Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If I'm Indy's GM I pick Luck, period. Let him hold a clipboard like Rogers in GB. That team knows better than any other the value of a franchise QB.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Colts would take him. If he is indeed the top prospect, why wouldn't they?

The Colts are one of the better drafting teams in the League imo.

But no team is sucking for Luck no more so then the fish.

Lately the Colts have been terrible in the draft.

Their first round picks since 2005: Marlin Jackson, Joseph Addai, Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh (traded 2008 1st rounder to pick him in the 2nd in 2007), Donald Brown, and Jerry Hughes (too early to judge Castonzo). And if you look at their 2nd-round picks, it gets even worse.

Just a random thought as I rewatch the Stanford-USC game. David DeCastro is the best interior line prospect I've ever seen. He's going to be incredibly good in the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Draft order after Week 9 :

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Man, we suck at sucking

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Man, we suck at sucking

biggest thing we need is for Oakland to win a few more games and Atlanta to lose a few more games.

good thing Oakland is in the AFC West.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Man, we suck at sucking

Isn't that the truth. I'm still upset about winning that crapfest against Seattle. We'd be looking at pick #5 if not for that "win". That win alone is going to cost us at least 4 draft spots. Sad really.

In Browns fashion we'll beat two out of StL, Jax and Zona...so we end up with 5 wins (4 of which will be against teams with 3 or less wins) whoopie! Super Bowl! The end result is we're still epically terrible, yet we win JUST ENOUGH to screw ourselves out of better draft prospects so we can actually fix this thing.

Indy has this thing figured out. If you're gonna suck? Go all in. They'll be back in the playoffs next year AND will have secured their new franchise QB for the next 15 years who will get to learn behind Peyton.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

biggest thing we need is for Oakland to win a few more games and Atlanta to lose a few more games.

I'm confused. What does Oakland have to do with anything?

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I'm confused. What does Oakland have to do with anything?

the Bengals own their 1st round pick for the next 2 seasons. we need to get better and we need our division opponents to not get stronger.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ahh ok I see where you're going with that now. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Man, we suck at sucking

Isn't that the truth. I'm still upset about winning that crapfest against Seattle. We'd be looking at pick #5 if not for that "win". That win alone is going to cost us at least 4 draft spots. Sad really.

In Browns fashion we'll beat two out of StL, Jax and Zona...so we end up with 5 wins (4 of which will be against teams with 3 or less wins) whoopie! Super Bowl! The end result is we're still epically terrible, yet we win JUST ENOUGH to screw ourselves out of better draft prospects so we can actually fix this thing.

Indy has this thing figured out. If you're gonna suck? Go all in. They'll be back in the playoffs next year AND will have secured their new franchise QB for the next 15 years who will get to learn behind Peyton.

Told my buddy the other day I'd feel a lot better about this situation had we not beat the Colts and Dolphins, as weird as that sounds.

I still don't stand for sucking for Luck but just taking things for what it is, yeah it'd have been better had we lost those games.

Legend
Legend
Meh....you play to win the games. Even if we are finish with 4, 5 or 6....this team needs to win every game they can.

There's no guarantee Luck is the next Elway and even if he is, he might pull a Rivers and demand to be traded. So, we could go 0-16 and still miss out on him. And I don't want an 0-16 season, ever.

We'll get 6 good picks in the first four rounds. We can move up if we need to....or fix all other areas (LG, RG, RT, WR, RB, LB & CB).

Look at St. Louis. They have Bradford....and they still stink. We can't do anything with a franchise QB if the team around him stinks. Build the team, BPA and everything will fall into place.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Great point. 40+ super bowls were won without Andrew Luck and many more will be won without him. He's not the final piece to this team but it'd be so nice to have a prospect like that, lol.

Bottom line is we're going to have 2 chances to get good quality players in the first round. I really really like the talent pool in this upcoming draft too. I think there are a ton of guys who would look really good in a Browns uni.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just don't see Luck as the sure fire pick that everyone else does

Luck has ridiculous upside, but I think he's got the potential to be a flop, too.

I think Barkley is a safer pick.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I just don't see Luck as the sure fire pick that everyone else does

Luck has ridiculous upside, but I think he's got the potential to be a flop, too.

I think Barkley is a safer pick.

Wait, what?

I can understand if you think Luck isn't the surefire, slam dunk, #1 pick. (Have you been hanging out with Phil Simms?) But I can't understand why you would think Barkley is the safer pick. Luck can at the very least do everything Barkley can do and he is more mobile. That right there makes him better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been saying for months that I don't that so much of Luck's success comes outside of the pocket.

I don't like that he doesn't make NFL throws (I said that before the Phil Simms story came out, if you care to look back).

I don't like that Stanford runs so many designed rollouts, causing Luck to only read half the field and not have to go through progressions.

I think Luck is a little overrated. I think his hype comes too much from the media. I mean, Simms was right, when he throws an INT, all you hear is, "Did you see how Luck responded to that INT!?"

I'm not saying Luck won't be good. I'm not saying Luck can't do the things I just listed. I'm saying I haven't seen him do it.

I won't have access to the combine, or his pro days, so what I have to go off of is what I've seen on TV.

On TV, I've SEEN Barkley do the things that I haven't seen from Luck. I KNOW Barkley can do those things, because he's been asked to do it.

Can Luck? Maybe. Probably. But from where I sit, I can't see that.

S
Legend
Legend
S
It is the NFL, and I think the one thing I've always counted on is that if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Nothing is for sure. You're never as good as you look or as bad as you think you are. We look back at all the draft busts in the history of the league, and it's easy to laugh at a franchise for putting everything they had into him, but at the same time, it's easy to forget how great those players looked prior to them actually getting on an NFL field.

I like Luck a lot, I have watched just about all of his games, but I see Bryan's point. He's not for sure going to be a great QB.

I also like Barkley a lot. I like that he stays in the pocket, and plays in an offense geared towards prep for the NFL. No guarantee on him either, he's the exact same size as Mark Sanchez, who's overrated in my opinion and is the product of a great defense and a few nice weapons. I think Barkley ends up being a slightly better prospect once the dust settles in a few months.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I think Barkley ends up being a slightly better prospect once the dust settles in a few months.

Better than Sanchez or better than Luck?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think Barkley ends up being a slightly better prospect once the dust settles in a few months.

Better than Sanchez or better than Luck?

Sanchez, yeah. I can't see him being rated higher than Luck although I thought he matched Luck in a head to head battle a few weeks ago.

Sanchez was a top 10 pick and was projected so, I think Barkley is probably viewed as a top 5 right now? Maybe top 3 if the right teams are in place (STL not being in the 3)

With that said, if all I'm getting out of Barkley is another Sanchez, I'll pass. We can do better with that pick. And I'll wait until a real big time QB is available for us to pick at another time.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If we can't get Luck I think Barkley is a pretty good option as the second quarterback. But if he is a top three pick (which I think he is too) we won't have a shot at him either. Especially if the Seahawks are picking in front of us. Pete Carroll loves Matt Barkley. When Barkley was starting as a true freshman Carroll would openly blame other players for Barkley's mistakes.

(Also, the Dolphins would obviously take Barkley and they will be picking in front of us. And with the way Kevin "Corn on the" Kolb has played I don't see how the Cardinals wouldn't take a QB.)

Are Landry Jones, Nick Foles, Brandon Weeden, Case Keenum, or Ryan Tannehill worth a top ten pick? I say no. But then again everyone went QB crazy in the 2011 draft (Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder all went in the top 12).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have to get one of the top 3 QB's, in my opinion.

As for "If all I'm getting is another Sanchez, I'd pass"

I disagree. Look at our QB situation over the past 12 years. I'd be thrilled with even a Sanchez at this point.

But, I think Barkley >>>> Sanchez.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I disagree. Look at our QB situation over the past 12 years. I'd be thrilled with even a Sanchez at this point.

I wouldn't, Sanchez is trash and only looks good because of the talent around him

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The third being...Landry Jones?

Quote:

I don't think Sanchez has reached his ceiling, for whatever reason. I think they are very similar QB's. Also, I'm not sure Barkley leaves school. I think he will leave, but I don't think it is a sure thing. I know he would like to play in a BCS Bowl at USC or something better than the Emerald Bowl.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I disagree. Look at our QB situation over the past 12 years.

I don't want to go from bad to moderate. All moderate does is prevent us from trying to achieve "great" any time soon.

Quote:

I'd be thrilled with even a Sanchez at this point.

With our pass blocking all you would end up getting is a dirty Sanchez.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think Mark Sanchez would only look a tad better than Colt in our offense.

As far as you thinking Barkley is a better prospect than D. Sanchez? I tend to agree too. He just seems more big time when he makes his throws.

