Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/11/cleveland_browns_rb_peyton_hil_14.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns running back Peyton Hillis appeared to re-injure his hamstring in practice today on a run up the middle.

Hillis came up limping on the play, grabbing at his left hamstring.

He fired the ball to the ground, then threw his helmet down in frustration.

He limped over to the sidelines and stood talking to one of the team trainers with his head down and his hands on his hips. He then limped halfway down the practice field for further examination by the trainer.

Hillis, who sat out the past two games with the hamstring injury, had returned to practice on Thursday and was expecting to start on Sunday in Houston.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/11/cleveland_browns_rb_peyton_hil_14.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns running back Peyton Hillis appeared to re-injure his hamstring in practice today on a run up the middle.

Hillis came up limping on the play, grabbing at his left hamstring.

He fired the ball to the ground, then threw his helmet down in frustration.

He limped over to the sidelines and stood talking to one of the team trainers with his head down and his hands on his hips. He then limped halfway down the practice field for further examination by the trainer.

Hillis, who sat out the past two games with the hamstring injury, had returned to practice on Thursday and was expecting to start on Sunday in Houston.

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
They need to bring armond smith to the 53 and combo Obi and smith.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

What other option is there?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hammys take some time..depending on how bad U pull them..just interesting ..whenever a Browns player has a good year,the next one turns into disaster..oh well.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What other option is there?

Seems to me Clayton is the 2nd back. Not smith.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
NRTU, Attack...

Just restating a point I'd made earlier in the year about Hillis and his contract demands not being met by the Browns.....

When you're a bruising-styled runner who takes punishment, you aren't long for the league, nor are you long for the trainers table. Hillis had a magical 3/4'ths of a season in 2010, and a disaster of one in 2011.

THAT is why you don't give big bucks to a guy like Hillis. He's a good player, but far from a great one. If he doesn't get healthy, he may not even be considered a solid risk for the team that offers him a deal next season.......

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
True but in this case it's a hammy..non contact..can happen to any player..any sport..I've had one..took a amonth for it to heal.

Legend
Legend
Madden Curse

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Cleveland Curse

Legend
Legend
I'm beginning to believe that Hillis is a distant cousin of Howard Carter.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
His year is effectively over. He might come back......but maybe in 3-4 weeks. By then, who cares. A complete wasted year on his part.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

A complete wasted year on his part.

And ours.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hamstrings are a tough injury. You just have to let it completely heal, and that takes soooo long.

I'm not going to blame Hillis or anyone else for this one. This is just one of those things. If there hadn't been that ridiculous drama earlier in the season, this would be one of those things where people would be disappointed, but not as worked up as they are now.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
j/c

original article too long so posting the pft one

Quote:

Peyton Hillis‘ latest practice injury was not his most humbling moment of the week.

Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that eight Browns veterans held an intervention-style meeting with Hillis on Wednesday to discuss the running back’s lousy attitude in an effort to improve his focus.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” one Browns player told Silver. “Last year, Peyton was such a positive, inspirational force on our team – but now he’s like a different guy.

“It’s like he’s in a funk that he can’t get out of, and it’s killing us, because we really need him. And we’ve told him that. But we’re at the point where we just don’t know what to do.”

Sometimes “distractions” get overplayed in the media, but this is a clear case where Hillis’ desire for a new contract has affected Cleveland’s season.

The latest annoyance came last Sunday in San Francisco. Hillis and quarterback Thaddeus Lewis were seen holding a contest during warmups to see who could throw footballs off the crossbar better. Hillis was inactive for the game with a hamstring injury.

“It was a bad look,” another player said, “and it did not sit well with any of us.”

The meeting with Hillis was reportedly positive, but it’s remarkable the players had to hold it. Silver describes a locker room that has grown weary of Hillis’ attitude and suspicious of his behavior.

“A few guys tried to talk to him, to make him understand the best way to go about things is to put your head down and do the best you possibly can,” said All-Pro tackle Joe Thomas.

The inference is that Hillis hasn’t been doing his best to this point. Fair or not, his latest injury isn’t going to Hillis’ chances of regaining the trust of his teammates.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/04/teammates-held-intervention-about-hillis-attitude/

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hamstrings are a tough injury. You just have to let it completely heal, and that takes soooo long.

I'm not going to blame Hillis or anyone else for this one. This is just one of those things. If there hadn't been that ridiculous drama earlier in the season, this would be one of those things where people would be disappointed, but not as worked up as they are now.

JMHO

Personally, I think it's all overblown by the press.. he was sick, he didn't play, he got injured, he didn't play.,.,

If this weren't a contract year for him, we'd blow this off as "damn, to bad about Hillis" and that would be the end of it.

But Nooooooooo... It's "he doesn't want to play because he's protesting the contract situation" and he got married because he knocked up his girlfriend.

Gees, could it just be that he was sick and got injured and loved his girlfriend and wanted to get married?

Last edited by Damanshot; 11/04/11 04:58 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
So they only gonna expose Joe Thomas name?

Legend
Legend
There needs to be a Haloti Ngata / Ray Lewis / Ed Reed cover.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
and scott fujita. probably had permission. other vets were anonymous.

Legend
Legend
Here's the full article by Mike Silver:

link

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” one Browns player told Silver. “Last year, Peyton was such a positive, inspirational force on our team – but now he’s like a different guy.

“It’s like he’s in a funk that he can’t get out of, and it’s killing us, because we really need him. And we’ve told him that. But we’re at the point where we just don’t know what to do.”

Sometimes “distractions” get overplayed in the media, but this is a clear case where Hillis’ desire for a new contract has affected Cleveland’s season.

The latest annoyance came last Sunday in San Francisco. Hillis and quarterback Thaddeus Lewis were seen holding a contest during warmups to see who could throw footballs off the crossbar better. Hillis was inactive for the game with a hamstring injury.

“It was a bad look,” another player said, “and it did not sit well with any of us.”

Might as well get used to articles like this. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The locker room is in disarray an the team is screwed without a real coach. Fact is, we're not going to get one until Learner gets a clue and sends el presidente packing. I know this ain't gonna happen any time soon, and tearing down and starting over seems ridiculous, but this cancerous cluster fark needs to be purged yesterday.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

JMHO

Lemmie say this..U are right.Hillis cannot be blamed for this..but all the stuff leading up to his injury was/is just ridiculous..during that bye week the media was looking for any story they could find..well Hillis/agent provided it and the contract crap took off..totally unprofessional IMO...the stuff radio talk show hosts were yapping was completely stupid..the way his agent handled it was completely stupid..and his comments..he just shoulda kept quiet and told his agent the same thing..we'll talk $$$$$$$after the season..thats it.
Now all this talk about why he didn't play at Miami..then his comments about playing..GMAB..
All of this is nonsense and just way blown out of proportion..now all the hrs being spent on his hammy..just wish everyone would shut up about it..

All of this could have been handled a lot better by everyone who has helped make a mountain out of a hangnail....no not molehill..MOLE!

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
man i got nothing on this whole situation but ugh...

I've been so high on Hillis and every new thing just sucks and makes it hard to support him. I'd rather he be bad and working his tail off like a guy like Armond Smith or Colt McCoy or Pinkston or Lauvao...just shut up do work and do everything you can to get better. Healthwise or otherwise...just do your job.

Such a bummer

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

It's little more than cowardice, if you ask me. Call your teammate out to some hack writer from Yahoo and don't have the stones to give your name? Give me a break.

I'd like to see the list of names of players at this "intervention".

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

man i got nothing on this whole situation but ugh...

I've been so high on Hillis and every new thing just sucks and makes it hard to support him. I'd rather he be bad and working his tail off like a guy like Armond Smith or Colt McCoy or Pinkston or Lauvao...just shut up do work and do everything you can to get better. Healthwise or otherwise...just do your job.

Such a bummer

Please, do tell how one "works his tail off" to recover from a pulled hamstring, and what Hillis was doing instead of that.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Mike Silver is actually not a "hack" writer.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

It's little more than cowardice, if you ask me. Call your teammate out to some hack writer from Yahoo and don't have the stones to give your name? Give me a break.

Fujita, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, and Josh Cribbs are all named in the article. So, that's 4 of the 8 and 4 more than usually get actually named in these types of articles.

there's a couple random quotes from a 'veteran' but it could easily just be that Silver didn't formally ask permission and wanted to get this in print (or they could have denied permission to use their name)

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i don't see it that way at all. thomas and fujita are clear, "name" vets with opinions that people value. thomas is known as a guy with very high expectations of himself first, before he judges other people and fujita is a smart player rep. what would you say if pashos was one of the vets? "guy needs to stop throwing teammates under the bus and look at himself"?

i'd rather be able to read this "cowardice" and have a look inside what's going on that judge players who feel what they feel. the reality is clearly the locker room was souring on hillis.

i'd also rather celebrate the leadership of some players on the team than chastise other players.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I hate to say it but to me this clearly looks to me like Hillis is saving the hard Mileage on his body so it looks like he has more gas in the tank for a longer deal. We all know how bruising his style is and 1 less season looks better for a new contract. Which is all it is portrayed he cares about.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

looks to me like Hillis is saving the hard Mileage on his body so it looks like he has more gas in the tank for a longer deal

Doesn't seem like that new deal will come with his current team.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

looks to me like Hillis is saving the hard Mileage on his body so it looks like he has more gas in the tank for a longer deal

well, he's not helping his contract status right now. known as having a little injury history with no track record at being a workhorse (last year he 'wore down' and played hurt down the stretch). now, he's hurt pretty much the whole year.

if his plan is to have one less stressful year, then it is the worst plan in the history of the NFL (other than Modell leaving Cleveland)

still a long ways to go about whether or not he will re-sign here, but he is getting cheaper by the week.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fujita, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, and Josh Cribbs are all named in the article. So, that's 4 of the 8 and 4 more than usually get actually named in these types of articles.

there's a couple random quotes from a 'veteran' but it could easily just be that Silver didn't formally ask permission and wanted to get this in print (or they could have denied permission to use their name)

Fujita, Thomas, Mack and Cribbs weren't critical of him, at least in the quotes used by Silver. I want to know who the several negative quotes are attributed to. They're not "random quotes", as you put it. They're quite damning, actually, if they are indicative of the way the locker room as a whole feels. That's why I want to know who said them. Over-the-hill journeyman vets who've bounced around the league? Highly drafted players who are still on rookie deals? High-paid vets who've earned their pay, like Joe Thomas? It goes quite a ways in being able to gauge whether the statements have real merit, or its just some guy sounding off when he got the chance but doesn't want to be known as a guy who bashes teammates and airs dirty laundry to the media because he'll probably be with a different team next season.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Mike Silver is actually not a "hack" writer.

His own website professes that one of his primary goals is to "stir up controversy". Dude's Jim Rome on the Internet. Hack. But that's neither here nor there.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

No it is looking more and more like he is a me first guy and he will chase the almighty dollar. I hear him talk and everything is about the Lord giveth to me and put him here for a reason. Well, the Lord put you here for a reason and we gave you achance and helped you establish yourself as a player. If we didn't happen his career would be a backup FB. Now thank the Lord and sign for a reasonable amount.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
More good news.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/04/peyton-hillis-expected-to-miss-at-least-two-weeks/

Peyton Hillis expected to miss “at least” two weeks
Posted by Josh Alper on November 4, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT

A bad season for Peyton Hillis just keeps getting worse.

Hillis re-injured his hamstring during Browns practice on Friday and early reports are that it will be a while before he gets back onto the field. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that an MRI of Hillis’ hamstring showed “significant aggravation” and he is expected to miss “at least a couple of weeks” as a result. Hillis has missed the last two games and was expected to start Sunday against Houston before today’s practice.

If dealing with this injury wasn’t bad enough, Hillis also has to deal with a report that eight of his teammates held an “intervention” with him to try to get him to improve his attitude.

“It’s like he’s in a funk that he can’t get out of, and it’s killing us, because we really need him,” a Browns player told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “And we’ve told him that. But we’re at the point where we just don’t know what to do.”

Now it seems they’ll have a little more time to figure out a better approach. Chris Ogbonnaya will start at tailback for the Browns on Sunday.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
That is good news, actually. It means that there will be no expectation of him playing next week, and thus, no reason to try to rush him back from an injury that everybody in the world knows lingers if you don't let it fully heal. It's what they should've done as soon as he got hurt in that game: said "it's a hamstring injury, the only thing that will heal it is time, so we're shutting him down for three weeks minimum."

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Im glad I didnt order his jersey. I am a huge Hillis fan and this season has just sucked.

Legend
Legend
Just great. Like Hee Haw: "If It Weren't for Bad Luck, I'd have No Luck at All; Gloom, Despair, and Agony on Me!"

Hammy can take a long time to heal, especially if you rush it, and double especially if you injure it again. Break out Smith. Running back by committee.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Here is the full story from Mike Silver. On a side note I got to this story from a link that Alex Mack re-Tweeted.

Quote:

BEREA, Ohio – The Cleveland Browns’ team charter had taxied onto the Hopkins International Airport runway last Friday when a flight attendant pulled a small piece of paper out of a white paper bag and made an announcement: “And the winner is … Number 40.”

Peyton Hillis, the team’s injured and beleaguered halfback, had won the game of “Hot 20,” a lottery-like parlaying of players’ per-diem allocations.

“Congratulations, Peyton,” a Browns veteran yelled from the back of the plane as Hillis strode forward to collect his winnings. “You finally got paid!”

The comment, and a slew of similarly sarcastic jeers from other Cleveland players, drew laughs from aisle to aisle. However, as Hillis counted his bag of petty cash and the Browns took off for San Francisco, where two days later they would lose to the 49ers to drop to 3-4, strains of distrust and dysfunction were swirling through the pressurized air.

By Wednesday, a group of about eight Browns veterans had summoned Hillis into a meeting room for an intervention-style, air-clearing session designed to restore his focus. After a breakout season in 2010 that vaulted him to national prominence, including a spot on the “Madden NFL ’12” cover, the 25-year-old back’s consuming desire for a new contract has become a locker room distraction that numerous teammates regard as an impediment to cohesion and collective success.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” says one Browns veteran. “Last year, Peyton was such a positive, inspirational force on our team – but now he’s like a different guy. It’s like he’s in a funk that he can’t get out of, and it’s killing us, because we really need him. And we’ve told him that. But we’re at the point where we just don’t know what to do.”

During an interview session with reporters in the locker room of the Browns’ training facility Thursday, Hillis conceded that his dissatisfaction with his contract and the accompanying controversies – including his decision to miss a late-September game against the Miami Dolphins while suffering from strep throat – have made it difficult to get his “mind right.”

“It’s been a humbling experience,” Hillis said Thursday after participating in a practice, despite a strained left hamstring that has caused him to miss the Browns’ last two games. He could miss Sunday’s game against the Houston Texans after reportedly aggravating his hamstring injury at practice Friday.

“It’s been a whirlwind coming from where I was to where I’m at now. I’m trying to grasp the whole situation and trying to deal with it. It’s still a learning process and I’m trying to do the best I can.”

Hillis insisted that “there’s never been a problem” with his intra-locker room relationships, but numerous Browns players indicated otherwise. While sympathetic to Hillis’ desire for a new deal – he’s in the final year of his rookie contract and will make $600,000 in 2011 – they believe he has allowed his frustrations surrounding the lack of progress on that front to detract from his focus.

Most conspicuously, Hillis sat out the Sept. 25 victory over the Dolphins after a week-long bout with strep throat, reporting to Cleveland Stadium hours before the game, informing team officials he felt too sick to play and heading home prior to the arrival of most of his teammates. He later said he decided not to play on the advice of his agent, Kennard McGuire, adding to the suspicions of teammates, Browns officials and fans that his contract situation affected his availability.

More recently, Hillis annoyed teammates after joining third-string quarterback Thaddeus Lewis in a conspicuous competition to throw footballs off the crossbar of the Candlestick Park goalposts about 90 minutes before Sunday’s 20-10 defeat to the Niners. Hillis, who had aggravated the hamstring strain in a practice a few days earlier, supposedly was a game-time decision; the spectacle occurred while other Browns players were stretching and engaging in warm-ups; it was captured by CBS TV cameras and discussed on the broadcast.

“It was a bad look,” one veteran said, “and it did not sit well with any of us.”

On Monday, Hillis was criticized by former Browns center LeCharles Bentley after missing a scheduled appearance at a Halloween party for the Cleveland Boys and Girls Club. Hillis has since apologized, citing a “miscommunication” with his management.

His miserable week continued when, on Wednesday morning, Hillis was summoned to a meeting room where, to his surprise, he encountered a group of veterans who expressed their concerns about his recent actions and demeanor.

“A few guys tried to talk to him, to make him understand the best way to go about things is to put your head down and do the best you possibly can,” said All-Pro tackle Joe Thomas, the team’s best and highest-paid player. “Because if the Browns aren’t going to pay you, some team will break the bank – and either way you need to play hard.”

Added linebacker Scott Fujita: “The fact that everyone has to get asked about [Hillis’ situation] by the local beat writers every day, it’s started to create a distraction, and it’s a shame that it has to be that way. I’m never gonna be in a position to question a player’s toughness. I just want him to be healthy and in the right frame of mind to help the team. More than anything else, that’s what our conversation with him was about.”

The tone of the meeting was mostly positive, with the veterans explaining to Hillis that some of his actions were being perceived negatively (they specifically cited the football-throwing incident before the Niners game) and that they needed his full commitment to help inject life into a struggling offense. After all, they have empathy for Hillis’ financially driven frustrations, a phenomenon that has not been uncommon in Cleveland’s locker room in recent years.

Browns players understand that running backs are particularly driven to maximize their earning potential because of the wear-and-tear endemic to the position, a position recently enunciated by Chicago Bears halfback Matt Forte, who has been frustrated by his inability to secure a new, lucrative deal.

Some Browns players believe current management hasn’t been overly supportive of Hillis at a time when the player seems to be mentally fragile and that everyone from team president Mike Holmgren to rookie coach Pat Shurmur could have handled the situation better. Shurmur told reporters it was his “understanding” that Hillis was sick before the Dolphins game, rather than unequivocally defending the player’s decision to sit out. There is also a sense that the organization’s three powerbrokers on the football side – Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert and Shurmur – may not be in lockstep on their handling of the situation or in the team’s direction in general.

Last month Holmgren, who coached the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks to a combined three Super Bowls, told reporters that negotiations between the team and Hillis were “quiet now” and that the two sides had “agreed to let Peyton play, let the dust settle and see what happens.” Holmgren declined an interview request this week, and McGuire – Hillis’ third agent since the end of the 2010 season – was unavailable Thursday because of a personal matter.

On the other hand, as one veteran player said, “The organization is not going to reward a guy they think is moping or acting out or going about it the wrong way, just out of principle, and because of the message it sends to younger guys. And I totally understand that.”

Heckert conceded on Thursday that “the guys we did sign [to big contracts], those are the guys we feel are ultimate team guys who want to be here.”

As to Hillis’ situation, Heckert said, “We’ve had numerous conversations. We were so far apart that [talks broke off]. It’s not like it’s a dead deal, but let’s see how he plays the rest of the season and then reassess. There’s a ton of time.”

A seventh-round draft pick out of Arkansas, where he was in the same backfield as Oakland Raiders star Darren McFadden, Hillis gained 397 yards in two seasons for the Broncos before being shipped to Cleveland with a pair of draft picks for quarterback Brady Quinn. The deal looked like a huge steal for the Browns in 2010 when Hillis emerged as a punishing lead back, running for 1,177 yards on 270 carries and scoring 11 of his 13 touchdowns on the ground.

This year, Hillis has run 60 times for 211 yards and two scores, and his per-carry average is down from 4.4 to 3.5 yards. His backup, Montario Hardesty, went down with a torn calf muscle against the 49ers, leaving the team with a pair of inexperienced alternatives if Hillis can’t play Sunday against the Texans in Houston Cleveland ranks 29th in the NFL in rushing yards per game (87.6).

“It’s tough not having him out here for whatever reason it is,” Thomas said of Hillis. “He can definitely make a difference, cause he’s a difference-maker. I really think safeties and linebackers, when they have to play against a healthy Peyton, they’re scared. He hurt two guys on one play last year against the Bengals; it was crazy. Whatever’s going on, hopefully they can get it worked out, because we need him.”

Pro Bowl center Alex Mack expressed a similar sentiment, saying, “He’s really important. He’s a strong, hard runner, so he’ll turn a lousy, one-yard run into a four-yard gain, or a four-yard run into an eight-yard gain. Then Coach gets more comfortable calling runs, and down-and-distance situations improve. He runs so hard that he makes you look good as a lineman, no matter what, and you start blocking better.”

Mack inadvertently made Hillis look bad in early October when, a week after Hillis skipped the Dolphins game with strep throat, the lineman toughed out a home defeat to the Titans with a stomach ailment that was diagnosed the following day as appendicitis. Mack had surgery during the team’s bye week and returned 13 days later to play in a 24-17 defeat to the Raiders in Oakland.

“I would defend [Hillis’] decision not to play,” Mack insisted. “You love the game of football until you prove otherwise. People don’t play in the Senior Bowl all the time, because you don’t want to look bad and hurt your draft position. So if you’re not healthy and in a contract year – and you lost a lot of weight, couldn’t eat and felt terrible – maybe it’s the best decision for yourself and your team.”

Wide receiver and special teams ace Joshua Cribbs, who endured his own contract-related drama before finally landing a new deal in January of 2010 shortly after Holmgren’s arrival, believes Hillis’ smartest decision at this point is to get over his frustration and play at the highest level possible.

“I gave him the same advice [Hall of Fame running back and Browns legend] Jim Brown gave me: ‘Just play, and you’ll get what you deserve,’ ” Cribbs said Thursday. “Our advice to him is to do what he does best. Just play. He’s been forthcoming, letting guys know what’s going on. He already proved himself [last year]. I feel for him. [Now] he has a chip on his shoulder, so he’s more apt to prove himself.”

Teammates say that a productive, focused performance against the Texans would go a long way toward Hillis winning back support in the locker room. In the meantime, there is rampant skepticism about his behavior and mindset.

Referring to Hillis’ collection of the Hot 20 bounty on last Friday’s flight, one veteran player said, “Once that happened, I stopped believing in karma for good.”

Asked about Hillis’ stroke of luck in the locker room Thursday, Thomas gave a wan smile and shook his head.

“Hopefully,” Thomas said, “he spent it wisely.”

Whether Hillis can recover his locker room capital remains to be seen.

Link

Doesn't seem like Hillis is very popular.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know if all the wheels are off, but at least two of them are and a third about to drop.

Sorry. Until the management of this team gets better, we aren't going anywhere but down.

I can't wait to get my next letter from Mike talking about the future and pride....LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hillis reinjures hamstring during practice

Link Copied to Clipboard