Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Rambo Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
With the preseason over, what are everyone's thoughts and predictions on the 2011 season? Here are a few of mine:

McCoy continues to cement himself as the QB of the future.

Hillis regresses from last year partly due to nagging injuries and defenses gameplanning for him. Hardesty steps up nicely and shows no ill effects from his ACL injury. He provides a nice change of pace to Hillis.

MoMass and Robo continue to disapoint and combine for less than 800 yards receiving.

Evan Moore leads the team in TD receptions. Ben Watson posts stats similar to last season and continues as one of McCoy's favorite targets.

Joe Thomas once again starts every game and makes the Pro Bowl along with Alex Mack.

Ahtyba Rubin makes his first Pro Bowl.

Our LB corps prove Heckert wrong and struggle the entire season. Lack of depth and speed are exposed often.

Haden has another solid year but Brown continues to lose several steps.

Despite showing some positive signs and continuing to make progress, the Browns finish 5-11 after a brutal stretch late in the season. The lack of depth on several units of the team are exposed nearly every game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
boy there is some deep analysis

#gmstrong
R
Rambo Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

boy there is some deep analysis

Wasn't meant to be deep analysis. Just thoughts on how you think the season will go.

Thanks for your contribution.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
My thoughts....

1. I've never seen an easier schedule for the Browns for the first ten games of the season.
2. We have some nice pieces like Thomas, Mack, Hillis, Watson and Moore on offense. McCoy is a wild card but at least he has some moxie. Little might work out. I can see us putting up some points this year.
3. We probably have the least amount of dynamic speed athletes of any team in the NFL.
4. I hope DQ can stay healthy as I think he'll be a different and much better player in this defense.
5. I hope we're active on the waiver wire because our depth is nearly non-existent.
6. I can be convinced that we might have an 8-8 season. Maybe even a little better depending on how those first 10 games go.
7. I can also be convinced that we'll be picking #1 overall. Not too many bad things / injuries have to happen to key guys and we'll be at the bottom looking up.
8. Special teams rule changes hurt, not having an offseason to install new offense and defenses hurts, lot of things working against us.
9. With all that I'm hopeful because we play a lot of teams that have their own significant problems.
10. Go Browns!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree on the schedule. We have a real chance at winning 6 or 7 of the 1st 10 games. Then everyone's expectations will go through the roof .... we'll hit the difficult part of the schedule ..... and people will be calling for the coach and his staff to be fired. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Well, put it all together and what have you got.

The 2011 Browns, much better than the 2010 Browns? I don't know.

If I look at the Browns from a trying to be different perspective, look at this offense 3rd party, imagine a defense trying to win a game against this Browns offense and it seems pretty easy, it seems pretty simple.

Compared to most NFL teams, there's just not much on the Browns offense that I'd be truely worried about if I were a def coordinator.

Passing, the Browns are going to beat me with the pass?
They've got Cribbs, Massaquoi, and Watson, and Nothing else. Period.

If I stop Cribbs, Massaquoi and Watson, and dare them to beat me with the pass with anyone else? Good luck, because I don't buy it, not yet anyway.

Running the ball, they have Peyton Hillis, an average big back not much to contain a little hard to bring down, you've got a whole years worth of film on what he does. Just like any NFL team you'll face if you let the #1 Rb beat you it's your own fault.
They don't have any other proven runningback.

Quarterback, they have Colt McCoy, I think he's very overrated but the jury's still out. He might be smart and skilled but he's still new. New to his new offense and new to the NFL game, compared to most QB's an average defense would have to stop, theres not much that really scares you about Colt McCoy.

The key thing to remember if I'm a def Coordinator, for my defense facing these Browns is that These Browns are going to make mistakes ( alot of them) ( see 10 years of film)
When these Browns make mistakes, be there to capitalize on them and my defense might come away today with a couple of touchdowns.

