Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Is it just me or does it seem that the media is forcing the front office into doing things? They made a big deal about Holmgren not talking to the media, next day he is doing a presser. They makea big deal about the hit on McCoy front office goes into cover up mode. They hound Shurmer about being able to talk to McCoy the very next day he is infront of a camera.

Does the media have too much push in Berea?

#brownsgoodkarma
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Is it just me or does it seem that the media is forcing the front office into doing things? They made a big deal about Holmgren not talking to the media, next day he is doing a presser. They makea big deal about the hit on McCoy front office goes into cover up mode. They hound Shurmer about being able to talk to McCoy the very next day he is infront of a camera.

Short answer=yes The long answer is our Media here is Awful. They feed off the Fans that Clamor for change every second. The wine and Cheese fans we have now..The Veruca Salts so to speak. I want a Pony Daddy and I want it Now!

Last edited by LOYALDAWG; 12/29/11 09:09 PM.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
While it does appear that way, I don't see Holmgren as the type to give in to media pressure to do anything. Just my humble opinion.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

I don't think it's too terribly big.

If they had a big push Holmgren would've been a coach by now, fired the next day, and then Bernie Kosar would become interim head coach followed by Bill Cowher finally moving into his house in Strongsville.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The media didn't hire Pat Shurmur. The media didn't make Colt the starter without a plan B. The media didn't remain stagnant in free agency.

The media does not control this team. Media is like this in EVERY city with a team that stinks.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Fair enough, but what I am saying is when they want something they end up getting it. Shurmer basically said Colt would be allowed to talk to the media when he was cleared to practice, then the very next day Colt being uncleared to practice is infront of the camera.

Holmgren declined to come down from his throne until he was called out by an article then the very next day poof he is in front of the camera.

it has been going on since '99', the media stirs up crap, and then the front office seems to go into panic mode and gives them what they want. Kelly Holcomb vs Tim Couch, Frye vs DA, DA vs Quinn, and now they are attempting to stir up a McCoy vs Wallace. Hardesty vs Hillis, Hillis vs the Browns and so on....I for one am getting sick of this. I mean look at the answers he is being asked every single day, our last game of the season against Pitt and he is being hounded about Hillis, Cribbs, and McCoy instead of talking about how his team is getting ready to finish out the year. And its like ask a question, not get the answer you are looking for. So they reword it and ask it again. I just dont get it

#brownsgoodkarma
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I can kinda see what you are saying. It has happened over the years all the way back to Bill B and the Browns leaving.

The thing I guess you have to remember is they are paid to talk. They need something to talk about so they either try to pound a subject to death and then pound the non-answer or the refute to death until they get another answer.

Seeing as they are not paid by the teams and are paid to talk who are they talking too? Us the fans and if all was well in sunshine land for us they still wouldnt talk about how great things were they would try to find something to stir us up and get us talking to them about something because its what they are paid for.

When they (the media) get the fans all in an uproar then sometimes I do imagine they (the FO) will finally address it just to try to clear the air so to speak but by doing so it looks like, as you said the media is controlling things.
Of course then they will talk about that and continue until they can find something else to pound on gaining as many talking points as possible thoughout any given season.

I'm guessing you were talking about the Wallace thing today? It was a classic example they ask questions that no one cares about because they need something to talk about and they are looking to stir the pot.
The players give the interviews to connect to the fans but if the interviewers asks bad/dumb questions how does that help us connect to them?

What that leaves is a disconnect between the fan and the players which is not really a healthy thing for the tean and they then need to respond and start the cycle all over again. Then again I could be totally off just my take on it.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think you are reading too much in to it.

As far as the Colt deal, that had national attention so it had to be addressed.

Had we not said anything it would look like we were ready to bunker up.

Any 1st year PR/Marketing student will tell you if you seek less media attention, don't ignore the media and the questions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tubby...good thread...

There is definitely a power struggle of sorts between the Browns and local sports talkie heads.

This struggle goes back to the reinvention of the Browns in 1999 as the media stoked several fires when the Browns didn't have instant success.

