Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/astory/_/id/7461549/nfl-consider-rule-coach-moves-sources-say

There was no rule preventing Josh McDaniels from going from the St. Louis Rams to the New England Patriots in a matter of days this postseason, but there soon could be.

The NFL will look at that situation in the offseason and determine whether there needs to be a rule blocking coaches from making same-season moves from one franchise to another, league sources told ESPN Saturday.

A few clubs lodged complaints about how McDaniels, the offensive coordinator in St. Louis, was able to go from the last-place Rams to the first-place Patriots staff in a matter of days.

The NFL has discussed the issue and will consider implementing a rule that would prevent in-season coaching moves like the one McDaniels made.

The Patriots announced Jan. 8 that McDaniels had been hired as an offensive assistant coach for the rest of this season, with a deal in place to make him the team's offensive coordinator for the 2012 season.

McDaniels will replace Bill O'Brien, the new head coach at Penn State. O'Brien will work as the Patriots' offensive coordinator for the remainder of this season.

-------------------

I have to admit I thought it was pretty strange that McDaniels would get to join up with a playoff team... don't know if it hurts/helps them... but I found it weird...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Why should it matter?

Team A wants a coach, they offer him a contract and he accepts. What is the reasoning to stop that?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure it would have ever come up had it not involved the former HC of the team that the Pats have to play today. But still, he's a year removed from Denver so even that I question..

Then again, I wonder how much if the displeasure was because Belichick is involved in some manner..

When it comes to Belichick, who knows.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Why should it matter?

Team A wants a coach, they offer him a contract and he accepts. What is the reasoning to stop that?

Pretty Stupid if you ask me. Next thing you know the NFL will like to tell you what type of Underwear you can wear on Sunday's. So you can get fired before the new season begins and at any time during the season, but they are going to tell an American worker when they can or can't take a job or a Company when they can offer a job? If he is unemployed then he should be able to take a job anywhere. Maybe teams will get smart and get their overpaid Lawyers to put stipulations into a contract such as working for another team during the same season. It would have a bearing on if I accepted a job to begin with. Players can go play for different teams during the year so it should be no different. JMO

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Plus it being the playoffs - just seems really late in the game to be adding a coach... especially one that is only a year removed from the team you're playing.

I also was wondering why Daniels went there how affective he could be as a O-Cordinator.... I haven't read enough to know if he has the same scheme as NE had... who knows

I know there are deadlines on when you can sign a player, I wouldn't be opposed to a deadline on higher a coach.

Dunno if it'll happen...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You do know that he was the Patriots OC before he went to denver as HC right? he was with the pats for a number of years. if memory serves me correctly, he worked under charlie weis when he was the OC in NE.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

You do know that he was the Patriots OC before he went to denver as HC right? he was with the pats for a number of years. if memory serves me correctly, he worked under charlie weis when he was the OC in NE.

Yeah I know - that's why I figured he knew the system because I'm guessing it didn't change much when he left... but he's been gone for what? 3 years? so it could have changed some... I dunno - like I said... it was more just curiosity without looking more into it

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
ya know, I went back and read your post and I guess I didn't read it as if you knew he was there..sorry bout that

Anyway, it's not so much his offense as it is the Patriots offense. And that means Charlie Weis...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/astory/_/id/7461549/nfl-consider-rule-coach-moves-sources-say

There was no rule preventing Josh McDaniels from going from the St. Louis Rams to the New England Patriots in a matter of days this postseason, but there soon could be.

The NFL will look at that situation in the offseason and determine whether there needs to be a rule blocking coaches from making same-season moves from one franchise to another, league sources told ESPN Saturday.

A few clubs lodged complaints about how McDaniels, the offensive coordinator in St. Louis, was able to go from the last-place Rams to the first-place Patriots staff in a matter of days.

The NFL has discussed the issue and will consider implementing a rule that would prevent in-season coaching moves like the one McDaniels made.

The Patriots announced Jan. 8 that McDaniels had been hired as an offensive assistant coach for the rest of this season, with a deal in place to make him the team's offensive coordinator for the 2012 season.

McDaniels will replace Bill O'Brien, the new head coach at Penn State. O'Brien will work as the Patriots' offensive coordinator for the remainder of this season.

-------------------

I have to admit I thought it was pretty strange that McDaniels would get to join up with a playoff team... don't know if it hurts/helps them... but I found it weird...

Since belichek was busted for spying some years back he found a novel approach before the Denver playoff game. yet since they trounced the Donks just weeks before Daniels was hardly any difference maker.

Legend
Legend
Frankly, if a coach has been let go, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be able to immediately join another team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the broncos (donks, right?) had a completely different offense under mcdaniels. they ran the read option most of the time this season. i am sure mcdaniels was of no help, except that he used the be o-coordinator for new england before bill o brian, and o brian just left to go coach penn state.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Frankly, if a coach has been let go, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be able to immediately join another team.

Mostly I agree, but part of me thinks it would be good to have a rule if you are bringing in a person for the playoffs.

So to give everyone a equal chance at talking to a released coach, it probably is a good idea to not allow terminated coaches to join another team in the same season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
However, if i work for a company and they fire me, I don't have to wait till the next fiscal year, for example, to join them. Once I am fired, as long as I have no contractual clauses forbidding me from joining a competitor, then I am free to do so immediately if I, and they, choose.

I don't care if an assistant only interviews in one place. What difference does that make? It's not a mandated procedure anyway. Any coach can interview with one team, or be hired on 1st handshake for that matter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand all of that and why I said I basically agree...

My feeling is if the guy is let go he gets paid his contract...which usually runs draft to draft.

Time to go.....wife is home with my dinner!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL to consider rule change on coaches moving around league

Link Copied to Clipboard