Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#648323 01/03/12 05:42 PM
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Lets discuss the kid here...

Widely considered the best WR coming out this year...

at 6'1 many of us dont like his size...
but at his ability many like him to be a great wideout.

I lean with the 2nd group.

We have a pretty solid WR in Greg Little with size and YAC ability if he can learn to catch with his hands on slant routes instead of his body...and Blackmon seems to be a hands catcher through and through.

Is he worth our pick at #4 if he's there? Will he be there? Discuss...i say we pray for him to fall and then take him and give Colt another weapon.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
KingSteve #648324 01/03/12 05:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Lets discuss the kid here...

Widely considered the best WR coming out this year...

at 6'1 many of us dont like his size...
but at his ability many like him to be a great wideout.

I lean with the 2nd group.

We have a pretty solid WR in Greg Little with size and YAC ability if he can learn to catch with his hands on slant routes instead of his body...and Blackmon seems to be a hands catcher through and through.

Is he worth our pick at #4 if he's there? Will he be there? Discuss...i say we pray for him to fall and then take him and give Colt another weapon.

he sure was exciting to watch the other night,, that's for sure. But I thought that one of the problems with him was attitude and hands.. have I got that wrong?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
KingSteve #648325 01/03/12 05:48 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
my plan for fixing the Browns offense definitely includes Blackmon

1. Hire Clements (GB-QB coach) as OC
2. Sign Flynn
3. Draft Blackmon and L.Miller and (Z.Sanders or Adcock)
4. Find a slot WR and RG in FA or draft.
5. Score a lot of points in 2012.

#gmstrong
KingSteve #648326 01/03/12 05:48 PM
Legend
Legend
To me, the ONLY question is "Will he be there?".

If that is a 'yes', then then the ONLY sensible option is to take him. If not, trade down. Period.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my stance on that based upon what we manage to pull off in free agency.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

KingSteve #648327 01/03/12 05:51 PM
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I guess this goes for a lot of players, but I think how he does at the combines will determine where he gets drafted. Doubts about his size could be dispelled and help cement him as a viable top 5 selection.

I was just so impressed with how physical he was in his Bowl game. He looked like a man among boys yesterday. And he was far from 100% healthwise.

Two back:back years as the top collegiate WR votings is pretty special.

Browns fan in Canada.
Damanshot #648328 01/03/12 05:51 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
hands? have not seen that in games nor in print. if someone wrote it, then stop reading them. the guy just catches everything and adjusts to deep balls as well as anyone I have seen in a long time.

attitude? he has a DUI and got suspended a game for it, but outside of that I haven't seen much. He's a WR, so I assume he has some

will he drop? depends on if someone is willing to pay StL enough for RGIII. if yes, then he likely will fall to us at #4 (I think Minny goes Kalil). if no, then StL will likely take him at #2.

#gmstrong
Damanshot #648329 01/03/12 05:53 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
He was animated on the sidelines. I don't have a huge problem with that, as long as you curb it. The dude can play though. Reminds me a little of Terrell Owens, and he can take that thing and just burn. Huge 4th down clutch play that kept them in the game. I think 4 might be a little high especially when you consider how deep this draft is at WR, and I don't think he's quite as good as AJ Green is, and definitely not as valuable a prospect.

KingSteve #648330 01/03/12 05:57 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Straight STUD period.

Loved watching him for the past few years. A lock to be a Pro-Bowl WR a few years down the road.

The Browns could use those type of guys at every position. For me I'd rather get a top flight FA WR like Vincent Jackson than use this pick on one. We're really young as a position group there and I'd personally rather get a guy who can lead that group than draft one.

I'd rather spend valuable draft picks on the correct QB/RDE/CB/WLB than burn one on a young WR.

If we draft him I'm all for it though and will be happy. I love me some Blackmon.

[Linked Image]
KingSteve #648331 01/03/12 06:08 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
To me its his short quickness I don't like... Looks to be slow to me when I watch him run. And it seems like he just out muscles alot of these college athletes. He won't do that in the nfl against top cornerbacks. To me, with his character concerns and the percieved lack of short burst... that makes me not want him at 4. Maybe 10-20. But not a top 10 pro prospect IMO.

Heldawg #648332 01/03/12 06:09 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Very talented kid with great run after catch potential. It is hard to say what the plan is at this point. I like Claiborne better but the kid has skill.

KingSteve #648333 01/03/12 06:10 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Not a fan for the following reasons:

1.) Drops - He drops a lot of balls, in Braylon-esque ways. For some reason this happens the most when the ball hits him straight in the hands at a full run - not sure the reason for it - but in the WCO you need receivers with great hands.

2.) Run Blocking - The next time Blackmon decides to run block will probably be the first. He also doesn't block on screens, and OK State never allows him on the side of a screen pass (as a #1 receiver that isn't too common anyway, but they do it 0 times).

3.) Attitude - He slacks a lot when he knows he isn't being targeted, doesn't run routes - also you can see an attitude if he's not being targeted early (watch Texas A&M).

That said he's immensely talented (though not in the class of the receivers who tend to go top 5). But he definitely has his faults -- I see Kalil/Claiborne/Luck/Richardson are the only truly elite talents in this class.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 01/03/12 06:13 PM.

~Lyuokdea
Heldawg #648334 01/03/12 06:19 PM
Legend
Legend
The only problems I have with taking a WR that high are .....

1) I feel that we have a far more pressing and desperate need at QB, and if there is a player there that can fill that need we must figure out a way to get him.

2) This seems like a pretty deep draft for really good WRs. I think we can get a really high end WR with our second 1st round pick, or even our 2nd or 3rd rounders.

3) WR seems like a position that the really great teams handle in the 2nd-3rd rounds. I look at Pittsburgh, New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, Houston, Detroit, Giants, Chargers, Cowboys, Dallas and Atlanta ...... and I think that there are maybe 7or so first round picks on all of those really strong passing teams combined. (Off the top of my head, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Hakeen Nicks, and Robert Meachum, who I forgot about at first, because he doesn't start for the Saints) Anyone I am forgetting? I just don't see teams building around the WR position in the first round. Not the great teams anyway. A few great teams have a great first round wide receiver ...... but those teams have a great QB too.

If I am not terribly mistaken, San Francisco has 2 starters who were first round picks in Ginn and Crabtree. (and they just dumped former first round pick Braylon Edwards) They are one of the bottom teams in the league as far as passing.

WR seems to me to be the position you go after high in the draft only after you have the rest of your team put together. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you just don't find many WRs carrying their team to a Super Bowl win.

That's my say on the matter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
KingSteve #648335 01/03/12 06:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't even consider him in the top five.

He's a diva, he's been arrested, he drops too many passes along the sideline, he isn't very fast, he isn't very explosive, and he isn't very tall. He will be a good, but not great player in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

hands? have not seen that in games nor in print. if someone wrote it, then stop reading them. the guy just catches everything and adjusts to deep balls as well as anyone I have seen in a long time.

attitude? he has a DUI and got suspended a game for it, but outside of that I haven't seen much. He's a WR, so I assume he has some

will he drop? depends on if someone is willing to pay StL enough for RGIII. if yes, then he likely will fall to us at #4 (I think Minny goes Kalil). if no, then StL will likely take him at #2.

Sorry,, I should have been clearer. first, I know very little about him. In fact, last night was the first time I actually watched him play and I was impressed.

But someone started a thread on him in the draft forum and there are lots and lots of negatives as well as lots and lots of positives..

I should have pointed out that my comments were a result of reading that thread.., sorry for the confusion

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
YTownBrownsFan #648337 01/03/12 06:31 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
QB
LT
RDE
CB1

Those are the four most important positions on a football team. The debate among the rest of the positions and their relative value will continue on. But those 4? Those are etched in stone in that order.

You have to have a skilled QB to be a team with lasting success in today's NFL. Not debatable.

You have to give that QB competant blind side protection. If you don't you will get your QB injured or you will have to adjust your scheme significantly to provide that protection.

You have to be able to get to the opposing QB to have success defending the pass. The most impactful place to get that pressure is from the blind side.

Finally you have to be able to take away an opposing QB best weapon. If you can't with one player then you have to do it schematically with double teams or other measures.

-----------------------------------------------

Off that soapbox...

The most important things to do this off season is to solve the QB and RDE positions. WR while nice and impactful will not have the impact that solving those two positions will.

[Linked Image]
DeepThreat #648338 01/03/12 06:33 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Couldn't disagree with you more.

How do you define explosive if Blackmon isn't it? The guy has it in spades.

There are times and plays where he reminds me of Andre Johnson for cripes sake!

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #648339 01/03/12 06:38 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
I would describe him as sneaky speed. He never looks like he's running that fast, but he blows by the DBs trying to cover him.

#gmstrong
Heldawg #648340 01/03/12 06:39 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see Anquan Boldin. Blackmon isn't half the athlete Johnson is.

DeepThreat #648341 01/03/12 06:48 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would counter that Blackmon has far more raw speed than Boldin. You're really going to be surprised when Blackmon runs a 4.4 aren't you.

The last statement I'll make on Blackmon is that he has that BEAST MODE that few players at the WR position have.

That 4th down in the 4th quarter is a perfect example of it. He runs a slant, totally shielding the defender. Then treats him like a rag doll when he tries to tackle him. GET OFF ME! BAM!

Loved it. That was quintessentially Blackmon right there. One of the best WRs I've seen play college football in my 30 years of following the game.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #648342 01/03/12 07:01 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
He's great at shielding off defenders with his body -- it's easily his biggest strength.

When you talk about blowing by defenders though - remember which defense he was playing last night.

I will be shocked if he runs a 4.4 -- that could easily propel him into the top 5 (though I still wouldn't take him).

~Lyuokdea
Barfolemew #648343 01/03/12 07:06 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Looks to be slow to me when I watch him run. And it seems like he just out muscles alot of these college athletes. He won't do that in the nfl against top cornerbacks.

Really???

This kid is a "Man-Child"...Much like that POS that played for the Cavaliers...

I'm not huge on 6'1" WR's as high as 4 in any draft...But this kid is a PLAYMAKER that has a physical ability that will only get better to go up against ANY Corner in this league...

Blackmon is Michael Irvin all over again...

Not every #1 in this league needs to be 6'4"+...We already have a guy that u can LOB it for in the endzone...And he's damn near as "BAAAD" as Blackmon...U know his name..

Blackmon will be a STUD wherever he goes...And THAT is damn well worth a 4 pick...

Go Browns!!!
Heldawg #648344 01/03/12 07:52 PM
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I said this a couple weeks ago when the Browns were slated to pick around 7th: "If Blackmon is there when the Browns pick, you thank whatever deity you believe in and turn in the card." Now that we're picking 4th, we definitely have more options. But if we end up picking Blackmon, I will be perfectly fine with that.

I've watched a handful of OSU games the last 2 years, mainly to focus on Blackmon. Everytime, I walk away impressed with the kid.

He might not run the fastest 40 time, but he passes the eye test for flat out speed. I'm not sure how you can say he's not explosive...he can jump out of the gym, and looks very quick getting in-and-out of his routes. One of his best moves is coming out slow off the line, then hitting the boosters and blowing by the CB. I remember him blowing by Prince Amukamara (4.43 forty) on one of these. He's an excellent route runner, which I think is often overlooked. Good route running creates more separation than flat-out speed. He is outstanding at using his big body on passes over the middle and on deep balls.

If you want to know if someone has good hands, just watch their hand placement as they catch the ball, especially on slants. If they let the ball get into their body or jump unnecessarily to catch the ball (as much as I like Cribbs, he does this alot, and I've seen it from Little alot this year too), they don't have good hands, and they aren't what I like to call a "natural pass-catcher." Blackmon makes a living on slants, and he is a natural pass-catcher.

Lyuokdea - coming from someone who played WR - catching a slant running at full speed is probably the easiest pass to drop. The QB has to rifle it in, you have such little time to react, and you have LBs and safeties waiting to pop you. Blackmon makes a living on the slant (a route the all the current Browns relievers are all horrible at), so it's not surprising that he's dropped a few. When I watch him, I don't see a body-catcher ala Quincy Morgan.

Not sure how some of you can list attitude as a concern, and then say you rate Floyd higher. Floyd is also very talented, but he is a total headcase. Look no further than the recent bowl game.

Also not sure why you want to compare him to AJ, because they are totally different WRs. Green = Moss, while Blackmon is kind of like Boldin and Brandon Marshall, but I think he is more explosive and a much better route-runner. But if you really want to go there:

AJ is probably a little faster, but not much (remember, Green's fastest 40 was only 4.48 at the combine). AJ is 3 inches is taller, with longer arms, and might be able to jump higher (not sure on that one). Hands are similar, but I will give a slight edge to Green.

Blackmon is much stronger and thicker (plays much bigger than Green, even though he is shorter), and thus is better getting off the line against press coverage and using his body to shield defenders. Slightly better route-runner than Green. From what I've seen, he is better after the catch.

Some of you act like Green was some amazing prospect...people weren't even sure he was the best WR in the draft last year. Now, don't get me wrong, I liked Green alot last year and was hoping he would fall to us, but he was no Calvin Johnson-like prospect.

Looking at everything, I think Blackmon is much better suited to play in a WCO than Green is.

OrangeCrush #648345 01/03/12 08:20 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

I think we would be better off and address another position at 1A, and if we want to go receiver, pick Mohammad Sanu at 1B.

Jefferies might even be there at 1B.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #648346 01/03/12 08:28 PM
Legend
Legend
If Luck doesn't fall to us at #4 it's Blackmon all the way!

#GMSTRONG
Ballpeen #648347 01/03/12 09:00 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Alshon is gonna be a star for someone but having no qb at all has put his stock into the 2nd round, again I think the real value on receivers this year is gonna be in 3rd and 4th rounds.

Dwight jones 6-4 225 UNC
Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M 6-3 220
Joe Adams WR Arkansas 5-11 190
Tommy Streeter WR Miami (Fla.) 6-4 215
Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma 5-10 190
Marvin McNutt WR Iowa 6-2 215

That is just a few of those guys but there are a ton of receivers in that area with real NFL talent. These guys are gonna be starting in the NFL. Blackmon and Wright are probably the only 2 receivers going in the first round but I wouldnt mind atleast 2 receivers in the mid rounds.

Mourgrym #648348 01/03/12 09:16 PM
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
I'm thinkin that we could jockey around in the late 1st to get him would be a great move...I like Alshon

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
KingSteve #648349 01/03/12 09:23 PM
Legend
Legend
I kind of like Blackmon.

I haven't been this excited about a player since LeSean McCoy, so I'm hoping we get him. That's my scientific explanation for wanting him.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
OrangeCrush #648350 01/03/12 09:43 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
all I know is A.J Green is 1s WR since 2003 to esclipse a 1,000 yards.
Can you prove that Blackmon is a better route runner?
I like Blackmon,but anyone saying he is better than Green is having illusions.
Blackmon has yet to play a NFL down.
I seen 1st RD WR's in the past that had the same attributes as Blackmon..but in time they were either cut or or journeyman
Rashad Woods
Marquis Walker
Roy Williams
David Terrell
Braylon Edwards.
Lets wait and see on Blackmon before we annoint him leagues above AJ Green.

Mourgrym #648351 01/03/12 09:51 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Alshon is gonna be a star for someone but having no qb at all has put his stock into the 2nd round, again I think the real value on receivers this year is gonna be in 3rd and 4th rounds.

Dwight jones 6-4 225 UNC

That is just a few of those guys but there are a ton of receivers in that area with real NFL talent. These guys are gonna be starting in the NFL. Blackmon and Wright are probably the only 2 receivers going in the first round but I wouldnt mind atleast 2 receivers in the mid rounds.

What do you think of Sanu???

I am the only one talking about the guy. Am I just crazy?? I think the guy is going to be super.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #648352 01/03/12 09:58 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

You didn't ask me but, ...

I like Sanu with our 2nd rounder, if we don't get a WR in the 1st. Good quickness, good hands, route running I have seen could be improved, has looked like he 'rounds off' routes to me, decent body control as well. He does have straight line speed as well, but quickness is more important to me, into and out of cuts etc. Have seen more 'body catches' than I would like to, but does use his hands a lot as well.

Oh and an important thing, he doesn't jump every time he is about to catch the ball.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
BatDawg #648353 01/03/12 10:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oh and an important thing, he doesn't jump every time he is about to catch the ball.

So you're saying that's bad...?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
BatDawg #648354 01/03/12 10:05 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

LOL...I hate those guys.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #648355 01/03/12 10:36 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sanu I see as an early to mid 2nd round guy. He seems to have pretty good hands and powerful legs. I cant really judge his routes because even if he runs a route that looked crisp the ball was often late or in a bad position which should make him feel right at home with the Browns.

Pretty good blocker in the run game. Just seems to need polish and his stock will really depend on his 40 time. He is a tough physical receiver and if he can surprise with a good 40, he has a chance to move into the first.

Mourgrym #648356 01/03/12 10:39 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Dwight jones 6-4 225 UNC

Right there is probably the best argument against Blackmon.

Man...there are some good WRs coming out of college these days. I had kind of forgotten about McNutt. And I love Broyles and think he's Derrick Mason 2.0.

This is the year to get the QB, mortgage the future and get Luck...and get the WRs later.

[Linked Image]
Mourgrym #648357 01/03/12 10:45 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Sanu I see as an early to mid 2nd round guy. He seems to have pretty good hands and powerful legs. I cant really judge his routes because even if he runs a route that looked crisp the ball was often late or in a bad position which should make him feel right at home with the Browns.

Pretty good blocker in the run game. Just seems to need polish and his stock will really depend on his 40 time. He is a tough physical receiver and if he can surprise with a good 40, he has a chance to move into the first.

OK....we agree.....I am talking at 1B or 2....that's in line.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #648358 01/03/12 11:04 PM
Legend
Legend
[Slight Homer Alert]

What about Junoir Hemingway. (UM, 6-1, 222lbs)

Has good hands. RS Senoir (Which to me means experienced)

I've seen mostly 3rd round for him...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Kendall Storm #648359 01/03/12 11:58 PM
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Never said Blackmon is better, just pointing out their differences. AJ Green is more suited to a vertical passing game (which I haven't seen us run this year). Blackmon can be a deep-threat, though not as good as Green, but I feel he does have some attributes that fit in well with a WCO. Pick him up and get a speedy slot that can stretch the field vertically down the middle (or a faster TE like Hernandez of the Patriots) and you have the makings a a pretty good passing attack (minus QB)

I've seen WRs with similar skillsets to AJ Green get cut and end-up journymen. Look no further than Braylon Edwards. Ok, AJ has much more reliable hands, but you get the point.

OrangeCrush #648360 01/04/12 07:41 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/k

Blackmon, if he's still on the board at # 4 we grab him, He wont be, Rams will snatch him up at # 2,

As for taking him at # 4 too high.....If you need him you draft him, If you know without a doubt, this person is going to come in right away & help your football team you draft him, If you know this person fills a glaring hole for your team, you take them, no matter what the so called experts say.

So with Blackmon being gone to the Rams, who do we take at # 4.

ClayM57 #648361 01/04/12 08:12 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

J/k

Blackmon, if he's still on the board at # 4 we grab him, He wont be, Rams will snatch him up at # 2,

As for taking him at # 4 too high.....If you need him you draft him, If you know without a doubt, this person is going to come in right away & help your football team you draft him, If you know this person fills a glaring hole for your team, you take them, no matter what the so called experts say.

So with Blackmon being gone to the Rams, who do we take at # 4.

Don't be so sure...That 6'1" frame is a big reason he may just be there at 4...

The best thing Goodell has done is incorporate this Rookie Salary Structure...Trades in the top 5 will now happen...Only picks being the cost...Not Millions...

This thing can go soooo many ways even with Luck being the concensus #1...Who trades for Manning???...Who tries to come up to 2 or 3 for RGIII???...I'm not so sure Miami will pay the price to do it...And I think it's a safe bet that Manning goes to either Miami or Washington...

I think the 1st 3 players gone will be Luck/Kalil/RGIII...Just a matter of what team and where...

Then comes Blackmon and Claiborne if Minny doesn't snag Claiborne...

As much as I LOVE Claiborne...I think I go BPA with NEED in mind...And in prior years I would NEVER SAY THAT...These 2 SHOULD be rated close enough to justify taking???

BLACKMON...Man he and Little would look good...I also snag Broyles with a 4th...

Mour...Deep???...What's the word on Broyles???...Will he be anywhere near ready for any Combine/Pro Day/Team workouts by April???

Go Browns!!!
Dawg in Dayton #648362 01/04/12 08:45 AM
Legend
Legend
The ONLY reason I wouldn't want Claiborne is because I don't want an excuse next year to not grab Honey Badger

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Blackmon

Link Copied to Clipboard