It is a fact, that the media is not running the team or coaching the team, but I have seen how the local press reacts when the Browns do not operate according the opinion of the "experts" in our local media.

Lerner Sr and Policy wanted this great relationship with the local media and may have been the worst front office when it came to having "rabbit ears" and reacting to the media opinions.

Chris Palmer, Tim Couch are but two examples where the Browns front office may have caved to media opinion rather than holding the line and making sound football decisions.

In Butch Davis' first couple of years, when the Browns won 7 games in 2001, Davis' first season, then making the playoffs (9-7) in 2002, Butch had the media eating out of his hand...

...then came the "gut feeling" and Butch's rabbit ears were burning more and more as the Browns crashed, winning just 5 games in 2003. By 2004, Butch was really feeling the heat from the media and totally panicked, imo, signing Jeff Garcia as the starting QB...10 games into the 04 season, Butch was burned out as the Browns had won only 3 games when Butch quit.

How much did the media pressure contribute towards Butch's burnout?...who knows, but the media turned on Butch and began questioning every move Butch made. Maybe it was justifiable, but the Cleveland media can write some tough stuff that is bound to have some affect on the coaches and front office, if they allow it to.

In Butch's case, even his family was being affected by the negative press coming from the local media.

Crennel and Savage had a relationship with the media very similar to Butch Davis' experience...good at first, reaching a high point in 2007 when the Browns won 10 games. When the Browns came crashing back to earth in 2008, winning just 4 games, the media turned on Crennel and Savage.

Was Randy Lerner guilty of succumbing to the media pressure?...yea, he probably was but in his defense, Crennel and Savage did not have the franchise headed in the right direction, for the long term and some of the media criticism was deserved.

How much the media had to do with Lerner's hiring of Mangini...I don't know...but Mangini came into Cleveland fully understanding how much pressure the local media can produce and from the start, Mangini kept the media at arms length.

The Browns only won 5 games in Mangini's first year and again, the media pressure was mounting on Lerner...that is when Lerner handed the ball off to Holmgren, who has for the most part, done a good job of handling the media.

The Cleveland media are up to their old tricks though, as they are not happy with Browns record in year two of the rebuilding process. It is safe to say that the honeymoon is over between Holmgren and the local sports media as they again, are questioning nearly every move Holmgren is making.

I believe the Browns are reacting to the media pressure by giving only the minimum access to the media and giving very vanilla answers to most of their questions, when Shurmur and Holmgren go before the media.

It seems the friction is growing and the struggle between the local media and the Browns front office is heating up, once again. But this time around, the local media is facing Holmgren, not Lerner. I doubt that Holmgren is going to be influenced by the opinions and negative attacks from the local media.

The media is free to criticize anything they want to write about or talk about...BUT, the local sports media should try to maintain a level of respect in the way they write and talk about the players, coaches and front office.

When the media is disrespectful, they should not expect the Browns front office to do them any favors. There has been an explosion of sports media in Cleveland due to the internet and sports talk radio, and every writer and talking head has an opinion. The word "respect" is not in their vocabulary as most seem to operate with a chip on their shoulder and an attitude that they can say anything they want.

With the sports media in Cleveland...everyone is a football expert and given a platform, they will tell Browns fans exactly what the Browns need to do to be successful.

The Cleveland fans, for the most part, are "good followers", willing to spew what they hear or read without questioning any of what is claimed.

My advice to the Browns front office, coaches and players...respectfully, "ignore" the Cleveland sports media, understanding 99% of them have not a clue what they are talking about.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You guys need to get out more.
The media here is nothing compared to that in the big cities.Besides,after this long line of crappy coaches,players and FO types,maybe the experts in the media,or any where for that matter,could have done a better job.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

The media here is nothing compared to that in the big cities.Besides,after this long line of crappy coaches,players and FO types,maybe the experts in the media,or any where for that matter,could have done a better job.

brownie...do you listen to the FAN 92.3 fm or WKNR am radio/internet?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I do...All the time...And I can tell u this...

NOONE in the Cleveland Media...Or ANY media for that matter...Has a single view that persuades this FO from doing ANYTHING...

Go Browns!!!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Nobody want to read about losing. They want winning or drama...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This .... And Holmgren is very thinned skin which can add to the drama .. Makes good Press !

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Been saying this for years. Read a couple of NYC papers and listen to their sports radio for a day and then tell me the Cleveland guys are anything but mild in comparison.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Just a general comment:

If you don't want to deal with the media and a ton of second guessing, then the NFL is not the sport for you. Win and there is less ...... but it still won't stop entirely. Big deal. This is a big boy league, and if someone can't handle the media "being mean to them", how are they going to handle telling 350#+ DL and OL what to do? How will they handle prima donna QBs and WRs?

"Oh boo hoo, the media was mean to me and doesn't like what I am doing with the team" I bet that most of the coaches/front office don't give a damn beyond any impact it might have on ticket sales.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Absolutely agree ... but I also do feel a bit bad. Even when we (or others) win the media is trying to drive up a story.

I just can't imagine how hard it would be to try and do your job when passionate ... yet nonethless bothersome individuals continue to question your every move...

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Win and most of it stops.

Look at the Browns last year when they reeled off wins against New Orleans and New England. The media went nuts for them. ESPN was all over them. They were the David knocking off Goliaths.

Then the end of the year came, and we didn't finish up as well as we had all hoped we would ..... and the worm turned. (as they say ... but why I'm not sure)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Y-town,worms turn to take a crap,which makes it very fitting for how last season ended up.
To whom ever,no I don't listen to talk radio,I get my quota of BS on here.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Unless they are desperate for a story ... like when the Saints and Colts were going for 16-0 a few years back and half the media said go for it and half said rest the starters ... or how Peyton guided the Colts to 10 years of dominance, then he is hurt and they can't get enough Colts bashing. Or how the story of the past few days has been whether or not the Pats can even win a game because Tom Brady had a precautionary MRI ...

Obviously the winning cures a lot ... but unfortunately with the 24 need of filling the news these days, it's like "Congrats on the W .... now what ELSE can you tell me to captivate viewers before I keep digging around and trying to create a story ...."

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The media is driving fans more than it will ever drive Mike Holmgren. Unfortunately, many of the fans are too dumb to even realize they're being driven by the media.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
True dat.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Where you been., it's been like this for years.. this isn't anything new.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I have been right here...just getting tired of all the BS they keep stirring up. Instead of taking good advantage of their time with the playes, and coaches to ask good questions. they hound them with the dumbest things. I get sick of going to Cleveland.com and trying to read some stories about how the team is doing, and getting ready for their next opponent. Its all drama, drama, drama.....I just want some football related stories. How many different times are they going to ask about Hillis? Both the Shurmer, Heckert, and Holmgren have said they would address that, and other contracts AFTER the season...yet every presser it comes up at least once.

#brownsgoodkarma
B
Legend
Legend
B
I disagree Tubby....the media is there to ask questions, both fluff and pointed.

They ask plenty of fluff questions and write plenty of fluff articles.

At times you have to ask the same questions some of us would ask.

You don't want to put people's nose to the grindstone, but sometimes it has to be done.

I don't have a problem with the local media. It's about time some serious questions were asked.

Homie can get all huffy and talk about being on board and not asking for extra playoff tickets all he wants, but it might be good to have a idea when the playoff tickets might arrive.

They seem a long way off at this point.

As YTBF said, just win a few friggen games and give us some hope and all of this vanishes.

Heck, just win a few home games for crying out loud and it goes away.

That's were it starts. Win 5-6 home games.

If you can't win at home, you aren't going to win.

Bank it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
As much as I can't stand the media, I'm right with you, 'Peen.

Winning solves everything.

And, even if we go 15-1, after that 1 loss, the press (and let's face it, most of the fans) would be totally up in arms, fire this guy, fire that guy, etc. It's just the way it is.

Doesn't mean it isn't frustrating, though.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
It is as big as we pretend it is. We are not decision makers; they are not either. I think they want to try to create a firestorm, but most fans are angry and frustrated enough. Some shouldn't be as vocal as often as they are. But it really is "the enemy met is us" the team IMO. Sportswriters talking up wins don' t cross the street to suggest controversies. Winning instead please.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

The media didn't hire Pat Shurmur. The media didn't make Colt the starter without a plan B. The media didn't remain stagnant in free agency.

The media does not control this team. Media is like this in EVERY city with a team that stinks.

Amen

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I do...All the time...And I can tell u this...

NOONE in the Cleveland Media...Or ANY media for that matter...Has a single view that persuades this FO from doing ANYTHING...

DnD...and that is exactly the way it should be...and for very good reason...the talking heads in Cleveland have not a clue what the process of building a franchise looks like.

The Cleveland media is just like the new era Browns fans, probably because many of the talking head are of the new era...they want success yesterday and they won't be patient for anything...and they claim to know more than any of the Browns coaches or front office personnel.

BTW, I was asking BCBrownie...hey BCBrownie... do you listen to the FAN 92.3 fm or WKNR am radio/internet?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Short answer=yes The long answer is our Media here is Awful. They feed off the Fans that Clamor for change every second. The wine and Cheese fans we have now..The Veruca Salts so to speak. I want a Pony Daddy and I want it Now!

Loyal...the other day you posted this in another thread...

"This city ruins QB's, we don't know how to handle them and we never give them the best opportunity to be successful."

I took the time to write a response but didn't post it... guess I will go ahead and post it now...

loyal...on this note...the city of Cleveland and specificly, some of the local sports media (tv, radio, print)...they do more harm to the Browns franchise than good.

Why?...because Cleveland sports fans/Browns fans listen to their crap and without even considering what is being said, or especially WHO IS SAYING IT, the listeners, jump on the bus.

These WKNR sports radio commentators (aka, dudes, talking heads) "sure made me laugh", because no way could I take them seriously...but I wonder how many of "you" do?

...below is my recount of one radio segment by these two WKNR talkingheads...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A COUPLE DAYS AGO, I turn on WKNR and these "two dudes", the radio hosts, are discussing how they believe the Cavs losing is ok and should be viewed differently than the Browns losing. The radio dudes claim the Cavs have a sense of direction and their franchise "gets it" and the Browns have no direction and Lerner, Holmgren and Shurmur "don't get it".

The KNR dudes go on the say that it's not important that the Cavs win this season, because they (the radio dudes) can tell the Cavs owner and players "want to win" and they felt the same could not be said for the Browns. The two radio dudes go on to say it was a "good thing" that the Cavs lost their first game.

...OK, I say to myself...thinking isn't it a bit soon for anyone to come to such a conclusion about the Cavs?

These two radio talking heads are able to see the picture so clearly and the Cavs are just one game into the season! The two dudes go on to say that the Browns must held to a different standard than the Cavs, because the Cavs are just beginning to build their team.

I say to myself...but the Browns are just beginning to build their team too...and I wonder to myself if these two dudes have a clue?

#1 dude says, the Browns have no internal fortitude because Phil Taylor jumped off sides...WHAT? I say..unreal comment, but the #1 dude did say that.

the dudes talk about how bad it is for some Browns fans wanting the team to lose the last game to help the Browns draft position and how demoralizing that is. One of the KNR dudes blames the Browns franchise for putting their fan base in the position of hoping the team loses the last game to insure a high draft spot...

...but in contrast, the two radio dudes have already excused the Cavs losing this season and they went on to say the Cavs need as many ping pong balls in the draft hopper as they can get.

...I'm wondering...do these KNR dudes hear themselves?...do they have a clue?

I conclude these two KNR dudes are so full of crap, they don't even know what they are saying. They are more interested in being "shockjocks" than responsible sports reporters.

