Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Personally, I think he has the intelligence to pick it up, can play under Center, and has the arm to make every throw we need him to make.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

I would love to know what Holmgren, Heckert, Shurmur and the rest of the bigwigs with the Browns think of RG3, behind closed doors, no posturing, no BS'ing. Just an honest assessment of whether or not he can run this system.

Dying to know.

I believe Shurmur when he said talented players fit any system. Whether he thinks RGIII is really that talented, we'll see. But what we know is that RGIII has a strong arm, is extremely fast, smart, and "cares" about football. We also know he has poor mechanics and doesn't play in an NFL style offense.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
so even if we lose we are picking 4th with all of the other teams losing today?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Indianapolis (2-13) lost
2. St. Louis (2-13) lost
3. Minnesota (3-12) lost
? Jacksonville (4-11) won
? Cleveland (4-11) pending
Tampa Bay (4-11) losing 20-0
Washington (5-10) lost
Miami (5-10) won

Legend
Legend
So we're 5th, at best?

Crap!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We're 4th...Jax is 5-11...

Go Browns!!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We are 4th right now ... Jacksonville won (5-11). IF we win not sure where we land.

Legend
Legend
Aha.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Instead of drafting a QB anyone think we might take a shot at Flynn of GB? There is a Holmgren connection there....

Legend
Legend
I hope not. I am completely not sold on Flynn, and I think that he is going to require a huge contract. I don't see a ceiling of greatness. I see his ceiling as decent. Decent doesn't win Super Bowls.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Actually, we're 4th if TB has higher strength of schedule, otherwise 5th.

TB getting waxed right now by Atlanta.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We are 4th right now ... Jacksonville won (5-11). IF we win not sure where we land.

looks like it could go all the way to 7th?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ytown,

I haven't seen much of Flynn, just wondered since he lit it up today and is UFA in 2012.

Agreed, the contract demands will be high,...just wondering out loud.

Legend
Legend
I just worry about a guy who has had so little exposure, and was such a low draft pick to start with. He doesn't appear to have any special abilities that I have seen. We have seen so many backups that look pretty good ..... until they are "the guy" .... and I worry that this is what we would see if we signed him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's a valid concern.

I also worry about us going after RGIII and inheriting the Heisman curse. However, I know little about his career as I just don't have the time to follow the college game as closely as others. Maybe he will be the exception to past history.

Legend
Legend
so we are not @ 5 since we beat Jax?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Draft tie-breaker is strength of schedule, not head to head as it is for division standings.

So yeah we're #4 as long as we lose tonight.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

That's a valid concern.

I also worry about us going after RGIII and inheriting the Heisman curse. However, I know little about his career as I just don't have the time to follow the college game as closely as others. Maybe he will be the exception to past history.

There are differences between RG3 and past winners. The short version is that if you take a look at the previous winners, they were guys who were the highest profile players on the highest profile teams, where they looked better because of the talent around them. Leinart is the posterchild for that. However, RG3 was the entire offense on a team not filled with NFL talent.

Now that doesn't mean he's a lock, because he isn't. As much as I like him, he's small and has the Vick problem where he doesn't know how to avoid taking shots, meaning he won't be playing all 16-games every season. However, I haven't seen a QB who has that natural of a gift in terms of being a passer. That arm is just plus in so many ways.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
RG3 = Troy Smith. Except he doesn't even take snaps from under center.

Smith was mobile but preferred to stay in the pocket. He had a strong arm. He was accurate. He was dominant in college. He won the Heisman.

We all know how well that translated to the NFL.

No thanks.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 01/01/12 07:07 PM.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Totally agree about the Heisman jinx and RG3, I mean think about where Baylor football was before he came in.

It's obvious that his stats are padded because his team's defense is horrible, but just watching the guy play, he's incredibly smart, throws bullets, and is a great leader.

I don't know about him at the next level, I'm no scout, but I really think he's ahead of where other mobile QB's were when they came out, like Vick and Young, etc...

I say take a shot on him, if he's sittin there. I probably wouldn't mortage a bunch of picks to move up a spot or two to get him, but if he's there, I think that could be a guy to change the culture.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I love that he is the guy who was the major reason that Baylor became a good team.

He's smart, has a plus arm, excellent accuracy, and can make all of the throws. He also has good mobility.

There's a lot to like there.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I think it's kinda weird a guy like that would throw bullets like he does, but man he can throw.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Smith was mobile but preferred to stay in the pocket. He had a strong arm. He was accurate. He was dominant in college. He won the Heisman.

