Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Legend
Legend
C
I never said he wasn't injured. What I said was that he quit. And his teammates having to talk to him about not moping tells me something.

Legend
Legend
sounds like they were pretty ticked at him..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

He ended the season playing hard, but in the middle he quit.

Quote:

The comment, and a slew of similarly sarcastic jeers from other Cleveland players, drew laughs from aisle to aisle. However, as Hillis counted his bag of petty cash and the Browns took off for San Francisco, where two days later they would lose to the 49ers to drop to 3-4, strains of distrust and dysfunction were swirling through the pressurized air.

By Wednesday, a group of about eight Browns veterans had summoned Hillis into a meeting room for an intervention-style, air-clearing session designed to restore his focus. After a breakout season in 2010 that vaulted him to national prominence, including a spot on the “Madden NFL ’12” cover, the 25-year-old back’s consuming desire for a new contract has become a locker room distraction that numerous teammates regard as an impediment to cohesion and collective success.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” says one Browns veteran. “Last year, Peyton was such a positive, inspirational force on our team – but now he’s like a different guy. It’s like he’s in a funk that he can’t get out of, and it’s killing us, because we really need him. And we’ve told him that. But we’re at the point where we just don’t know what to do.”

During an interview session with reporters in the locker room of the Browns’ training facility Thursday, Hillis conceded that his dissatisfaction with his contract and the accompanying controversies – including his decision to miss a late-September game against the Miami Dolphins while suffering from strep throat – have made it difficult to get his “mind right.”

Quote:

Most conspicuously, Hillis sat out the Sept. 25 victory over the Dolphins after a week-long bout with strep throat, reporting to Cleveland Stadium hours before the game, informing team officials he felt too sick to play and heading home prior to the arrival of most of his teammates. He later said he decided not to play on the advice of his agent, Kennard McGuire, adding to the suspicions of teammates, Browns officials and fans that his contract situation affected his availability.

More recently, Hillis annoyed teammates after joining third-string quarterback Thaddeus Lewis(notes) in a conspicuous competition to throw footballs off the crossbar of the Candlestick Park goalposts about 90 minutes before Sunday’s 20-10 defeat to the Niners. Hillis, who had aggravated the hamstring strain in a practice a few days earlier, supposedly was a game-time decision; the spectacle occurred while other Browns players were stretching and engaging in warm-ups; it was captured by CBS TV cameras and discussed on the broadcast.

“It was a bad look,” one veteran said, “and it did not sit well with any of us.”

Quote:

On the other hand, as one veteran player said, “The organization is not going to reward a guy they think is moping or acting out or going about it the wrong way, just out of principle, and because of the message it sends to younger guys. And I totally understand that.”

Link

Sure sounds like he quit.

these are pretty damning snippets I've never read before. still, what was said by the browns organization that prompted this kind of response? Takes two sides as they say.
I remember when Orlando Brown had a hell no response about signing back with the Browns, only later was it exposed Carmen Policy walked into his Hospital room wanting Brown to sign a waiver exempting the Browns from indemnity for the injury.

Just saying Hillis was a model citizen last year and became a problem child as a response to something. Pay the man, maybe not top 5 but as an NFL starter at RB. He is a great AFC north runner. abd why create a NEW hole to fill.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just saying Hillis was a model citizen last year and became a problem child as a response to something. Pay the man, maybe not top 5 but as an NFL starter at RB. He is a great AFC north runner. abd why create a NEW hole to fill.

I love hillis and I want him on the team next season.. but the problem, all reports we've seen say he wants big money..

he's solid,, no doubt about it, but is he a top 5 RB?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

My brief research on running backs shows me that you have a few RBs who demand top dollar... Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Darren McFadden, Michael Turner and MJD.. once you get past those five, there isn't a big difference between #6 and #10 or 11... these are guys like Ryan Grant, Marion Barber, and Ernest Graham.. anybody think Hillis isn't AT LEAST in that category?

Like I have said in another thread, there are some notable backs in FA this year, what they do will have a big impact on what Hillis is worth...

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

My brief research on running backs shows me that you have a few RBs who demand top dollar... Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Darren McFadden, Michael Turner and MJD.. once you get past those five, there isn't a big difference between #6 and #10 or 11... these are guys like Ryan Grant, Marion Barber, and Ernest Graham.. anybody think Hillis isn't AT LEAST in that category?

Like I have said in another thread, there are some notable backs in FA this year, what they do will have a big impact on what Hillis is worth...

you left out Chris Johnson who just got a huge contract. this offseason you'll have to add Matt Forte to that list. LeSean McCoy is going to be up for his big pay bump soon.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I don't get it.. Maybe he WAS moping a bit but what the heck does throwing balls at the crossbar got to do with his ability to run at full speed and pound people for 60 minutes ? And.. If I remember correctly Thomas or Brown said they did have a discussion with him during a NORMAL meeting but their was no INTERVENTION for petes sake. I swear the media just loves to create problems.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't get it.. Maybe he WAS moping a bit but what the heck does throwing balls at the crossbar got to do with his ability to run at full speed and pound people for 60 minutes ? And.. If I remember correctly Thomas or Brown said they did have a discussion with him during a NORMAL meeting but their was no INTERVENTION for petes sake. I swear the media just loves to create problems.

I see it the same way, ABF... and did way back when it all went down. Heck... at least the guy went to the game and was there with his team. Much ado about very little, imo.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you left out Chris Johnson who just got a huge contract. this offseason you'll have to add Matt Forte to that list. LeSean McCoy is going to be up for his big pay bump soon.

what about that Foster kid from Houston?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
We have all of these qoutes from Browns players regarding Hilliss and the meetings but no way to know if there was a lot more to the quote that got left out in order to make more of the story than what was actually there. It would not be the first time selective quoting was used to alter the context of what the conversation was about.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We have all of these qoutes from Browns players regarding Hilliss and the meetings but no way to know if there was a lot more to the quote that got left out in order to make more of the story than what was actually there. It would not be the first time selective quoting was used to alter the context of what the conversation was about.

There is also the possibility that yes, he let his new found fame get to his head, then he got hurt.. so he moped and didn't respond well.. then the players talked to him and it's all worked out...

Anybody else remember Mike Singletary kicking Vernon Davis off the sidelines in the middle of a game for committing a stupid selfish penalty and then his post-game rant about how selfish Vernon Davis was and how you couldn't win with him, couldn't coach him, etc.? Anybody think the 49ers made a mistake by re-signing Vernon Davis?

I think Hillis went through a bad spot with a number of issues.. from everything I've read it's over, the team needs him, he would like to be here... resign him at decent money.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

There is also the possibility that yes, he let his new found fame get to his head, then he got hurt.. so he moped and didn't respond well.. then the players talked to him and it's all worked out...

The same thing happened to me.

I joined my employer's fumbleball team. Fumble ball is a softball with raised seams. It takes odd flight paths in the air and bounces unpredictably in the infield. Kind evens the field for all teams involved. Anyway, after not having played since I was a hot stove 3rd baseman at age 15 here I was playing ball again at 28.

I still kinda had it and was loving it! I wasn't a great hitter nor a fast runner but I was very quick and played a fearless 3rd base. My friends/teammates were impressed with me and although I never made the cover of a video game I was feeling the love.

But before the second season started, at an early practice before the field's had been prepared, I got injured. I stupidly slid into home plate which was sticking up an inch or so from the winter/frozen ground effect and I turned my ankle hard tearing ligaments. It ended my ball playing. I walked with a marked limp for six freaking months and it was painful longer than that.

For the first few weeks I limped around feeling sorry for myself and generally having a pity party with me as the only guest. I didn't want to participate in any team activities and pooh-poohed anyone's comments to cheer me up.

Then one day my boss said to me, "I know playing ball meant a lot to you. It made you feel like a kid again. I get that. But if you can't run you can't play. That's the reality of it. As for me I miss you on the team but I'm feeling even stronger that I'm tired of seeing you acting like a "mean widdle kid" because you feel sorry for yourself. You've turned your back on your teammates and have become a loner who feels sorry for himself. You can't play but you can still contribute. You can still cheer on your teammates. You are a part of the team but you've made yourself and your problem bigger than that. Knock it off!"

In that moment I saw what an immature ass I'd become. That day I attended practice and limped around encouraging my friends and teammates. I attended games and unabashedly rooted and cheered the guys on. I felt like a team member again.

I think Hillis went through some of that.

Should he have been more professional about it? Sure. But so should I have beeen because it's not about being professional as it is simply being a mature adult.

It seems the players talked to him about his moping and it worked out.

I'm fine with him.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Good analogy ddubia!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
You QUIT on your team Ddub...

Just kidding

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Good analogy ddubia!

I'll sencond that! Well said.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

Quote:

Anybody else remember Mike Singletary kicking Vernon Davis off the sidelines in the middle of a game for committing a stupid selfish penalty and then his post-game rant about how selfish Vernon Davis was and how you couldn't win with him, couldn't coach him, etc.? Anybody think the 49ers made a mistake by re-signing Vernon Davis?

I think Hillis went through a bad spot with a number of issues.. from everything I've read it's over, the team needs him, he would like to be here... resign him at decent money.

I disagree about needing hillis; he's a great runningback and he has decent enough hands to thrive in our offense, and obviously provided the spark for us in the games where we actually moved the ball... but the landscape of the league is changing, and if we have to dump a ton of money into a skill position player whose primary function comes down to game management (and when are the browns really in a position to "manage" a game on the ground) we are making in my opinion a huge mistake.

the teams that are successful in the modern NFL climate are those that more or less have a runningback-by-committee design that can put up points through the air; you could make the argument that ray rice and arian foster are in the elite-class of runningbacks on contenders (they obviously are), but those teams didn't get to where they are (or were, in the case of the texans) on their offense, and the fact that they had top-tier defenses allowed them to go into that game-management mode. also keep in mind that the texans are in the rare position of having two great runningbacks (not to mention derrick ward as a third stringer who could at least factor in as a two on most teams and play well).

the point is that we should pool our money to go after a receiver before we dump money into supposedly this 'indispensable' running back. hardesty hasn't looked good, but we have to figure out at some point if he is even worth keeping, even if that means going into next year with he and craig ogbonnaya as our committee of runningbacks. i just feel that the best-case scenario of bringing hillis back on board is he has another monster year for a mediocre team, a la maurice jones-drew and the jaguars in 2011, and our neverending cycle of mediocrity continues.

Last edited by RiderofRohanB6; 01/22/12 04:49 AM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

ray rice and arian foster are in the elite-class of runningbacks on contenders (they obviously are), but those teams didn't get to where they are (or were, in the case of the texans) on their offense, and the fact that they had top-tier defenses allowed them to go into that game-management mode.

Ray Rice had over 1,300 yards and scored 12 TDs. I don't consider that game-management mode.

And the Texans are (with Schaub healthy) one of the most balanced teams in the NFL. They're backs are a primary piece of their offense - again, not game-management mode.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I disagree about needing hillis; he's a great runningback and he has decent enough hands to thrive in our offense, and obviously provided the spark for us in the games where we actually moved the ball... but the landscape of the league is changing, and if we have to dump a ton of money into a skill position player whose primary function comes down to game management (and when are the browns really in a position to "manage" a game on the ground) we are making in my opinion a huge mistake.

I agree with the premise of your whole post. But you do need a running back so you are going to pay someone. That may as well be Hillis.

There's a Shurmur quote on here where he says it's very difficult to involve 3 RB's in a game. So he's likely to use two. In my opinion one needs to be a bruiser like Hillis and the other can be an Obie-type or it may be Brandon Jackson or Smith.

It's not like paying a 1st round QB 5 years ago. Hillis is not going to break the bank or dwindle the funds to the point we can't get a WR in the draft or FA.

Hillis isn't the best nor do we have to have him. But his 11 TD's came in pretty handy in the 2010 season as did his ability to catch the ball. He's proven he has the skills. Maybe not as fast as we'd like but he's not a chump and is skilled nontheless.

I believe he's an asset to the team. That's not to say another RB couldn't take his place but he's here and he's worth a pay raise and he won't break the bank.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I believe he's an asset to the team. That's not to say another RB couldn't take his place but he's here and he's worth a pay raise and he won't break the bank.

But if rumors are true he's asking for $10 million and the Browns offer was $4 million.

I doubt the Browns will come up much more. Let's face it, in his time in the league Hillis has been hurt/on the bench as much or more than he's been on the field.

Maybe some team will pay up but I doubt it's the Browns.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Holmgren & Heckert Presser 01/05/2012 at 11:00

Link Copied to Clipboard