How could anyone possibly agree with what these radio guys are saying?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I replied earlier that I don't.
The only talk radio I listen to is Stern,and that's only because my kid tunes him in.
I will ocassionally watch the Brown's shows on STO.I can't think of the guy's name that has that goofy first time caller routine,I kinda like him.
I like watching Dieken and Grossi,I know someday Dieken is going to kill him,and I would love to see that.
Mary Kaye was much more pleasing to the eyes last year.I guess I don't really listen to her much.
The other woman on there that gives the money away,I had the opportunity to flirt with her this past season.She's much better looking in person,tight spandex britches wow.
I'm sorry,what where you asking about again?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I disagree Tubby....the media is there to ask questions, both fluff and pointed.

Agreed, but that's not all they do around here..

In order to get the powers in Berea to talk, they make stories up that the FO then has to go out and respond too....

Take this recent hubbub over the Concussion to McCoy.

They just took little tidbits of info and twist and turn it into things that weren't accurate..

No sir,, if all they did was ask questions (fluff or otherwise) then reported the answers, that's one thing. to make stuff up.. That's not reporting.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What,exactly,did they make up?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
..I hear you Mac! Which is why I don't listen to that Garbage station anymore. Right now they will say anything to get listeners so You have to remember that and the same goes for 92.3 The Fan. WKNR has lost their Base, they have Goofballs like Reghi and Rhoda on there..and then they added defunct Media Guys like Rizzo. The only one I ever liked on there was Jerod Cherry. He actually talked with reason and Common sense most of the time. Bentley is bitter and hates the Browns Organization. I called Reghi one time about the Cavs because he said a Moronic statement that it wasn't important for us to win at Home during the Playoffs or something along those lines..He hung up on me..lol That is the problem, they only allow their agenda to be heard and funnel everything down the line.

People need to wake up and realize the circus carousel we have been on is not solely because we lack a QB or any one thing. We've been down the road back and forth a 100 times and we are still a 4-12 team. That is with 9 or 10 different starting QB's how many offensive Coordinators, Head Coaches, Gm's and Presidents. We've tried first round picks, former first round picks, proven vets, and it just doesn't matter. The only thing we haven't tried is sticking with someone for enough time to have some continuity and build around them. We are in the toughest Division in Football bar none. We are Young playing Veteran Savy teams and Coordinators familiar with everything. You look at all these QB's that have done good it is because they have gone to established systems with decent personell around them. Rogers sat for How many years..then he stepped into a system that has been in place and voila. The reason guys like Bradford and McCoy and Gabbert and Ponder struggle is because they are all young, all on teams where nothing is established. So Now not only do you have just the QB that is adjusting but all the players are new to the system too. Not to Mention that some of these teams have glaring weaknesses such as ours at WR or OL that hamstrings you. Seriously Coming into the year we had Robiskie and MoMass starting. Hillis was hurt, Yates Retired, Momass was out, Brandon Jackson, Hardesty, Hillis all hurt, No Offseason, Two rookies starting on the OL next to a Oft injured Pashos who when Healthy is Mediocre, a whole new Coaching staff, a whole new system, and more. My advice would be just build the team you want and surround the QB no matter who it is with Consistency and Talent. Establish the sytem and see how it progresses. It is not an overnight success especially in this division. Please People stop with the constant I know what's best for the team when you really don't. No one does until it is established.

The Constant QB and Coaching Carousel has to stop for more than 2 year stints. In year three when you have all this together, then you can trade the whole draft for your guy or lure a Top flight Free agent QB. No One will come here like this, why would they. Why do you think Barkley returned? McCoy actually wants to be here and in spite of the way he has been set up has been doing an admirable job. He wants to be here for the resurrection and I doubt there is a QB that will work harder at making it real. I expect Progress in year 2 and in year three I expect to see a well oiled Machine. If that doesn't happen trade the world away for all I care.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What, do you really expect me to list everything.. Pay attention in the future,, they will certainly do it many more times...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

these two KNR dudes ... are more interested in being "shockjocks" than responsible sports reporters.

They're talk show hosts, not sports reporters...

Also, rebuilding a basketball team and rebuilding a football team are two very different beasts. That said, I'm not one who subscribes to a "lose out now for higher draft picks later" mentality in either sport, but in the NBA a team can get mired in mediocrity for years and years by being just good enough to make it to the playoffs.

It's not like the NFL where a wild card seed can come in and run the table (see the Packers, Colts and second Steelers Super Bowl wins this decade). The draft lottery for non-playoff teams combined with over 50% of NBA teams making the post season (which means some not very good teams make the playoffs and, as a result, don't qualify for the lottery) makes things more difficult to turnaround in the NBA. It seems counterintuitive, given the fact that the NBA is a superstar driven league more than any other and considering how much of an effect one player can have on a team, but its true. An NFL team can turn around their fortunes in a season or two. Turnarounds in the NBA can take three, four, five years. A team needs to gut its roster, have a horrible season and hope that there is a superstar they can draft, and then repeat. Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose are two of the best young players in the NBA, back to back rookies of the year. Durant is in his fifth year and Rose in his fourth, and only last season did their teams start to be truly successful.

The Cavs stunk last year. They'll probably stink this year. Next year they *might* sniff .500. After that, they can start to think about a top-4 playoff seed. In the NFL, wise drafting and shrewd free agency moves can turn a 4 or 5-win team into a playoff-caliber team in just a year or two, and in the NFL much moreso than in the NBA, once you get to the postseason "anything is possibleeeeee".

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I expected an answer along the lines of "look it up yourself".
Never would I have imagined "too numerous to mention" or "wake and pay attention"
Although I do like that last one,Lord knows I've heard it enough.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

This is true. When I lived in the DFW Metroplex, I hadn't heard such a vicious media lambasting everything that the Jerry Jones and the Cowboys did. I can't remember the names of the guys on the air back then (or whether they're still there) but 1310 'The Ticket' were absolutely incredible about lambasting the Cowboys and relished their ability to bash Jerry Jones on every move.

I had little else to do as I drove to work and back again.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

The only thing we haven't tried is sticking with someone for enough time to have some continuity and build around them.

I'm with ya on your first part. I find it wildly entertaining to listen to the Browns talk when I'm going back and forth from Cleveland to Wooster. Rizzo is IMHO a jackass.

However, I'd argue that we have, in fact, had continuity at various times in the last decade. Butch Davis, Phil Savage, and Romeo Crennel all had plenty of time. They simply couldn't execute.

Continuity for the sake of continuity looks a little too much like insanity to me. I look at how long Lions fans suffered through Matt Millen's 7-year reign of terror. They FINALLY kick his sorry butt to the curb, and three years later they are in the playoffs.

We just haven't put the right people in place, and that buck ultimately stops with Lerner. I applaud his efforts as he's paying out millions to guys who no longer work here, all born from a desire to win. I just wish he could get it right.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

What, do you really expect me to list everything.. Pay attention in the future,, they will certainly do it many more times...

I like to think I pay attention and don't know of anything the media has made up.

They follow leads, and sometimes those leads are a dead end, but I don't think a few of them sit around in a back alley somewhere, conjuring up stories.

Sports reporting has changed over the years.

Mickey Mantle was made out by the media to be a swell guy and the reporting didn't dig in to exactly how big of a schmuck the guy really was.

In a ideal world reporters would report the news. The team did this and the team did that. So and so did such and such.

But, it isn't like that any more. They have to sell papers, or commercial spots, or whatever they are trying to sell.

Reporting has become more than simply reporting the news. It is as if every reporter at the paper or announcer at the radio station is a commentator, a position once held only by the editors or station managers, or some designate...you remember old Dorothy Fudlheim(sp) and her commentary.

It's changed, just as the banker isn't the nice guy you once met at the church lunch on Sundays or Kiwanis meeting, and the pharmacist down at the local drug store isn't the guy who gave your Mamma a little something from behind the counter because he heard she had a sick child at home.

Things change.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Media vs The Front Office

Link Copied to Clipboard