Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

With the same picks we could have had Clay Matthews, Ray Maulaluga, LeSean McCoy, Phil Loadholt and Brian Hartline...

Would you trade that for Matt Stafford?

If that's best case...and I probably still would do that trade since the only valuable pieces would be Matthews and McCoy...a franchise QB is worth more than a good RB and premier pass rusher...and they usually have longer careers...the other 3 are AVG or worse starters...merely complementary players

The 1 constant in both trade scenarios is Stafford...and since he looks like a pretty decent franchise QB he has tremendous value...1 thing is for sure...the owner of Matthews/McCoy etc would think about the scenario A LOT LONGER than the Stafford owner in the Mack/Massa deal...and you picked your best case of those 4 picks....that'll never happen, no GM is THAT perfect hitting all picks...our ACTUAL 09 is a lot closer to reality

I'm pretty sure the same guys that lament a possible uptrade for Luck would have gone ALL BANANAS if we moved from 5 to 1 to get Stafford and gave up all those "valuable" picks

Since our rebirth we've had good RB, WR, TE, OL play here and there, for a season or 2...same with DL, LB and (now) CB play....the 1 big constant since then has been BAD QB PLAY....maybe, just maybe that is our problem that needs to be fixed

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
GraffZ06 #650224 01/05/12 08:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So what you're saying is...you NEVER want to trade up for a player...EVER. Because they're always a "might be". Ok, got it.

This whole discussion reminds me of the old joke where the guy asks the woman, "Would you have sex with me for $2 million?" and the woman looks him over and says, "Well sure." So the guy says, "Would you have sex with me for $50?" and the indignant woman responds, "No way, what kind of girl do you think I am?" and the guy says, "We already established that, now we are just haggling over the price."

I don't think there is a person that has posted that wouldn't love to have Andrew Luck in a Browns uniform next year.. it has now been reduced to a ******ing contest over how much that is worth... and people have different opinions.

My own personal opinion is somewhere between those who would pay very little and those who would sell out most of this year and next year's drafts.

I happen to think that with a full offseason for everybody including the coaches, a healthy refocused Hillis, a healthy Steinbach, a reasonable upgrade at RT, possibly some depth at OL (and that's not touching the WRs) that... with the right QB, this is a 8-9 win team almost immediately...

If (and it's a big IF) Matt Flynn is the guy and is as good as some people think he is, who already has some NFL experience.. then you add Justin Blackmon, this is better than an 8-9 win team...

yebat' Putin
jfanent #650225 01/05/12 08:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Compare the first video with this one and you can see how much improvement this kid made in one year. There is a reason Mike Sherman raves about how coachable this kid is.

Mourgrym #650226 01/05/12 09:18 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just watched the first 3 minutes.

Do the WRs for A&M have frying pans for hands?

[Linked Image]
Mourgrym #650227 01/05/12 09:18 PM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Sign Flynn for five years, $35-$40M. Trade back with whoever loses out on RG3 (Indy's taking Luck) and pick up an extra No. 2. Take Richardson with 1A and Wright/Floyd/Jeffery?Sanu with 1B. Tannehill with 2A and he is third string behind Flynn and McCoy in year one. RT with 2B. If Flynn's the real, deal nothing else matters. If he sucks, Tannehill emerges in the meantime, maturing at a safe pace and takes over in year 3 and we cut Flynn. If Flynn's great and Tannehill turns out good, too, well, we'll be okay.

ThatGuy #650228 01/05/12 09:20 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I said if we spend a pick on a QB HIGHER THAN A 4TH ROUNDER... Then the FO has lost faith in McCoy...

You don't bring in Equal or Greater Valued Competition (McCoy being a 3rd Rd Pick) if you think he's the guy.. (Rivers/Bress is the exception, not the rule..)

That doesn't follow at all.

Mourgrym #650229 01/05/12 09:42 PM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Compare the first video with this one and you can see how much improvement this kid made in one year. There is a reason Mike Sherman raves about how coachable this kid is.

He still has that quirky release, but he's definitely firing the ball quicker. I'm afraid that with Jones staying in school, Tannehill's going to go higher in the draft. I don't think he'll even be there with our 1b pick now.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #650230 01/06/12 07:26 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks....I like him, and have for a while.

He has tons of upside since he hasn't played the position very long. Coaching can clean up much in his mechanics.

I'd take him at 1B, but I think he is gone earlier.

I'd move up from that pick to take him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #650231 01/06/12 07:56 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Thanks....I like him, and have for a while.

He has tons of upside since he hasn't played the position very long. Coaching can clean up much in his mechanics.

I'd take him at 1B, but I think he is gone earlier.

I'd move up from that pick to take him.

I don't think that I'd move up from that pick to take him but he could be there. I doubt that they take him though, I think that Holmgren is looking further down the draft for a QB prospect.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I said if we spend a pick on a QB HIGHER THAN A 4TH ROUNDER... Then the FO has lost faith in McCoy...

You don't bring in Equal or Greater Valued Competition (McCoy being a 3rd Rd Pick) if you think he's the guy.. (Rivers/Bress is the exception, not the rule..)

That doesn't follow at all.

Yea, I think that a first round QB means you are much less certain that Colt is the guy and you the new guy is now option A, a second or third means that you are still on the fence and want to begin preparing option B just in case and anything from 4 down means you are still ok with Colt, and might just be looking for that Tom Brady late round miracle who could become the guy in a couple years if Colt fails to improve.

yebat' Putin
Ballpeen #650233 01/06/12 09:40 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The one thing you have to remember about him is this is his second year at QB. I think that's why so many teams are interested in him. I look at him the same way as you (2nd rounder in need of development) but I think he has a very high ceiling, because he still has plenty that can be coached into him.

This isnt a guy who has been given ample time to develop pocket presence of decision making yet still does very well. Give him some time with the right coaches and he could become a very solid starter. He has all the measurables and is mobile when needed. .

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 01/06/12 09:41 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know all the details. I would imagine he played the position in HS....suppose I can check on that.

It would be a pretty amazing story if the guy has never played QB, walks in as a Jr at a major college level team and takes over as QB.

Just checked, he played QB in HS....his senior year he missed 2 games....passed for 1200 some yards and rushed for over 600.

One of those athlete types A&M converted to get him out of a log jam at QB and on to the field.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #650235 01/06/12 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was a WR.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273654/ryan-tannehill

Tannehill arrived in College Station as one of the top dual-threat quarterback prospects in the nation, but showed an exceptional team-first attitude by switching to receiver after losing the pre-season quarterback battle to Jerrod Johnson as a redshirt freshman in 2008. When Johnson struggled early in the 2010 season due to injury, however, Tannehill stepped into the fire and earned great respect from all of college football--and NFL scouts--by leading the team to six consecutive victories and a bowl berth, completing 65 percent of his passes for 1,638 yards and 13 touchdowns against six interceptions.

It's not as though his two seasons as primarily a receiver for the Aggues were unsuccessful. He caught 59 passes for 844 yards and five scores in that 2008 season, earning the team's offensive MVP award as well as Freshman All-American honors. Tannehill led the team for the second straight year in receiving in 2009 (46-609-4), receiving work at quarterback in three games (completing four of eight passes for 60 yards).

Ballpeen #650236 01/06/12 12:07 PM
Legend
Legend
6'4"
Big Arm
Mobile
Knows the WCO

I'm starting to become a fan of this idea...

Not before the 2nd round though...

Can he come in and be our Andy Dalton? (Teamed with our AJ Green: Justin Blackmon?)

Gah I hate speculating...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The one thing you have to remember about him is this is his second year at QB. I think that's why so many teams are interested in him. I look at him the same way as you (2nd rounder in need of development) but I think he has a very high ceiling, because he still has plenty that can be coached into him.

The problem with Tannehill is that Cleveland might be the worst place for him. The second our QB (whoever it is) has a bad game, the fans will start calling for the young kid to come in and take over. See: pretty much every QB controversy we've had since 1999.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
TheJoker #650238 01/06/12 12:16 PM
Legend
Legend
That is where the coaching staff has to have enough brass to ignore the idiot fans.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
And it's no different in any NFL city.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Mourgrym #650240 01/06/12 01:01 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Coming from Northwestern, I've watched too many games to give an opposing QB much credit for what he does against us.

~Lyuokdea
ThatGuy #650241 01/06/12 01:18 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
And since the league changed the rules about WR/CB play and put in the illegal contact rule, the league's been even more skewed for passing offenses to the point where people claiming you don't need an elite QB can't even point to the Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson outliers.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Lyuokdea #650242 01/06/12 02:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watched the video and wasn't impressed. I came away thinking eh, okay performance. Nothing more nothing less.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
ThatGuy #650243 01/06/12 03:07 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For us, I definitely think Tannehill is the 2nd best QB in this draft and I'd fully be on board with us taking him. I still wouldn't take him before the 2nd round though because, like I said before, I think he could be better than McCoy but I just don't see "elite". It's not about getting "a" guy, it's about getting "the" guy. I like Tannehill a lot but can he be that type of QB?

The problem is someone is surely going to draft him before our pick at #37. So is he worth our pick at #22-#25? Boy, that's a tough question. I guess it depends on how you would rank him against the FA QB's available and the QB prospects expected to come out in 2013.

If we pass/can't obtain Luck we still need to upgrade the QB position somehow in the very near future.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
GraffZ06 #650244 01/06/12 03:11 PM
Legend
Legend
I think you also have to take a longer view of things.

If this guy is coming out and has experience in the WCO, then next year there will be someone as well... so, how does that person project at this point, etc?
If that guy isn't viewed as being more than a backup, then would it perhaps be more prudent to just pass on him altogether being that we already have at least one backup in the WCO? That pick can then be spent on filling an actual need - because we can absolutely be certain that backup QB is NOT a need at this point.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I get what you're saying but looking at these guys remaining..I feel 2-3 of them are upgrades to McCoy.
Not including Luck, these guys possess things that McCoy doesn't have,and I think they have a good chance of succeeding.

Legend
Legend
Well, my point is that unless you are definitely going to be getting an upgrade on the starter, there is no point in grabbing a guy.... and if you already have one (or two) backups, then there is no point in grabbing a guy that won't be a clear upgrade on the starter.

If the guy you are looking at falls into one of those scenarios, or is borderline in them, then you really need to look at what may be coming in the future because pulling the trigger this year may well not be the best move.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Completely agree with you Purp.

Quote:

Well, my point is that unless you are definitely going to be getting an upgrade on the starter, there is no point in grabbing a guy.... and if you already have one (or two) backups, then there is no point in grabbing a guy that won't be a clear upgrade on the starter.

Which is why we need Luck . He's the only "definite upgrade" available IMO.

Quote:

If the guy you are looking at falls into one of those scenarios, or is borderline in them, then you really need to look at what may be coming in the future because pulling the trigger this year may well not be the best move.

And this is where I think Tannehill falls. Which is why I said that's a tough decision and depends on the FA/2013 draft prospects available. Which way we go will for sure tell us H&H's true opinions of McCoy. If we pull the trigger on a Tannehill then they feel an upgrade at QB (even if not a sure thing) is imperative. If we use our higher picks instead on other positions and bring in a late round flier QB or low tier FA then they think McCoy showed enough to get one more year with better talent around him. Will be interesting for sure.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't reach , take what the draft has to offer .. There will talent in the into the third and fourth rounds ! Thats all I gotsta say..

GraffZ06 #650249 01/06/12 05:39 PM
Legend
Legend
Colt was a bit of a project who needed to sit, Tannehill is a project that should sit.. I just don't want to get into this situation where we keep drafting projects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but can't afford them the time to sit...

Go big or don't go at all on the QB spot this year... I'll be repeating that right up until draft day.. If you think Flynn is "the guy" then go get him and pay the money and commit to it, if not, go get RGIII, if you don't like him enough, make a good offer for Luck, if you don't get him, stick with Colt.. we have got to stop half-azzing the QB spot.

yebat' Putin
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Sign Kyle orton or Jason Campbell, and draft Blackmon/Richardson or trade down and grab K Wright then Tannehill with 1b. Upgrade with future.

Or, sign Flynn and draft Clayborn/Richardson/Kalil with 1a and Kendell Wright with 1b. Sign Bowe. Resign Hillis. BOOM! O-FFENSE!

If you have Hillis in the backfield and Bowe as #1, G Little as #2, K Wright as #3, that is DEFINITELY a supporting cast that you can win with. Especially if you sign a serviceable RT in FA and draft Claiborne with 1a. A starting LB or FS in round 2, and our team can legitimately make some noise.

EDIT- Just realized I was in the Tannehill thread. They all mesh together now

Last edited by TI84_Plus; 01/06/12 07:08 PM.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Colt was a bit of a project who needed to sit, Tannehill is a project that should sit.. I just don't want to get into this situation where we keep drafting projects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but can't afford them the time to sit...

I think that the Browns FO hasn't given up on Colt and that they may take a step back with him. I can see them looking to sign a veteran FA QB (one with actual NFL experience) that doesn't need a cane that fits the scheme and who won't be prone to injury. Maybe someone like Chris Redman, just so that McCoy can get the year holding the clipboard that he was supposed to get but never did.

Frankly, I think the Browns should simply release Seneca Wallace, but I don't think that's what they'll do. I think that Holmgren is comfy with him on the team and will keep him around.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

He was a WR.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273654/ryan-tannehill

Tannehill arrived in College Station as one of the top dual-threat quarterback prospects in the nation, but showed an exceptional team-first attitude by switching to receiver after losing the pre-season quarterback battle to Jerrod Johnson as a redshirt freshman in 2008. When Johnson struggled early in the 2010 season due to injury, however, Tannehill stepped into the fire and earned great respect from all of college football--and NFL scouts--by leading the team to six consecutive victories and a bowl berth, completing 65 percent of his passes for 1,638 yards and 13 touchdowns against six interceptions.

It's not as though his two seasons as primarily a receiver for the Aggues were unsuccessful. He caught 59 passes for 844 yards and five scores in that 2008 season, earning the team's offensive MVP award as well as Freshman All-American honors. Tannehill led the team for the second straight year in receiving in 2009 (46-609-4), receiving work at quarterback in three games (completing four of eight passes for 60 yards).

I meant converted him to WR from being a QB in HS

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Colt was a bit of a project who needed to sit, Tannehill is a project that should sit..

Tannehill isn't this big project QB some of you guys are making him out to be and he should not be sitting. He needs reps. He needs to play and learn as he goes. The only way I would sit him is if he goes to a different offensive scheme and then he has to learn that as well.

Colt never ran a pro system. Tannehill runs this system. They run a little more out of the gun than we do but thats about the only difference besides they run it better. Look Tannehill makes throws Colt can't dream of making. Tannehill makes throws Colt struggles with look like nerf football.

Mourgrym #650254 01/07/12 06:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I like the guy.

If we decide he is the guy we like, I don't think he lasts to our pick at 1B, and really don't think we would need to take him at 1A.

We might need to trade down or up to get him.

If we could trade down even 1 spot and pick up a 3rd round pick I would take him at #5.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #650255 01/07/12 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he will be one of those that just lights up the senior bowl and his stock will soar. It could really soar if Mike Sherman gets the Miami job, then you have Shannahan who loves big armed QBs with mobility and then you have Seattle running the WCO as well. 3 top 10 teams running the WCO and needing a QB and 1 more not far behind.

BTW wonder if Pat Shurmur will be coaching the senior bowl? Rams wont have a staff in place and the Colts might not.

Mourgrym #650256 01/10/12 05:16 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Word on the street is that Tannehill suffered a "significant foot injury" today, which will keep him out of the senior bowl, and possibly affect the Combine - will look for sources.

~Lyuokdea
Mourgrym #650257 01/10/12 07:48 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
at first i was thinking no way that shurmur gets a sniff of that game now its announced its washington and the Vickings.

Link

Also heard the same thing major injury practicing.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

at first i was thinking no way that shurmur gets a sniff of that game now its announced its washington and the Vickings.

Link

My understanding of what the NFL, or Senior Bowl people do, is start at the top of the draft and ask teams if they want to coach it. So they asked Indy (who has HC uncertainty) then STL, which fired their HC so probably skipped them, then Minn (who accepted), the Browns (we turned it down - only a guess here), then TB (no head coach), and finally Washington accepted as the 2nd team.

I cannot say 100% that this is how it went, but I remember reading somewhere (at sometime) something like this is the process.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
BatDawg #650259 01/10/12 09:07 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
that probably is true but I did find this

How are coaching staffs determined?

Coaching staffs for the contest are determined by the NFL office.

Link

So the NFL said no way in heck are we letting Shurmur and his offensive offense coach this game

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

The injury is being described as "a significant foot injury." Apparently, he suffered it while working out. The guys is obviously made of glass. I want no part of him.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Well, I actually went to Texas A&M for undergrad and graduated in 2007, so I have been watching A&M football since 2003. When Tannehill stepped in as QB mid-season of 2010, he was on fire for 6 games, and then came crashing down against LSU giving up some turnovers and screwing up a lot of passes. From there, that has become the norm with him in 2011. He looked worse this year than he did in the 7 games he started in 2010, but then again the entire football team was one disaster after another all season, so it's difficult to put it all on Tannehill. He certainly did well against the lesser opponents, but failed to get the job done in games that mattered and often disappeared in the 2nd half.

The A&M run game was consistently awesome each week even after Christine Michael went down for the year, and yet Tannehill still struggled to make good decisions. When asked to come back late in games, Tannehill tended to make a lot of bad mistakes. He usually picked the most inopportune times to throw INTs, which may have been due to pressure from the defense and them expecting the pass, but it was still his decision to throw the ball.

In any case, I really don't believe that he will be any better than a Jake Locker or a Christian Ponder, and that he belongs in the 3rd round or later. He doesn't have exceptional arm strength, accuracy or mobility. He's an above average QB, but his great size is the only reason he is ahead of other QB prospects in the draft rankings. If he's there in the early third, sure take him, if not, don't worry about it, you're not missing on the next Elway.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for you insight !

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Ryan Tannehill

Link Copied to Clipboard