Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Legend
Legend
N
I don't consider it falling all over myself. I think it's a reasonable approach to figuring out who our QB should be next season.

if Flynn is an UFA, then is he plus Blackmon (or Kalil) better than RGIII? if we expect to need to trade up for RGIII, then is having Flynn+Blackmon+Z.Sanders(2nd round pick) better than having RGIII?

to me his positives outweigh his negatives (listed both pretty extensively in first thread)

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

DA was putting the ball in spots where they could make the catch

Seriously, that is a VERY generous description of what DA was doing.

He sprayed the ball all over the place; our guys were just damned good at going after it. Edwards was focusing and Winslow was Winslow... ditto JJ.

I don't think it was THAT bad. DA was putting the ball on the money 30yds down field, that cannot be ignored.

They fed off each other. I don't think that can be denied. I also don't think that it can be denied that building a team that way is not the smart thing moving forward.

you had a good run Hank.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I don't consider it falling all over myself. I think it's a reasonable approach to figuring out who our QB should be next season.

if Flynn is an UFA, then is he plus Blackmon (or Kalil) better than RGIII? if we expect to need to trade up for RGIII, then is having Flynn+Blackmon+Z.Sanders(2nd round pick) better than having RGIII?

to me his positives outweigh his negatives (listed both pretty extensively in first thread)

Honestly, I don't know.

I'm not sure how I feel about Flynn. I remember watching him in College and not being that impressed. I have seen his games from the NFL and still think he's potentially a good starting QB, but his arm could seriously hinder him.

I will say, his ability to read and defeat a defense is extremely good. He can also beat a team on a blitz, which is a great thing for a QB in this division, and is something we currently lack.

I am a huge RG3 fan so I don't know if I'd want one or the other. I still am trying to figure that out myself, as it is a great debate and certainly is tempting both ways, IMO.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
I don't think anyone is saying that it is the way to build a team.

People are simply saying that:

1. that may be what was seen with Flynn.
2. without weapons, no QB is going to matter long term... as you pointed out, it is a symbiotic relationship

BOTH side need to be addressed, the debate is in the order in which to do them... and how much to invest.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
None of the players involved has gone on to acclaim ....... so you tell me who made who then?

I have already brought up the fact that we played a weak schedule, and that this was probably a factor.

I look at how Edwards and Winslow played with Frye at QB. (and the OL too) People blaested every player on the team for not playing good enough, and letting poor Charlie down .........

Until Anderson went in, and flaws and all, turned this team around.

That year would have been a 4-12 year with fans clamoring for a new OL and new receivers if Frye had played the entire year. Like it or not, you cannot possibly debate the fact that Anderson, even with all of his flaws, had the biggest impact of any player on that team that year. Well, you could debate it, but not reasonably.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I don't think anyone is saying that it is the way to build a team.

People are simply saying that:

1. that may be what was seen with Flynn.
2. without weapons, no QB is going to matter long term... as you pointed out, it is a symbiotic relationship

BOTH side need to be addressed, the debate is in the order in which to do them... and how much to invest.

Well, unlike DA, Flynn managed to put up 45 points with only a good supporting cast. Finley is a great player, but Jordy Nelson and James Jones are probably #2's at best and certainly aren't going to make plays that Braylon or JJ made that year.

And I think #2 is slightly false. I think a franchise QB can make do with just about any WR core, except for the crap we threw out on the field this year. Just look at what P Manning, Rivers, Brady, heck even Romo and Eli Manning can do with relative nobodies. So I don't think we need an all-star cast, but we certainly MUST get better talent around whoever our QB is.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Isn't 2007 when we had Ryan Tucker on the right side all season? I think that is the most-overlooked aspect of our success that year.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

None of the players involved has gone on to acclaim ....... so you tell me who made who then?

it was all Chud since he's the only one from that offense who has gone on to replicate success since

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Isn't 2007 when we had Ryan Tucker on the right side all season? I think that is the most-overlooked aspect of our success that year.

It's also the same o-line that looked like crap when we played with Frye.

I think that offensive line, that year, was just as good as the one we had this year. The difference we had a QB who got rid of the ball very quick.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

. DA made them,

Oh, now I *KNOW* you are seriously smoking some stuff. Seriously delusional, mind-altering stuff.

DA couldn't make brownies, much less a receiver. He was bailed out CONSTANTLY by Edwards, Winslow and JJ. Period, not even debatable.
If not for those three constantly making freak-show catches, DA's career would have been a still-birth.

The fact that he couldn't make a short throw to save his life is immaterial... that fault existed both early and late in the season. The fact that it took the rest of the NFL half the season to realize that all they had to do was defend deep doesn't mean anything except that it made their lives a helluva easier in stopping the 3 receivers.

I'm sure glad that you mentioned JJ Prup, he was huge in 2007. Mr 1st down!

Will we ever find another JJ?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

When have either Winslow or Edwards matched the year they had in 2007?

Both went on to play with better teams and better QBs. When have they even come close to matching what they accomplished that year?

Answer: They haven't.

Yeah,,, Winslow has had 2700+ yards in Tampa and 2000 or so in Clevelnad. He had a very good year in 07 then dropped off badly in 08 with us.

He went to tampa and while he didn't have as many catches, he had as many TD's twice since he's been in Tampa. 5 tds three times in his career. once here and twice in Tampa. Yes, his yardage and number of receptions have dropped.. Big deal

Edwards is a different animal.. 16 TD's in 07 and nothing close since. But he was a decent performer in NY.

Remember something (which I know you don't want us to look at) Both Tampa and the Jets had other options to throw the ball too..

Here, Braylon and Winslow were about all we had.

But of course, you don't want to look at that because that would throw your thinking right out the window..

The Jets had Cotchery and Holmes. Tampa had Mike Clayton and Antonio Bryant.. remember him, he was pretty good for us.. Wierd, but solid. without a doubt, fun to watch.

So please, you make it sound as if they fell off the planet after that year and the didn't.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Edwards also wasn't a head case in 2007.. in fact that year sort of made him into the head case he eventually would become.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

So there ya go. It must have been DA who stepped up and made those WR's great.

Quote:

Until Anderson went in, and flaws and all, turned this team around.

And there's yer proof!

So what the hell happened to DA after he left here? Seems he couldn't turn anything around but his coaches heads as they were looking for another QB to replace him with.

I liked your "perfect storm" theory better.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Edwards also wasn't a head case in 2007.. in fact that year sort of made him into the head case he eventually would become.

Tru dat

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
jc...

Braylon and K2 put up decent numbers with Charlie Frye at QB. Not great, but not terrible either. In Braylon's 1 game with Frye at QB during their rookie year he had 5 catches for 86 yards and 2 TDs before he blew his knee out. In 06 Braylon and K2 were both coming back from knee surgeries and combined for 1700+ yards and 9 touchdowns (by comparison, our top two receivers this year combined for 1227 yards and 6 TDs...33% less production).

I won't say that DA "made" Braylon and K2 in 2007. What he did was get passes out very quickly and take the fewest sacks of any QB in the NFL. The whole team was pretty much in total sync in 2007. Lightning in a bottle, unfortunately.

I'd also venture a guess that Jamal Lewis was a bit of an upgrade over Reuben Droughns.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c

I'm still more on the side of building a solid team first. Then you're able, if you don't have your elite QB yet, to still win games.

That being said, I think that the supporting cast AND the QB need to all make each other better. The best WRs in the world won't make Doug Pederson into Joe Montana, and Joe Montana won't make Mohamad Massaquoi into Jerry Rice.

If the RIGHT QB is there when we pick OR it doesn't cost too many picks to get him, I'm all for it. If the opposite is true, I'd rather draft the weapons and fill the arsenal.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
As I have said many times, I think that defenses started taking away the things that Anderson did best, If I expand slightly, most specifically defenses started rotating their defenses post snap instead of letting him primarily go off a pre-snap read. (which he was very good at)

I have long held that young QBs have the advantage initially, because they know what they do well, and they are going to play to their strengths right off the bat. Defenses then start to get film on them, and start scheming to take away what the young QB does well, and force him into other areas that are not his strength. The young QB then either adjusts to their adjustments ...... or flops.

Anderson flopped.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DA was putting the ball in spots where they could make the catch

Seriously, that is a VERY generous description of what DA was doing.

He sprayed the ball all over the place; our guys were just damned good at going after it. Edwards was focusing and Winslow was Winslow... ditto JJ.

I don't think it was THAT bad. DA was putting the ball on the money 30yds down field, that cannot be ignored.

They fed off each other. I don't think that can be denied. I also don't think that it can be denied that building a team that way is not the smart thing moving forward.

Da was putting the ball where any qb who stares down his receivers put it: in the hands of the defense. Enough of DA he was a turd.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
J / C

I'm in the corner of signing Matt Flynn, no way GB franchises Flynn and takes a chance on losing Finley! Then we draft Blackmon, then K Wright, Minniefield, and L James (LaMichael). H & H want playmakers there you go, 4 playmakers.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Two weeks ago, a stellar, record-setting performance from Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn sparked speculation that the Packers could use the franchise tag on the free-agent-to-be, in order to prevent him from hitting the open market in March.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Packers are “unlikely” to do so.

Though they have several more weeks to make a final decision, use of the tag would entail significant risk. The Packers would have to offer Flynn a one-year salary that is expected to be in the range of $14.5 million.

That’s $6.5 million more than Aaron Rodgers‘ base salary for 2012.

Also, once the contract is offered to Flynn, he’d surely sign it — making the money fully guaranteed.

Then there’s the fact that any team trading for Flynn would have to sign him to long-term deal, with $14.5 million in 2012 serving as the starting point.

Link

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J / C

I'm in the corner of signing Matt Flynn, no way GB franchises Flynn and takes a chance on losing Finley! Then we draft Blackmon, then K Wright, Minniefield, and L James (LaMichael). H & H want playmakers there you go, 4 playmakers.

Depending how FA went (need some D help) I'd be ECSTATIC with that draft...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Do we really need two wide receivers?

Legend
Legend
If they have the talent, take them.

Unless you get a guy like Manningham or Jackson(eh) in FA.

Blackmon, Little, Wright, with Moore split out and James in the backfield?

AS LONG as the Oline is "fixed" (it's not "broken") and you get a guy like Flynn OR feel confident in going with Colt, that's an offense....

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would be confident with a new guy, Little, Massaquoi, Norwood, and Cribbs.

Legend
Legend
Based on that, the new guy needs to be a BIG WR.

(Yes I know Blackmon's only 6'2ish)

We need a big bodied WR to GO AND GET THE BALL... type of guy...

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
We do, his name is Evan Moore. Maybe the staff will figure out how to use him someday.

Big, tall WR's who can "go up and get the ball" is about the most played out thing in football - New England's offense being the best example.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Yep. NE's big tall guy that can go up and get the ball is their TE.

Legend
Legend
That's the thing, they HAVE that guy already, we don't (or we do, but don't use him)

Most good teams have that "It's 3rd and 6 we need a first down it's going to ___" guy, We don't.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I think our NE TE will be taken in next years draft, Jake Stoneburner.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I have to think that, after last night's game, the Packers will be cutting Rodgers to keep Flynn. So, maybe we'll be able to sign Rodgers to a 1 year "tryout" deal at veteran's minimum.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I have to think that, after last night's game, the Packers will be cutting Rodgers to keep Flynn. So, maybe we'll be able to sign Rodgers to a 1 year "tryout" deal at veteran's minimum.

Maybe they'll cut Matthews too!

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
While they're at it, I'll take Greg Jennings and Donald Driver on the side as well to make it a package deal. I'm thinking that they can't help themselves if we talk to them about getting guys with super high character(a la Mangini) instead of great talent. I'm feeling we can get those other guys if we deal someone like Marecic.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

it was all Chud since he's the only one from that offense who has gone on to replicate success since

Chud was BY FAR the most effective OC we've had since the return. what matters who is QB since we have the great Shurmur as OC.

C
Legend
Legend
C
You have to think that the Dolphins are the front runner for Flynn now that they hired his offensive coordinator as their head coach.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You have to think that the Dolphins are the front runner for Flynn now that they hired his offensive coordinator as their head coach.

I hope so.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd think that's really possible....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I hope so.

ok. of course that puts more pressure on Washington to trade ahead of us as well.

Miami getting Flynn was sort of worst case scenario.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope so.

Serious question, YTown. Do you like Griffin that much (hoping Flynn goes to the Dolphins) or just want someone to replace McCoy? I don't mean it in a smart way. I know you don't like McCoy, so I'm just trying to get a grasp on your thoughts.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope so.

ok. of course that puts more pressure on Washington to trade ahead of us as well.

Miami getting Flynn was sort of worst case scenario.

If the Redskins trade up. with the Vikings or rams that could be great. we get the top wr we want or the top OT. Let the skins gamble on the QB.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

If the Redskins trade up. with the Vikings or rams that could be great. we get the top wr we want or the top OT. Let the skins gamble on the QB.

I agree on this one.

-Derek Jeter
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Matt Flynn? Hmm...continued.

Link Copied to Clipboard