Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
This one has been pissing me off since the "story" broke.

"Inside sources say"..... say the media.
Other reports quote players as having said they got the whisperings of Hillis' discontent "from the media'...

Yup... the old 'snake swallowing its tail' scenario- yet again.

...You see why I'm so frustrated at all this? As if Our Beloved Team hasn't had enough of this tripe from the national media, we have to deal with it from our own 'local buncha yokels'.....

When Damanshot talks about hating the media, I'm sure that THIS is the kind of crap he's talking about. It doesn't even come close to legitimate journalism... and nowadays, news outlets are so pressed for readership they'll allow speculative dredge like this to be included in a real story for sake of readership.

Now, we have a media-made monster with a life of its own, dominating 4 straight questions in a row during Pat Shurmer's most recent presser.

It's evil. And insidious. AND.. it gets in the way of good facts and info that the fans want. Now, this story has become a huge distraction- if not for the team (which it could be), but for the fanbase that wants to be informed with real facts and data.

[shakes head]

the facts:

1. Peyton Hillis contracted a highly communicable disease, and was sent home from a Thursday practice for rest and fluids.
2. Peyton Hillis took antibiotics, the requisite downtime, and showed up to play on Sunday
3. Peyton Hillis was checked out by the staff, and it was determined that he wouldn't (or t least shouldn't) play. A decision was made.
4. Against the Miami Dolphins, Peyton Hillis didn't play. (The Cleveland Browns won that game).
5. Peyton Hillis returned to the team ready to play, was game-planned for... and was became victim of a blown-out game plan- once we fell behind by double-digit points.

[speculation]: The use of Montario Hardesty instead of Peyton Hillis in that losing cause was quite possibly a precaution against having a less-than-100% Peyton Hillis on the field.

Pleeeease.... put your rabies-induced fandom aside, folks... and connect the obvious dots, instead of jumping to conclusions that are at best speculation, and at worst- manipulation.

This, IMHO, is nothing more than yet another media construct- designed to sell papers, get webhits, and stir up controversy where none should exist.

The problem with media-constructed rumors is that they need no basis in fact to exist, they needn't the weight of legitimacy to gain a life of their own, and they never need to be defended... instead, those involved are required to 'legitimize' themselves against the rumors, which can never actually be accomplished, as long as a preponderance of weak minds wish to entertain those rumors. To even fight against them is a loser's proposition. That's why I hate this stuff so much. It takes energy and legitimacy away from the real truth, which weak minds aren't interested in anyway.

"Mr Congressman, Mr. Congressman.... when did you stop beating your wife?"

FWIW, I'm glad Peyton 'kicked it up to the coaches' when he was asked. It was the right thing to do- since the question involved decidion-making that he wasn't involved with. Further, I think Pat handled it about as well as anyone could, when he answered with his "these are the facts" type responses.

Is there a more rabid, sleazy, obvious and transparent SportsMedia corps than the Cleveland base? Maybe only in NY and LA.....

[/rant]

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pey|on Hillis' agent tries to cool illness controversy by pouring gas on it: Bud Shaw's Sports Spin
Published: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 12:01 AM Updated: Thursday, October 06, 2011, 12:16 AM
Bud Shaw, The Plain Dealer By Bud Shaw, The Plain Dealer

Hillis carried just 10 times for 46 yards, leading to questions about contract maneuvers or whether he was in coach Pat Shurmur's doghouse for missing the Miami game with strep throat. Shurmur says neither is the case and Hillis should see more playing time.

Peyton Hillis collects agents the way he used to collect rushing yards and touchdowns playing for Eric Mangini.

His third agent in a year's time, Kennard McGuire, spoke up for Hillis in an interview with the Associated Press on Wednesday but unwittingly did him no favors.

McGuire says he advised Hillis not to play on Sept. 25 against Miami out of concern for his health and his career. He said the decision wasn't connected to the stalled contract talks between the Browns and the Madden cover boy.

There's one perception problem right there. If McGuire did urge him not to play and had the best of intentions in doing so, it's no surprise if Hillis' absence is still interpreted as being connected in some way to his unhappiness over his contract situation -- either by fans or by his teammates.

