? not so much...only vets that make too much $$ "maybe" get cut....but I don't see any cut being much better than Pinkston...I'd much rather break him in...he's gonna start somewhere along the OL for many years for us..and still think he could be our answer at RT

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
So let's say they go with Pinkston in for Steiny... Can't they bring in a RB to help cover at certain/critical times?

Just wondering

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So let's say they go with Pinkston in for Steiny... Can't they bring in a RB to help cover at certain/critical times?

Just wondering

Of course they can .... but the WCO is more likely to see that RB in a short pattern than kept in to block.

The WCO spreads the field wide rather than deep. It depends on forcing the defense to defend across the entire width of the field. Once players are kept in to block, you make coverages much easier.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

but I don't see any cut being much better than Pinkston

DJ...all of this based on one start for Pinkston?

Fact is, we don't know who might become available in the final cuts, so to claim or even consider Pinkston equal or close in ability to a veteran Olineman is wishful thinking.

Last season, defenses attacked the Browns Oline be blitzing, up the middle and all 3 of our QBs ended up injured during the season. If Pinkston is ready to take on the pressure that is going to come his way...I'm all for it.

BUT, one start by Pinkston is not enough to convince me that it would be wise for the Browns to risk the health of our QBs and the success of the offense on a rookie OG.

Again, the best case would be Steiny recovers...after that, it becomes the coaches call, to determine if Pinkston is ready to take over. Also, we might see Vallos or Greco, who do have NFL experience, fill Steiny's position if he can't go.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
With Pinkston holding down one guard spot and Lauvio holding down the other, that's a serious lack of experience on the Oline.. The thought of that scares me a little.. And that's not mentioning that Pashos is scary to begin with (regarding injuries)

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Last season, defenses attacked the Browns Oline be blitzing, up the middle and all 3 of our QBs ended up injured during the season. If Pinkston is ready to take on the pressure that is going to come his way...I'm all for it.

But we had Steinbach at LG and and AllPro C, right? hmm

I pimped Pinkston on draft weekend as a mid-round choice...he has the talent to help day1, that was part of the reason I wanted him...the others were: versatility and superb run blocker...now that I've seen that he held up pretty good in pass pro against 1 of the better DL around I'm ok to let him start at LG...a vet who isn't good enough to make a Top10 OL list on any NFL team ain't gonna be better..sure bring one in as insurance (and I think we already did with Greco btw)...but I doubt he'll be better than Pinkston SHORT and LONG term...jmho

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I pimped Pinkston on draft weekend as a mid-round choice...

Ahh, so that's why you watched him on EVERY Play and decided he was solid. it's not that he was, you just like to be right about who you pimped so you can brag about it later

Hey,, I hope Pinkston is the answer.. But until we get into real games and we see him handling the pressure that's sure to come, I'll just wait and see.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Way to take mac's comments against your opinion in this argument and use it to support your position in another. Especially if mac is one of those arguing against you (I don't recall if he is or isn't). Either way - nice, very nice.

Are you sure you aren't a lawyer?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
N
Legend
Legend
N
I can't find video, but I seem to remember both Jake and Seneca getting hurt on blitzes from the left side (w/ Jake's in particular being a rare occasion that JT seemed to get beat).

Seneca was hurt by John Abraham who is the ATL RDE (offense leftside):
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5670696

I agreed with you on Pinkston as a draft prospect and I hope he confirms those feelings by just taking the job and proving he is a mauler (if he can pickup pass protection well enough too then great).

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I remembered that as well (QB's getting hurt by pass rush from the ends).

And you included the link. You're one better than me...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
per roto:

Titans released DT Jovan Haye.
The new regime never gave Haye much of a chance as they try to bulk up their interior. The Titans drafted three defensive linemen and Haye was set to make $6.7 million over the next two years. He'll get another shot as a veteran that can rush the passer.

Here's a guy I would def look to sign for depth

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can't find video, but I seem to remember both Jake and Seneca getting hurt on blitzes from the left side (w/ Jake's in particular being a rare occasion that JT seemed to get beat).

Yeah, that was not a good stretch for Joe.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that was not a good stretch for Joe.

it happens even to the best. hey, he may have helped us get that draft pick that we used to get a bounty from ATL. JT was just trying to improve the team

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think its interesting...through reading other threads. That when we traded back with the Falcons from 6 to 21, we got a first rounder and Phil Taylor and we're talking about this being the greatest trade of cleveland draft history and when Mangini traded back and got a 2nd rounder and a bevy of players that started for the team.

Not trying to pry...but we bashed one (because the 2nd round drafts picks werent good) and are lauding another...

when both took a player in the trenches, and added players through additional picks.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
if mangini would have gotten a 2nd 1st rounder, then he would have been lauded more. trading that far down (especially for a QB for the team trading up) tends to land a 2nd 1st rounder.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Mangini got a 2nd, a couple of 6ths and Ratliff, Coleman and Elam = (2 below AVG starters and a 3rd string QB = no value)

Heckert got a "trade up" from our 3rd to ATL's 2nd (since the 3rd was used for Taylor tradeup), a 1st and 2 4ths

That's MUCH better...not even same ballpark

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
Cowboys cut Pro Bowl Center Andre Gurode, according to PFT. Can he play Guard too?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/29/cowboys-cut-andre-gurode

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh look a ProBowl Center cut and another one still a FA (O'Hara)..yeah, C have tremendous value, lol

#gmstrong

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Father time and injuries catch up with everyone.... O'Hara and Gurode are 34 and 33 respectively.

The Rams let Orlando Pace walk.... does that mean left tackles have no value?

Decreased physical ability, the need to develop a younger player, a large contract on an injury risk....all factors for teams letting players go at ANY position.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The boys tried him at guard...he wasnt a good fit. Moved him back to center the following year and then he went all pro for something like 5 years running.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Oh look a ProBowl Center cut and another one still a FA (O'Hara)..yeah, C have tremendous value, lol

how many current All-Pro C's have been cut?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Possible Cuts around league: Who do you want?

Link Copied to Clipboard