Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/10/10/11/Br...amp;feedID=3659

Cleveland Browns reserve DL Marcus Benard has been involved in a motorcycle crash immediately following Monday's practice.

Reports say the crash occurred at 2pm on Interstate 71 at West 65th Street, and that Benard crashed into a wall.

There is no report on his condition yet, but the lineman was transported to MetroHealth Medical Center, according to confirmations from both the team and the hospital.

FOXSportsOhio.com will update with information as we receive it.

Eat it Phil...
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
John Telich from Fox 8 reported that sources indicate his condition was serious but not life threatening...

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
1) I hope he is ok and makes a full and complete recovery.

2) What the heck was he doing on a motorcycle (assuming report is correct)?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

2) What the heck was he doing on a motorcycle (assuming report is correct)?

I'm assuming ...riding it?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Wow, I hope he's OK.

Shouldn't really affect the Browns, because they never use him anyway.

On another note ...... how the hell do you crash a motorcycle into a freakin' wall?????

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
lol, I understand that.

But has no one learned from Winslow and Big Ben?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

lol, I understand that.

But has no one learned from Winslow and Big Ben?

Yeah, wear a helmet, and don't do tricks in a parking lot...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend

ClevelandBrowns.com
By Daniel Wolf
Senior Writer

Cleveland Browns backup defensive end, Marcus Benard has been in a serious accident, injured and rushed to Cleveland's MetroHealth Medical Center, per Fox 8 News sports reporter John Telich.

Apparently, Benard was on his way home from Browns team practice today at their training facility in Berea, Oh. and struck the wall on I-71, near the West 65th exit.

He has seen been rushed to the hospital and there is no further information, as of this moment, but National Football Authority will be monitoring Benard's status during the day.

UPDATE: Benard was riding a Spyder Motorcycle, which has two front wheels, per Telich on Twitter. He was also going at a high rate of speed, according to Telich's sources.

He has serious injuries and the Browns medical staff is at Metro Hospital too. Telich reports Benard has possible broken ribs, broken wrist and a ton of road rash.

Benard is a third-year player, who was undrafted out of Jackson State, and led the Browns in sacks in 2010 with 7.5.
web page

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Sad news, regardless of who it was - a player, or just a citizen.

I'm curious though - how long has he been a "rider"?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

a ton of road rash.

Nice, professional writing there .....

If he did get scraped up over a significant amount of his body, he could be out for a fairly long period of time. They are going to want major skin damage like that to heal completely before they risk exposing him to all of the potential infection someone can pick up in a locker room, and on a football field.

The last thing anyone wants to read after this is anything about a staph infection.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Wow, I hope he's OK.

Shouldn't really affect the Browns, because they never use him anyway.

On another note ...... how the hell do you crash a motorcycle into a freakin' wall?????

Come on man....it's not illegal to ride a bike.

How do you crash?? You hit a slick spot on a curve. Someone cuts you off. A big chunk of truck tire is tossed your way from the car ahead. A June bug hits you in the adams apple. You just lose focus.

There's lot's of ways to crash a motorcycle.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
This article says it's a broken arm

Home > Metro - cleveland.com > Browns
Cleveland Browns' Marcus Benard suffers broken arm in I-71 motorcycle accident
Published: Monday, October 10, 2011, 4:11 PM Updated: Monday, October 10, 2011, 6:03 PM
By Plain Dealer staff The Plain Dealer
Follow 28
Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit
Email
Print
View full sizeNFL photoBrowns DE/LB Marcus Benard.
Pat Galbincea and Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporters

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Marcus Benard suffered a broken arm following a motorcycle accident Monday on Interstate 71 near West 65th Street.

Late Monday afternoon, Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis announced that head coach Pat Shurmur had informed the team that Benard had suffered a broken arm in the accident, which apparently occurred around 2:20 p.m. He was transferred during the afternoon from MetroHealth Medical Center to the Cleveland Clinic.