McGuire is not a doctor and doesn't play one on TV either.

For some, it begs the question: Why would a player need an agent to advise him not to play?

Basically, McGuire's attempt to defend his client just draws attention to the fact it was Hillis who decided not to play.

It certainly doesn't help make the story go away during a bye week. And especially following a Sunday when center Alex Mack played on after needing IV fluids, and a day before undergoing an appendectomy.

McGuire says the contract situation is not affecting Hillis' professional approach to his job. I believe that. He told the AP he had been in "constant contact" with the Browns but the two sides aren't close to an agreement.

"He's human, of course it's on his mind," said McGuire. "Would it affect him being a pro? No. Does he feel underappreciated? Yes. He's human. We all in life have a perceived value of our worth now, but we do believe that he's deserving of something that mirrors his production of last year."

Hillis and the Browns started as a romance novel. Now it's a mystery complete with ESPN reports of unnamed players whispering he didn't force himself into the huddle against the Dolphins because he's feeling unloved.

I hold these Hillis truths to be self-evident:

• Pat Shurmur's misuse of Hillis Sunday and reliance on Montario Hardesty was not punishment for Hillis missing the Miami game. That's crazy.

• Hillis was sick enough to miss the Miami game.

• The Browns aren't crazy to think Hardesty has a higher ceiling than Hillis.

• After injury wiped out Hardesty's rookie season, the Browns need to find out about him.

• Once Hardesty dropped his third pass, the Browns needed to take a break from finding out about him.

• Hillis' contract situation makes finding out about Hardesty even more urgent.

• I haven't seen a Browns back run as impressively as Hillis did last year since . . . Reuben Droughns.

• On the free-agent market, Hillis would not be a dime-a-dozen back. But he wouldn't come close to breaking the bank.

• Hardesty's injury history increases Hillis' value.

• The West Coast offense could prolong Hillis' career but he needs to see how he fits in and Shurmur hasn't shown him that yet.

• All running backs are not created equal. Ones who seek out collisions don't last as long.

• Hillis and the Browns belong together. May I suggest a bye-week "It's Just Lunch" rendezvous?

web page

Last edited by Mourgrym; 10/06/11 08:47 AM.
Legend
Legend
I don't understand why this is even an issue.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT A GUY WITH STREP THROAT PLAYING?

Anyone who has had strep throat (I'm talking diagnosed, not just some sore throat) will tell you it is all you think about when you have it. Playing running back (or any position in the NFL) requires a lot of focus. You cannot focus when you cannot swallow! One fumble loses us that game. Hillis did right by the team and by himself not playing it that game.

Sometimes being tough is knowing when you're going to help the team and when you're going to hurt it.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Today is a banner day!

Never, during all my years of reading columns by Cleveland sportswriters, have I ever.....EVER.....read a more direct, more accurate, and frank article about a player and/or a situation.

I usually think Bud is a goof who spends more time trying to be high-brow in a blue-collar city. Yet this article sums it all up in a nice, perfect package.

Great job, Bud. I couldn't have said it better myself.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

• After injury wiped out Hardesty's rookie season, the Browns need to find out about him.

• Once Hardesty dropped his third pass, the Browns needed to take a break from finding out about him.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
O
Legend
Legend
O
General Response:

Mack's appendix issue was a surprise that was discovered on Monday. People are comparing Mack's issue with Hillis' issue.

Does anyone really believe that Mack would've wanted and/or been allowed to play if they all knew about his condition? That's a big, fat no.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think the biggest bummer in this whole story is that we dont HAVE to extend Hillis' contract now. This was a good faith effort from the Cleveland Browns FO that has turned into a contentious negotiation because of the media. Which is complete and utter BS.

We wanted to lock this guy up, and keep him in town beyond this and not let him get to FA, and we still are. There hasnt been anything saying negotiations arent going smoothly, just that they arent done yet because they havent come up with an agreement.

Get off our FO media, theyre doing the best job of any FO we've had in our time here. Theyre doing it the right way. Theyre extending guys who are here already. when was the last time we negotatied an in-season extension with ANYONE...usually its that we re-signed him on a 1 year tender and at some point work out a contract.

