Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm so glad I wasn't alive for RR88, I would have thrown the tv out the window, all 200 pounds of it.

Legend
Legend
I remember the excitement of the Sunday Night game between the Jets and Packers, because the Jets winning meant we made it to the playoffs!

Then I remember falling to the floor as Andre (King?) couldn't get out of bounds in time and Phil never even got a shot...

Just sitting there...

Got in a fight with a close friend that day over something silly just because I was in a bad mood...

Go Browns.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
For those that weren't around for red right 88, the drive or the fumble, or when watching the drive unfold and my wife coming in the room saying to me, "Marty's on the phone and he wants your advice", well, you missed some good times. Heartbreaking to be sure but we had a good team then.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
j/c

to all defectors: an open letter from a "womb 2 tomb" Browns fan:

G o
O n
O ut the
D oor.

B et
Y ou
E ventually

A bandon your
N ew
"D awgs" too.

G et
O ut.
O ur
D awgpound

R eally isn't
I nterested in
D eclarations of
D efection.
A dios...
N ow
C lear your locker... and
E migrate.

As for my own opinion, the mark of a true fan isn't how loudly he cheers when his team is winning, it's how faithful he remains when times are tough. We all had the perfect opportunity to find a new team when The Dark Years were upon us. From what I can tell, most of us were so loyal to the Browns that we waited for The Return without even considering a change of allegiance. That tells me all I need to know about My Fellow Dawgs.

I think about this fact- one that distinguishes Browns Fans from every other fan base in the league- and it makes my chest swell with pride:

No other fanbase in the history of professional sports has ever lost its franchise... and fought (successfully) to retain the rights to its name, colors, history, and city of origin. Noone else but Browns fans.

From their start, The Cleveland Browns have been an American Original... and because of the efforts of their fans during those dark years between 1996 and 1999, That American Original still belongs to us... in Cleveland, Ohio. At Cleveland Browns Stadium (...without some corporate logo slapped on every seatback in the mezzanine).

I will remain a fan of the Browns until they pry my Browns banner from my cold, lifeless hands... and it's not just because of my loyalty to the team and My Family's tradition... it's because of my loyalty to all my fellow fans, as well. It's you who helped us even HAVE Cleveland Browns football in 2011.

So... to all the Joe 88's out there who want to jump ship... get out. Don't look back. The fewer of your kind there is around here, the stronger the fanbase that remains. Darwinism at its finest. The slow ones, the weak ones, the dumb ones, the unworthy ones... CULL THEM ALL FROM THE PACK. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. With ruthlessness and extreme prejudice.

When fortunes change (and they always do), there will be some of us still here.... truly enjoying not only the newfound good times, but savoring every step that got us there....

...because the journey defines the story (and by extension, the fan)- not the ending.

When that day comes and you want back in, you'll probably be welcomed, because that's just how Browns fans are. Just don't be surprised if one of us die-hards remembers your weak azz.... and bitchslapps a big adhesive asterisk on the back of your brand new Browns jersey.

Thanks for your proclamation of weakness. Now please leave, and go root for someone else- anyone else.... ya sellout.

[/rant]
Clemdawg: out.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

My first memory of the Browns was The Drive. Ya I know crazy.

On my 16th birthday, Jose Mesa blew a 9th inning lead in Game 7 of the world series.

You poor, poor man!

Screw chipping in on this sight. We all need to chip in and get Spergon here some psychotherapy.......

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Tulsa #634777 11/09/11 02:01 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Not jumping ship, but, was just thinking in the Shower whilst washing my hair,
What plan, what process, can include cutting ties with Delhomme, Robo, Vickers, and now Hillis, .... and then Holmgren, ( I think it was him) makes the comment, " that other team has 8 1st round picks on their team."

hmm...
Cut Delhomme, When McCoy became a Clear franchise qb of the future? didn't happen.
Cut Vickers, when Marecic had clearly outperformed during Camp when you could evaluate players every day? didn't happen that way.

Cut Hillis, because Hardesty has had 6 straigth 100+ yd games and is lighting up the league? Didn't happen.

Cut Robo, not just bench him, because C Mitchell , or Norwood, or ANYBODY is often getting... or ONCE getting a 100 yd receiving day, and on pace to get 9+ td's this year? Didn't happen that way.

( This post assumes Hillis is just done, that agreeing to let him seek free agency at the end of the year, means , just that, that Hillis as a Brown is just done.)

Jump ship? No , not yet, ... shoot this isn't even as bad as Bud Carson, won't be too bad unless the Bungles make the Sb, at least they don't have dancing Woods.
Don't Jump ship, but these things above,
What ARRRRE they thinking?

We wish you Would Jump Ship TL, this place would be better off.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
LOL

I know you were being serious Clem. I just found humour at the end talking about the asterisk.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

unlike many on here..I choose not to belittle or be get angry at this guy.
He's frustated for a myrid of reasons.
I applaud loyalty....but only in marriage,workplace and frienships.
Sportsteams..its entertainment.
just because he wants to support a franchise that actually has a plan to win each year and a capable front office that makes wise player personel decisions..doesn't make him horrible.
I have a handful of friends who have PSL's for the Browns who have invested more into the Browns than the Browns have gave them back.

Which team do you root for Storm?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

But if the Browns win a Super Bowl... I probably won't be useful for at least 9 days...

LOL.....I've said the same thing for years, Every year my boss & I have the same conversation, if the Browns win the Super bowl dont expect me into work for about a week...he replys....see ya monday

LOL....I agree....LMAO

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
J/C....I for one can't say I blame the guy for leaving. I for one will never leave, but unfortunately I understand the frustration. I was born in 76 so I have a lot of fond memories, unfortunately most of them end in a loss (referring to the 80's and 90's playoff runs). I remember how excited the city gets when the team wins and all of the crazy songs that played on the radio in the 80's. Those were the days.

Reality though, that franchise is in Baltimore. We all hate to admit it. The team that is here now is a feeble attempt to replicate what once was. I hate to admit it, but we all have to be willing to accept losing records for at least 2 more seasons. If the Browns can stick with this regime and build some sort of consistency, then I have to believe we will see a winner in 2014.

I hope???.....

Legend
Legend
Reading False Start by Terry Pluto didn't help at all...

Last edited by OSGuy; 11/09/11 11:28 AM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

But if the Browns win a Super Bowl... I probably won't be useful for at least 9 days...

LOL.....I've said the same thing for years, Every year my boss & I have the same conversation, if the Browns win the Super bowl dont expect me into work for about a week...he replys....see ya monday

LOL....I agree....LMAO

At this point in my life, I actually think winning will now be anticlimatic. It's going to be sweet for about 24 hours, then when life gets back to normal we'll all be wondering "is this it?". It's just such a long time coming that it will never be able to match what we think we will feel.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
You're probably right.

For me, I think it will be a rush of euphoria, followed by a mellow sense of satisfaction- that I/we stuck it out through all the losing to finally see our efforts rewarded. I'll think about My Pops- and how he got to see Otto Graham and Dante Lavelli in those early days after he came home from WWll. How he got to see Paul Brown integrate pro football with his hiring of Marion Motley. I'll definitely feel satisfaction in being there for the writing of a positive chapter in the ongoing Browns history book.

I imagine that it will feel like a warm glow from a wintwer fireplace, rather than a supernova. If so, that will be alright with me.

But- in the end, I'll still have to get up the following day, and get on with my life.... just as you implied.

I suppose to really know what it woud be like before that day, one might interview a handful of Red Sox fans to see how they felt when they finally won the WS some years back.

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I suppose to really know what it woud be like before that day, one might interview a handful of Red Sox fans to see how they felt when they finally won the WS some years back.

I got in an argument with a Boston fan after they won in 2004...

He claimed to know how I felt as it relates to the Browns...

He's also a Celtics and Patriots fan...

I told him in so many words "You have no idea."

Joe88 #634786 11/10/11 08:11 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My 40 plus years as a Browns fan are over. My number one team is the Baltimore Ravens.

Good-bye. Us fans will hold down the fort ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
my fantasy football team.

J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
I expected most of the replies. One reply from a confused man named gm was out of line. Comparing my actions like leaving a sick wife or child or pet. That is absurd, if anyone takes a form of entertainment as important as ones family, I feel bad for the persons family. Giving support to Lerner and Holmgren is despicable. Lerner is incompetent and Holmgren can't take care of his health. The Browns of Jim Brown, cardiac kids, and the Marty teams, all of there lineage resides in Baltimore. For those continuing to support the Cleveland team, well good luck my friends.

Joe88 #634789 11/10/11 11:17 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So let me ask you this. Rooting for a guy that "can't take care of his health" is "despicable", as you put it.

But, you're going to go root for a team with a murderer on it? (Ray Lewis)

Way to have your priorities straight.

Joe88 #634790 11/10/11 11:34 AM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

Dude, just quit posting, do what you said you're going to do, and leave. If you no longer care about this team, which is what you've stated, then there's nothing left to say, so just stop posting, leave, and don't come back. There's nothing to accomplish here in this idiotic thread......

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Joe88 #634791 11/10/11 11:42 AM
Legend
Legend
You are still here so for me it's: Liar Liar, Pants on fire

seriously, GM is one of the good guys.. and I wish I'd have said that same thing he did..

If you are a truly devoted fan, husband, lover, father, brother (whatever) you don't leave the side of your loved ones because they are having trouble.

That's the point he was making and I agree with him 100%

So please,, if you are going to leave,, do so.... Bye

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

my fantasy football team.

Joe88 #634793 11/10/11 01:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I expected most of the replies. One reply from a confused man named gm was out of line. Comparing my actions like leaving a sick wife or child or pet. That is absurd, if anyone takes a form of entertainment as important as ones family, I feel bad for the persons family. Giving support to Lerner and Holmgren is despicable. Lerner is incompetent and Holmgren can't take care of his health. The Browns of Jim Brown, cardiac kids, and the Marty teams, all of there lineage resides in Baltimore. For those continuing to support the Cleveland team, well good luck my friends.

Loyalty is loyalty bro. IMO if a person can turn their back on one thing they can turn it on others. I wish nothing but the best for your family, your dog, and yourself, when it comes to everything but football.

BTW I think I can speak for most of us when I say we give our support to the CLEVELAND BROWNS not just Lerner or Holmgren, heck many of us didn't like Modell before the move but we supported the TEAM. I know 1st hand several ex-browns players who were ignorant, spoiled, rude, obnoxious, SOB's but I didn't run off and quick rooting for the Browns because I didn't like certain players.

J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
Quote:

Dude, just quit posting, do what you said you're going to do, and leave. If you no longer care about this team, which is what you've stated, then there's nothing left to say, so just stop posting, leave, and don't come back. There's nothing to accomplish here in this idiotic thread......

I said I was changing teams, I don't recall ever saying I was leaving the board my friend. Once I find a Raven's board I like, I will be here much less. Take care of yourself Mr. Toad.

Joe88 #634795 11/10/11 02:17 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N

as a self-professed Ravens fan, you shall be treated as such on this board. if you want to write with respect and offer opinions, then you can (just ask Raven-Mike)

if you want to call our owner incompetent and our team president fat, then never post outside of the smack shack.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
At 1:22 PM EST, the ship-jumper's post count was at 72.

Joe88 #634797 11/10/11 02:23 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Raven's

Ravens.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Raven's

Ravens.

Maybe he's possessed by a Raven?

S
Legend
Legend
S
he's possessed by horrible punctuation.

Joe88 #634800 11/10/11 03:10 PM
Legend
Legend
To sell your soul, your identity and more,
as if you were a two bit whore,
why continue posts galore?
just go and come back nevermore.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
HEY GUY'S I DONT WANT TO WATCH THE BROWN'S ANYMORE, I CANT' TAKE IT THEY NEVER SCORE ANY TOUCHDOWN'S!!

Joe88 #634802 11/10/11 03:25 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I said I was changing teams, I don't recall ever saying I was leaving the board my friend. Once I find a Raven's board I like, I will be here much less.

"HEY EVERYBODY! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME, EVERYONE!"

PDR #634803 11/10/11 03:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why? Are you (not) leaving too?

Last edited by jfanent; 11/10/11 03:31 PM.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Raven's

Ravens.

Maybe he's possessed by a Raven?

If that were the case, wouldn't he have been "ravened"

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Legend
Legend
S
He'll be here all week folks.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Why? Are you (not) leaving too?

After our next loss, I'm planning to announce a defection to Canadian football.

Haven't decided who I'm going to root for, but Toronto or Saskatchewan are the frontrunners.

I'll still post on this board, but once I find a good Argonauts board I will probably post here less. Good luck with your Browns fandom, jfanent.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

now THIS was clever!

#GMStong
Joe88 #634808 11/10/11 07:12 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I said I was changing teams, I don't recall ever saying I was leaving the board my friend. Once I find a Raven's board I like, I will be here much less. Take care of yourself Mr. Toad.

Before November 7th, the day you officially jumped, You hadn't posted on here for 5 months, and 5 months before that...

So before the day you felt the need to tell everyone you were jumping ship, you had ONE POST IN A TEN MONTH SPAN...

But NOW that you've jumped, you're going to hang around?

...Really?

.......Really?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

now THIS was clever!

Thanks. I'm quite the poet, but this was my first that didn't begin with "There once was a man from......."

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Joe88 #634810 11/10/11 07:57 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

You're a fan of a different team. What would you want here other than to gloat if your new-found team wins a game against the Browns?

Will you be around when the Browns improve and win a game vs. the Rats? Probably not. I figure you to be like the average bengals fan and only show up if you're winning and hide when you lose.

I figure that because of your well publicized lack of any loyalty to a team you root for.

#gmstrong
Joe88 #634811 11/12/11 07:22 AM
Legend
Legend
troll.... you want to stop cheering for the browns fine.... but cheering for the Rats is just sickening.... don't come back....

<><

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum I am jumping ship

Link Copied to Clipboard