Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
R
Quote:

Just an observation, RNC, but this seems a little doom-and-gloomy to me. If a guy is too sick to play due to strep on game-day, it's not hard to imagine that Hillis wasn't 100% today. I also gotta say I've no problem limiting his carries. He's a bruiser who is likely to wear down, so saving some effective carries for later in the year while simultaneously getting what is in essence a rookie some reps is fine by me.

I seriously doubt Hillis won't be a Brown for the rest of his effective career.

If you read this board even after wins, it always seems like gloom and doom. I guess 12 years of crappy football will start to rub a guy the wrong way. Just saying..besides, we are the Cleveland Browns. Nothing surprises me at this point.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Someone has mentioned they are on video. I am assuming on the main site but I am not sure.

web page

He sounds frustrated. He sounds like a guy that knows he can plan and his team is struggling and he is watching instead of helping. It doesn't sound like mutiny, he just sounds like a frustrated guy that wants to be on the field but wasn't during a pretty bad loss...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He sounds like it is frustrating to watch a loss. Gee sounds a lot like every one on this board.

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree. I saw him as no more frustrated with anything other than the loss. I think too much is being read into it. Neither his choice of words nor his facial expressions shows me a guy who feels slighted, disagreeable or frustrated with the staff. On the contrary, he seemed sincere in his comments.

Watching the interview again I transcribed some of it...

Peyton there's a lot of questions about when guys are in the games and personnel usage and plays and all that kind of stuff, is there any frustration with maybe some of the line-ups that have been out there in certain situations?: "You know you have to take that up with coaches. You know that nothing I can predict. I have no control over that anyway. I think you have to take up with the coaches with that."

Were you nicked up at all? Were you healthy?: "I was fine. I'm healthy. My body feels great. I'm just [right on?] the side [waitin'?] my spot, chances and opportunities and try to get things done when I can."

You're kind of a guy who gets into a rhythm when you're in there; when you're out of there for a while is that tough for you to come back in an turn it back on?: "You know I've always found myself as a guy who can get in a rhythm and get things done. I can agree with that. But with the game plan and what the coaches represent--you know presented out there that's what they wanted to go with so as being a player you follow the coach's orders and do what he tells us to do and you know you respect that."

I will say that the first question sounds one heck of a lot like a reporter trying to bait him into continuing on with the implication of the question. The last question seems to be doing the same. Hillis didn't bite on it either time.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the whole interview was baiting him to say something. Just like Moore, he was made to sound as if he was calling out the coaches, but I don't think that was what was happening.

Writers love to stir things up, it gets people to read their columns. IMO the whole notion being presented here is bull.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He did mention dropped balls. I think that was him asking for his starting role back.

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Hillis was not a Holmgrem guy

Heckert traded for him, Heckert is a Holmgren guy. Therefore by the transitive property Hillis is Holmgren's guy.

Why would they be working on a contract extension if the didn't want to keep him?

Worst. Post. Ever.

I disagree.

You may be right, but Mangini may have been the driving force behind the trade.....but anyway...

If i was Hillis and I was getting 10 carries a game, I would go someplace else.

I hope he leaves.....he's too good to allow a coach with a different offensive idea to ... his career away.

I am not putting either coach or player down.....just saying you have to have a match, and Hillis and Shurmer aren't a match.

My personal opinion is we aren't using Hillis properly....he needs 25 carries a game minimum....if we aren't going to do that, Hillius needs to say thanks, but no thanks, I'll move somewhere else.

That's how I would advise him.....and exactly where I think it is at...Hillis would be crazy to sign up with a team willing to give him 10 cvarries a game..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
And if that is the case I could unfortunately see him ending up with any of our division rivals as all of them (cincy included) understand the importance of a hard hitting ground game.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
They are on the Plain Dealer's website.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
as it looks right now...I doubt Hillis is a Brown next year...why should he?

If your not going to get him the ball, your not going to run him, and your not going to involve him...why should he stick around?

Hillis has signed no extension....and at this point...I don't look for him to sign it....

Hillis is the epitome of Cleveland Browns football...last year was no fluke...the dude was a BEAST in Denver when he actually got the chance to play a few games...Hillis is the real deal....he is the best RB we have had here since the days of Byner....since the days of Kelly.....he is a bona fide back....but he is not being used.

Hardesty? what i have seen of Montario....i don't like it...he runs to upright and he lacks power. He can't run anyone over, he is not very fast, and he has stone hands....

Hardesty will be shelved by week 10 and done for the year...and after the season is over...Hillis will be bolting for either Dallas(with Rob Ryan) or he will be going to NY Jets land (Rex Ryan reccommended by his brother Rob and played against him) and Hillis will actually get the ball.

Hillis is my favorite player on this team, and i want to see him do well...but i also don't want to see his career ruined because the coach won't use him.....there no sense of Hillis staying here if were not going to feature him as a back and give him the ball...theres no point.....he would be well served to leave...and i wouldn't blame him....

The tone i seen from Hillis...i very highly doubt he signs that extension....a lot of things would have to change for him to sign that extension....big changes...like the coach actually really using him.....

Hillis holds all the cards now...if we are not going to use him...a team like NY, Dallas, even Pitt would take him in a minute (Hillis is an upgrade over Mendenhall, runs much harder and is a better pass catcher, Hillis would be embraced and loved in Steeler land not seen since the days of Bettis and we would have to deal with playing against him twice a year) he will be a Fa we can't stop him.

were making a big mistake here...a big one....

nope under current conditions...no way Hillis signs that extension...no way no how....

would you stick around if the coach isn't going to give you touches? the guy just wants to play and help his team....thats all he wants...but through 4 games he has hardly been given a chance....he is the reason we even beat the Colts anyways.....

so yeah right now...its not looking good for Hillis to sign an extension and i don't blame him one bit if he walks at seasons end...we have done everything we could to alienate him....

Legend
Legend
Why is everyone so damn quick to jump on this? It was one game after coming back from an illness where he admittedly lost 12 lbs. We rested him up yesterday, and I'll bet that it's nothing more than that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
How do you know the contract situation doesn't look very good? You don't know anything. You're not Heckert, Holmgren, or Hillis. How does everyone not know that Hillis was taking it easy because of the illness in past weeks?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

How do you know the contract situation doesn't look very good? You don't know anything. You're not Heckert, Holmgren, or Hillis. How does everyone not know that Hillis was taking it easy because of the illness in past weeks?

ummm...he didn't take it easy when he played with broken ribs last year

that illness was nothing to Hillis...he said it in his presses conference:

"I feel great, im healthy, my body feels good"

the dude should have played and he wanted to play...period....

Hillis should have played and got the rock....he felt fine....The Rhino is a tough dude...he played with broken ribs and a messed up hamstring last year....llsing 12 pounds is nothing...he will gain it back in a few days.....the dude wanted to play...hand him some liquids and let him tote the rock....thats what he wanted to do....

Ok well when Hillis only gets 12 carries after the bye what will the excuses be then?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How does everyone not know that Hillis was taking it easy because of the illness in past weeks?

Well he did say he felt fine. I am sure we will see more Hillis and less Hardesty after the bye. No need to panic about him yet. Holmgren and Heckert wont let him go.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ok well when Hillis only gets 12 carries after the bye what will the excuses be then?

If Hillis only gets 12 carries against Oakland, the excuse will have to be something like "He's dead" or "His leg fell off". He was being rested this week, despite what the media's trying to make of it.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Hypothetically, if you're going to rest him, why not deactivate him for the game and play a player who's fully healthy?