This should be one of the easiest offenses to face all year.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Honestly, I think it is going to be another tough year. We've already lost our starting left guard for the season and a number of our starters will start the season dinged-up. Not good for a team with little depth to fall back on.

Are the Browns a better team in 2011? I don't know. We've got some talented new players, but we're installing a new offense and a new defense. I'm afraid we're going to stumble out of the gate, improve as the season progresses through October and into November only to go 0-fer in December (with the possible exception of a win in Arizona). IMO, we're looking at a 6-10 season with a ceiling of 8-8.

I just hope we're patient enough to stick with this transformation of our offense and defense until Heckertt can get the talent in here we need to compete more consistently. I think this year will be a season of transition and struggle. However, I like our prospects going forward.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just hope we're patient enough to stick with this transformation of our offense and defense until Heckertt can get the talent in here we need to compete more consistently. I think this year will be a season of transition and struggle. However, I like our prospects going forward.

I agree with this. I have a feeling it's going to be a roller coaster ride. One game where we shine, one game where we tank, one game where we shine, etc. Our schedule looks good on paper, but we all know how that turns out.

My prediction is 5-11, though I think we'll be in just about every game. We just don't have the talent...yet.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's difficult for me to answer this one. I don't know the roster yet, I havent seen the final cuts and who's available yet.

I'm going to need to chime in next Thursday or Friday. However, I have a hard time believing anyone of high quality such as a good left guard is going to be available. We probably have what we are going to see already. In that case, I have some trouble seeing an 8 win season.

We'll see next week. If I'm correct, the cuts are TMR.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
OK let's see

Week 1 Bengals - Probable win... better win...

Week 2 Colts - Possible win... I think Manning will be playing but I expect he'll be a little shaky. They likely will be coming off a loss so I expect they will be hungry... but I put this in as a possible win

Week 3 Dolphins - Possible win... there's talk that perhaps Carson Palmer comes back to the Bengals and gets traded to the Dolphins? Who knows... either way their QB situation is crap... I think this is a very possible win

Week 4 Titans - Possible win... Love that we are home because by this time in the season their offense should be clicking... our run defense had better be TIGHT for this game because Johnson is amazing and will be coming into the season fresh (if he's in shape). I hate the Titans almost as much as I hate the Steelers and Rats...

Week 6 Raiders - Possible win... a good team across the country... I'm leaning toward possible loss but you never know with the Raiders.... they have a ton of speed on their team... will be interesting to see how they do

Week 7 Seahawks - Probable win... man we better win this game. They are better than the Bengals but I don't think by much

Week 8 49ers - Probable win.... again a really bad team but we have to go across country and I like their coach... I just don't think they have much talent.

Week 9 Texans - Probable loss... Texans look like they have their act together this year and they are tough at home... would love to see the Browns win it but not expecting it...

Week 10 Rams - Possible win... another young team on the rise...we get them at home which is why I said possible win... their offense was good last year but I'm hoping since they have a new system they'll take a step back and we'll take a step up since we have the mastermind behind their offense... should be a good game.

Week 11 Jags - Probable win... the Jags are so up and down... I'm picking it as a win because I think they won't be good this year. I expect by this point they will be playing Gabbert at QB

Week 12 Bengals - Better win

Week 13 Ravens - Possible win since its at home and a rival. Though they are a much better team than us.

Week 14 Steelers - Probable Loss - at their house will be tough

Week 15 Cards - Probable loss - at their house and I think they get their act together and have a good offense this year

Week 16 Ravens - Probable loss at their house

Week 17 Steelers - Possible win at home... Steelers will likely be in the play offs at this point but it's a rival game and perhaps they are fighting for home field? So who knows...

I like the start of our schedule... lots of winnable games... the back end is HARSH.

I'm hoping our team can gel quickly and come out of the gate on a tear... we're going to have to stay healthy and really get things clicking to be able to survive down the stretch

Overall I think we can be around 7 or 8 wins... Should be a fun year to watch but I'm not going to get my expectations up too much. Just hope we're competitive with a solid defense and hoping we can move the ball... really need our passing game to step up this year.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Trying to be positive. it's hard given the recent results of this team.. But, new coach, new Starting QB, if executed well, a fun offensive system to watch, better starting talent than in recent years, a defense that might just be what's best suited for our division, the appearence of an easier schedule to begin the season.

All of that points to a real possibility of a successful year.

The thing that worries me most really came to light last night,, depth.. Depth everywhere. I guess if we get the starters up and running, the next phase may well be building depth.

So, I expect to see no better than 8-8 (I think that might be optimistic)

I expect to see the continued improvement of Colt McCoy

I expect to see improvement by the WR corps

I expect to see Montario Hardesty contribute

I expect to see some of the weight come off of Hillis and for him to last the entire year in good shape

I expect to see Ruben go to the Probowl

I expect to see Sheard be the sack leader on this team

I expect to see 10 INT by the Defense

I expect to see 20 TDs by the Offense via pass and 12 more via run

I expect to be entertained and kept interested.

If that stuff happens, I'm going to say it was a successful year for a team in transition. and we are that..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I think whoever made our schedule, saw how "easy" it was "on paper", so they decided that we get West Coast, Home, West Coast...

...Kind of ridiculous.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
The West Coast/East Coast is more of a problem for teams going to the East Coast from the West. Our guys body clocks will tell them they are playing a game at 4 o'clock. Guys going West feel like it's 10 o'clock.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I have a feeling, when all is said and done, we won't have a very good record this year.

I am hoping, however, to be similar to the Detroit Lions of last year. They had a pretty crappy record, but they made every team work their butts off to beat 'em. They were in every single game last year down to the very end. I'm hoping to see the same intensity from our group.

I'll join in and beat that dead horse, depth is what's going to kill us.

I think Colt will start slower than people expect (partially because expectations are sky-high right now) but then build throughout the season and turn in a respectable season (overall, he'll meet expectations despite an early season rough patch).

Little will be an up-and-down contributor this year. It will be a roller coaster season for him.

Our defensive line will play well, but will get worn down and injuries will happen. Linebackers will start off poor and only get worse as injuries pile up. Secondary will take another small step forward.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I predicted a 5 win improvement with the firing of St. Claire (worst offensive linemen in the league last year) Mangini and Daboll , that hasn't changed. I think a 10-6 record is possible if we can get off to that quick start and build some confidence.

Over 2000 yards for Hillis via Air and Ground. We havent run the ball to often in preseason but it was there for the taking. With Jackson out and Hardesty looking like he is a year away from being close to ready, Hillis and Armond Smith become the Browns version of thunder and lightning although it will the Rhino and the Rabbit lmao.

Colt I see 25 tds and 12 ints along with 3600 yds passing. Td total would have been higher but Hillis is money.

TJ Ward will become the next big thing at safety in the AFC North to go right along with Troy and Ed Reed. Jauron's defense is very safety friendly and with Rubin and Taylor wrecking havoc in the middle Ward and DQ are going to rack up the numbers.

It is going to be a fun year but we have very little depth, lose Hillis or Colt and we may not win a game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

It is going to be a fun year but we have very little depth, lose Hillis or Colt and we may not win a game.

I agree with you about Colt (although we would probably still win a game on accident).

While Hillis is a great player, any running back getting injured is not a nail in the coffin. Especially when you have a great O-Line. There are a couple of options. 1) Throw the ball more 2) Give Hardesty the ball more 3) Find a guy on the scrap heap and play him, if he doesn't work out get rid of him and find someone else. Like the Saints did last year. Hillis is great, but he wouldn't be that hard to replace if he goes down.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am hoping, however, to be similar to the Detroit Lions of last year. They had a pretty crappy record, but they made every team work their butts off to beat 'em. They were in every single game last year down to the very end. I'm hoping to see the same intensity from our group.

The year Miami went 1-15, they we're in pretty much every game, a few improvements the next year and they go 11-5...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love to see an 8/8 season ..

Concerns - LB'er : starters and zero depth with zero speed outside of DQ. ( has to stay healthy )

No real #1 WR in my book ( again ) We will see what the Combo unit can bring to the game.

OL - If anyone of the starters goes down we are in deep, deep DoDo .. And we really don't know how a 5th round pick will do as a rook ?

RB- Love Hillis , look for him to have another big year .. Behind him ???????

I wish there was a College out there that would produce a CB that could Tackle . Actually wrap a runner up ! Not to sure how our D backfield is going to shake out this year ..

If Body language tells a tale , we are in trouble with Wallace as a #2 .. Forget a # 3 .. Like what McCoy brings to the field , once again time will tell..

You gotsta love the TE position !

Feel better about the DL after watching the Pre Season ..

Barring any Major injury's I guess 8/8 with our schedule is in reach ..

PS: Think I likethe FB- Clutts for the one we drafted !

Last edited by waterdawg; 09/02/11 02:19 PM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think confidence will be the story teller of this season...

We have 3 winnable games right off the bat thanks to Peyton missing all of the preseason and not being able to do what he usually does.

Cincy at home...they have a new QB, a new offensive system and are adjusting to life without Chad and Carson, also dont underestimate losing Jonathon Joseph...but with the distraction of Carson and CedBenson going to jail. Theres no way they come out and put their best foot forward. Their OL looked shaky all preseason and we hit shaky OLs pretty hard (save for Chicago, but see Phi). Cincy will struggle and I think we come out 1-0.

Then we travel to Indy...Peyton will struggle because he has not had the reps and the last time he didnt go through a preseason he played pretty horrible for the early portion of the season. Lucky for him he had Edgerrin James playing very good football, now they have an iffy Joe Addai and a mix-matched cast after Reggie Wayne...if we can keep Wayne out of the end zone, we have a very very good chance at being 2-0...especially if we beat Cincy like a good football team would be a team like Cincy. If we can come into week two with the confidence of a W, I think we can surprise Indy...Even if we come out of it 1-1, but play Indy close...we have something to build off of. I think if we get through week 2 at 1-1, we're in terrific shape. Whatever way it happens.

Game 3 at home v. Miami...I think they stink. They have a pretty decent defense, but there is very little trust in the system at this point.They fired Sparano and replaced him with...Sparano. (My mistake, they hung him out to dry and while he twisted in the wind, they brought him back in)...in addition, they play NE and Houston at home to start the season...if they go 0-2 then have to go on the road to Cleveland...there wont be much going right and things could fall into a nice W for us. Ronnie Brown AND Ricky Williams is gone, as is Dan Henning (OC). New system, new parts especially at RB in Bush and Daniel Thomas...plus a borderline Brandon Marshall...I dont see them putting their best foot forward after the first two games they play...they'll be reeling. They'll then have a trip to SD then a bye...after week 2 theyre going to be hunting for a bye.

I just see a favorable early schedule, 3 very beatable teams to start off the year followed by a Tennessee team that could be dangerous but it remains to be seen if Kenny Britt will be as effective with Matt Hasselbeck and his anti-cannon arm. Vince and Kerry could really sling it, big arms...Hasselbeck is the opposite.

But if we can get to the bye at 3-1 or better, its going to be a GREAT year because the confidence will just continue to build, then when we get to the rivalries, we'll be ready to take on anyone, and I dont see Shurmur being the kind of coach whose guys will lay down to Bal and Pit like Crennel's did, and I think they'll be able to score points on their defenses unlike Mangini's teams did.

If we go 2-2...plan for a season that hovers around .500 all year. Going to Oakland directly after the bye is fine...we will have time to adjust, and Shumur can use the bye week to prepare the team for the long trips to Oakland and San Fran.

Seattle and San Fran are both bad...2-2 at the bye will have us at 4-4 after Houston, and most likely 6-5 heading into the home Baltimore game.