No thanks.

Troy Smith was not DOMINANT in college.. he was good yes.. but he was not DOMINANT..

If he was DOMINANT.. he would have gotten drafted a lot higher than he did.

Don't even put those two names together..

Legend
Legend
Yeah, and that's what I think is his key to the NFL. He has an arm, is accurate, and can make all of the throws .... plus he is smart as can be.

He really does have everything except a couple of inches in height, and experience in a pro style offense. I don't think that either is a fatal flaw.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I think his throwing is well ahead of where Cam Newton was coming out of Auburn as well. Although RG3 doesn't have that Lebron'esque frame that Cam has.

I think there are some similarities to RG3 and Troy Smith but RG3 is better in every aspect of being a QB, and he's a better athlete.

Legend
Legend
I agree.

I don't think that there is any comparison though as far as passing ability. I think that RG3 is way ahead of anything that Smith did as far as accuracy to all levels.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

No thanks.

Troy Smith was not DOMINANT in college.. he was good yes.. but he was not DOMINANT..

If he was DOMINANT.. he would have gotten drafted a lot higher than he did.

Don't even put those two names together..

Sure he was. His senior year stats :

203 for 311 , 65.3% , 2542 yards, 8.2 yds/attempt, 30 TD, 6 INT, QB rating of 161.9. He also ran for a score.

He took his team to the national championship game and was ranked #1 most of the year.

He won the Heisman with 86.7% of the votes (the most ever in history) and won the Johnny Unitas award (top senior QB) as well as the Davey O'Brien award (best college QB).

If that's not dominant, then nothing is.

The reason he dropped to the 5th round was people questioned whether his skill set would transition well to the NFL game and he was too short.

I have those same doubts about RG3 except they are even worse because he would have to learn the how to take a snap from under center, the footwork associated with his drops along with learning to read a defense. I'm sorry I don't want my shiny new "savior" QB trying to learn from square one.

Everyone seems to gloss over those deficiencies due to the recent NFL successes of Cam Newton and Tim Tebow.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
You may want to retract Tim Tebow from that statement. Yikes.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I would argue the difference is that Smith was surrounded by elite talent. RG3 is not. Smith was recognized as being an inferior talent through the combines and workouts, falling to the 6th round. RG3 has talents that Smith never had.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
so we have the 4th pick?

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Draft order, top 10, since Seattle is still playing at this time, but they would be 11 or later, not top 10.
1 - Indy
2 - Stl
3 - Min
4 - CLEVELAND
5 - TB
6 - Washington
7 - Jax
8 - Miami
9 - Carolina
10 - Buffalo

These are locked in, all teams with 6 wins or less, seattle has 7 already so no bearing on top 10.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

so we have the 4th pick?

yup. I believe so

Indy 2 wins
Rams 2 wins
Minny 3 wins
Browns 4 wins
Tampa 4 wins (stronger SOS)

Legend
Legend
4th pick..

S
Legend
Legend
S
1. Indy - Luck for sure
2. Rams - Kalil?
3. Minny - could go many ways
4. Browns - could also go many ways

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
1. Indy - Luck for sure
2. Rams - Kalil/Blackman
3. Minny - Trade to a team that wants RGIII to get ahead of Browns
4. Browns - ....Claiborne/Richardson/Blackman

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Atlanta has the #24 pick, so unless they win the Super Bowl, or go to it and lose, that will be our pick.

So basically...

#24 - Don't make SB
#31 - Lose the SB
#32 - Win the SB

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
S
Legend
Legend
S
ATL will probably get knocked out in their first game, they are horrible away from the Georgia dome.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

1. Indy - Luck for sure

Number 1 pick will definitely be Luck, but we'll see if Indy is the team that takes him.

I still have hope that we can trade up and get him. Short-term, probably not the best call. But long-term, I think it could pay off huge dividends

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are a few of us that believe in Tannehill and I know many others would trade the farm for Luck and quite a few that would go hard for RG3. After today, I dont think any of us will get the QB we wanted. The odds on favorite right now has to be Matt Flynn. He looked better than Aaron Rogers out there and he will cost a lot of dollars but no draft pick.

Has any backup ever signed a big deal and it actually worked out for the team signing him?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Has any backup ever signed a big deal and it actually worked out for the team signing him?

Matt Schuab QB Texans

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft Continued Again

Link Copied to Clipboard