Now we extend a few guys, and since we havent hillis yet though we're working very hard on it, He's not playing and feels underappreciated. Jesus, Hillis should dump this agent (his 3rd in as many years) and get a new one thats going to do a better job painting him in a good light with his guys. Go back to the one that helped bring him to Cleveland that guy did a damn good job.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
The Cleveland Plain-Dealer's Tony Grossi believes Peyton Hillis will request a trade ahead of the October 18 deadline.
Grossi says contract talks between the Browns and Hillis are "not going well," and that a trade request is likely the "next step." It's hard to imagine the Browns cutting ties with one of their few offensive weapons, though it's become clear they have little interest in inking their feature back to a lucrative long-term extension. While Hillis and his third agent in four months desperately struggle to maintain leverage, the Browns have little motivation to act on a trade request even if Montario Hardesty looms as a potential replacement.

Legend
Legend
Link, please.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer's Tony Grossi believes Peyton Hillis will request a trade ahead of the October 18 deadline.
Grossi says contract talks between the Browns and Hillis are "not going well," and that a trade request is likely the "next step." It's hard to imagine the Browns cutting ties with one of their few offensive weapons, though it's become clear they have little interest in inking their feature back to a lucrative long-term extension. While Hillis and his third agent in four months desperately struggle to maintain leverage, the Browns have little motivation to act on a trade request even if Montario Hardesty looms as a potential replacement.

Lol have to love the bye week. Tony believes this will be the case because he has nothing to write about for the next 2 weeks. This whole week has been nothing but lets make stuff up.
Locker room is mad at Shurmur. Players are mad a Hillis. Etc. Almost not worth reading some of this stuff.

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 10/06/11 07:10 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Madden curse strikes, this time instead of a blown out knee, it may be a swollen head.

Legend
Legend
Wow. That was the biggest load of BS I've seen in a long time. My low view of Grossi has definitely gone down a few more notches.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Actually, that's pretty much standard operating procedure in a contract negotiation anymore. (See Cribbs, Josh)

Hillis' agent will say something like "If the Browns don't want to pay my client, they might as well trade him to a team that will appreciate his talents, and get something in return as well. My client is a well respected and capable football player. He is beloved by the fans for his hard nosed, never say die attitude. He will never let the fans down, but unfortunately the team is letting him down. Their contract offer is insulting at the very least. My client evidently has gone from being the face of the franchise, to being considered to be its backside. We would like to be traded to a team that will appreciate my client's talents and involvement with the fans and community, and we would like to see the team get something in return, because frankly, Peyton loves this team, even if they don't seem to love him back."

It is standard anytime there is a contract negotiation in the middle of the season that goes bad. I don't see that Grossi is out in left field on this one.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I agree with your primary point however we have not heard anything like that out of his agent or him. This is just an attempt by Grossi to create a story like Roger Brown used to do.
Hope ESPN picks up on it then run with it asking Hillis over and over is he really leaving looking for a Trade.
Then the Coach/GM whats going on with Hillis is he really seeking a trade...

Hillis has never said hes unhappy and has also stated that the contract isnt affecting him. I think he knows if he hits FA he will get picked up and that is that.

EDIT - Also want to add that Cribbs started in the offseason and never asked for a trade said he would not hold out, He said he wanted an extension. They went public with it yeah close to training camp I believe.
Hilllis has done none of that in fact it was Holgrem that said the Browns were trying to extend Hillis.

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 10/06/11 08:15 PM.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
For the life of me, I can't understand why people can't accept the obvious (Damanshot excluded ). Cripe, the guy had strep, missed a game and lost 12 lbs. He had limited playing time the following week. Just where is the frickin' controversy?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The agent said he advised Hillis not to play against Miami. Then Hillis misses the game. Doesn't really matter if Hillis was to sick to play or not. When the agent opened his mouth it was no longer about anything other than contract squabble put above playing for the team. Apparently it is how some of the team viewed it as well. Fair or not perception is reality in these situations.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
right on, JFANENT, right on. i keeping searching for the missing bit of info that makes this nonsense make sense. i guess i can stop looking.

Browns fans are born with it...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. Hillis agent being the deciding factor is the rotten part in all of this.....we'll see how this all plays out, but as I said earlier won't suprise me if he's traded for the right price

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

The agent said he advised Hillis not to play against Miami. Then Hillis misses the game. Doesn't really matter if Hillis was to sick to play or not. When the agent opened his mouth it was no longer about anything other than contract squabble put above playing for the team. Apparently it is how some of the team viewed it as well. Fair or not perception is reality in these situations.

yeah I still cant figure out why the agent said that because it doesnt really fit in the timeline. Im sure the first person Hilllis called when he got to CBS was his agent. Man Im sick what should I do?
Agent says this stuff a week and a half after the fact. That fits like a square peg in a round hole to me.

I could be totally wrong but my BS detector is sounding off on the whole situation.

I wonder if Mack called his agent and he said No your good play.

EDIT-want to add that from every report I heard THE TEAM sent him home on Friday. That means that the Team Doctors had looked him over and he was sick and sent home.
I think thats why Shurmur keeps saying "From my understanding" because the Team Doctors told him "Hillis is sick".

Last edited by NickBrownsFan; 10/06/11 08:39 PM.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Grossi is also the guy that broke the story that "The Chin" was going to replace Romeo Crennell.

Anyway, I'll believe this when I see it;

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

For the life of me, I can't understand why people can't accept the obvious (Damanshot excluded ). Cripe, the guy had strep, missed a game and lost 12 lbs. He had limited playing time the following week. Just where is the frickin' controversy?

I've accepted that from the beginning, why the need to be "smackful"? Or is it "Smackish"

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
smackramonious

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
R

LOL, for the "worst post ever" seems like it is getting some love.

I sure as hell hope Hillis doesn't ask for a trade though. He is the guy Cleveland needs to run the ball.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He is the guy Cleveland needs to run the ball.

Hows he going to do that, if say, we never run the ball?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

He is the guy Cleveland needs to run the ball.

Hows he going to do that, if say, we never run the ball?

Touche! Well played collect your prize on the way out the door.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
It feels like the Browns are coming unglued. Unfortunately, they never really had a chance to get glued together in the first place. I just wish there would be no drama. I say give the front office this year and next year before we throw Shurmur under the bus. But sadly I don't see why there are so many problems so early. I hope the Browns can rally from this but I just don't see it happening.

Legend
Legend
I'm not convinced that there ARE problems yet.

Honestly, it seems like 'media manufacture' with this Hillis thing, and beyond it, there's really nothing to indicate that the wheels are even loose, let alone falling off.

I truly believe at this point, it's a little bit of media posturing by Hillis' agent, and a whole bunch of rumorfodder cooked up by Grossi and Co. during a slow bye week.

And if I'm right, it's going to be a looooong week off from real Browns news. I hate to say it, but- expect more of this detritus before we play our next game.

[shakes head]

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
My reaction after reading the article:

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/rage/grand/black_man_rage_gif.gif

I don't believe this.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

It feels like the Browns are coming unglued. Unfortunately, they never really had a chance to get glued together in the first place. I just wish there would be no drama. I say give the front office this year and next year before we throw Shurmur under the bus. But sadly I don't see why there are so many problems so early. I hope the Browns can rally from this but I just don't see it happening.

And thats what the media wants you to believe. That there is problems deep underliing problems when really there isnt. Then the media wonders why the coaches stop giving them straight talk and give them coach speak?
BB knew this when he got here just wasnt good at the coach speak.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I'm not convinced that there ARE problems yet.

You aren't, ClemmyMeister?

I didn't know the Cleveland media were gone. Until they are gone, at least in the form they currently exist, there will always be problems.

Quote:

Honestly, it seems like 'media manufacture' with this Hillis thing, and beyond it, there's really nothing to indicate that the wheels are even loose, let alone falling off.

They aren't falling off. That's for sure. Loose? Yeah, but not in the same connotation you mean. We're a team with some talent, but that talent comes with as many questions as answers, especially at the key offensive positions.

That's to say the wheels weren't ever on tight, hehe.

As for media, yeah, I think there's some manufacture there. Once news agencies realized they couldn't create revenue without first creating the news, the search for the truth became much more adventurous.

Still, sometimes if there's smoke, there's a fire (to borrow an over-used cliche).

It's no coincidence that this is Hillis' third agent in such a short amount of time. The boy is lookin' to get paid! That's an aggressive position, and just like the recent Cribbs situation where his agent got uppity, so is Peyton's guy getting lippy.

I'm still interested in knowing exactly how much Hillis is asking for. I bet he's riding this Madden cover thing for all it's worth. Who knew that only in Cleveland could it end up being a bad thing when one of our own gains himself and the team some notoriety. I bet Camp Hillis is overvaluing it's position, but that's just a guess. Of course if I were them I'd be doing the exact same thing.

This contract situation is a complicated dynamic, but I think there are some very keen parallels to be drawn between the negotiations of Cribbs and Hillis.

Cribbs wanted to be paid like an offensive playmaker, but the Browns knew he was primarily a special teamer/gadget guy. He deserved to get a solid bump in pay, but was aiming too high. I think Hillis has a long future, but not as a 300-carry back per season, and I bet that's what he wants to be paid like.

This is gonna come off as a bit Mel Gibson loony-toon conspiracy theorist-ish (ish! ), but if I were the Browns and in a Mexican staredown with Hillis's agent, one of the FIRST things I'd want to know is exactly.....EXACTLY....what I have in Hardesty.

It all fits together just a little too easily.

Regardless, I don't see this as being contentious....yet.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, but once the trade deadline passes, his agent loses that particular piece of potential player payroll propaganda. (Holy alliteration Batman!)

We're heading into week 5. The Tuesday following week 6 is the trade deadline. He's gotta make hay while he can.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Or ... he can still be an angry camper at that point - play the season out and walk in free agency to get paid like (his agent will convince him) that he should. Worst case that happens is we franchise him and he gets big money - though not a huge contract.

.... that is - IF I believed it was as bad as the media says it is. which I don't.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
I'm sure that it is eating at him that the Browns have given out so many huge deal to other guys, and he can't get close to what he feels he's worth.

Now we have no clue what either side is asking for and/or offering .... but we do know that it's not close enough that either side is saying that they feel good about a deal getting done soon. Hillis probably feels that he is one of the few superstar caliber players on this team right now, he was the backbone of the team last year, and I'm sure that he feels somewhat disrespected.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Link, please.

It was posted on Rotoworld.com. My bad.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

but if I were the Browns and in a Mexican staredown with Hillis's agent, one of the FIRST things I'd want to know is exactly.....EXACTLY....what I have in Hardesty.

You typed a 500 word essay when you could have just stuck with this. It only makes sense.

Couple that with the fact that Hillis is apparently on his 3rd agent in 4 months makes me think it's Hillis that wants more than the Browns are willing to give, not just the agent.

Hillis has tweeted recently how he wants to retire in Cleveland and loves the fans. To me that makes it look like he knows he may be starting to lose fan support and that won't help his contract bid.

I think he'll be signed to a new contract soon. But it's the Browns....so who the hell knows.....

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

smackramonious

Ahh,, Thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Who would we trade him to?

KC for their 1st next year? Seattle for their 1st next year?

I'd do either.

Then we'd have more ammo to get Luck-y.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd bet you'd get a 4th, 3rd max. Let's be honest here. Last year:

web page

1,177 yards
11th in rushing
15th in rushing yards per game
6th in rushing TD's
Led the league in fumbles
1 play of over 40 yards.
5 plays of over 20 yards.
73.6 yards per game.

He is a good power back who can catch the ball. That's all.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

You typed a 500 word essay when you could have just stuck with this. It only makes sense.

But, Otto, such verbosity is representative of my own personal literary idiom.

Quote:

Couple that with the fact that Hillis is apparently on his 3rd agent in 4 months makes me think it's Hillis that wants more than the Browns are willing to give, not just the agent.

Geez, you could have just copy/pasted what I said and saved yourself the time.
Quote:

Hillis has tweeted recently how he wants to retire in Cleveland and loves the fans. To me that makes it look like he knows he may be starting to lose fan support and that won't help his contract bid.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if a player actually came right out and said "I don't really care where I play. I just wanna get paid, BEOCH!"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Peyton Hillis Diminished Role

Link Copied to Clipboard