Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dave #650343 02/16/12 05:25 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Damn...That tells me more than half of Browns Fans are IDIOTS...lol...

Go Browns!!!
Dave #650344 02/16/12 05:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Well that's actually encouraging to see.

yebat' Putin
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't think it tells us much. Most people would want Colt to start if we draft a rookie.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #650346 02/16/12 06:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think it tells us much. Most people would want Colt to start if we draft a rookie.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

people are eventually going to turn on McCoy

They haven't already?

Actually, if you just look here on these boards, there is just a small but loud contingent that has turned thier back on McCoy.

There is a second group of Vocal Supporters that believe McCoy is the answer.

There is a third Group of folks that are unsure but want to find out and want to see him play for another year.

I fall into the last group.

But that's on here. I suspect that the mix is probably about the same on the Browns official board.

If you look at the media, most are saying that McCoy needs replaced. Very few supporters in the media. Almost none feel he needs more time and give any credence to the shortened prep time last years lock out caused.

I don't have numbers or percentages.. don't care to work that hard to find them.

But, in a very unscientific straw poll, I've been asking anyone and everyone that I meet what they think..

I've not met one person that thinks we should draft a QB high. it's frighteningly overwhelming in support of McCoy. Way more than I ever thought possible given our record last year.

Hell, even my new neighbor (just moved here from Texas) tells me that in Texas, McCoy walks on water and gargles Peanut butter.. he's very much loved. which by the way is the exact opposite of what some on here have said. He did say to me that folks up here need to just give him time and some weapons and he'll be fine. FWIW...

I don't know that's true.. it's just one guys opinion..

So, really, only on here and in the media has anyone truely seemed to turn thier backs on McCoy. (and probably on the main site board but I don't go there anymore so I don't know for sure,, just guessing)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Damn...That tells me more than half of Browns Fans are IDIOTS...lol...

Way more than half of EVERY sports team's fans are idiots or homers...this shouldn't be news

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Hell, even my new neighbor (just moved here from Texas) tells me that in Texas, McCoy walks on water

he did follow in the footsteps of VY and actually out-did him in almost every measure except actually winning the nat'l championship game (but, people here still claim they would have won if he didn't get hurt)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't see Tannehill being there is the 2nd round. I see someone falling in love with his measurables, and trading up to get him. How high is the only question to me ..... unless he totally bombs at his workout, which I don't expect.

Let me start off by saying that I am NOT a Tannehill fan. But I think some team in need of a Qb will move up and that he most likely goes top 10, at worst top 15. JMO

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm ok with Tannehill too but not on a trade up from 22....that will cost as much as those 2 spots for RG3...and I'd rather have RG3 then

That is why is why I like trading back out of #4. Drop down 5-6 positions, select Tannehill, and get a 2nd or 3rd rounder depending how far down we go.

Get a starting QB and a starting guard in one move.

Winner in my book.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #650352 02/16/12 09:20 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the question will be can you trade down at all and still get Tannehill with Redskins, Phins, Seahawks and Cowboys spread from 6-14. I didnt think he would be able to work out before the draft with the screw in his foot but considering he is already out of the boot, he will work out and will probably wow. If he is worth anything he will wow at his proday lol.

I thought we could trade down and get him or stay at 22 and get him with no workout but that has changed.

jfanent #650353 02/16/12 09:46 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I want them to draft a veteran.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Weeden is the right age!

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #650355 02/16/12 09:53 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Weeden is the right age!

Yeah, just an older virg...er, rookie.

Mourgrym #650356 02/17/12 07:31 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think the question will be can you trade down at all and still get Tannehill with Redskins, Phins, Seahawks and Cowboys spread from 6-14. I didnt think he would be able to work out before the draft with the screw in his foot but considering he is already out of the boot, he will work out and will probably wow. If he is worth anything he will wow at his proday lol.

I thought we could trade down and get him or stay at 22 and get him with no workout but that has changed.

No doubt a good point. You're right, he might get taken at #6 by the Skins. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out. It seems like this years draft has more plots then most other years. Maybe you're right. Maybe we should "allow" the Skins to outbid us and just keep our pick at #22 and take Tannehill at #4.

I wonder if we would then need to worry about Miami or some of the others talking to Minnesota?? I wouldn't want to give up a 2nd rounder to move up 1 slot for Tannehill.

I'll tell you what. Most years I am pretty set on what I would like to see, but this year is way different. As you know I have been on Tannehill early just as you, but then when people start talking about Griffin I find myself leaning that way, then another day I entertain the merits to signing Flynn. About the only thing I am not high on is pinning the teams hopes to Colt. That's just not going to work IMO.

We are in a position where we have a legit shot at a blue chip QB prospect, and when you have that chance, you need to pull the trigger. As was illustrated in the article you posted, teams drafting at the top of the draft usually need a QB while teams drafting at the bottom of the draft usually have a good QB. I think that is the stat everybody needs to focus on.

Now it's just determining which route we want to take.

Now I am just rambling out a thought...to me the safest route to take is to sign Flynn and keep our picks to build around him. Flynn may not have the ceiling a Griffin or Tannehill has, but with what he has shown in his limited exposure, he tells me he isn't going to be a flat out bust.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #650357 02/17/12 07:51 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ain't happenin' Peen...There's no way we r taking a QB like Tannehill at 4...

Go Browns!!!
Ballpeen #650358 02/17/12 09:58 AM
Legend
Legend
Peen, I don't think we should worry about Miami trading ahead of us for Tannehill, even if he's the guy we want. I think in that case we should stay out of the Flynn bidding and let Miami take him at a decent rate. It will be very expensive resource-wise for them to move up to 3, and if signing Flynn ahead of the draft is not too expensive for them, then it seems natural they would sign him before the draft.

I'm not advocating drafting Tannehill at all, especially at #4, but if HHS decided that was the route they wanted to go, then I would stay out of the Flynn bidding.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with that. There is no real reason to bid on Flynn if we aren't 100% interested and determined to get him.

I am not real excited about Tannehill at 4 myself. It's why somewhere on these pages I said a trade down would be ideal....then Mour had to stir the muck by asking would Tannehill be available if we dropped to say #12 in the draft...that got me thinking, and I am starting to think he won't be there.

Of course I could be wrong here, but deep down I just feel we need a better QB.

Trading up?? Trading down?? Standing pat?? LOl...I'll be glad when this is all over. As stated before, even if I am totally off base, I usually have a pretty defined opinion on how or who the Browns should draft. This year??? Man, it can change hourly, mostly depending on who I talked to last.

I know how we should draft, or maybe more on point, what we should target since we don't have to use the draft to go for a QB, it's just the who that has me a bit flustered.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #650360 02/17/12 10:30 AM
Legend
Legend
We'll all know a lot better what possibilities are realistic by April.

Ballpeen #650361 02/17/12 10:33 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think you're correct when you say that the "ideal" scenario would be to sign Flynn and use our picks to help surround him with some talent.

But this ignores two things, that although not set in stone certainly seem reasonable assumptions, those being that Flynn is more likely to sign with his old OC who is now the HC in Miami and that our FO may very well feel upgrading the QB can wait one more year while we restock other positions.

Also, while our ownership has never seemed to mind paying our former Head Coaches long after they are gone I don't know that they've been willing to overpay (which they very probably will have to do) to get the big name FAs that WE covet.

Honestly, I see the FO staying put at 4 and 22 and taking what comes to us unless somebody wows them with a trade down offer that is too good to turn down. Even then I doubt seriously they would entertain moving out of the top 10. I also don't see us moving up, period. (of course, this all goes out the window if the Colts somehow go brain dead and start looking to use Luck to get more picks - something that I think even Jim Irsay isn't dumb enough to do.

It should be an interesting 1st and 2nd round, that's for sure.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

We'll all know a lot better what possibilities are realistic by April.

No doubt it will start to clear. By then teams will have made moves in the FA ranks and the prospects will have gone through the drills.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's really tough to say what Miami will do, but between their new coach and their new OC, you have to think they're targeting either Tannehill or Flynn. i don't think they want to give up what it would take to go get RGIII when they have so much familiarity with those other two guys.

And if they still did want RGIII, that would tell me to stay far, far away from Flynn and Tannehill.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

And if they still did want RGIII, that would tell me to stay far, far away from Flynn and Tannehill.

It would definitely make me stop and think twice (or more) on Flynn.

At this point their opinion on Tannehill is really no more valid than anyone else's, IMO.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

It's really tough to say what Miami will do, but between their new coach and their new OC, you have to think they're targeting either Tannehill or Flynn.

and don't forget their owner who likes the splashiest moves (so perhaps Peyton).

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

At this point their opinion on Tannehill is really no more valid than anyone else's, IMO.

why would Sherman working with Tannehill his entire college career and knowing his work ethic, abilities, and flaws as well as anyone possibly could make it not any more valid? absolute? no. but they should have the best grasp of anyone.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

why would Sherman working with Tannehill his entire college career and knowing his work ethic, abilities, and flaws as well as anyone possibly could make it not any more valid? absolute? no. but they should have the best grasp of anyone.

As may have been the case with Otto, I didn't even think of that....another reason why Tannehill may not be there if we trade down.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sherman is in Miami? I guess I must have slept the day that happened.

While that would give me pause if they passed on Tannehill (as well as Flynn) I still would give more weight to them passing on Flynn as opposed to passing on the college kid.

I'm just glad it's not me making these decisions. I have trouble deciding between a sausage biscuit and a sausage McMuffin at Mickey D's......

Legend
Legend

N
Legend
Legend
N
man, i had the same problem until they created those mcgriddles

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm just glad it's not me making these decisions. I have trouble deciding between a sausage biscuit and a sausage McMuffin at Mickey D's......

Come on now.. McGriddle all the way!

I agree though with you - I keep changing my mind with what I want to happen... and really it should be really interesting because there is so much that could happen between free agency and trades.... we'll have to see...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #650372 02/17/12 01:37 PM
Legend
Legend
I love McGriddles. They are just about the perfect breakfast.

Of course, McDonalds biscuits, when they are fresh, are the bomb too.

I usually can pick though. I'm a pretty decisive person. I'm that way with my QBs too.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
So Browns, if they don't get Flynn, don't get Griffeth (Griffin?) don't get Luck, don't get T
annehill, then what?

Go after Wheeden, or Foles, I don't want Foles, I don' t know why, he just doesn't look the part. Hopefully the Redskins fall in love with RG3, he is there at 4, the Browns trade down 2 spots to 6 and get #39 ish , then get Tannehill at 6, or just take RG3 at 4 and the Redskins lose out.
Don't even pretend they sign Cousins, that would be stuck on stupid.

Whatever happened to Landry Jones, he went back to school.

If the Browns sign Matt Flynn, even if hes successful will he want to stay in Cle, more than 2 years? Flynn might be the best thrower.
If they can't get anybody else, at least try for Kyle Orton, Kyle Orton could beat out Colt McCoy, I'm confident of that. Well at least for half a season anyway.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
^^^^This^^^^

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

If the Browns sign Matt Flynn, even if hes successful will he want to stay in Cle, more than 2 years?

man, you write some funny stuff, but this might be your best comedic work yet.

so, Flynn is going to turn down overtures from Washington, Miami, Seattle, etc. and come to Cleveland. But, then he's going to want to leave in 2 years (so apparently he's going to only sign a 2 year deal with us so he has that option?)

man, that's hilarious. thanks.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If it was me .... I'd probably look at Weeden in the 3rd/4th round and hope that he turns into a home run if McCoy struggles again next year.

I am not at all sold on Flynn. I am wary as can be about an extremely limited guy coming out of college suddenly becoming a star player ...... basically in 2 appearances in 4 years time.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dave #650377 02/17/12 11:55 PM
Legend
Legend

Sometimes I picture him balancing on a unicycle, spinning a plate on the edge of a stick, and posting at the same time.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

If it was me .... I'd probably look at Weeden in the 3rd/4th round and hope that he turns into a home run if McCoy struggles again next year.

I am not at all sold on Flynn. I am wary as can be about an extremely limited guy coming out of college suddenly becoming a star player ...... basically in 2 appearances in 4 years time.

and working with the same team of coaches (Clements and Philbin) who re-worked Rodgers release and tutored him into the QB he is today.

sorry, he's more proven than RGIII and will definitely give better immediate results.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

and working with the same team of coaches (Clements and Philbin) who re-worked Rodgers release and tutored him into the QB he is today.

sorry, he's more proven than RGIII and will definitely give better immediate results.

However. Flynn was a limited QB coming out of college. He was also horribly inexperienced. This guy was a 7th round pick for a lot of reasons.

He played .... what .... 11 or 12 games in college? He's now also added 2 games as a pro. That's not the guy I want to invest $30 million + guaranteed into personally. The guy has no track record at all. Could he become a great QB? Sure, anything is possible. Is it likely? That's where I have major, heavy duty questions.

Hell, Brian Hoyer in New England has spent a couple of years with the staff that helped develop Tom Brady. Hoyer is an RFA this year. His biggest issues coming out of college were mental. Should teams give him a monster deal too?

N
Legend
Legend
N
it's likely $20mil guaranteed on a 5yr $50mil deal. possibly less.

and, no Brian Hoyer hasn't shown what Flynn has shown in the NFL, he wasn't highly thought of in NE (see drafting Ryan Mallett).

it's possible Flynn busts, which is why you put an opt-out after 2 years (can even draft his replacement in '13 if you want and have him sit/learn for a year). all the while building the team.

to me, it's the best of both worlds. get a new QB with a possibility to take the reigns while also building the overall team. where's the downside?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The main talked about/available QBs this off-season will be..

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tennehill
Matt Flynn
Peyton Manning

And the teams that are in need of a QB...

Indy
Washington
Cleveland (IMO)
Seattle (T-Jax? Please..)
Miami

5 Qbs, 5 Teams, We already have a who goes where thread going...

I just think the destination of Flynn is basically the key to all of it...

Luck is going to Indy, and RG3 is going top 4 to someone, Basically whoever loses out on the Manning/Flynn sweepstakes...

Part of me knows the risk involved with Flynn, another part thinks he's the real deal..

Then there's this other part, that just wants us to sign him to put all this Draft/QB talk to bed... and up the door for us to trade down...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #650382 02/18/12 01:39 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The main talked about/available QBs this off-season will be..

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tennehill
Matt Flynn
Peyton Manning

And the teams that are in need of a QB...

Indy
Washington
Cleveland (IMO)
Seattle (T-Jax? Please..)
Miami

5 Qbs, 5 Teams, We already have a who goes where thread going...

I just think the destination of Flynn is basically the key to all of it...

Luck is going to Indy, and RG3 is going top 4 to someone, Basically whoever loses out on the Manning/Flynn sweepstakes...

Part of me knows the risk involved with Flynn, another part thinks he's the real deal..

Then there's this other part, that just wants us to sign him to put all this Draft/QB talk to bed... and up the door for us to trade down...

That's plausible, but I don't know if Manning would be willing to go to a team that's rebuilding and really he would only be a short term solution for any team, so I'm thinking if he is good to play, then he will probably limit his options to playoff caliber teams.

Seattle at #12 is in the worst position to get one of the top 3 QB's in the Draft.
Not only would they have to give up more picks to move up in the Draft, but it's going to be hard to find a team willing to drop out of the top 10.
With this thought in mind I think that
they will be a big player for Matt Flynn and probably their best option for a new starting QB next season.

I agree that Flynn's destination will have an effect on the Draft and I think that one of the 5 teams your listing could be left out at least for the top prospects.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Ryan Tannehill

Link Copied to Clipboard