Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#645449 12/25/11 12:26 PM
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Looking at the roster...and the way the season has played out. We have many holes to plug. What do you think is the priority of the holes to plug?

I think:

WR: First and foremost...we need to find a WR that can replace MoMass as a starter. if we can shift Cribbs to 4th, keep Norwood at 3rd, and Little move to 2...our offense would look much more dangerous.
RT: Pashos stinks, and needs replaced immediately
RG: I hate Lauvao, more than Pashos...but RT is a more important position, and harder to fill.
RDE: Sheard is great on the left side...but Mitchell stinks. Schaefering has been good in spot duty, and is good depth, but isnt a starter. We need a legit guy on that side.
WOLB: Fujita just isnt a 4-3 starter. 3-4 OLB sure...ILB too, but not a 4-3 guy in the Jauron mold. Unless DQ moves there, we have a big weakness there. If he did move thereit would create a need in the middle, but i like DQ where he is. (however as an aside. I spent a lot of time thinking of good 4-3 OLBs, and really couldnt come up with any. every good OLB in the NFL plays in a 3-4...so who would we get for there...id say DQ, and get an Urlacher)

Those are our major holes in the starting lineup. I'll get to depth later

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the biggest one is offensive coordinator

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Quarterback
2. Wide Receiver
3. Defensive End
4. Free Safety
5. Right Tackle
6. Cornerback
7. Running Back
8. Linebacker

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Looking into depth:

I think we are set in the safety and corner spots...as we have good CBs and Safeties (imo): I think Skrine, Patterson, Young, and Hagg make good depth. not starters, but good depth.

We need backup LBs...Titus Brown is good as a reserve, but thats about it. Maiava has been okay...at best, could be upgraded (I liked Costanzo better)

I think on the DL: Paxton, Schaefering, Mitchell, English, and Benard make good depth (if Benard can recover)...but if not, adding another piece would be huge...and maybe adding a rotational guy would be good to keep Taylor and Rubin fresher.

on the OL: Vallos, and Hicks are good guard depth...but we dont have good depth at tackle. Need someone that can step up in a pinch...maybe Cousins could be that guy, but I dont think so. Greco couldnt get ahead of an awful Lauvao so I dont trust him...i dont much trust Cousins if he couldnt beat out a bad Pashos. We need new starters and reserves there.

WR: Norwood and Cribbs would be good depth, but Mitchell is a waste.

TE: a strength...good starters and good depth. Great job there.

RB: Behind Hillis...a fully healthy and full offseason for Hardesty and OGB will give us a good stable of RBs behind Hillis if we re-sign him which I hope happens...also, Armond Smith can develop

FB: The guy we brought in Williams just this past week off the PS could stay and I'd be fine with that.

QB: Seneca and Thaddeus fit what the backup depth system should look like.

In all...what we need to replace in terms of depth is:

RT
RG
LB (3 - 2 if Titus can stay healthy)
5th CB (to replace Ventrone on the roster)
5th WR (if Cribbs and Norwood are 3 and 4 were good)

I'd say the team has about 10-15 holes to fill to contend...the starters to be replaced will determine how far we can go...but the depth isnt a huge concern right now...as i think that when guys go down in many spots...it doesnt look worse (Patterson and Norwood getting more snaps, and Skrine on D...)

Our biggest dropoff this year with injury was TJ Ward...the rest was all about equal...debatably with Pashos as Cousins and Hicks were horrible, but not much of a drop off from horrible Pashos.

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm going with, in order of greatest need, draft and FA:

Draft

1) Quarterback
1b) Defensive end
2) Right tackle
3) Linebacker
4) Safety
5) Guard
6) BPA
7) BPA

FA:

1) Wide receiver
2) Cornerback
3) Runningback
4) Linebacker
5) Guard

Next year draft:

1) Cornerback
2) Wide receiver
3) Linebacker
4) Runningback
5) Guard
6) BPA
7) BPA

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
1) Quarterback
2) Wide Receiver
3) Right Tackle
4) Outside Linebacker
5a) Running Back
5b) Cornerback
7) Right Defensive End
8) Free Safety

[color:"red"]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
---Leonardo daVinci
Legend
Legend
Let's see .....

Need number 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1D is a franchise caliber QB. We need a guy who can be our QB for the next 10 years. We need to find our Roethlisberger, Brees, Brady, or Newton. Until we find ours, we can throw pieces into the other positions, but they will just be pieces.

So .....
1) QB
2) WR
3) DE
4) RT
5) OLB
5) ILB
6) S
7) CB

I put WR ahead of DE because Heckert has said that he will not draft a 4-3 DE in the 1st round. He feels that you can find talent and value at the position in the 2nd-4th rounds. He has said the same about the LB position in the 4-3.

If I am drafting, and assuming no changes in Free Agency, then that is the order I look for as far as position goes. Obviously I look at how highly I have players rated, and if I have a RT rated above every WR on the board in the 1st, then RT is my pick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Depends on what we do with our own FA's:

1.) WR
2.) DE
3.) RT
4.) OLB
5.) QB
6.) CB

RB gets bumped up to between 4 and 5 if we do not resign Hillis.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
#1 QB
#2 DE
#3 FS
#4 WLB
#5 RT
#6 WR
#7 RB
#8 CB

QB could go any direction from Flynn or Kolb *likely to be released* in FA to trading up for luck or taking one of the other QBs in RG3, Tannehill, Jones, Manuel, Foles

DE Gotta draft one probably 2nd round again

FS draft one or make one converting a ballhawking corner over to safety

WLB Danny Trevathon in the 4th sounds really good

RT can get one in FA, early in draft or late in draft everyone has their own opinion on which route is best.

WR more likely to go the vet route and mid to late round picks

RB likely to resign Peyton Hillis but I would double down and draft a mid round back like Robert Turbin from Utah st. kid is a jones drew clone

CB I would probably take Claiborne as best player available with our first pick but this corner class is really good. different ways to go

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think foremost that a WR, no just some WR, but the best we can get should be priority one in FA, or at the top of the draft.

If this team does not address the RT position, we are in for more of the same. The passing game will never develop with a turnstile on the right side.

I am hoping Steinbach comes back, and Pinkston moves to the RG.

Hillis is showing that he should be re-signed. He is a good player, and this team has got to stop throwing away good young talent.

Hardesty should be cut ASAP. He is a waste of roster space. I believe Obi, will be fine, plus Jackson should be back.

IMO Our second most pressing need, after WR, is a big bad hammer of a LB. Our LBs are the weakest point of the defense. I'd keep DQ, and use Gocong as a rotational guy, but I would target a good FAST Lb who is good against the run, then I would repeat it again.

We need a safety with cover skills, and another corner. Then we need a tractor to pull Haden's head out of his butt. The guy is getting a big head, and teams are exploiting his lazy presnap attitude.

We need a QB. We have two backups now. I want a guy with some size, and some ability to throw downfield accurately. I love McCoy's attitude and work ethic, but his ability is lacking. I would go with him for another year if I had to, but if a better option is available in FA or the draft, I'd jump on it.

We also must get another big FAST DE opposite Sheard. I think Phil and Rubin can be very solid with one more for rotation, Paxton also.

After this last game, I'm joining the crowd that is demanding a OC. Shurmur need to tend to HC, and let someone else run the offense.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would bring competition in for Hardesty. It is to early to cut him. Need bodies for camp anyway especially at Rb.

Gocong is getting better each week as the strong side backer. Weakside is killing us.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Delete Free Safety and that's my list. Young, Adams and Hagg are all FS types. I don't see the need to upgrade our pass defense while top rushing offenses are giving us the business.

Draft a FS with our second rounder in 2013.

QB is imperative and Luck is my target.
WR should be addressed with the guy who wants to hit the FA jackpot. Throw a ton of money at it.
Give me a RDE that FORCES teams to scheme against him. Doesn't have to be an All-Pro. Actually a Wimbley FA type is just fine or a second round target this year.

Those three things bring us to 8-8 in 2012 immediately and puts us on the path.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Really. All the depth in the world and talent as well go down the drain with crappy predictable stuff we served up this season regularly. An aggressive OC with whatever else your lists settle on. Coaching is crucial; it has hurt us IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I know what I would like to see. And its a chapter out of the Colts and Eagles blueprints, when both franchises were at their peaks.

1. A premier RT no matter the cost or imaginary value BS. Screw the gaurds. Get me a RT to go with Mack and JT and the line is done. plug whatever gaurds you wnt between them.

2. Give me a premier receiver and make Little number 2. WR position is then set with Norwood at slot.

3. Get me another primo corner and DE.

Dont care who is at QB next season, or RB. Fix these 4 positions with our first 3 picks and Free Agency and I will be a happy Browns fan.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
I would trade our first pick to get Bradford if St Louis can get Luck. If they get Bradford or keep Colt I would make sure FA and draft fixed the line and WR's so they have a chance to succeed. If we draft RG3 (I would not give up anything to move up) I would do everything possible to make the defense dominant and let him make plays and basically run for his life.

Legend
Legend
So .... you would do everything to help 2 of the possible QBs ..... but would punish the 3rd?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
1) Most important position on the field is QB, and we haven't had a good one in years.

2) RT. I've seen some talk that Pashos hasn't played "that badly" and that he somehow rates out as decent. Horsefeathers. Nevermind that he's an injury risk who missed several games this year...again. He's old and slow and needs to be replaced ASAP. We can instantly and solidly improve upon our running game and passing game with one acquisition.

3) RDE. We have exactly ONE guy who can rush the passer, and as a collective unit we suck against the run. We can instantly and solidly improve upon our ability to disrupt the pocket while simultaneously clogging the run with one acquisition.

4) Guard. At best a healthy Steiny gives us back an instant legitimate starter, but at worst, he's done and we're right back where we are now. So with a solid guard acquisition, we can, at best, get back to where our line was a couple of years ago. At worst, that would leave us with only one hole left to fill on the line. I'd like our chances in that scenario.

5) WR. I'm convinced that Little is a keeper, and that we can do some things with a real QB, Mass, Moore (he's no TE!) and Norwood. However, a legit guy with either NFL credentials or a rookie with speed is required.

6) CB. The best way to solidly improve our coverage ability is to fix our pass-rush ability, which is why I put RDE ahead of this position. Having said that, Brown is finished as a starter. I can't remember seeing a slower starting CB here in the last decade.

The rest would just be the icing on the cake.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
agreed w/ that assessment. I'd like us to upgrade LB with a young rook if we can too. I go back on forth on RDE or LB and its hard because our LB corps is bad but man our RDE lineup is sooooo terrible I think I rank it higher too

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
JC

All the lists look fine in that we have holes galore.

Start with a QB, then make you best choice at the others.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Offense
In The following order

RT
WR
RB if we don't resign Hillis
QB
Backup LT
WR

Defense
In the following order
DE
OLB
CB
2nd OLB
DE
Safety
2nd CB

I will be thrilled if we can fill six of these needs between the draft and FA this off season.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Cleveland Browns' Colt McCoy might be good QB somewhere, but not in AFC North Division, executive says: Terry Pluto's Talkin'

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2011/12/cleveland_browns_colt_mccoy_mi.html

ABOUT THE BROWNS . . .

I talked to an AFC executive whose team plays the Browns in some seasons.

"What's their problem?" I asked.

He said: "They have put together a decent defense. I really like the kid from Pitt [Jabaal Sheard]. He can be a big-time player. [Phil] Taylor and [Ahtyba] Rubin are good tackles, but they desperately need another defensive end. Get a guy who is pretty good over there, and Sheard can really make an impact. [Joe] Haden, [T.J.] Ward, and [D'Qwell] Jackson are very good. Our coaches really love Jackson."

"So it's not defense?" I asked.

"They can always get better, especially at linebacker," he said. "But what division do the Browns play in?"

"The AFC North," I said.

"Who are the quarterbacks?" he asked.

"Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and . . ."

"And your guy," he said. "Does Colt [McCoy] even come close to comparing with them? Here's the problem -- you play six games against those teams, often in bad weather. I think you need a quarterback who is physically big with a strong arm."

"So you don't like McCoy," I said.

"Not in that division," he said. "I'm not saying it's easy to find one. Think of all the quarterbacks that Baltimore went through before Flacco -- [Kyle] Boller, [Trent] Dilfer, [Tony] Banks, [Steve] McNair, [Elvis] Grbac . . . I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys. Ben put Pittsburgh on the map for the Super Bowl. Dalton can play. Our coaches think Seneca [Wallace] is tougher to defend [than McCoy] because he's more mobile, but he's a backup. For years, the Browns have had a terrible offense and a quarterback problem. They usually go together."

"The Browns do have two first-round picks," I said.

"That can help them get a quarterback," he said. "But you have to be right. If they aren't sure [on a quarterback], then take two players who can really make an impact. Look at what [wide receiver A.J.] Green has done for the Bengals. When you play the Browns, you set your defense to stop [Peyton] Hillis. You can have a safety follow him, because no one in the passing game [quarterback or receivers] worries you."

"So if you were the Browns, you'd be looking for a quarterback," I said.

"In that division, they have no other choice," he said. "But don't force it. That is a team that needs impact players at a lot of positions."

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
1. QB
2. WR
3. RDE
4. WSLB

D
Legend
Legend
D
A defense can get better in a hurry if you can rush the passer. Its amazing how much better your secondary looks when they only have to cover for 3-4 seconds. So, I'm thinking that a RDE should be our first priority on defense.

I was looking at a list of 2012 free agents and one really big name stuck out for me: Mario Williams, Houston. Williams is recuperating from a torn pectoral (surgery), and The Texans are reportedly trying to re-sign him. They are also considering the franchise tag, but they also have another FA named Arian Foster that might need the tag. If Williams were to end up being an untagged UFA, I would throw big money at him and tell him to re-familiarize himself with the 3-point stance because he would move back to DE here (Texans moved him to OLB). He's 26 yrs old, with 53.5 sacks in 5+ years, most of them at DE.

Another possibility at DE is veteran Robert Mathis, Colts. He'll be 32 in February, but he has 83 sacks in his career, 8.5 this year.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2012

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So .... you would do everything to help 2 of the possible QBs ..... but would punish the 3rd?

I looked at his post as a reference to Michael Vick on the Atlanta Falcons (when Jim Moira was Coach).

Vick was a playmaker and had no one on his team, save a decent RB in Warrick Dunn and Alge Crumpler as his TE. These guys were his bailout players. Vick made plays with his feet and was basically a one man offense.

My theory (at the time) was that, with the Falcons, get Vick his bailout players and put a phenomenal defense around him (like they had with Keith Brooking, John Abraham, that big DT Coleman, possibly D'Angelo Hall. He'll make plays and the defense will get turnovers. It seemed to work as he took his team to the NFC championship. Of course, Vick got hurt the next season and the Falcons never were as good as that year........

But that year, his best receivers was like Stephen Jefferson or something like that. Him and Brian Finneran.

----------------------------------------------------
As for needs,
1) RT
2) DE
3) WR
4) WOLB/ILB (Cocong can play SSLB for us and DJack can play WILL or MIKE. If somehow we can find a good MLB, move Jackson to WLB)
5) CB
6) RB
7) RG

If we can get A) Andrew Luck then that's a move that must be made. But, I'd like to keep either, both 2nd round picks in the next two years or one first round pick if possible. B) If Pat Shurmer decides Sam Bradford is that much better a fit than Colt then I'd be willing to trade our number 4 or 5 for Sam. That's up to Shurmur though, as he's the one who knows him best.

Either way, RT must be upgraded. Pashos is not only bad, but he's also unreliable

--?--
Question for people on here though: Alex Mack can't have much more time on his contract here, has his play picked up this year? At the beginning of the season I wasn't as impressed as I was last year. I haven't gotten to watch the Browns as much as I usually like to, and when I have, I haven't keyed in as much on Mack as I would like to

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 12/26/11 10:07 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1 - Qb - WE have not had a top QB since Kosar. We have not consistently won since Kosar. The top teams have top QB's. McCoy can be serviceable but will never be a top QB. Not sure where we find this guy. Guess that is why Heckert gets paid the big bucks.

2 - RT - The line is the foundation of any offense. Protect the QB, makes holes for the RB. I would address with the 2nd,3rd or 4th round pick of this draft.

3 - RDE - You have to pressure the Qb. We have nothing at RDE now. Add a guy who can pressure the Qb from the right side and Sheard becomes that much more dangerous on the left. Subsequently our DBs look better.

4 - FS - A good FS gets turnovers and covers up the mistakes of CBs. The majority of big pass plays that we have given up would not have happened with a top FS manning centerfield for the Browns. Adams is serviceable, nothing more nothing less. Unfortunately I don't see any body in this upcoming draft with even a remote chance of filling this roll.

5 - Lb - I didn't specify inside or outside because I think D'Qwell can more outside if we get a better MLB. D'Qwell is solid in the middle but not the feared MLB I would like to have. I am ok with keeping him in the middle or moving him to OLB if he can be upgraded. Our OLBs leave something to be desired. Gocong is solid vs the run but he cannot cover a RB out of the backfield to save his life. On the other side we cannot cover or tackle.

6 - CB - Haden is above average (Not a shutdown corner - I hate how that term gets thrown around all willy nilly for any decent QB). Sheldon is done, Peterson a little below average, Skrine = potential slot corner. We can manage with what we have especially if we improve our pass rush.

7 - Wr - I really believe that our Wr's would look better with better Qb play. I think Little will significantly improve for next season. He is not a #1 guy but will be a solid to good #2. I think the coaches finally realized what we have with Norwood in the slot. That leaves one Wr spot open. Blackmon is the best Wr in the upcoming draft. Is Blackmon a future #1? I don't know but he will at least be the quality of a very good #2. Paired with Little and Norwood the three become a pretty good corp. I would have no problem taking Blackmon with 1a. I think we would be ok adding a speed guy somewhere later. I would also add a solid veteran presence to this group.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Looking at the roster...and the way the season has played out. We have many holes to plug. What do you think is the priority of the holes to plug?

I think:

WR: First and foremost...we need to find a WR that can replace MoMass as a starter. if we can shift Cribbs to 4th, keep Norwood at 3rd, and Little move to 2...our offense would look much more dangerous.
RG: I hate Lauvao, more than Pashos...but RT is a more important position, and harder to fill.
RDE: Sheard is great on the left side...but Mitchell stinks. Schaefering has been good in spot duty, and is good depth, but isnt a starter. We need a legit guy on that side.
WOLB: Fujita just isnt a 4-3 starter. 3-4 OLB sure...ILB too, but not a 4-3 guy in the Jauron mold. Unless DQ moves there, we have a big weakness there. If he did move thereit would create a need in the middle, but i like DQ where he is. (however as an aside. I spent a lot of time thinking of good 4-3 OLBs, and really couldnt come up with any. every good OLB in the NFL plays in a 3-4...so who would we get for there...id say DQ, and get an Urlacher)

we have a hole so big it can't be plugged. The TERRIBLE HC Hire of Shurmer will continue the exodus of quality talent and us having to overpay for those looking to cash a paycheck. Nice Hire Mike.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
WR. I said months ago not bring additional WR's would hinder the offense.
It did. The numbers don't lie.
teams don't worry about the Browns beating them deep. So they can condense everything. Squat on all the short routes.
the Browns are lacking that guy that can just blow past a CB and draw PI's
hats off to Holmgren for falling in love with a below average WR core this year

RT same ole situation in Cleveland.slow footed RT's that get blown off the ball when they pass and getting stood up when they run.
Tony Pashos take a seat beside Kevin Shaffer.

RDE...the Browns have 30 sacks as a defense. the lowest amount in the AFC North. Jayme Mitchell does what well......suck.thats it. again another position Heckart failed to address last year.

RG..Shaun Lauvao frankly is horrible. He's good for a penality a game.
I have never seen him get to the 2nd level and block anyone.
I could understand the love for him around here. He would be a decent backup at best. when was the last time the Browns had a OG that trucked people?

3rd down RB. Change of pace needed for stale offense. A RB that can get the ball in the flat or in front of a LB and go for big yards.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmm.. John Abraham is a UFA. Wonder if he could do the RDE for Cleveland?

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
our 3rd down rb can be Brandon Jackson next year. Also, if used correctly both Peyton Hillis and OGB can be 3rd down backs...but that concept of a 3rd down back seems to be lost on our offense.

I'd love to have a mauling RG, Tucker did that when he was at that spot but no one since.

as for John Abraham...that'd be nice, on like a 2-3 year deal. He doesnt have many years left.

It has to start somehow
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

as for John Abraham...that'd be nice, on like a 2-3 year deal. He doesnt have many years left.

Yea.. thats kinda the thought I had.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our OL does fine run blocking but the defense doesnt respect our pass so they just overload up front and it doesnt matter if our 5 beats up their 5, they usually have 3 more waiting to make the play.

Mo last week in single coverage, he has 2 steps on his man. The ball isnt just under thrown, its 8 yards behind. Our receivers can beat single coverage, our Qbs just do not make defenses pay. How many times have we seen our receivers stop and come back for the ball or wait on it when they have their man beating by 5 plus yards this year?

Fix the Big problem and a lot of these other problems will not seem so big.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
You made my point better than I could have. The Browns have so many holes that if we can't fix them all that is how I would plan to go forward. Bradford, Colt, and even Luck would need the rest of the offense to be fixed (WR, RT, RB). If the plan is to get RG3 then unfortunently for him I would make him a one man show and make the defense dominant. Of course, I would love it if all the holes were fixed though.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

1. Quarterback
2. Wide Receiver
3. Defensive End
4. Free Safety
5. Right Tackle
6. Cornerback
7. Running Back
8. Linebacker

We're pretty close:

1. QB
2. DE
3. WR
4. FS
5. RT
6. CB
7. LB

I'll probably NEVER put RB as a need on any team, lol....too dependent position and too easy to fill adequately. I have DE over WR as I think it has more positive trickle down effect to other positions

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Offense
In The following order

RT
WR
RB if we don't resign Hillis
QB
Backup LT
WR

Defense
In the following order
DE
OLB
CB
2nd OLB
DE
Safety
2nd CB

I will be thrilled if we can fill six of these needs between the draft and FA this off season.

That's a fairly decent breakdown of what I think we need although I'd put a RG in there.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

I think:

No particular order here
An OC, Shurmur is a bad one, he makes no game day adjustments and the bone headed sloppy play continues. the cherry was either sending a concussed QB back in the game or the dumb ass run call before the half of the ravens game( no way I believe Wallace called that).
We are NOT set in the secondary yet with some precision free agent signings we could be. I want Jim Leonard safety with the jets. a smart heady player would help TJ Ward cut down on his mental farts strengthening both positions. the other safeties we have are all journeyman backups as every TE has a field day and every pass over the middle is easily completed. In no way are we "set in the secondary!!!!!
at CB we are equally suspect. to pair haden with a solid Corner I return to free agency and draft the smart, aggressive Courtland Finnergan. Tough as nails and great in Run support as well

Lber. I would Like Keth Bulloch, a thumper. we need a physical presence at LB as DQ should be outside. WE need still another Lber as gocong,. maiava and titus brown are good backups not starter...yet maiava has improved a lot. he is small but has a real nose for the ball.

DE, I would resign Roth, I know we won't but the hallucination that Mitchell was anything as a pass rusher..in fact a decent site called profootball focus.com says he is one of the worst in the entire NFL. we need an end bad.

Ol, While I have been one of pashos.s worst critics when he has a TE on his right shoulder to chip the pass rusher into him he is effective. the problem is our zombie coaching staff leaves him and his slow feet on an island to get our QBs killed every obvious passing down. That is on our crummy coaching.
Lavao has been bad, he has sloppy penalties as well yet he is a rookie and he may get better. In fact at times he has played decent. The LG is playing out of position. Can pinkston be a RT?. Can Stienbach come back and play LG?
WE need a top RT or if Pinkston can go there we need a RG. Keep Pashos as a backup.

McCoy. I think drafting a QB. I would rather see us trade for Drew Stanton from the lions or Shaun Hill. keep McCoy and play the best man. draft another QB, just not in the first round.

I know there is a clamor for wr. I have two free agents I would snag. Loyd from the rams and Harry Douglas from the Falcons If we don't get a top wr and select a QB.
If Little is the 2, Norwood 3 and Momass 4 with Cribbs thrown in it is effective.
I would use Evan Moore as a slot wr in the joe jeruviscous role.

RB. Keep Hillis and sign him fast. hardesy does not seem the back he was. no zip, no cuts, no power. Obie one is an outside runner and who knows what last years free agent is. But Keep Hillis. If QB is one #1 pick I hope RT is the other.
De/OLb next, Wr. just don't create another hole and dump hillis. There is a back I would trade for and seems all he needs is a good chance. That is the ivory kid from NO. He is quick, cuts well to the hole and runs with purpose: all the things Hardesty did at Tennessee yet seems no longer physically capable.

Last edited by akronjoe; 12/27/11 06:34 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Django and Deep,

I like your lists, but I would change it one way (for this upcoming draft)

QB

or

1. DE
2. WR
3. FS
4. RT
5. CB
6. LB

I see us either addressing the QB position with a big trade up (because that's what it's gonna take), or try to get by with what we got at QB and whatever we can do in FA (a Flynn-type) and address several positions with some trade downs and BPA selections.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
For the ninth or tenth time:

Roth wants nothing to do with us.

Saying 'I'd resign Matt Roth' isn't much different than saying 'I'd sign Drew Brees'

Legend
Legend
It may not be your intent, or your feeling for that matter ........ but I get the feeling that some posters think that we'd be able to sign Matt Flynn to a 1 or 2 year, minimum type deal.

That's not gonna happen. Someone is going to overpay badly for him. He might not get a Matt Cassel type deal ..... but I bet it won't be far off.

If the Browns are the team to sign Matt Flynn, they had better be sure about him, or they run the risk of setting this team back even more. (and from where we're at, that's not easy to do)

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

For the ninth or tenth time:

Roth wants nothing to do with us.

Saying 'I'd resign Matt Roth' isn't much different than saying 'I'd sign Drew Brees' [/quote

I presupposed in my entire thread of what I want NOT what would happen. I want Shurmur out bodily and replaced by a real coach as this team slid back to WORST in the Entire NFL. I agree and think it is funny that Roth coming back is AS likely as signing Drew Brees. It Ain't gonna happen I know! But thanks for correcting your misconception of the map i drew out.I doubt we sign ANY of the free agents I listed.
My Guess randay needs the cap space for his Soccer team.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quarterback

Wide receiver

Right Tackle, Gee I only get to see Pashos play 3 times and my gosh the only time he doesn't get beat is when the ravens players stop their rush and back up to throw their hands up.

Only other time he doesn't get beat, he gets flagged.

2nd Wide Receiver

3rd Wide Receiver

Offensive coordinator, Offensive line coach, Head Coach.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offseason holes to plug

Link Copied to Clipboard