Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Osweiler - Flacco. Big with a rocket arm and huge upside.

that sounds about right. what's strange with Brock when watching him is that I first saw this gangly 6'8" guy at QB but by the end of watching him move I am just amazed at how fluid he is as an athlete.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Lets not forget that Scott Wright also said it was only a matter of time before TJ Ward blew out his knees and would be out of the NFL. Hardly very professional. I've called into his show/asked him on the foums/twitter and have yet to get a response. Pretty wimpy if you ask me. I used to really enjoy Scott's podcast but this year about half the show dedicated to Andrew Luck and which team he'll get drafted by or wheter he'll randsom himself the way that Eli Manning did. Not interested in trying to predict Luck's intentions. I want draft analysis/ Pretty much unlistenable anymore. I went from liking/respecting him to thinking he's a pompous idiot.

Shane on the other hand seems solid. Wish he'd break off from Scott and start his own thing.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I suppose my only question is how long do we go with Colt.

The answer it pretty simple. You go with him until you get a better replacement.

I mean that no matter what happens.. If Colt takes us to the Superbowl and wins it 3 times in the next ten years, you still go to the next guy if he's better than Colt. (better as defined by the FO not those on this board, me included)

Same is true if Colt doesn't get it ever.. you move on when you have another guy you think is better.

We don't have that guy on this team right now or I'd suspect he'd be starting over Colt this sunday if the FO felt as many on here do that Colt will never get it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Daman, I agree with your premise but it's not quite that simple. The guy that's potentially better than Colt isn't just going to appear out of the clouds above Berea so the staff gets to decide who to start, he's going to have to be drafted or traded for. And with that, you are giving up something else and if he's drafted high enough or if we give up enough in trade, then you are, by default, committing to this other guy to take over.

Assuming we would draft one, the question is going to become, we can use our high pick to draft an impact corner or a stud LB or a game changing WR or we can draft a new QB to compete with Colt... which one is more valuable. And to make that decision, we will have to ask a lot more questions..... Which one has the chance to make this team better and by how much and how quickly. What is Colt's ceiling? What is this new hypothetical QBs ceiling? How much better is Colt with a game changing WR?

Everybody agrees that it is extremely unusual for teams to win consistently in this league without quality QB play so of course having that is important but a lot of factors go into it..

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Let me preface by saying that I don't really like doing comps and I'm not really good at them either.

You're smarter than your sig may indicate though!

Baby steps...you're right...you're not good at them.

As one who is all knowing and all powerful may you stand, agape, as you read the brilliance below about to be bestowed upon you.

Luck - Troy Aikman
Jones - haven't seen enough of him quite frankly - awesome and humble
Barkley - Len Dawson, maybe at the pinnacle of his talent if he pans out
Osweiler - Dan McGuire ("now with shimmie!"), maybe that's doing the kid a disservice. I have to see more of his games.
Griffin - No comparable former NFL QB, does not have an NFL quality throwing motion or mechanics. I guess you could say Vick without the arm strength, velocity or spin rate.
Tannehill - see Jones...

I guess I don't watch too many Big 12 games. I saw a Baylor game because he was getting some love from Michael Vick. Not as impressed as I thought I'd be.

Fin

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Btw...you can change your sig if you like. you were a good sport. aloha

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've decided I like the sig. Keeping it for the foreseeable future.

Legend
Legend
I want to see Andrew Luck versus LSUs defense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes. One of the things that bothers me about Luck is how wide open his receivers always are. It's tough to accurate evaluate his accuracy when he's throwing through such huge windows.

Legend
Legend
It's one of the benefits of running a WCO against college defenses. They have no freaking clue how to cover guys running long complex routes. The whole point of a WCO is to confuse a secondary and keep them on their toes. Most teams are used to running against WRs that play in a spread.

It's why USC dominated for so long.

Legend
Legend
Luck makes throws Colt can't even dream of making.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes. One of the things that bothers me about Luck is how wide open his receivers always are. It's tough to accurate evaluate his accuracy when he's throwing through such huge windows.

Really?

I am watching this game and his receivers, even with a huge lead, don't seem that wide open.

In fact, the announcers just said that one thing that really sticks out about Luck is the fact that his receivers never seem to get great separation, and he still makes the throws in small windows.

I haven't seen a ton of Stanford's games, so I can't say if what I have seen in the few I have seen is the norm, or an exception. I am curious as to how many times you have seen Luck play?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A little miscommunication. I don't put much stock into comparing college players to pro players. What I was asking for was to compare these guys to each other. Rate them on arm strength, accuracy, smarts, athleticism, work ethic if you know about it etc.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Deep is right, everytime I have watched Luck, those receivers usually don't have anyone within 5 yards of them. This was the best D they have faced and it wasn't much.

Legend
Legend
OK.

I was just curious because the announcers said that the Stanford receivers rarely get much separation. They used that as a reason for raving about Luck so much.

It figures that I get to see a Stanford game for a change, and it's a blow out where they run for almost 700 yards. lol I have seen a few, but not as many as I would like to see. (on TV and on ESPN3 and such)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

That's how so many people were fooled by Brady Quinn.

The windows Quinn had in college were wide enough to cover up for his inaccurate throws. Those windows don't exist in the NFL, exposing the accuracy of guys who didn't really have it.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
When I watched Luck, he made some NFL throws all night.

He didn't have to do much because of his running game

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

He didn't have to do much because of his running game

this. do not evaluate Luck on a game where the defense said "we dare you to beat us with your running game." and then Stanford accepts and delivers on that challenge.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J / C....Detroit isn't helping the cause today...

Legend
Legend
Megatron TD to help. 20-26 now. Come on Detroit!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Who was the ball buster that tried to convice me that Mike Martin would be a 1st or 2nd round pick?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
"Luck" of the Draft update after Week 7

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
According to GBN Draft Reports site we would be picking 13th and 16th.

Great Blue North Draft Reports

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah something is very wrong with their SoS and rankings.

For example New England has played : Jets (4-3), Dolphins (0-6), Bills (4-2), Raiders (4-3), Chargers (4-2) and Cowboys (3-3). Their opponents total is 19-19 so their SoS should be .500 as I stated in my spreadsheet, but they have their SoS at .455??

Similarly we have played Cincy (4-2), Indy (0-7), Miami (0-6), Tenn (3-3), Oak (4-3) and Seattle (2-4). Our opponent totals are 13-25 for a SoS of .342 yet they have it as .461??

They also put their projected playoff teams in the final 12 slots (which is how it does work) but being so far from the playoffs mine are just ranked normally with disregard to playoffs. I'll probably switch to putting the playoff "final 12" the last month or so when it becomes more realistic to project playoff teams.

Either way, #12 and #19 for us currently is correct and not theirs.

Edit to add : The only thing I can think is that maybe they are using the teams entire 16 game schedules when calculating their SoS instead of just the teams they have actually already played?? I guess it's possible. Doesn't make much sense to me though since it's not a real "up to date" ranking. I just update mine every week. It's not that hard.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 10/25/11 12:42 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I give up hope. Indy and Miami look like they're intenionally tanking.

Tyler Bray for 2013!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Update after Week 8...

[Linked Image]

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
What....we have the same record as Philly & Dallas.....a better record than 10 other teams...

In my eyes, yes things havent gone as we wanted or planned, but folks Shurmur hasnt done a bad job with what he's worked with, rookie coach, new systems, lock out effected learning, and were 3-4 heck if we had kept Mangini we'd be elated to be 3-4, yes it's a close 3-4 but weve won a few we should have lost and lost a couple we should have won, so it's all balanced out.

Colt, how many other NFL teams have QB problems..Denver, Washington, Miami, Seattle, Should I keep going, Colt is not doing a bad job for really his fist year, add a WR and get him a running game colt will do fine,

Look 3-4 not great but better than some years, this coming year in the draft we add a few more pieces sign a couple FA pieces and in holgrams 3rd years we should be playoff hunting next year this time, I expect to be...

Legend
Legend
So assuming we squeek out another win or two, who on that list could pass us? I haven't looked at all of their schedules but....

I could see Carolina winning some games, heck they could easily have 4 wins right now.

I could see the Seahawks winning a few more just because of their schedule.

I could see the Redskins winning a couple more.

I could see Jacksonville winning a few more games.

That's about it, I think we will draft in the 8 or 9 range, I don't see anybody behind us that we are likely to pass.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Arizona, St. Louis, Carolina, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Seattle and Washington will all finish with better records than us.

I'll guess we pick 4th behind Indy, Miami, and Denver.

Unfortunately for us, those top 3 picks might go Luck, Barkley, Jones.

Legend
Legend
I think the STL, ARI, and JAX games decided weather we're top 5 or top 10...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Arizona, St. Louis, Carolina, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Seattle and Washington will all finish with better records than us.

Arizona is awful. Really awful. They may not win the rest of year, even against Seattle and St. Louis. I think we beat St. Louis and Jacksonville. That puts in the 5-9 range.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Who was the ball buster that tried to convice me that Mike Martin would be a 1st or 2nd round pick?

I made that statement a while ago, and I'd stand by it now. He has been a very good player in terrible Michigan defenses, and he is playing very well now in Mattison's defense.

That added to the fact that he will have a huge combine make him at least a 2nd rounder.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Falcon's remaining schedule:

At Indianapolis
New Orleans
Tennessee
Minnesota
At Houston
At Carolina
Jacksonville
At New Orleans
Tampa Bay

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not definitively saying it won't happen, but I would be shocked if Martin is a second-round pick.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I'm not definitively saying it won't happen, but I would be shocked if Martin is a second-round pick.

And I would be shocked if he wasn't. His production is picking up and he has always been a very solid player. He is also one of the strongest players in the country and is extremely athletic. He will have a huge combine.

I could be wrong, but I see no reason he won't be.

Legend
Legend
Simms thinks Luck doesn't have an NFL arm

Posted on: November 2, 2011 5:44 pm
Posted by Josh Katzowitz

People just can’t stop praising Andrew Luck.

Even if he throws a pick-6, people come back and say, “Just look at the way he responded after that interception. What a champion.” Hell, we talked plenty about Luck -- and if we’d rather have him or Cam Newton if we were starting a new franchise -- on today's CBSSports.com experts chat.

You have to look high and low to find anybody that has anything negative to say about Luck and his NFL prospects.

Luckily, former Giants star quarterback and current CBS/Showtime analyst Phil Simms has come to our rescue. He told SiriusXM radio that he has detected a flaw in Luck’s body of work.

“I,” he said, “just don’t see big time NFL throws.”

More transcription from PFT: “I’ve watched a lot of him. He never takes it and rips it in there. And you can say what you want but, man, you’ve got to be able to crease that ball every once in a while. … There’s not a lot of rotation on the ball and there’s not a tremendous amount of power. Not that you need to have that power arm. I’m not saying you’ve got to have that exclusively but, man, it sure helps when you can do that because there’s four or five plays a game it is about arm strength. And sometimes quarterbacks who don’t have it, they pass those plays up. Why? Well, they go, ‘I don’t know if I can make that throw,’ so they throw it short.”

One NFL scout, talking to CBSSports.com's Rob Rang agrees. Said that scout: "The reality is, Luck is a pretty special talent, but he's not Superman. I don't know that anyone could be as good as the hype he's getting right now."

You have to wonder how long the light emanating off Luck’s crown will continue to shine. Hardly anybody has a bad thing to say about him, and people are wondering how many draft picks he could command if the team that’s selecting with the No. 1 pick in 2012 decides to trade his rights – four first-rounders was the craziest hypothesis I saw.

But positive or negative, the Luck storyline will last for a very long time, through the Heisman presentation to the draft and all the way through training camp and into the 2012 season. That’s a long time for speculation about whether a quarterback can be a franchise savior. That’s also a long time for other people to pick at Luck and find his flaws. Whether they’re imagined or not.

If Skip Bayless were saying this, I wouldn't even read past the first sentence. However, Simms was a legit QB in the NFL....has 1-2 rings (not really sure if he considers the year he was injured as "his" even though he played a bit). Anyway, this is really the first comment I've read that doesn't paint him as a lock HOFer as of this moment.

Comments?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Theres always money into taking the opposite of the norm side of things.

Skip Bayless made a career out of it.

I'm not saying thats Simms is doing.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Comments?

Phil Simms needs to stop picking my brain

Legend
Legend
Ya, I don't think Simms is saying the opposite just to be "that guy". He doesn't come off like that.

And there's no way I'd listen to anything John Gruden says. He thinks ALL QBs are perfect, brilliant, special, amazing and great guys with perfect, brilliant, special and amazing talents. Ugh.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Yeah, Gruden loves anyone who plays the position if they come in and work with him.

I respect Simms' opinion, but I think that he's wrong. I'll trust the judgement of my own eyes from what I have seen as opposed to taking his word for it.

I do think that any QB would have trouble living up to his hype right now. He probably would have been better off coming into the league this year, with the strike looming ...... than waiting till next year when all eyes will be on him.

Of course he could completely flip the NFL on its head and return to Stanford for his senior season .........

Wouldn't that screw up every draft scenario imaginable?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Atlanta and the Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard