Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
Does anyone have any exp dealing with rebuilt titles? I have noticed you can get a great bargain if you buy a rebuilt title compared to an original and was just wondering what the drawbacks of buying rebuilt?

I know being rebuilt means its been in an accident, flood damage, repo, or other various things but did not know how if its been checked out by the State Highway Patrol and they deemed it road worthy with a rebuilt title why does this effect the value so much?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated ?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Does anyone have any exp dealing with rebuilt titles? I have noticed you can get a great bargain if you buy a rebuilt title compared to an original and was just wondering what the drawbacks of buying rebuilt?

I know being rebuilt means its been in an accident, flood damage, repo, or other various things but did not know how if its been checked out by the State Highway Patrol and they deemed it road worthy with a rebuilt title why does this effect the value so much?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated ?

I used to do rebuilds on slavage titles for motorcycles all the time. Basically I would buy a bike with a salvage title, which basically means it is not road worthy,fix the problems,take it and get it inspected, get a standard title, and resell it, hopefully for a nice profit.

Me personally, I would be a lot more weary of a car. Just so much more that could be not right,that you cant necessarily see.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Get it inspected by someone you trust before you put a penny on it ..... and don't pay more than 30-50% of book if you buy it. (depending on how hot the model is, and how well the work was done, and what other, undamaged vehicles sell for compared to book value)

Sometimes a vehicle can be totaled in a hailstorm, or other event that leaves only cosmetic damage. Other times it can be major structural damage deemed too serious to have fixed. Carfax should be able to tell you which is which based off the VIN.

You will probably have one hell of a time financing a salvage title vehicle, and will probably either have to pay cash outright, or finance it through a higher interest finance company. (if they are even financing salvage titles anymore) Further, you will have an even harder time selling it when you want to do so. It will take you at least 2-3 times as long to sell a "nice" salvage vehicle as it would to sell a high mileage car with some modest damage. Many dealerships won't even take a vehicle with a salvage title in on trade.

Also, keep in mind that salvage vehicles are often rebuilt using the absolute cheapest aftermarket products. Don't expect 2 sided galvanized steel on exterior body panels. You may see premature rust, and other problems, due to the quality of the replacement parts used.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a vehicle with a salvage title unless I could get it for next to nothing, and it was all there and checked out. I am talking no more than a thousand ...... not thousands of dollars.

My advice from years in the auto business. Take it for what it's worth.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
Thanks for your thoughts guys I always appreciate coming here to get some answers!

Legend
Legend
Run away from it most of those cars are nothing but headaches. I have been in the business for over 27 years and I wouldn't let anybody in my family buy one.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Ive read there may be issues with insuring that type of vehicle also. But I have no first hand experience.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Carfax is a joke. A stupid waste of money joke.

And the commercials make me want to throw a brick through the screen.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Legend
Legend
Carfax is a tool. Like any other tool, it has its strengths and weaknesses.

It certainly can be useful.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Help with Rebuilt Titled Cars

Link Copied to Clipboard