Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
Pretty similar numbers this year and I don't know enough about Buffalo defense to know if Dareus has help around him or how is role is defined

Dareus = 42 tackles / 5.5 sacks / 2 PD / 0 FF
Smith = 57 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 PD / 1 FF

May go back to the theory of not drafting DT's in top 10

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doesn't the Bills play 3-4 defense.

Stats with DT's often seem silly to me.

You really gotta see if they're drawing double teams and the scheme they're playing in.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
1st String
1st String
who is Smith?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Pretty similar numbers this year and I don't know enough about Buffalo defense to know if Dareus has help around him or how is role is defined

Smith = 57 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 PD / 1
FF

Dareus was already gone by the time we would have picked, so it's a moot point, but Taylor and Little is better then just Julio Jones at 6 imo. It's not like we where Atlanta with few needs, but Jones would have been welcome.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Taylor and Little is better then just Julio Jones at 6 imo.

Don't leave out the additional 1st & 4th round picks from that equation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
first, others have mentioned the obvious (dareus was gone anyway, we got more than 1 DT with our pick, 3-4 vs. 4-3 etc.)

but, i'll really be excited to see what a full offseason conditioning program does for Phil Taylor as he seemed to fade down the stretch (he did play a heck of alot of snaps)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Taylor and Little is better then just Julio Jones at 6 imo.

Don't leave out the additional 1st & 4th round picks from that equation.

Yes I should have mentioned that, but I don't think there is that much separating Taylor and Dareus either respectively. Dareus is probably more versatile in that he can also play the 5 technique as he does in Buffalo, but for our 43, I think that Taylor is a good fit.

His sack number probably won't match Dareus's in that he will see more double teams (and he came out a lot on passing situations), but I like his tackle numbers and we should see a jump in production following an offseason with the team.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 01/02/12 01:18 AM.

[Linked Image]

I
1st String
1st String
I
I really like both of our young DT's. I can honestly say our D has a couple holes to fill, but our Offense is just a hole with a couple of spots filled.

Ruining QB's since 1999.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Smith = 57 tackles / 4 sacks / 1 PD / 1 FF

Taylor is invisible in many games and gets shoved around. he is a rookie so i hope it gets better while Shear is the obvious thoroughbred we drafted. he is already a stud and only getting better with a HUGE motor.

W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I'm not down on Smith as he started from Game 1, played ALOT of snaps and had some big games and some down games. He also was extremely stout in goaline, short yardage situations so overall I'd give him a B or B-

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not down on Smith as he started from Game 1, played ALOT of snaps and had some big games and some down games. He also was extremely stout in goaline, short yardage situations so overall I'd give him a B or B-

Robaire or Shaun the nutgrabber?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Robaire or Shaun the nutgrabber?

LOL, I think that he meant to type Taylor

Shaun smith the junk man

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

the expectation level of some round here is through the roof on our rookies...it's a good sign though...as it means that Heckert has done a good job drafting

a low 1st round DT takes time...Taylor was incredibly RAW comin out with ELITE upside....you know how many sacks he had in his last 2 years at Baylor COMBINED? 2.5....he got 4 his rookie season in the NFL....remember Rubin his rookie season? Neither do I, because he barely sniffed the field

You think Haden, Ward, Sheard and Taylor are the norm? Playing AVG or even better from day 1? You're wrong...that was pretty good drafting AND coaching developing them (a point that gets totally lost in the Shurmur bashing)

you know what Mangini turned similar value picks into? Mack, Massa, Veikune and Robo...you see the difference? Not only MUCH better players...also on higher value positions

We should do a prayer every day for having Heckert running the drafts now

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Stats with DT's often seem silly to me.

You really gotta see if they're drawing double teams and the scheme they're playing in.

I agree. A lot goes in to the mix that doesn't simply show up on the stat line.

I am not saying that to diminish Taylor, I think he was a good selection and will be a solid tackle for the next 12 years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

the expectation level of some round here is through the roof on our rookies...it's a good sign though...as it means that Heckert has done a good job drafting

a low 1st round DT takes time...Taylor was incredibly RAW comin out with ELITE upside....you know how many sacks he had in his last 2 years at Baylor COMBINED? 2.5....he got 4 his rookie season in the NFL....remember Rubin his rookie season? Neither do I, because he barely sniffed the field

You think Haden, Ward, Sheard and Taylor are the norm? Playing AVG or even better from day 1? You're wrong...that was pretty good drafting AND coaching developing them (a point that gets totally lost in the Shurmur bashing)

you know what Mangini turned similar value picks into? Mack, Massa, Veikune and Robo...you see the difference? Not only MUCH better players...also on higher value positions

We should do a prayer every day for having Heckert running the drafts now

Be still my heart,, we agree

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
and subtract the third round pick

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Phil Taylor >= Marcel Dareus??

Link Copied to Clipboard