Next Thread
Print Thread
#650677 01/06/12 03:15 PM
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
Just wanted to recognize Joe Thomas for being selected as an all pro this year....
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/743254...-pro-selections

NEW YORK -- Lions receiver Calvin Johnson and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen were the leading vote getters for The Associated Press 2011 NFL All-Pro Team, each falling one vote short of being unanimous choices.

Aaron Rodgers was the quarterback for the first time, easily beating New Orleans' Drew Brees, 47½ to 2½. Rodgers led Green Bay to a league-best 15-1 record, maintaining the brilliance he showed in taking the Packers to the Super Bowl title last February.

Johnson and Allen each received 49 votes Friday from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the NFL. It's the fourth All-Pro team for Allen, who led the league with 22 sacks, one-half short of the record. Johnson makes it for the first time after hauling in 96 catches for a 17.5-yard average and scoring 16 touchdowns.

"That's sweet," Johnson said. "That's one of the best honors you can have other than being a Super Bowl champion. To be an All-Pro is a tremendous honor."

Allen liked how adding to his All-Pro spots in 2007 through 2009 reflects on his career.

"The All-Pro Team to me is one of the all-time accomplishments," Allen said. "Pro Bowls are nice, but guys get voted in longer than they should and guys who deserve to go don't always get to. It's the whole league. It's not just an AFC and NFC thing. So to me this is the honor I hold the highest. It's something to put on the resume and tell the grandkids about."

One rookie made the squad: Arizona's Patrick Peterson was selected as the kick returner. Peterson tied an NFL mark when he ran back four punts for touchdowns, including a 99-yarder in overtime to beat the Rams.

"It's special to be the only rookie on the list and a nice way to end my first NFL season," said Peterson, a cornerback.

Another cornerback, Darrelle Revis of the Jets, was behind Johnson and Allen with 48 selections. Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs got 47.

One oddity: Both first-team guards, Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans, were from the Saints. That has not occurred since 1953, with Detroit's Lou Creekmur and Dick Stanfel.

In the All-Pro backfield joining Rodgers, whose quarterback rating of 122.5 broke Peyton Manning's single-season mark, were Maurice Jones-Drew of Jacksonville, LeSean McCoy of Philadelphia, and fullback Vonta Leach of Baltimore.

It's the first All-Pro selections for Jones-Drew, the league's rushing leader with 1,606 yards, and McCoy. Leach made it last year with Houston.

"It is a we thing, not a me thing," Jones-Drew said, praising his teammates on offense and his coaches. "The guys who don't get the glory and keep blocking all day, and the coaches who don't get enough credit, it's for them."

McCoy scored 20 touchdowns, 17 rushing, and was the brightest spot in a down year for the hyped Eagles. Yet ...

"There are so many things I can do better," he said. "I look at the numbers and see so many plays I left on the field, so many yards. I can perfect my game a lot more."

Record-setter Rob Gronkowski was the tight end. The Patriot set the single-season mark at his position with 1,327 yards receiving. Teammate Wes Welker (league-high 122 catches) was the other receiver.

Pittsburgh's Maurkice Pouncey was the center, with Philadelphia's Jason Peters and Cleveland's Joe Thomas at tackle .

Joining Allen on the defensive line were ends Jason Pierre-Paul of the Giants, and tackles Haloti Ngata of the Ravens and Justin Smith of the 49ers -- who also placed third at DE; the 49ers used him at both spots.

The linebackers were Suggs and DeMarcus Ware of Dallas on the outside, Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman of the 49ers and Derrick Johnson of the Chiefs on the inside. Bowman and Johnson tied with 16 votes, half of Willis' total.

Revis and Charles Woodson of the Packers were the cornerbacks, with Troy Polamalu of the Steelers and Eric Weddle of the Chargers at safety.

Both kickers were 49ers: placekicker David Akers and punter Andy Lee.

Repeaters from 2010 were Polamalu, Revis, Willis, Ngata, Evans, Thomas and Leach.

In addition to Johnson, Jones-Drew, McCoy and Peterson, other first-timers were Gronkowski, Nicks, Peters, Pouncey, Pierre-Paul, Smith, Suggs, Bowman, Johnson and Weddle.

The 49ers led the All-Pro Team with five players, a testament to the turnaround in San Francisco under new coach Jim Harbaugh. Baltimore was next with three players. The Ravens are coached by Jim Harbaugh's brother, John, whose team beat the 49ers on Thanksgiving night.

Legend
Legend
Sweet!

Congrats, Joe!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
5x PB
3x FT AP
1x 2T AP

Pretty sure this guy is going to the HOF.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

5x PB
3x FT AP
1x 2T AP

Pretty sure this guy is going to the HOF.

Hopefully with a ring....

from the Browns.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's a bum!

I hope that people know what an incredible luxury it is to have an All-Pro left tackle. It makes everything in the passing game much much easier.

Which puts our passing game's performance (not getting into QBs, WRs et al) all the more putrid.

Having JT means we don't have to keep a back in to chip. We don't have to slide protection. We don't have to do myriad things to prevent our QB from getting hit from the blindside.

I hope we get this thing turned around fast enough to have Thomas still in his prime blocking there.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Great honor for Joe.

Joe has been in the league 5 years and has been in 27 winning football games. Pitiful.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Great honor for Joe.

Joe has been in the league 5 years and has been in 27 winning football games. Pitiful.

Yeah and 10 of them were in his rookie year. It's pretty amazing that he decided to hang around another 7 years. If I were him I would've got out of here as soon as I could've.

Thanks Joe.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Great honor for Joe.

Yeah and 10 of them were in his rookie year. It's pretty amazing that he decided to hang around another 7 years. If I were him I would've got out of here as soon as I could've.

Thanks Joe.

He's destined for the ring of honor, I'm just afraid that will be the only ring he ever gets.

#GMSTRONG
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

If I were him I would've got out of here as soon as I could've.

I wouldn't want any player on this team with your attitude.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Great honor for Joe.

Thanks Joe.

that's what makes Joe who he is and You who you are....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
I
1st String
1st String
I
Probibly staying because Ohio has good deer hunting

Ruining QB's since 1999.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Peter King gave DQ his Comeback player of the Year vote. Good to see that he was recognized:

Quote:

Comeback: D'Qwell Jackson, LB, Cleveland. Missed the last 26 games with two separate pectoral tears. This year, led the AFC in tackles.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...l#ixzz1iz9fffK3

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

didn know where to put this...the PFF All Pro Team, no Brown made it

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/05/2011-pff-all-pro-team/

this one hurts:

4-3 Defensive Tackles: Geno Atkins, Cincinnati Bengals & Brodrick Bunkley, Denver Broncos

Second Team: Richard Seymour, Oakland Raiders & Alan Branch, Seattle Seahawks

This selection just felt right for everyone and provided a moment of harmony for all analysts. Atkins, the most productive pass rushing defensive tackle, is partnered by Bunkley, the DT who has the highest percentage of stops in the run game relative to the amount of snaps he played. He may not have a huge rep but what Bunkley did to Nick Mangold may go down as one of the best individual displays of the season. Branch had the kind of year no one saw coming as he was a continual nuissant for the Seahawks, even outplaying Brandon Mebane. That meant the last spot came down to Seymour and Kevin Williams, and we managed to look past the penalties of Seymour to recognize the huge impact he made on the field.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Great honor for Joe.

I can't believe we have won that many games. It makes sense if you think about average wins per year but without doing the math I don't feel like we have won 27 games in 5 years.

Legend
Legend
Hats off and deafening applause for the man! Congrats, Joe. I am thinking real HOF potential some day. One of the very good things about the Browns is JT. Clone him now!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He's a bum!

I hope that people know what an incredible luxury it is to have an All-Pro left tackle. It makes everything in the passing game much much easier.

Which puts our passing game's performance (not getting into QBs, WRs et al) all the more putrid.

Having JT means we don't have to keep a back in to chip. We don't have to slide protection. We don't have to do myriad things to prevent our QB from getting hit from the blindside.

I hope we get this thing turned around fast enough to have Thomas still in his prime blocking there.

Not only all of that but he's stayed healthy too. Now, I'm going to knock on every piece of wood I can find.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
O
2nd String
2nd String
O
"Hopefully with a ring"

Are you for real or what?

I'm sure we will get the big one sooner than you think..........
Maybe I'm the one who needs help.........just kidding...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Congrats Joe Thomas All Pro

Link Copied to Clipboard