If we're 1-3 or worse...look for a 6 win season at best.

I think the first 3 games will tell us all we need to know about the season...It starts with a suspect Cincy team going through major changes and with a rookie QB...we get to 1-0 and things look good going into Indy

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
Legend
N
i don't think you are giving enough credit to Miami. they have a good defense, a good OL, and pretty decent WRs.

if they get anything out of their running game (again, they have a good blocking OL), then they are a team that could easily surprise alot of folks (Henne isn't great, but he can game-manage and not kill them at least)

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
and all things considered...

v. Baltimore
@Pitt
@Arizona
@Baltimore
v. Pitt

Wow what an end to the schedule...is that allowed, can we call that cruel and unusual punishment and bring the NFL to the supreme court?

The only non division "reprieve" we get in the last 5 weeks is a game AT Arizona? geeeeeez.

It has to start somehow
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I suppose...but i dont have a whole lot of respect for what their doing down there.

They have Henne who has not shown anything (now this is his 3rd year, maybe it clicks for him...but i dont know, he is too prone to drive killing turnovers)
They have a new OC in Brian Daboll...maybe he flourishes away from Mangini, but i doubt it...not enough rhyme or reason to his calls...it looks like how i play Madden...ya know throw it at the wall and see what sticks
They have Marshall who is good but has been inconsistent (ask his fantasy owners) Bess, Hartline, and a new draft pick who is very fast, plus Anthony Fasano...Marshall is an x-factor, but if Haden can take him out of games like he does to guys...we're fine...its how the Jets slow Miami down.
at RB...Bush could be a player thats dangerous, but boy he just doesnt get north-south quick enough.

They won 7 games last year and in 3 of those wins they scored 15 or less points...in addition, they lost to us last year and I dont believe theyve gotten any better. Their front 7 is very very good...how they replace Channing Crowder will go a long way to keeping them good...theyre pretty soft in the middle of their D. Theyre better on the edges...that just seems to fit how we can play well...Watson, Moore, Hillis and Norwood

and the coaching just doesnt inspire confidence in me for them...especially if they lose their first two to the pats and texans

It has to start somehow
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

We havent run the ball to often in preseason but it was there for the taking.

Totally agree with this. There were times that I thought we could run the same exactly play over and over again and get 5 yards with our starting group.

That they went to a pass play the next play made me think that they wanted to work on that part of the game rather than keep running successful running plays.

Don't know what it was about it but we're on the same wavelength there.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My prediction is 5-11, though I think we'll be in just about every game. We just don't have the talent...yet.

I agree. I said 3-13 before the preseason started but I can up my prediction to this.

From what I've seen, even if it is Shurmur's vanilla offense we're watching. It's still more innovative than the 1960s type garbage we were spoon fed from Mangini and Daboll the last 2 years.

I actually have a little excitement brewing in my veins. This is scary as I fear rejection from wins. But have hope? It must die soon.

Legend
Legend
If we go 3-13 with the cupcake schedule we play, I will be disgusted.

We won 5 games against one of the hardest schedules in the league last year. We better improve on that this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

If that stuff happens, I'm going to say it was a successful year for a team in transition. and we are that..

I won't consider it a successful season until they win a playoff game, sending another team home... or win 12 in the regular season.

If they get that far then anything can happen, maybe even a superbowl win.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
My thoughts are loaded with questions....

So much will depend on Colt's development. Can he be good enough, consistent enough to help us win some games? I like what I've seen, he sure seems more composed and unruffled than any QB we've had the past 12 years. Accurate, smart, a good leader... I am still cautiously optimistic.

But we are thin in spots. I haven't seen much of the pre-season, but reports from Dawgtalkers seem to indicate that our depth is not deep. Who is going to play linebacker if a couple vets go down? Scary. (incidentally, what's the latest on Titus Brown, anyone heard how long he's gone for)?

Will our defensive backfield be good enough and oh by the way, we are transitioning to a 4-3 on D and a WCO. I can't see it being a pain-free adjustment. We got an easy sked (on paper) and it's nice that our tougher opponents are at the tail-end of the season, so that'll help.

The loss of Steiny worries me and the thought of Pashos isn't making me do cartwheels, but we have Joe T. and Alex Mack anchoring the line, and Joe is giving props to Lavua, so that gives me hope... will Buster Skrine turn into a good 3rd corner?... I wish Usama Young hadn't been injured for much of camp...

Montario Hardesty is a guy I'm not counting on - I am hoping for good things, but not expecting them.... how good can Greg Little be in his rookie year?

If Massaqio/Robiskie don't step up, one or both will be gone next year. Count on the FO wanting to upgrade if one or both don't improve, so their time is now to get it done.

I keep getting back to Colt McCoy. Can he spread the ball around effectively, and will he get enough support from the run game to make his job easier?

This is a team that IMO will be much better in 2012. I would be surprised if we are seriously contending for the playoffs three months from now. If we win seven games it'll be a decent season - it isn't realistic to expect nine or more wins. Not to say it can't happen of course, but I really doubt it.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Where are we better/worse than last year with that tough schedule.

QB - Not sure. McCoy could be better.

RB - The same or better. Hillis is back, Hardesty might see the field, and Smith is interesting.

OL - I think we'll miss Steiny, esp the first few games. Right side should be stronger.

TE - Solid guys. One of our best units

WR - No worse. MoMass and Robo have another year under their belts, Cribbs seems to start to understand the position, and we added Little.

DL - Better. I think we will be happy with these guys for years to come.

LB - Better if DQ can stay healthy.

DB - About the same.

Depth - As rancid as last year, so no change.

If McCoy pans out, a big if, and if Pinkston steps up, we might have a decent offense. I thought our defense was pretty good last year, but couldn't stand up with all of our offense's three and outs. They just wore down. Still, they were tough in the red zone. With a little offense, our defense will look better.

I say 8 wins, and maybe 10. We beat the Saints and Pats last year, we can win any game we play this year (except Pittsburgh in that stinking ketchup cesspool.)

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Legend
Legend
1 Sun, Sep 11 Cincinnati WIN

It is an odd feeling going into the first game thinking we SHOULD win...however, I had the same feeling last year.

2 Sun, Sep 18 at Indianapolis LOSS

This one could be ugly if Peyton is back.

3 Sun, Sep 25 Miami WIN

Miami may be the worst team in the league this season...well, besides the Bengals.

4 Sun, Oct 2 Tennessee LOSS

No way we can stop Chris Johnson...I was hoping his hold out would continue.

6 Sun, Oct 16 at Oakland LOSS

Oakland is better than some think...and a west coast trip is always difficult.

7 Sun, Oct 23 Seattle WIN

Their QB situation is a disaster... this is another game I think we are actually favored to win.

8 Sun, Oct 30 at San Francisco LOSS

49ers will be much improved. Stout defense and another west coast trip.

9 Sun, Nov 6 at Houston LOSS

Good luck stopping their offense. This one could also get ugly.

10 Sun, Nov 13 St. Louis WIN

This is a toss up for me ... pretty evenly matched, but I'll give us the win.

11 Sun, Nov 20 Jacksonville LOSS

Just a hunch, but we'll struggle again to bottle up MJD.

12 Sun, Nov 27 at Cincinnati LOSS

Because we always split with Cincy.

13 Sun, Dec 4 Baltimore LOSS

Tough one.

14 Thu, Dec 8 at Pittsburgh LOSS

This one will get ugly ... at Pittsburgh in December at night. Yikes.

15 Sun, Dec 18 at Arizona LOSS

Their offense will be in full swing by now, they will be contending for the playoffs, and it's an away game.

16 Sat, Dec 24 at Baltimore LOSS

Could get ugly.

17 Sun, Jan 1 Pittsburgh LOSS

Could get ugly.

Overall, I see 4-12. I know some people think the schedule is easier, but we really aren't that much better. Our depth is a huge concern, and I don't see our defense being able to stop many teams. Our offense will make strides, but we still lack a huge play maker for other teams to worry about.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think the 2011 season is about finding out whether McCoy is our guy, or whether we're still looking. It would provide a huge boost to the development of the team if we didn't have to use one (or both, in a trade) of our 1st round picks on the QB position. If McCoy performs as I think he's capable of performing, and if the defense is just average, I don't see why we couldn't go 8-8, or even 9-7. 7-9 would not be a big disappointment, but less than that would be. Mostly though, its all about cementing the QB position for the long haul, and being in position to improve other shortcomings with the 2012 draft. I'm hoping this is the year we transition from perennial loser/doormat to being "competitive-to-good".

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Let's remember we also need to root against the Falcons this year. In the unlikely event they miss the playoffs, we get a 1-20 pick in next year's draft! If McCoy's not our guy, that pick can be key for us moving up to get Luck.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think we're going to be in the Luck sweepstakes.

I really believe we have our guy in Colt McCoy.

I said leading up to the draft that I thought Colt was the best QB in that class. And I still believe that'll prove to be true.

(I got blasted for saying I wanted to draft Colt McCoy by a lot of posters, too)

C
Legend
Legend
C
To be in the Luck sweepstakes we can only win one or two games. Or have a team with an established franchise QB have the #1 pick.

No team that needs a QB will trade that #1 pick for anything we have.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

To be in the Luck sweepstakes we can only win one or two games. Or have a team with an established franchise QB have the #1 pick.

No team that needs a QB will trade that #1 pick for anything we have.

Say Carolina is at #1 again, and we're say #5. Packaging the #5, a #20 and a 2nd Rounder, would be VERY difficult to pass up.

But, let's hope this is all academic and we stick with Colt, giving him a fair chance.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Adam Schefter has said that if Carolina has the #1 pick next year they should still take Luck.

It makes sense that they would do that as you don't have to pay rookies exorbitant amounts of money anymore.

With that said it would be crazy for a team to take QB's at #1 overall in back-to-back years. It's not something I think we are going to see either because no one ever gets the #1 pick in back-to-back years.

I think the 49ers, Seahawks, Redskins, Raiders, and Broncos will be the main teams in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Adam Schefter has said that if Carolina has the #1 pick next year they should still take Luck.

It makes sense that they would do that as you don't have to pay rookies exorbitant amounts of money anymore.

With that said it would be crazy for a team to take QB's at #1 overall in back-to-back years. It's not something I think we are going to see either because no one ever gets the #1 pick in back-to-back years.

I think the 49ers, Seahawks, Redskins, Raiders, and Broncos will be the main teams in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Maybe even the Bengals..,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
The only problem with that is that they play the same soft schedule that we do.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The only problem with that is that they play the same soft schedule that we do.

LOL,, That's never stopped them from Flopping before

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
The Bengals game is a must win.

We have to win at home this year. If we lose to them, we're done.

I can't stress winning at home enough.....if you can't do that, forget it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I have us at 2-14, with wins vs Miami and Seattle.

The sched gets tougher next year too--the AFC West and the NFC East. This year is the AFC South and the NFC West.

The division is just too tough.

Cinci will rebound. I believe they will be a better team without Palmer and TO. Locker room issues and whatnot. I see them at 7-9 or 6-10. Rams, 49ers, Cards improved as well. So much for the easy schedule.

Balt and Pitt will be 12-4 or 11-5 as usual. Interestingly, I see them struggling to beat Cinci. I see Cinci splitting the series with them.

The Browns are as bad off as they were in the 1990 season. the O may be improved with McCoy but I'm not sold on the D. I could see them giving up 28-30ppg.

In '90 they gave up 462 points--a team record that still stands.

Go Browns!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2011 Season Thoughts and Predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard