Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns-left-guard-jason-pinkston-learns-the-ropes-as-a-rookie-1.236891

Browns left guard Jason Pinkston learns the ropes as a rookie
After injury to Steinbach, fifth-round pick exceeds expectations in new role

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published: September 25, 2011 - 12:13 AM

BEREA: Rookie Jason Pinkston can be found in the back left corner of the Browns’ locker room, hunched over a binder as he diagrams plays after practice.

Pinkston is focused. He briefly looks away from the stack of papers in front of him to quietly discuss the material with fellow offensive linemen Artis Hicks and Oniel Cousins. Then his attention returns to the playbook. His pencil begins to move again.

Offensive line coach George Warhop requires his players to take a written exam every Friday. Pinkston is usually at the center of study sessions.

“We’re over here working it out as a group and going over things,” Pinkston said. “We’re just preparing ourselves for Sunday.”

The Browns have needed Pinkston to learn at an accelerated pace. Veteran Eric Steinbach suffered a season-ending back injury on Aug. 17, about two weeks after Pinkston started his first NFL training camp.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Pinkston has replaced Steinbach as the team’s starting left guard.

When Pinkston was selected by the Browns in the fifth round (150th overall) of this year’s draft, he did not expect to become an immediate starter. When camp began, he was third on the depth chart at left guard, behind Steinbach and Pat Murray, who has since been cut.

“I was pretty surprised,” Pinkston said. “Whenever an injury happens, you’ve gotta be ready and step up and play. It kind of happened fast, so I just had to adapt, follow along with the older guys and just try to get better every day.”

Pinkston has accomplished his goals thus far. He is expected to start his third consecutive regular-season game when the Browns (1-1) host the Miami Dolphins (0-2) at 1 p.m. today.

“He went out and played in the preseason and didn’t blink,” Warhop said. “He had to start some games and didn’t blink. He just kept getting better. It hurts us not having Steiny for a lot of reasons. … But the young guy because of Steiny’s absence is gonna get better a lot faster, and he brings some stuff to the table.”

Warhop concedes Pinkston has exceeded expectations. Pinkston did not have a chance to benefit from minicamps or organized team activities because they were wiped out by the NFL’s lockout.

Pinkston played left tackle at the University of Pittsburgh and could have used offseason programs to ease his transition to guard. Instead, he was not permitted to report to the Browns’ training facility until late July. Less than three weeks later, Steinbach hurt his back.

“It’s really hard for any rookie to come in and start,” left tackle Joe Thomas said. “So you don’t really know what you’re gonna get until you throw them out there in the fire in a regular-season game. I think he’s been a real pleasant surprise because you never how they’re gonna react to adversity, but he’s done a great job of just being consistent and, no matter what happens, getting ready for the next play and doing his job. I think everybody’s been really happy with the way he’s played.”

Of course, Pinkston has not been perfect. Coach Pat Shurmur said Pinkston learned some lessons last Sunday in the Browns’ 27-19 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

“I thought he played OK last week,” Shurmur said. “There were a handful of plays he wants back. … That’s not easy duty when you’re a rookie, playing in the fray in there. I think he’s done a good job.”

Pinkston realizes he must continue to improve. At left guard, he is sandwiched between Thomas and center Alex Mack, both of whom played in the most recent Pro Bowl. In other words, the bar has been set high for the Browns’ offensive line.

Despite his inexperience, Pinkston is earning respect. With his thirst for knowledge, he’s proving he belongs.

“He’s really smart,” Thomas said. “He’s done a great job studying and preparing for each game, and his play has increased significantly from the first game to the second one. So we’re hoping that he continues to make that jump the rest of the season.”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I reeeeaaalllly like Tom Heckert.

That is all.

1st String
1st String
Imagine how good Pinkston will be next year. He is gaining unimaginable on the job experience this season. He may have a few ups and downs in 2011, but will be a stalwart on the line in 2012.

He's probably still trying to figure out how lucky he was to be drafted by the Browns this year. Weird how things happen sometimes.

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That play today where we ran left for good yards and he managed and owned 2 defenders was such a joy to watch..especially on the replay

Guy's already better than Lauvao....and that's not trashing Lauvao at all (although he gets owned in pass blocking often)....the OL gave Colt ALL DAY today and was efficient run blocking against a pretty stout MIA front 7

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think the more starts a lineman gets the more he is going to learn, and the more they can keep one group on the field together the better they are going to be able to adapt to new things.

I think on the play where Colt was looking to throw out of his own end-zone, I think the dolphins weren't even trying to rush, they looked like they were waiting on him to scramble.

It is hard to tell when an offensive lineman has a good day. Pretty good for a 5th round selection, for once.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Guy's already better than Lauvao...

I watched the short cuts yesterday especially watching the guards on offense and this is the truth. Pinkston was so good in the Miami game. Man, he's turning into a really good player quick. Lauvao, on the other hand, has way too many bad played mixed in with the good ones.

Legend
Legend
I wonder how much is Pinkston being between Thomas and Mack while Lauvao is simply between Mack and 'whatever'.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
maybe, but Pinkston is crushing his man one-on-one more often than not, and he also has shown ability to pass off/accept defenders with Mack and/or Thomas on stunts or going to the second level to hit LBs or what have you.

Legend
Legend
Cool, that's good news!

I haven't hardly paid any attention to him at all, yet, so it's nice to read that sort of evaluation

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Guy's already better than Lauvao...

I watched the short cuts yesterday especially watching the guards on offense and this is the truth. Pinkston was so good in the Miami game. Man, he's turning into a really good player quick. Lauvao, on the other hand, has way too many bad played mixed in with the good ones.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I saw too the last 2 games...there's a reason Pinkston is at LG and Lauvao at RG (LG having more "value" and responsibility)....both were very similar prospects and had a comparable "stock" gong into their respective drafts...Lauvao was somehwat a slight need-reach in a weaker draft and Pinkston a value grab in a very strong draft class....we traded up for both if I remember correctly, so Heckert really liked both of them...I absolutely LOVE that he has that "let's go get em" mentality, even in mid to late rounds....he's not waiting around and happy to select 1 of his pool of players, he understands and recognizes value. We finally have a real GM

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wonder how much is Pinkston being between Thomas and Mack while Lauvao is simply between Mack and 'whatever'.

^This

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

maybe, but Pinkston is crushing his man one-on-one more often than not, and he also has shown ability to pass off/accept defenders with Mack and/or Thomas on stunts or going to the second level to hit LBs or what have you.

And Lauvao is left alone on an Island because Hicks is giving way too much ground and also Lauvao is a better pulling guard. I believe that both he and Pinkston will be long term solutions at guard for us.

Shawn will be fine if you put him next to a RT and not a turnstile.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
BINGO

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
People keep mentioning that it takes 6 games for an Oline to gel, and we should see better play by week 6...

Well hows that effected if we keep switching out our RTs?

Are we still doing this? Cause I can't believe that would help with CONSITANCY.

Ya mean?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I don't know, but expect them to switch again this week. Pashos *should* be back this week unless their plan is to just continue to rest him through the Bye. He was practicing last week and was a late scratch, so I would think that we should finally see him this week.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

People keep mentioning that it takes 6 games for an Oline to gel, and we should see better play by week 6...

Well hows that effected if we keep switching out our RTs?

Are we still doing this? Cause I can't believe that would help with CONSITANCY.

Ya mean?

We are going to experience teething problems this season on our OL, but if we can hold down the fort at RT/LG this year and add another peace at RT next season, then I like the outlook for our group of starters on our OL for the foreseeable future.

The experience that both Lauvao and Pinkston will get playing this year can't be measured in wins and losses and you always see a big jump with rookies to their second season in the form of strength and conditioning too.

One thing with Pinkston that has got my eye is, that if he is left without a dancing partner, he looks for someone to smack. LOL and sometimes in his exuberance he knocks his own back (JT). I mean he really thumps them.

He has a little bit of a nasty streak in him.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 09/27/11 02:21 PM.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum LG Pinkston Learning Ropes As A Rookie

Link Copied to Clipboard