Gulkis has said earlier that Benard spoke by phone with team trainer Joe Sheehan. The Browns practiced until about 12:30 today and players were available in the locker room until 1:25 p.m.

Last November, Benard fainted in the Browns locker room before practice, but he attributed it to stress over the premature birth of his son. Benard underwent a battery of tests at the time, but doctors ruled out a heart problem or other major medical condition

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Apparently, Benard was on his way home from Browns team practice today at their training facility in Berea, Oh. and struck the wall on I-71, near the West 65th exit.

WHAT?!?!? He was at the freakin' team facitlity on a motorcycle? What were his teammates thinking! "Cool man, that looks awesome, you should drive home on the freeway on that!"

Isn't that violating his contract?!?!

Legend
Legend
He was on a Spyder.

You gotta work pretty hard to wreck one of these.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
So what?! What if you get clipped? You're still not in a vehicle, you're on one... it's not safe.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 10/10/11 06:56 PM.
Legend
Legend
and people don't get hurt in their cages...

sheesh!

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

WHAT?!?!? He was at the freakin' team facitlity on a motorcycle? What were his teammates thinking! "Cool man, that looks awesome, you should drive home on the freeway on that!"

Isn't that violating his contract?!?!

I doubt it.....Holmgren is a Harley rider.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Very unfortunate for him. Sad it happened. Riding motorcycles is a big risk for anyone and I don't know why people put their life at risk to do it, but each to his own I guess.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

So what?! What if you get clipped? You're still not in a vehicle, you're on one... it's not safe.

Being on one didn't hurt him. Going at a high rate of speed did.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Being on one didn't hurt him. Going at a high rate of speed did.

Yeah but it didn't say he was breaking the law. If he's on the freeway he was at-least going 55 (not familiar with the area) that's a high rate of speed to crash on a motorcycle. 20-25 is a high rate of speed to crash on a motorcycle, hell even a bicycle.

Legend
Legend
OK, this morning the PD is saying it's not a broken arm, but instead, a broken hand...

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/10/browns_benard_is_metrohealth_m.html

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
Stepping into your shower is dangerous, you might slip on the wet floor, hit your head and be killed.
Driving your car is dangerous, you might hit or be hit by another vehicle, or go off a cliff and die.
Walking down the street is dangerous, you might be hit by a vehicle, or shot in a drive by shooting.
Eating is dangerous, you might choke.
Swimming is dangerous you might drown.
Flying is dangerous, the plane might crash.

You can't live life worried about every little thing that could go wrong. People ride motorcycles everyday, and 99.99% of them arrive safely at their destination.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Stepping into your shower is dangerous, you might slip on the wet floor, hit your head and be killed.
Driving your car is dangerous, you might hit or be hit by another vehicle, or go off a cliff and die.
Walking down the street is dangerous, you might be hit by a vehicle, or shot in a drive by shooting.
Eating is dangerous, you might choke.
Swimming is dangerous you might drown.
Flying is dangerous, the plane might crash.

How many pro athletes have ended or limited their careers in motorcycle accidents? How many ride motorcycles?

How many pro athletes have ended or limited their careers in car accidents? How many drive cars?

Your argument is terrible. Motorcycles are statistically dangerous... far more-so than any of the activities you listed. My collegiate roommate worked with the organ recovery team for one of the hospitals by our campus. He said that 80%-90% of the transplant organs come from motorcycles. They called them "Donorcycles."

There's a difference between enjoying your freedom and endangering your life and livelihood.

F
Legend
Legend
F

You just live your life, and let others live theirs. Or run for office and you can put through a bill to ban motorcycles and anything YOU deem dangerous.

Legend
Legend
Prohibition of motorcycle riding is common in NFL contracts... don't you guys remember this?

Pittsburgh Steelers officials warned quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in writing last year that he might jeopardize portions of his contract, and could suffer financial implications, if he continued to ride a motorcycle.

Winslow's contract did stipulate he could not ride motorcycles, and his injury cost him millions of dollars in bonuses the team withheld and in incentives that he could not earn because of his inactivity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2483239

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

People ride motorcycles everyday, and 99.99% of them arrive safely at their destination.

My dad has rode for 37 years, my brother for 15 and me I have rode off and on but this summer I have been riding alot. And knock on wood none of us have ever been in a crash.

You have to ride defensive and always be aware of other people and your surroundings.

The way I see it a motorcycle is just like a gun, the second you neglect it is the second it kills you.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

People ride motorcycles everyday, and 99.99% of them arrive safely at their destination.

My dad has rode for 37 years, my brother for 15 and me I have rode off and on but this summer I have been riding alot. And knock on wood none of us have ever been in a crash.

You have to ride defensive and always be aware of other people and your surroundings.

The way I see it a motorcycle is just like a gun, the second you neglect it is the second it kills you.

Correct.

However, not only is it like having a gun - it's like every other person having a gun. (okay - bad analogy). The problem with a motorcycle is, I would guess, MOST of the time it's not the cycle's driver that causes an accident. (most - not all the time), but on a bike, someone else's screw up affects the bike rider much worse.

I have a friend - cruising down the road, 45 mph - just outside of Toledo, when "BAM", a deer ran into him.

Had a total of 3 surgeries, missed well over 3 weeks of work. Because a deer ran him over.

Legend
Legend
Browns’ Benard charged after motorcycle crash

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 1 minute ago

tweet9
Email
Print

CLEVELAND (AP)—Browns defensive end Marcus Benard(notes) is facing two charges after crashing his motorcycle following practice.

Benard broke his hand Monday when he slammed his three-wheel motorcycle into a guardrail on Interstate 71. He remains hospitalized at the Cleveland Clinic.

Brooklyn Police Sgt. Scott Mielke said Benard has been charged with driving under suspension and reckless operation. He is due in court Oct. 18 in Parma.

Mielke said Benard lost control, smashed into the guardrail and “flew” over it. Mielke said no other vehicles were involved and police were trying to determine how fast Benard was driving.

Benard led the Browns in sacks last season and has played in all four of Cleveland’s games this season.
web page

#gmSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
So, in the end, his own stupidity caused the accident, not the motorcycle or act of riding a motorcycle.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You can't live life worried about every little thing that could go wrong. People ride motorcycles everyday, and 99.99% of them arrive safely at their destination.

You are partially correct. You have to play the odds... and the odds say that motorcycles are more dangerous than everything else on your list based on the chances of an accident and the severity of injuries resulting from that accident. What is a normal fender bender in a car is quite possibly a catastrophic injury on a motorcycle... And players, during the contract dispute, were constantly reminding us that their career time is often limited to just a small window of opportunity to make their money.. so why risk it by doing anything dangerous off the field? Waiting until you are 35 and retired to buy a motorcycle seems like a small price to pay for the privilege to play in the NFL and make millions of dollars doing it.

What people have to understand is that these pro athletes are men who live at a fast pace, taking risks is their livlihood, heck these guys run into men weighing 320 pounds who bench press a zillion pounds and try to take them down, they do it on purpose... then they get up and do it again. Being aggressive and taking risks is in their nature and it's not something that can always be turned off just because they walk off the field.. and they have enough money, even the lower salaried ones, to have pretty much whatever hobbys they want.

Heck go to a military base and you will find the same thing on a smaller scale, a bunch of young men (women do not tend to be as bad) who take giant risks for a living... you will find as many fast cars and motorcycles as they can afford, the only reason they don't have more is because they don't have a football players salary....

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
Maybe I should have been more clear in my response, because I wasn't meaning that motorcycles are just as dangerous as those other things, but that everything in life has risks. And it's up to each person to weight those risks for themselves and decide if it's a risk they are willing to take,and not any one else's decision.

Now in the case of the athlete then his contract would have to be considered to, as mentioned in the Big Ben case.

But as it turns out in this case, he has a suspended license and was driving too fast. So this could have happened in a car as easily as on a motorcycle.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
web page

Cleveland Browns defensive end Marcus Benard facing charges after motorcycle crash

By: Garrett Downing, newsnet5.com
BROOKLYN, Ohio - Cleveland Browns defensive end Marcus Benard will be charged with traffic violations following a motorcycle crash that occurred on Monday, according to Brooklyn Police Department Sgt. Scott Mielke.

Benard will be charged with driving under a suspended license and reckless operation of a vehicle, which are considered minored violations, Mielke said.

Benard, 26, suffered a broken hand in the crash, which happened in the northbound lanes of Interstate 71 Monday afternoon. He was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

According to the police report, Benard traveled off the right side of the road and crashed into the guardrail, throwing Benard about 241 feet from the vehicle,. The motorcycle then traveled across all four lanes of the highway before coming to a stop 680 feet away, the report said.

Benard was initially taken to MetroHealth Medical Center, but then transferred to the Cleveland Clinic where he was in stable condition Monday night.

On the season, Bernard has collected three tackles and 0.5 sacks.
Continue checking newsnet5.com as the story develops.

---------------------------------------------------

241 feet. Holy hell.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Quote:

There's lot's of ways to crash a motorcycle.

Most of the time they aren't your fault motorcycle or bicycle.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I have a friend - cruising down the road, 45 mph - just outside of Toledo, when "BAM", a deer ran into him.

Had a total of 3 surgeries, missed well over 3 weeks of work. Because a deer ran him over.

Yeah that's just extremely bad luck, can't imagine there is a whole lot you can do in that situation. But that stuff does happen, especially this time of year.

Legend
Legend
Motorcycle crash ends Marcus Benard’s season
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 12, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT
Cleveland Browns v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Although Browns defensive end Marcus Benard was fortunate enough to avoid any life-threatening injuries in his motorcycle accident on Monday, his hand injury was severe enough that he will miss the rest of the season.

Benard is still being treated at the Cleveland Clinic for the hand injury, which he suffered when he was thrown from his three-wheel motorcycle on Monday. The police report says Benard was thrown 241 feet, which if true makes him awfully lucky to have nothing more than a hand injury.

Benard’s license was already suspended, so he’s facing charges of driving under a suspension, as well as reckless driving. Benard claims he was going about 60 miles an hour at the time of the crash, but a witness told WOIO in Cleveland that she was driving 60 on I-71 and that Benard “flew” past her. Other witnesses say Benard was racing another vehicle, although no one else has been charged.

Benard is the second recent Browns player to be lost for a season to a motorcycle crash; former Browns tight end Kellen Winslow missed all of 2005 after crashing his motorcycle.

web page

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
STILL being treated for ONLY a hand injury, that was described as being just a "broken hand"??

Unless it is perhaps a ton of reconstructive surgery, I don't buy that for a second. And if he is getting that much reconstructive surgery, I find it tough to believe that there are no other issues.

Either way, he is just another good example of what the hell you should NOT be doing.
Freaking idiot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Yeah I have a real hard time believing that someone could be thrown 80 yards by going 60MPH. Also their's no way a broken hand has had him in the hospital for two days. I appreciate the fact that they're following rules and not just feeding the media with info, but their's got to be more to his injuries than that.

Guy's lucky to be alive. Guy's incredibly stupid - but incredibly lucky.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Auston English was activated from the practice squad to replace Benard.

web page

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 10/12/11 01:37 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thrown 241 feet and all he gets is his hand broken? wow.. talk about lucky

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Bye, Marcus.

Hope we get your replacement in the offseason, you stupid dope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns' Benard hurt in motorcycle crash

Link Copied to Clipboard