Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
I think USC is bowl eligible in 2012. I think that's going to play a role in his decision.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Legend
Legend
N
yes, they are. they are also losing 10 scholarships for each of the next 3 years, but that shouldn't affect next year's team much at least.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So ESPN isn't functioning right now on my cable box or anywhere else in the house.....what's happening? I saw him come up and then lost signal, on only ESPN

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's staying at USC.

D
Legend
Legend
D

B
1st String
1st String
B
Which means no 1st pick QB for the Browns. If RGIII is there when we pick, I bet we trade down with either Miami or Wash.

If Colt still isn't cleared to play by the Pitt game, we will have to at least take another 3rd/4th round QB though, as we will need someone if Colt ends up Crosby'd from this.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
And Blackmon felt way out of reach BEFORE the announcement . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And Blackmon felt way out of reach BEFORE the announcement . . .

Well, the Rams or Jags were going to take him before we had a chance anyway. However, maybe now some team will think we're going to grab Griffin, trade with the Rams or Jags to take Griffin, and that leaves Blackmon sitting there for us.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
1st String
1st String
B
Blackmon could still fall (I doubt it though). The silly combine will determine more than it should as usual and someone's "stock" may rise enough that both the Rams and Vikes go for something other than WR (of course I don't see him slipping past Jax, but who knows).

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Best case scenario for us.

The Colts decide they are going to roll with Manning and decide to put enough talent around him to win NOW.

They are going to get offered 3 first round picks by teams like Miami, Washington, etc.

But, we're the only team in need of a QB that has two first round picks to give THIS YEAR.

Rather than taking 3 first round picks and having to wait for the 2014 draft, the Colts go all in. Take our two firsts and our second to try to win now.

They ignore the future and go all in for the now with Manning.

We move up to #1 and take Luck.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Best case scenario for us.

The Colts decide they are going to roll with Manning and decide to put enough talent around him to win NOW.

They are going to get offered 3 first round picks by teams like Miami, Washington, etc.

But, we're the only team in need of a QB that has two first round picks to give THIS YEAR.

Rather than taking 3 first round picks and having to wait for the 2014 draft, the Colts go all in. Take our two firsts and our second to try to win now.

They ignore the future and go all in for the now with Manning.

We move up to #1 and take Luck.

Sounds more like worst case scenario to me. I'd rather have the 3 picks.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'd rather have a Quarterback than 3 picks.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Which means no 1st pick QB for the Browns. If RGIII is there when we pick, I bet we trade down with either Miami or Wash.

I was thinking about this same thing this morning. RG3 seems like a Snyder pick to me. I'd be all for an extra 3rd rounder to move down a couple spots and still be able to pick up Richardson, Coples, or whomever we're wanting.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I don't feel any unproven commodity is worth that price.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

i just don't see them not wanting our 2 1sts this year, our 2nd this year, and at least our 1st next year too (and probably our 2nd)

if it's the 2 1st's this year and our 2nd. i'd think about it hard. that is fair value and my god there would be an eruption of excitement (which is always fun even when it eventually blows up in our faces)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The thing is, other teams are probably going to offer them 3 firsts and maybe a 3rd or something like that.

My thinking is, we could be able to get it for 2 firsts and a 2nd because we can give that all to them THIS YEAR.

If you're the Colts, and you have these options, which would you take in a trade ...

Scenario A :

2012 Pick #5
2012 Pick #22
2012 Pick #36

Scenario B :

2012 Pick #7
2012 Pick #73
2013 First Round
2014 First Round

What would you do?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If I'm Indy, I know my window is closing with Manning.

I take scenario A, take 5 picks in the top 36 and run with it.

N
Legend
Legend
N
well, considering the standard is to downgrade each year by a round, 3 firsts in that manner would be considered a 1st, 2nd, and 2x3rds (this year and the 1st in 2014). So, of course, 2 1sts and a 2nd trumps that offer.

but, I think someone would try to overwhelm them with more. I hope you are correct because it could set us up longterm without affecting future drafts.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
That's my point though.