Aside from the physical/football stuff I think that says a lot about him that he stuck around at SC. Wasn't he allowed to leave USC after the sanctions without the whole sitting out a year transfer thing? I thought I heard that somewhere.

If that's true, I love it. Things got tough and he doesn't punk out and go for greener pastures.

I know Colt ain't like that, but how many other guys on that team right now wouldn't bolt for a better team if they had the chance?

Legend
Legend

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I wouldn't, Sanchez is trash and only looks good because of the talent around him

are you talking about him looking good in commercials or on the field?

my wife tells me he looks good in commercials, but I can tell you he does not on the field.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sanchez is like Reggie Bush... MUCH more hype than warranted.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just want a competent QB in the worst way.

I could name probably 8 Quarterbacks in the league I'd give up both first round picks for, another 5-6 I'd give up just one (the highest) first round pick for and another 5-6 I'd give up our 2nd first round pick for.

Overall, I'd give some combination of first round picks for probably 18-20 QB's in the NFL right now. Just for some competency at the position.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Sanchez or a Sanchez-type just isn't enough of an upgrade for me.

But i totally see where you're coming from.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 First Round Picks -

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Drew Brees
3. Tom Brady
4. Matt Stafford
5. Eli Manning
6. Ben Rothlisberger
7. Matt Schaub
8. Cam Newton
9. Matt Ryan
10. Phillip Rivers

#1 First Round Pick -

11. Tony Romo
12. Michael Vick
13. Jay Cutler
14. Carson Palmer

#2 First Round Pick -

15. Andy Dalton
16. Mark Sanchez
17. Jason Campbell
18. Mark Sanchez
19. Josh Freeman
20. Joe Flacco

There's 20 guys (in no order) I'd give up picks for.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm so sick of this QB mess we've had for the past 12 years.

Give me someone DECENT, that's all I ask, and I'll gladly give up first round picks, that we'll probably screw up anyway.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't remember where, but this morning I read that the Browns are the only team in the league that does not have a definitive answer at QB, RB, or WR. Not one guy capable of making a play.

Hell, the only playmaker we have is totally dependent upon the other team being dumb enough to kick him the ball.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
S
Legend
Legend
S
21. Shane Falco

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

#2 First Round Pick -

15. Andy Dalton
16. Mark Sanchez
17. Jason Campbell
18. Mark Sanchez
19. Josh Freeman
20. Joe Flacco

you really like Mark Sanchez to list him twice

Sanchez 57.5% 6.9YPA 13TDs 7INTs 1775yds
Colt 57.5% 5.7YPA 10TDs 6INTs 1764yds

Especially considering that Sanchez has had better OL play, a much better running game, and better overall WR play explain to me why it's worth giving up a 1st round pick for him?

Ditto Jason Campbell (and factor in his age too - he's not getting better)

Freeman may have been a 1 year wonder (hasn't been any better than Colt this year).

Flacco is playing nearly as bad as Colt this year (he has more good experience backing up his long-term potential than Freeman though)

Dalton has only been marginally better than Colt this year (though he's a rookie, so I see the reason for optimism with him)

--------------------------

we average 3.1 YPC in the running game. Only Tenn is as pathetic running the ball as we are this year. Colt is taking a ton of hits when we go to pass as well as blitzers are coming through unblocked.

I know Colt has played poorly and alot is on him too (he's gotta hit those 5-10yd passes to the WR/TE in stride for god-sakes). But, this is silly to think it's all on him.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

21. Shane Falco

Charlie Whitehurst IS Shane Falco FYI. I said it during the entire Seachickens game...that we could lose to Shane Falco.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Wait I thought he was Jesus Christ?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Wait I thought he was Jesus Christ?

Naw, that's Tebow

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sanchez has played Dallas, Jacksonville, Oakland, Baltimore, New England, Miami, San Diego, Buffalo.

We have played Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Miami, Tennessee, Oakland, Seattle, San Franciso, Houston

Sanchez has played better competition, has his team in 1st place, and isn't putting up his numbers in garbage time against defenses that have already started thinking about what they're gonna say in the post game interview.

Stats are for losers.

I'll take Sanchez any day of the week over Colt McCoy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Stats are for losers.

Only if people are too stupid to use the right stats and use them correctly.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I don't think you can completely throw away stats, but I see them as more of a guideline, and not the law.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I'll take Sanchez any day of the week over Colt McCoy.

And with no running game, a porous o line, and no receivers - he'd do pretty much the same as colt.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Atlanta and the Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard