Print Thread
#644340 12/20/11 06:38 PM
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Browns make roster moves

The Browns made a series of roster moves, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.
The Cleveland Browns today signed free agent tight end Dan Gronkowski and promoted linebacker Brian Smith to the active roster from the team’s practice squad. In addition, the club placed linebacker Titus Brown and tight end Alex Smith on injured reserve. The team also signed wide receiver Torrey Grissett and linebacker Craig Robertson to the practice squad.

Originally drafted by Detroit in the seventh round (255th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft, Gronkowski has appeared in 19 career games with five starts and has recorded nine receptions for 69 yards. He spent the first 12 weeks of his rookie season on the Lions’ practice squad before appearing in two contests. He was traded to the Denver Broncos along with a draft pick for defensive back Alphonso Smith on September 4, 2010. Gronkowski appeared in 12 games with the Broncos last season and recorded eight receptions for 65 yards. He was waived on September 7, 2011 and was later signed by New England. In two stints with the Patriots this season, Gronkowski appeared in five games with one start. He was waived by New England on November 8. A four-year letterman at the University of Maryland (2005-08), Gronkowski recorded 40 career receptions for 401 yards and four touchdowns. Born January 21, 1985, the 6-5, 255-pound Gronkowski is a native of Williamsville N.Y., where he attended Williamsville High School. He is the brother of New England Patriots’ tight end Rob Gronkowski and Indianapolis Colts’ fullback Chris Gronkowski. He will wear No. 87.

Brian Smith was originally signed by the Browns as an undrafted free agent on July 30, 2011. He appeared in all four preseason games and recorded four tackles, one sack and one forced fumble. He was waived on September 3. He has spent the past three weeks on the Browns’ practice squad after re-joining the team on November 29. Smith’s full bio can be found on page 104 of the 2011 media guide. He will wear No. 53.

Grissett attended Campbell University where he redshirted in 2007. In 2009, he spent time with the Tampa Bay Storm of the Arena Football League (AFL) and spent 2010 with the Amarillo Venom of the Indoor Football League (IFL). Born April 24, 1989, the 5-11, 200-pound Grissett is a native of Miami Fla., who graduated from Douglas Byrd High School in Fayetteville, N.C.

Robertson was a four-year letterman at the University of North Texas (2006-10), where he appeared in 48 games. He totaled 382 career tackles, 3.5 sacks and had nine interceptions. Born February 11, 1988, the 6-1, 229-pound Robertson is a native of Stafford, Texas, where he attended Stafford High School.

Brown appeared in 10 games this season as a reserve. He recorded three tackles and a sack on defense and added three stops on stops on special teams. Alex Smith saw action in all 14 games with three starts. He totaled 14 receptions for 131 yards and a touchdown.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...bc-611e2cfd6084

Legend
Legend
good for Brian. Sad about Titus and Alex.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 12/20/11 06:40 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds good to me. Not that I am happy other guys got hurt, but you might as well see what a few of these guys have.

Along those lines, I'd scour other teams practice squads. Find good teams with a really strong unit, be it running back, wide receiver, backer, etc. and see if they have a player at that position stashed on the PC.

If so, cut a few of the guys who we know pretty much suck, or won't be on the squad next year due to age, contract terms, etc, and sign them to a contract for a 2 game try-out.

We did that with the Texans who have Foster and Tate and Big O has been a decent addition. Not great, but a good addition who has produced for us.

Do it at some other positions.

You don't just build a roster from the top down. Doing it from the bottom up may not be just as important, but pretty close.

Now is a perfect time to do that.

Possibly grab a player who is going to make someone else's team next year.

If not, you aren't out much. You can always find another scrub to fill a roster. We've been doing it for years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Smith made one big splash during the preseason.. lets see if he can make an impact when it counts..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gronkowski!!!! Am I the only one excited about this signing? If he can be half of what his brother is for Tom Brady, we might of struck gold here. Hope he gets some playing time this weekend.

#brownsgoodkarma
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

We did that with the Texans who have Foster and Tate and Big O has been a decent addition. Not great, but a good addition who has produced for us.

I'm not saying that Ogbonnaya is ever going to be Barry Sanders, but could you imagine how horrendous the running game would have been without him (not that it's been miraculous with him)? I don't care what they did in college or what the tea leaves read for next season - if a spot comes down to Hardesty or Ogbonnaya I'm taking O in a heartbeat.

And along the lines of your thinking - did you catch the story a week or so ago with the dude on the GB practice squad? I think Minnesota tried to sign him to their active roster and he declined... wanted to be a part of the Packers. I say good for him.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Gronkowski!!!! Am I the only one excited about this signing? If he can be half of what his brother is for Tom Brady, we might of struck gold here. Hope he gets some playing time this weekend.

If he was anywhere near as good as his brother, he wouldn't have been available on the free agent market. I don't see much to get excited about. Yet.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Exactly.

I would be awful in my brother's job.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Sounds good to me. Not that I am happy other guys got hurt, but you might as well see what a few of these guys have.

Along those lines, I'd scour other teams practice squads. Find good teams with a really strong unit, be it running back, wide receiver, backer, etc. and see if they have a player at that position stashed on the PC.

If so, cut a few of the guys who we know pretty much suck, or won't be on the squad next year due to age, contract terms, etc, and sign them to a contract for a 2 game try-out.

Do it at some other positions.

You don't just build a roster from the top down. Doing it from the bottom up may not be just as important, but pretty close.

Now is a perfect time to do that.

Possibly grab a player who is going to make someone else's team next year.

If not, you aren't out much. You can always find another scrub to fill a roster. We've been doing it for years.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

If he was anywhere near as good as his brother, he wouldn't have been available on the free agent market. I don't see much to get excited about. Yet.

There are ALOT of guys on the FA wire that are legit. He can come in with low expectations and shine. The guy has it in his blood and looks the part, I am keeping my fingers crossed on him. Heck he cant be any worse than Jordan.....I think this is a SOLID signing, and Heckert might come out smelling like roses on this one.

I coulld be very wrong, but I got a feeling we got something special here!

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Hey! I'll have you know that Jordan Cameron came out of the Arizona game with 3 catches for a whopping 8 yards!

Ummm .... OK ...... back to pimping the waiver wire guys ....... lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You are right, with that kind of stat line you have obviously proved me wrong.

How many TE's do teams usally keep on their rosters? Its not like WR, or RB where teams keep alot. I think yall are going to be suprised with this kid.

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
LOL I hope you know that was a joke.

I really don't expect much out of this new guy. He might not even see the field.

With Smith and Watson both on IR, we have Moore and Jordan Cameron at TE. I don't know how Cameron's blocking is, so that may be the new guy's opportunity.

Legend
Legend
Glad to see some roster stirring going on. Hope to see some new blood on the field and see what we might have. Gronk really intrigues me as a signing. Maybe he is a shadow of the older Gronk, but it may be better than we have at this point. Hope they run some more wideouts through this process as "lame duck" season winds down. Use the probable losses to generate some future hopes. Go ahead! Make me cheer! Welcome aboard to the newbs.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah I new it was a joke, i forgot to click the laughing icon tbh.

I think the main reason we signed this guy is because he can block....I think Moore, and Cameron are more hybrid te/wr. We will see...Im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping we found gold.

It is Believeland after all right? lol

#brownsgoodkarma
N
Legend
Legend
N
I can see the PD headline now

BROWNS SIGN TE GRONKOWSKI

that'll get them some clicks.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All I know is that Cameron is slow !

Legend
Legend
Quote:

All I know is that Cameron is slow !

He's supposed to be quick and agile ..... with his basketball background and all ..... but he just looked ....... lumbering to me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Talk like this just draws me back into my Tom Terrific statements and mini rants

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns make roster moves

Link Copied to Clipboard