Legend
Legend
Hillis had his normal impressive burst and power throughout the game. I don't think that he had any kind of health issues for this game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Hillis in limited action is still a better option than the alternatives.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I really hope that our coaching staff is not taking that same attitude. If they're going to use a player, I expect them to use that player until he's unable to go any longer.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I find it odd that he said ask "The Coach", and not ask "Coach Shurmer".....just refering to him as "The Coach" to me is a sign of problems....maybe its nothing but that stood out to me. It seems like their isnt much respect towards his coach.

i think ur reaching now..

Not reaching at all....just reading between the lines! Like I have said I like Hillis and think he is right to be upset, but not taking it to the media like that. Coach, or Coach Shurmer wouldnt have stood out to me....the way he said you need to talk to The Coach did.

Its like he is blamming everything on Shurmer.....JMO!

You are not reading between the lines,you are recieving signals from outer space.
When he comes out in a jersey with "He Hates Me" on the back,that would be the time to start talking about discontent.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Rod Smart?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

Down 21-6 handing the ball off to hillis isnt gonna get us back into the game quickly, our defence couldnt stop the titans we had no choice but to pass, Hillis lack of carriers wasnt due to anything but our defence not being able to stop the titans and keep the game close to where we can pound them with hillis.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

j/k

Down 21-6 handing the ball off to hillis isnt gonna get us back into the game quickly, our defence couldnt stop the titans we had no choice but to pass, Hillis lack of carriers wasnt due to anything but our defence not being able to stop the titans and keep the game close to where we can pound them with hillis.

Whats the difference of Hillis running it for 5yds Colt throwing it for 5yds or Hardesty dropping it for no yds?

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Just saw a blurb on espn where Hillis's agent says his client feels underappreciated and is effected by his contract negotiations. Also that the agent advised Hillis not to play with strep.

Looks like there could be more to the story of why Hillis wasn't playing with Strep and didn't play much this past weekend.

I'd like to know how much money he's asking for. He's a solid guy but backs like him have a finite shelf life. While he is a punisher between the tackles, is a good blocker, and has amazing soft hands for a guy his size, he does wear down and is a horrendous fumbler. He's probably over-rated by many.

It's also disappointing to see a guy that has quickly gained cult-status around here apparently sulking.

Don't be one of those guys, Peyton. Just play football and let the money come.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Probably a little of both but I would bet lots of money his agent is 85% behind the under-appricated part. I'm sure he told his client he was the Madden cover boy and it was time to cash in..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

and is a horrendous fumbler

Really?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
He's had 9 fumbles with 6 lost between last year and a couple of game this year.

It's a problem. It's also one I know that he has said he spent all off-season working on.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Just saw a blurb on espn where Hillis's agent says his client feels underappreciated and is effected by his contract negotiations. Also that the agent advised Hillis not to play with strep.

Not to minimize what the agent may say but they're known for stirring the pot in negotiations. A little sumpthin'-sumpthin' to help the FO look bad.

As for playing with strep, my son is very susceptible to strep. Had it many, many times. He just had it last week. I had it once myself about 7 years ago. At one point it hurt at the top of my chest/lower throat just to breathe. I couldn't imagine hard running around like that.

Add in a high temp and I don't see playing pro football very well. In the first few days, even with antibiotic treatment, you're contagious as hell. The doctor always kept my son out of school for two or three days for that very reason. He's 23 now and as I said had strep last week.

So should he have suited up and made a go of it? Maybe. That would certainly avoided all the talk about it and would have left the contract considerations out of it as well. All players play hurt though they're not expected to play injured. There's a difference. Where does strep belong in those considerations. I remember Kevin Mack sitting on the bench throughout The Fumble game with intestinal flu or stomach cramps or some such thing.

So should Hillis have suited up and set on the bench? Probably, by the way it looks now. If his agent advised him to go home I suppose a lot of players would have gone home given the circumstances.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Listening to some of the players talk in interviews... they admit they haven't doubted Hillis missing the game do to the strep... they mention that they heard the rumors through the media...