It's easy to say that it's going to take all these picks to move up, but the fact is, we can offer a lot RIGHT NOW. That's something other teams can't do. (At least teams that would consider making a trade for a QB)

N
Legend
Legend
N
one HUGE thing though. FA is back to it's predraft starting point. if we make this trade, then we have alot more holes to plug in FA. if we don't, then we have 2 or 3 extra picks (depending on what we do at QB).

so, I would actually make this offer in mid-to-late February to the Colts and tell them take it or leave it. tell them we need to know what to do in FA and they need to decide.

might not work, but might as well give it a try.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Considering that the Colts owe Manning a $28 million roster bonus before the new league year begins, it's not the most outlandish thought. They're going to have to make a decision one way or the other before that point, unless they can somehow convince him to restructure his deal between now and then.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

So true...and throw in 1 of our 4th AND 6th to sweeten the pot to upgrade some depth/ST too....they get 4 extra picks THIS draft and we still have 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th round selections left....and haven't compromised ANY future drafts

I'd do that in a heartbeat (and try to do that in my mock, not sure the Colts GM is gonna listen though) but I doubt the Colts would do it....I think anyone who wants Luck has to throw in a 1st or 2nd in 2013

That's why I'd give up our 1st 2013 and try to keep this year's 2nd and 4th...both scenarios work for me

The highest price I'd pay would probably be both 1sts and 1x 4th THIS draft and the 1st 2013

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
N
Legend
Legend
N
great point. though, they could just decide to let Luck learn for 1 season (don't see it being more than that) while keeping Peyton the starter.

that would be awfully risky (if Peyton gets hurt, then his trade value would be near nil and they wouldn't trade Luck at that point). not to mention they couldn't bolster next year's team for a Superbowl run (which seems ridiculous after seeing the Colts this year)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Considering that the Colts owe Manning a $28 million roster bonus before the new league year begins, it's not the most outlandish thought. They're going to have to make a decision one way or the other before that point, unless they can somehow convince him to restructure his deal between now and then.

Yup, money will be a huge factor for them. I don't see many scenarios that don't involve the Colts taking Luck. Manning is hurt and may never be the same. They may not even have Manning to go all-in with.

IMO, they're taking Luck. I'd give it a 95% chance. The other 5%......if some team comes by and offers them 3-4 1st rounders and 3-4 2nd rounders too. Something completely over the top would have to turn them into sellers.

If Luck is as good as everyone thinks, NO package will be enough to trade away "the next Elway". And with Manning being hurt and old, why would they trade him away?

And why does anyone assume the only way to get a QB is to find one in the top 3 slots in the draft? Do we have to rattle off the QBs that are currently atop the NFL that weren't drafted there? Please. We have lots and lots of holes to fill anyway, we're in no position to be giving up the next two draft for one body.

Give me 6 in the top 4 rounds (or more if we can trade down some more).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Problem for the Colts is...what Offense do you learn behind Peyton? Manning runs his own Offense....that's why the Colts backups struggle so much (and probably why the management didn't bother getting a decent backup in...they knew they'd suck if Peyton is out)

This is highlander stuff imho....they CANT co-exist, not even for 1 year (and Colts wont pay Manning 20+ millions for 1 season anyway)...Luck stayed for his SR year, he's as day 1 ready as any QB picked in the last 10 years and I'm sure he wants to start day 1

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
There's no way Manning and Luck are both on the Colts roster next year.

The Colts are going to have to make a decision.

Go all-in for now and unload that pick and add a bunch of talent around Manning right now.

Or, cut ties with Manning and start building for the future.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I agree that I doubt the Colts want them to both be there. But, it is an option in their back pocket if they are not getting the offers that they want.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well this SUCKS!

We had a chance of coming in at 3-4 and getting our QB. Now that has changed. We need to lose out and get a lot of help in order to get RG3 ...... assuming that he comes out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
don't underestimate Miami or Washington trading up for RGIII too

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking about this same thing this morning. RG3 seems like a Snyder pick to me. I'd be all for an extra 3rd rounder to move down a couple spots and still be able to pick up Richardson, Coples, or whomever we're wanting.

Boy, I would sure hope that we got more than just another 3rd round pick. I would look to get their next year's 1st.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Well this SUCKS!

We had a chance of coming in at 3-4 and getting our QB. Now that has changed. We need to lose out and get a lot of help in order to get RG3 ...... assuming that he comes out.

So........let me see if I have this straight: All the gurus were talking about Barkely - but now he's not even going to be in the draft........and you say now that even RG3 may not be in the draft?

Is that right? If so, the draft threads need to be locked out until we know who might even be in the draft. And further more, ANY draft pick is a crap shoot.

Now you all can go back to your boards and jump on the next player that "might" declare for the draft.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
*yawn*

Don't like it? Don't come in the draft thread. Seems pretty simple to me.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We just got closer to Weeden

I think we will target Tannehill now and lucky Colt gets another shot next season

#gmstrong

B
1st String
1st String
B
This is so absurd. With our lack of talent (on both sides mind you), trading that much for Luck would be insane. And since it is the Browns, you and I both know that if we made that trade, Luck would likely suffer some career ending injury in game one as the result of a lavaman O'lay.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Picking QB is VERY risky but if you don't have one, you HAVE TO take those risks until you get it right

and before any Colt apologists chimes in....Colt got enough playing time and chance to show what he can and can't do than most guys picked after the 1st round...just ask Jimmy Clausen, Drew Stanton, John Beck, Croyle, Whitehurst, McGee etc etc

Colt is one lucky dude in terms of playing time for when he was picked and team/situation he was/is in...he should have never gotten this much playing time, esp. not as the undisputed starter...we were the only team that was desperate enough to "offer" him the job without a fight

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Hell Brady Quinn was a 1st round pick and he got 3 starts one year, 9 the next, and was sent packing.

People said how he'd make us regret trading him ..... how he'd flourish with better talent ... and "better coaching" ........

However, 12 starts was enough to know about Quinn. He played QB in a timid manner ..... he did not handle pressure well ....... and his arm was not good enough to win in December in Cleveland. he had "decent" stats ..... more TDs than INT ....was over 50% passing ....... but he was simply not doing the things a successful NFL QB must do. Quinn could hit the short passes. He just couldn't do much as far as creating big plays.

He's now had zero pass attempts in the 2 seasons he has spent with Denver .... even though they had QB issues, and concerns .... and were searching for a direction at QB.

If Quinn hss had enough time and exposure for the Broncos to make a decision on him .... and had enough time and exposure here in Cleveland .... then I'm not sure why people think that McCoy hasn't .... and that he has somehow been "cheated". Hell, he's had 21 starts, and has been given the starting job twice. (Last year with Mangini, and this year)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is so absurd. With our lack of talent (on both sides mind you), trading that much for Luck would be insane. And since it is the Browns, you and I both know that if we made that trade, Luck would likely suffer some career ending injury in game one as the result of a lavaman O'lay.

Not sure about that.....but he'd probably refuse to play in Cleveland anyway. So, we're better off infusing this team with tons of talent instead of one guy.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I generally prefer trading down to up, but part of the draft strategy of trading down for julio jones has to consider the possibility of a trade up in subsequent years. I also think Indy will wanna get another ring before Peyton hangs it up because that team is built to win RIGHT NOW, not groom a future QB. We all can be wrong but if I was indy i'd take the best offer for first overall and grab some complementary talent.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

*yawn*

Oh, I LOVE it. All the experts trading picks - selling us out to get..............................wait, the guy isn't even gonna be in the draft?

I love it! Shows what the board "experts" know.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

*yawn*

Oh, I LOVE it. All the experts trading picks - selling us out to get..............................wait, the guy isn't even gonna be in the draft?

I love it! Shows what the board "experts" know.

So you're basically posting to get a pat on the back or to be a jerk.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard