Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
www.KFFL.com

Eagles | Michael Vick agrees to huge deal
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:59:43 -0700

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a six-year deal with QB Michael Vick that is worth $100 million, including $40 million in guaranteed money.


I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,445
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,445
Quote:

www.KFFL.com

Eagles | Michael Vick agrees to huge deal
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:59:43 -0700

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a six-year deal with QB Michael Vick that is worth $100 million, including $40 million in guaranteed money.




Trading Kolb will be Reid's downfall...Watch...

Over/Under for games Vick plays???...8...He still has no clue what a "Pocket" is...


Go Browns!!!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Let's hope he makes better decisions with his money this time around .......


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,693
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,693


[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,417
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,417
Thats nuts he is not worth it. They think they are going to the SB this year. Not with that Oline.


Joe Thomas #73
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,234
B
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,234
Feels like a last-ditch, one little extra spark kind of move. Like the last thing on the check-list was to get his head straight.

Don't choke now, Vicky boy . . .

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,590
P
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,590
Curious ... isn't he still bankrupt and doesn't he still owe creditors a ton of money? I wonder how much of that contract goes to pay off debts.


"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521
Quote:

Curious ... isn't he still bankrupt and doesn't he still owe creditors a ton of money? I wonder how much of that contract goes to pay off debts.




That was my thought. I'd guess he doesn't see the lion's share of that bonus.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
$40 million guaranteed? He's worth that to them in merchandise sales alone.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Good for him. He made a very, very bad choice and it cost him his freedom, reputation and large bank account. He's done everything society and the NFL fan base has expected of him to back to this point. I applaud him.

Hopefully, he's genuinely contrite and he truly is a changed man.

As for this season and his future, I'm not buying. He fell apart last season, physically and mentally. The league learned how to contain him. His talent is still off the charts, and it will be impossible to prevent all the time, but I think he gives up on plays too quick (leave the pocket or chuck it up into coverage). As we've all said, I don't see his body making it through a full season...I KNOW we'll see Vince Young as a starter for a game or two.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Quote:

Good for him. He made a very, very bad choice and it cost him his freedom, reputation and large bank account. He's done everything society and the NFL fan base has expected of him to back to this point. I applaud him.

Hopefully, he's genuinely contrite and he truly is a changed man.

As for this season and his future, I'm not buying. He fell apart last season, physically and mentally. The league learned how to contain him. His talent is still off the charts, and it will be impossible to prevent all the time, but I think he gives up on plays too quick (leave the pocket or chuck it up into coverage). As we've all said, I don't see his body making it through a full season...I KNOW we'll see Vince Young as a starter for a game or two.




^This...

Though I don't think he's worth that kind of cash.


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Generally, I have no love for Vick whatsoever. But he did pay his debt to society so I guess that's good

I'll let the Gurus of Football decide if he's worth the money


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,437
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,437
This is the first and probably only time you will ever see someone sign TWO $100 million contracts in a NFL career.

Amazing.




“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
C
Legend
Offline
Legend
C
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
Quote:

The league learned how to contain him.




It did?

In Vick's second to last regular season game last year (versus the Giants) he passed for 242 yards and 3 TD's (and a pick) and rushed for 130 yards and a TD.

That doesn't seem very contained.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
j/c...

Do I think he's worth the $100mil contract?

No.

Does it have anything to do with the dog fighting?

No.

He paid his debt to society, and he has the right to be employed by whoever wishes to employ him.

If he was an accountant, no one would say "Oh, he fought dogs, he shouldn't be allowed to work", because that'd be dumb. Being a football player doesn't make it any different.

However, I would be upset if it were the Browns, giving a guy $100mil after less than one full season of being the starter.



Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Quote:

Generally, I have no love for Vick whatsoever. But he did pay his debt to society so I guess that's good

I'll let the Gurus of Football decide if he's worth the money




Vick did what you're suppose to do if you do something illegal.

He served his time. He appears to have learned from the experience. He seems to be a changed, and better man.

I can respect that he managed to make himself a better man.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Quote:

I can respect that he managed to make himself a better man.





If that turns out to be the case, I can respect that also....