Chris Speilman said on whbc yesterday that his sons have had it and it didn't stop them from going outside and playing... I wanted to ask him if they were out on the field getting knocked around by 300 pound guys...

I find it funny that people in the non professional sports field don't go into work with it...nor would I ...that stuff hurts bad..to me at least...

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Listening to some of the players talk in interviews... they admit they haven't doubted Hillis missing the game do to the strep... they mention that they heard the rumors through the media...

Chris Speilman said on whbc yesterday that his sons have had it and it didn't stop them from going outside and playing... I wanted to ask him if they were out on the field getting knocked around by 300 pound guys...

I find it funny that people in the non professional sports field don't go into work with it...nor would I ...that stuff hurts bad..to me at least...

I agree I have've had strep as well its not a fun thing. As mentioned above its highly contagious and when I first saw the report I thought he was sent home because we dont need the whole team coming down with it.
Its a non-issue in my mind and just the media looking to find something to talk about.
Dumbest question in Shurmurs interview yesterday was when it sounded like Phelps asked "did he look sick?" Coach said YEAH HE WAS SICK.

Now agents do this all the time, Cribbs did it, no one said a word just pay the man?

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Well, if it was on ESPN, then it must be true. And since his agent said it, that makes it doubly true!

I find it very hard to believe. Is it possible? Sure.

But you're telling me that Shurmur doesn't want to play one of our best players because of a contract?

It makes me mad enough that Shurmur doesn't play him for whatever reason. If it was because of his contract, then I'd want Shurmur run out on a rail right now.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It just came to me...it's not Shurmur...it's not the strep...it's not the contract...it's the Madden curse...

A
Legend
Legend
A
Strep is contagious right up until 24 hours after starting antibiotics. At least according to every doctor I've been involved with. (which, in fairness, is only doctors, but probably 8 nurses as well).

Now, I don't know when he was diagnosed with it (friday? Thursday? Saturday? Sunday morning?)

My daughter used to get it a lot. A lot a lot. I could always tell - the way her voice sounded. "Yup, hon, you have strep. We'll get it tested tomorrow and get the antibiotics. Kiss".

I used to get it a lot - a really lot lot - just like my daughter did.

Point being, the "contagious" thing is gone after 24 hours on antibiotics.

Last point - as I mentioned earlier in this thread (or in a different one - not sure), unless strep is more severe for adults - it's not a lay you out, down for the count kind of thing. Antibiotics - rest for a few days - good to go. AGAIN - I have never had it as an adult - so it might be worse for adults.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
of course...but you werent allowed to say it...now its officially on! THANKS A LOT!

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
gosh sorry... I had this urge to be like a media person... and tell it like it is...

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
well now you jinxed the season...great

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol.....

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
The thing I can't get is why people don't understand how serious it is even if only for a short time.

Some people in this country (and maybe on this thread) can't go a day without missing a meal. When you have strep it is physically painful to drink water let alone eat real food because your throat is so dry. I had it 3 years in a row within the same week of itself in my last years of high school and first year of college. I tried eating protein shakes / boosts / and even milkshakes for calories and they actually stick to the side of your throat and sting.

It's like having a chancre or a canchre sore (spelling?) but having a bunch of them on your throat.

Now imagine going a few days where it literally pains you to eat. Imagine how weak you can get without food and imagine not being able to eat a meal or two then even working out.

He lost over 10 pounds because he couldn't eat and people want to question him for that? That's what I hate. It sucks that he missed the game. But WOW ... anyone here try fasting on nothin but bread and water and then go work out as hard as you can in a gym once you have lost 10 pounds in only a few days.

Some people just scratch at anything for a story.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
The thing that makes the Hillis story worse is the fact that Mack was out there with a damn near burst appendix.

That being said, I would rather a guy who feels that he simply cannot play stay home. I don't think he helps the team.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Peyton Hillis Diminished Role

Link Copied to Clipboard