Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#627918 10/12/11 02:13 PM
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The Browns made a series of roster moves, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.
The Cleveland Browns today placed defensive lineman Marcus Benard on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list and signed defensive lineman Auston English to the active roster from the team’s practice squad. In addition, the club signed defensive lineman Kiante Tripp to the practice squad.
Benard appeared as a reserve in the first four games this season, totaling four tackles and half a sack.
English registered an NFL-leading four sacks during the 2011 preseason and spent the first five weeks of the regular season on the club’s practice squad. Originally signed by Cleveland as an undrafted free agent on April 30, 2010, English was waived by the Browns on June 17 and spent the 2010 season with the Hartford Colonials of the UFL, before re-joining the Browns on January 19, 2011. A four-year letterman at the University of Oklahoma (2005, 2007-09), he totaled 92 career tackles and 18 sacks, while starting 28 of the 33 games in which he appeared. A native of Canadian, Texas, the 6-3, 250-pound English attended Canadian High School. He will wear No. 94.
Tripp spent training camp this season with the Atlanta Falcons after signing as an undrafted free agent on July 27. He appeared in two preseason contests and recorded four tackles, before being waived on September 2. A four-year letterman at the University of Georgia (2007-10), he appeared in 36 games as a defensive lineman, offensive lineman and tight end. A native of Atlanta, Ga., the 6-6, 276-pound Tripp attended Westlake (Ga.) High School.

web page

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Glad to see English back on the roster but don't like the way he got there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Glad to see English back on the roster but don't like the way he got there

Don't tell me he rode his motorcycle there

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I really thought English looked better then any of our DE's in the preseason.

I hope that he will make the best of his opportunity.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed, I liked English a lot in pre-season.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Auston English

6'3" and 250 lbs.

hopefully he isn't blown out during runs

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
He played pretty well. One mans screw up is anothers opportunity to shine. Hope he makes the very best of it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think I've gone on a Kiante Tripp. Sorta like an upscale booze cruise. Definitely better than a merlot trip.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

merlot trip

Been there done that ... Got the scars to prove it (30yr Class reunion).

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns
Browns to sign RB Chris Ogbonnaya off Texans' practice squad, agent says

by Nate Ulrich on October 17, 2011

in Cleveland Browns,NFL

The Browns will sign running back Chris Ogbonnaya off the Houston Texans' practice squad, said Ogbonnaya's agent, JR Rickert. The move, which is expected to become official Tuesday, will give the Browns depth while starting running back Peyton Hillis deals with a hamstring injury he suffered Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.

The 6-foot, 226-pound Ogbonnaya played in two games this season for the Texans before being waived and signed to their practice squad last week. Ogbonnaya, who has three carries for 6 yards this season, also spent the 2010 season on the Texans' practice squad.

In 2009, the St. Louis Rams drafted Ogbonnaya out of the University of Texas in the seventh round (211th overall). Browns coach Pat Shurmur served as the Rams' offensive coordinator during Ogbonnaya's rookie season. He played in two games under Shurmur, rushing 11 times for 50 yards (4.5 average).

web page

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It irks me when coaches bring in their old guys.. especially when they are subpar talent...

I'm sure Heckert and co. has to know someone more talented than this.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
umm so who did we cut to make room for him? Id rather of signed mike sims-walker than some unheardof rb that we dont need.

Hillis going to be traded? sure looks that way even with coach speak saying different! Why else would we carry another RB.

#brownsgoodkarma
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

It irks me when coaches bring in their old guys.. especially when they are subpar talent...

I'm sure Heckert and co. has to know someone more talented than this.

I dont mind coaches bringing in guys they know but this will just add more fire to the Hillis is in Shurmurs dog house rumors and at this fragile stage of the season I hate seeing fuel added to the fire.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I don't think anything else can happen that would add more "fuel to the fire" at this point.

When this crap started I thought it was purely a media thing to drum up something - then he and his agent ran their mouths - then he comes back and gets hurt... all the while the coach is being blamed for keeping him in his personal doghouse. It's a runaway forest fire right now.

Either Hillis is traded by 4pm tomorrow, or he takes a week off and comes back ready - physically and mentally - to be the man he was last year. If he's healthy and doesn't play that's the coach's problem and he'll be called out about it by the team, media and fans alike.

Signing some fodder from Houston or anyone else adds nothing to Hillisgate 2011, they just need healthy bodies.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If we are winning, there's no drama ... ie Hillisgate.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I liked him as a prospect out of College, he is a speed/change of pace back IIRC

as for bringing in "his" guys...it''s not like he traded away a top 5 pick for 3 of his old buddies and a coversion project from Hawaii in the 2nd, after signing half a dozen others earlier, right? With Mangini it was explained away with "to install his system", lol and now it's not a good sign we sign a RB off a team with the best RB depth chart in all of football...Foster, Tate, Ward is as good as it gets and the fact they tried to hide this dude and kept him initially seems to point to some kind of talent....I'm sure he's better than Mike Bell

and which part of Hillis is injured didn't you get? There's no hidden Hillis-hatefest going on...it's stupid conspiracy

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Much as it appalls me to say this ...... I agree with you. lol

Te only way this is of any concern is if the team then says "We have traded Peyton Hillis to the ......".

That's not likely to happen. They know that McCoy needs all the help he can get, and if they can get Hillis 100% healthy again, he will, again, be their best playmaker.

This guy is a piece to help at RB while Hilis heals. That's it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
So who got cut?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There's no hidden Hillis-hatefest going on...it's stupid conspiracy

This is where you're wrong, Django.

By us signing some guy off a practice squad, it's obvious that we want to get rid of Hillis, thereby hinging our running game on a guy with a big injury history, a rookie with raw talent, but an unknown, and a guy from another team's practice squad.

I mean, do I have to spell it out for you? Hillis is going to get cut and Shurmur is going to burn Hillis's house down.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
omg do you have inside information b?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes. I've been camping outside Bill Cowher's house that he just bought in Berea.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nothing more than getting bodies in case Hillis is out for a few games with a hamstring. Hardesty has shown that he can't block and can't catch. Two of the three things you need your WCO RB to do. We are not getting rid of Hillis. I wish this crap would go away already.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. I've been camping outside Bill Cowher's house that he just bought in Berea.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Don't forget that the Texans also had Steve Slaton in their running back committee until they released him. And while he isn't exactly amazing ... he did have almost 1300 yards for them a few years back. Guess he wore out his welcome before he was cut?

Anyways ... that's at least 4 backs that they went into training camp with who are all legit. I'm intrigued at least to see what the new guy can do. Either he comes in and doesn't do anything other than maybe special teams (which gives us the chance to see armond smith more?) Or he comes in and we see if he keeps a roster spot for another week.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you are only laughing because everyone knows that Cowher wouldn't buy a house in Berea. his house is in Strongsville.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yeah? Well... I heard Cowher is a BIG Cheesecake Factory fan and, consequently, bought a place in Westlake near Crocker Park.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Now THAT struck me as funny. Shurmy can burn THAT house down as well. Laughing at that!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So who got cut?

No idea. They don't have to announce it until that formally add the guy to the roster. I would guess that those moves will be official later today ... probably by 5.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns make roster moves

Link Copied to Clipboard