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
N
Legend
Offline
Legend
N
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
Quote:

Over/Under for games Vick plays???...8...He still has no clue what a "Pocket" is...




playing less than 8 games is always possible when you have a QB that runs.

however, setting an over/under line on Vick at 8 is just silly because it has no basis in history. here are the games he has started in the years he has been the starter for the team (even including last year when he wasn't the starter in week1)

15,4,15,15,16,11

That looks like a good chance that he will play double-digit games and quite possibly the netire season. He has ended up on the IR one time in his career. That is the same number as 'pocket-aware' Tom Brady.

Yes, he has more risk to get hurt, but that risk is incredibly overblown.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Quote:

Quote:

I can respect that he managed to make himself a better man.





If that turns out to be the case, I can respect that also....




Check out "The Michael Vick Project"

I know, it's a TV show, and it's easy to act like a changed man in front of a camera, but I got the feeling that he really was remorseful and is a changed person.



Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 658
D
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Quote:

Quote:

The league learned how to contain him.




It did?

In Vick's second to last regular season game last year (versus the Giants) he passed for 242 yards and 3 TD's (and a pick) and rushed for 130 yards and a TD.

That doesn't seem very contained.




I think you misinterpreted "league" contained vs. "other teams" contained. The league presented him as a repented guy, worthy of playing again.


Thomas - The Tank Engine
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,391
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,391
Quote:

As for this season and his future, I'm not buying. He fell apart last season, physically and mentally. The league learned how to contain him. His talent is still off the charts, and it will be impossible to prevent all the time, but I think he gives up on plays too quick (leave the pocket or chuck it up into coverage). As we've all said, I don't see his body making it through a full season...I KNOW we'll see Vince Young as a starter for a game or two.




Possibly. But then again, the Eagles went into last season with an offense designed around Kolb, not Vick. I wonder how much different, if any, it will be with an offense designed around him instead. With the way that OL looked the other night, I hope they have a lot of roll-outs!

Having said that, I'll be the first to admit I hope he does well. He's my FFL starting QB!!


------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Stats are for losers.....that's directed to you AND me. Ha ha ha...have to get that out of the way.

I don't think you can use one game to disprove anything. Here are his averages for the first six and last six games (I threw out Week 4 since he didn't finish the game - only 7 pass attempts and 3 rushes):

Avg Rating 1-6 109.4
Avg Rating 7-12 89.9

Avg Comp % 1-6 62.8
Avg Comp % 7-12 61.3

Avg Yards 1-6 259.8
Avg Yards 7-12 283.7

Avg TDs 1-6 1.8
Avg TDs 7-12 1.8

Avg INTs 1-6 0.0
Avg INTs 7-12 1.2

Avg Rush Atts 1-6 8.7
Avg Rush Atts 7-12 8.8

Avg Rush Yards 1-6 59.7
Avg Rush Yards 7-12 55.5

Avg Rush TDs 1-6 0.8
Avg Rush TDs 7-12 0.8

Avg Fumbles 1-6 0.3
Avg Fumbles 7-12 0.8

Of those 9 stat comparisons, 3 got significantly worse, 5 were about the same and only 1 got better. I would argue he got worse. His INT were crazy worse and that contributed to his poor rating in the 2nd half (compariable). And his fumbles doubled in the 2nd half.

Is that a slam dunk? Meh....but his rating and turnovers got worse. I would think that might suggest the league figured out how to contain him (not stop him).


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Could any of that be because of fatigue late in the season?

I mean it had been 4 years since he played that many games in a season...

I'm not saying it is, but it could be an explanation.



Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
N
Legend
Offline
Legend
N
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
the problem with stats is that with a small sample size, you can throw off the entire results with 1 outlier.

take away that game against Washington and see what difference there is (333yds, 71%, 4TDs, 0INTs, 80yds rushing, 2 rushing TDs)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00/gamelog/2010/


#gmstrong
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Sure, the slight drop in rating and increase in fumbles might be attributed to injures to the O-line, bad WR routes, divisional games (seeing him a 2nd time around), bad weather or even fatigue. Although, everyone on the field could be fighting fatigue too. Vick also got 4 weeks off to rest and heal.

I still think he's an amazing dynamic talent that can't be stopped.....but we'll see if this season the INT's and fumbles match games 1-6 or games 7-12 from last year.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
K
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
Vick getting a $100 million dollar contract kinda makes me cringe. On a couple levels.

1, thats a lot of money for an injury prone guy...

2, For every Mike Vick, who has done something terrible, there are plenty of guys who have done nothing wrong that will NEVER get paid that much ever. I have seen a lot of the Vick things, and it seems like he is contrite and whatnot, but...man, with how people are nowadays...its hard for me to think this is a changed man...especially with how quickly he's returned to the top. I wonder if this will erode the humility that has made him so easy to like since leaving prison.


"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
K
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
additionally, them extending Vick and not doing anything with DeSean Jackson yet cant possibly send a good message to him...and possibly several others on the team.

DeSean Jackson has been as good if not better at his position than Vick has in the past year, but Jackson has been doing it for longer for Philly. And he isnt paid yet?

could be trouble.


"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
I would be shocked if they didn't tell Desean to wait until they get Vick done first. They have to extend or re-do Desean's deal IMO. I think an announcement will soon be out for him too.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Quote:

2, For every Mike Vick, who has done something terrible, there are plenty of guys who have done nothing wrong that will NEVER get paid that much ever.




How many of those plenty can have the same impact of Mike Vick? Not plenty.

This contract isn't about rewarding a bad guy and punishing the good guys. He earned this deal with his play on the field.

On top of that, this isn't a 2nd 100 million dollar contract. It's a $40 million dollar contract. Like 99% of every other NFL contract, they won't get to the fantasy monies later in the deal.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
K
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
oh no i understand it completely...its just too bad that more good guys dont have that kinda talent, and i worry about mike vick's humility...it seems he's turned it around...but, money changes things


"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,853
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,853
Desean is only talented b/c of his speed. If he didn't have his speed.. he would be average in every other area...

I could say the same thing for Vick, but he is the guy who gets the ball EVERY snap. QB's get paid, and Philly has a pretty good one in Vick. I think that is a ton of money, but I also thought what we gave Derek Anderson was a ton of money too..


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Good point. Was Vick playing so hard to earn his reputation back....or his contract? And now that he has the money back....does he slow down, pack it in or start calling his old buddies again?

I personally think he's a changed man. He didn't just lose his money, reputation and career.....but he lost all those AND had to think about how he lost it inside a jail cell for two years. That's a lot of time to reflect on how stupid you were and how you'll never let yourself be that stupid again.

Outisde of dying, he went as low as he could go. I think that scared him straight.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
K
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
i hope so, but color me skeptical...I think it would be a huge letdown if he regressed...not as a player, but as a person


"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Quote:

i hope so, but color me skeptical...I think it would be a huge letdown if he regressed...not as a player, but as a person



I believe Vick will be fine as long as he is in the NFL, it's what happens after that worries me. As he is around his team and has this constant reminder of what he had, how he lost it, and all that it took to get it back... I don't see him regressing but sometime in the future when he retires and the lights aren't on him any more... I don't know, I wish him the best.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
I heard somewhere that if he earns every penny of his 100 million dollar contract... He still wouldn't have enough to pay off all his debt...

He's got people working with him to pay off all his bankruptcies etc.


Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
6th year of Vick deal voided if he plays more than 35% of the snaps in ANY of the first 5 years. Makes the contract $80mil, with $32.5mil guaranteed.

Basically he needs to play 6 games (give or take) in a single season to void the 6th year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/vicks-real-deal-five-years-80-million/



Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
So in essence, it's a 32.5 million dollar deal. Not $40 and not $100 million.

I would have liked the NFL to clean up this mess with the recent CBA. Sign contracts that are real.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,704
I'm sure he'll reach some of his incentives.

Probably end up being a $50-$60mil deal, IMO.



Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
And really, wouldn't it benefit the NFL and teams if they were honest about the contracts?

Michael Vick signs 6 year, 100 Million Dollar Deal!

Sounds ridiculous to the average joe...

A 5 year 30-40 Mil deal and theres no big news really...


Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,165
R
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,165
Take away the dog thing, I wouldn't offer that deal to him.

That is paying him like he's Brees/Brady/Manning.

I don't know anyone that considers him to be in that company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Vick signs massive contract extension...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5