Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
I tried both Portman and Brown and got a message saying that they were down.

This is the message:

Sorry, the web page you have requested is experiencing technical difficulties. The Webmaster has been alerted.
You will be automatically redirected to the www.senate.gov home page after 10 seconds.

If this problem persists, please contact the Office of the Secretary Webmaster at webmaster@sec.senate.gov.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:

We all know that no politician does anything without being prodded and poked or paid (in the form of donations to a campaign or similar)

So, who is behind this. Who's pushing politicians to do this..

Find that out and you may get a sense of why people sponsor bills like this.




There is a huge list ofsupporters

and a huge list of protesters.

I think it comical that the NFL is on the list of supporters yet they run multiple sites themselves for the dedicated purpose of piracy.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Quote:



I think it comical that the NFL is on the list of supporters yet they run multiple sites themselves for the dedicated purpose of piracy.




I'm confused?


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,960
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,960
breaking news?


President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:

Quote:



I think it comical that the NFL is on the list of supporters yet they run multiple sites themselves for the dedicated purpose of piracy.




I'm confused?




Have you been to the official Cleveland Browns Message Board? Do you know how they feel about threads without external content? They have knowingly created and hosted a site where the administrators are encouraging users to post external content to which they do not have copyright permissions. That message board is just as much a criminal enterprise as Ninja Video (article) . A site whose admins have recently been prosecuted and sentenced to jail time. The only difference is the nature of the copyrighted material, articles vs videos. Shouldn't the admins, mods, and employees responsible for the NFL's message boards face similar prosecution?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Have not been over there - i thought you might be referring to NFL Films and other online distribution of their own content, which would not be copyright infringement.

Certainly, one of the humorous ramifications of SOPA is that every large online site is in violation of it somewhere (even dawgtalkers every day, as I posted about a month back - when we copy newspaper articles directly on the site).


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Quote:

Have not been over there - i thought you might be referring to NFL Films and other online distribution of their own content, which would not be copyright infringement.

Certainly, one of the humorous ramifications of SOPA is that every large online site is in violation of it somewhere (even dawgtalkers every day, as I posted about a month back - when we copy newspaper articles directly on the site).




Or, technically, when we discuss the content of the games ........

After all, any other use of the telecast, or any of the picture, descriptions, or accounts of the games are strictly prohibited. ........

So, technically, if you break down a play and post it without expressed, written permission of the Commissioner ..... you have violated their copyright. Congratulations, you are now a criminal. If the NFL wants to make sure that they control all message board content related to their teams, then they simply find one violation on any given board, and have them shut down. If they don't like a particular site having users who criticize the team, same thing. Bloggers could be open to immediate shutdown without any legal standard except "we said so".

Then you get into, as you mentioned, posting articles, or technically even links to online articles, or discussing those articles anywhere except on their home pages .......


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:

Quote:

Have not been over there - i thought you might be referring to NFL Films and other online distribution of their own content, which would not be copyright infringement.

Certainly, one of the humorous ramifications of SOPA is that every large online site is in violation of it somewhere (even dawgtalkers every day, as I posted about a month back - when we copy newspaper articles directly on the site).




Or, technically, when we discuss the content of the games ........

After all, any other use of the telecast, or any of the picture, descriptions, or accounts of the games are strictly prohibited. ........

So, technically, if you break down a play and post it without expressed, written permission of the Commissioner ..... you have violated their copyright. Congratulations, you are now a criminal. If the NFL wants to make sure that they control all message board content related to their teams, then they simply find one violation on any given board, and have them shut down. If they don't like a particular site having users who criticize the team, same thing. Bloggers could be open to immediate shutdown without any legal standard except "we said so".

Then you get into, as you mentioned, posting articles, or technically even links to online articles, or discussing those articles anywhere except on their home pages .......





The NFL's statement on what is prohibited is largely known to be greatly overreaching in terms of what copyright law actually allows them to prohibit.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have not been over there - i thought you might be referring to NFL Films and other online distribution of their own content, which would not be copyright infringement.

Certainly, one of the humorous ramifications of SOPA is that every large online site is in violation of it somewhere (even dawgtalkers every day, as I posted about a month back - when we copy newspaper articles directly on the site).




Or, technically, when we discuss the content of the games ........

After all, any other use of the telecast, or any of the picture, descriptions, or accounts of the games are strictly prohibited. ........

So, technically, if you break down a play and post it without expressed, written permission of the Commissioner ..... you have violated their copyright. Congratulations, you are now a criminal. If the NFL wants to make sure that they control all message board content related to their teams, then they simply find one violation on any given board, and have them shut down. If they don't like a particular site having users who criticize the team, same thing. Bloggers could be open to immediate shutdown without any legal standard except "we said so".

Then you get into, as you mentioned, posting articles, or technically even links to online articles, or discussing those articles anywhere except on their home pages .......





The NFL's statement on what is prohibited is largely known to be greatly overreaching in terms of what copyright law actually allows them to prohibit.




However, under this proposed law, it could be enforced because the NFL could shut down anyone just by their own say so.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,758
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,758
With SOPA being "shelved," keep an eye on H.R. 1981(Protecting Children From Internet Pornographers Act of 2011 ). Sponsored by the same Lamar Smith who sponsored SOPA.

It's wouldn't be hard for them to get SOPA to tag along with this bill.

Bill link.

Last edited by ~TuX~; 01/18/12 10:06 PM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Quote:

With SOPA being "shelved," keep an eye on H.R. 1981(Protecting Children From Internet Pornographers Act of 2011 ). Sponsored by the same Lamar Smith who sponsored SOPA.

It's wouldn't be hard for them to get SOPA to tag along with this bill.

Bill link.




I feel that pretty soon they are just going to lose the last shred of irony they have and create the "Stop Terrorism, Death, Communism, and Rape Act of 2015"

"What - you don't support terrorism, death, communism and rape - do you? You anarchist!"

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 01/18/12 10:21 PM.

"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
For those who don't know the details of this bill - one portion mandates that all ISPs keep logs of:

Quote:


A last-minute rewrite of the bill expands the information that commercial Internet providers are required to store to include customers' names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and temporarily-assigned IP addresses, some committee members suggested. By a 7-16 vote, the panel rejected an amendment that would have clarified that only IP addresses must be stored.
It represents "a data bank of every digital act by every American" that would "let us find out where every single American visited Web sites," said Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California, who led Democratic opposition to the bill.




The information will be available to the government without subpoena (both in the bill, and due to Patriot Act) and there is no qualification that the information must be used to stop child predators, or terrorism, or even crime.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20084939-281/house-panel-approves-broadened-isp-snooping-bill/


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Quote:

Quote:

When is the last time any one here was on wiki?




Not sure if sarcasm?

But probably 150 times a day - there's a reason why it's the 6th most visited website in America (ahead of ebay, twitter, espn.com etc.)




Just like cell phones. If Arch doesn't use it, then it must be stupid!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:


When is the last time any one here was on wiki?




Last night. It was the easiest link to get to a list of previous superbowl teams for a discussion we were having.

And guess what? It was on my cell phone.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Quote:

Quote:


When is the last time any one here was on wiki?




Last night. It was the easiest link to get to a list of previous superbowl teams for a discussion we were having.

And guess what? It was on my cell phone.



Exactly. I wouldn't use Wiki as a reference for a thesis but for looking up simple facts on sports, people, entertainment, historical figures, etc.. it's a fantastic resource.

My son was writing a paper about... can't remember the historical persons name... but I sent him to Wiki, told him to get a bunch of information from that site then use it to refine his searches and verify the information from other sources... it's great.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
D
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
D
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
Quote:

Exactly. I wouldn't use Wiki as a reference for a thesis but for looking up simple facts on sports, people, entertainment, historical figures, etc.. it's a fantastic resource.

My son was writing a paper about... can't remember the historical persons name... but I sent him to Wiki, told him to get a bunch of information from that site then use it to refine his searches and verify the information from other sources... it's great.




Yep, that's it in a nutshell. It's a great starting point to clear up the basics of a topic if you're having trouble. It's generally not meant to be the final stop for all of your questions on a topic. I mean, in any field where your work is knowledge-based, Wikipedia should be your first stop, your launchpad, to tackle your lack of information problem. It's a huge timesaver. Like some people have said in this thread, I use the site 2-3 dozen times per day for topics ranging from finding out who a person is, to what a specific gene does. It's a great resource, and to not use it, or shun it, puts you at a disadvantage to others who do.


There are no sacred cows.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
A
Legend
Offline
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
j/c

While I can take, and enjoy - a good "make fun of Arch" post - I do want to say I am NOT against technology.

I am, however, against being tied to it, so to speak.

And yes, just as I am addicted to this board - that's my problem - others are addicted to their smart phones and being able to get the latest and greatest and most recent. But attempting to justify it seems fairly silly to me - be it this board for me, or the "constantly" in touch, or the "constantly on line" people.

I hear all the time "oh, I need this for my job" stuff.

Look at this thread..........there's one person that says they're on wiki 150 times a day. Seriously?

Then we have the "well, check wiki, then use those sources to get info" people.

Then there's the "I use it 2 or 3 dozen times a day to get the gist of something" person (and actually - THAT I can understand)

I know wiki going dark for a day was for a good cause, but geez, some people act like it was a major deal.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Going dark for a day wasn't an issue. It was what they were going dark for, was the issue (see topic for more info).

None of this stuff is a need. I don't think anyone could define buying movie tickets on their smart phone, ordering a pizza on their iPad or even talking Browns football on their PC as a "need". It's about convenience and how different the world spins with that technology available.

For example, am I a slave to my smart phone if I use text messaging as my main source of communication with my friends and family? Years before, I would have to use the phone at home or my cell to talk....now, we can all talk instantly with great ease about minor to medium topics (are you bringing the potatoes to the pierogi party?).

I use my smart phone more as a mobile PC than I use it for a phone. Heck, I'd venture to say my iPhone is used less for phone calls than anything else that's done on there. From checking the weather, reading this site, ordering a pizza, buying airline tickets, texting my friends, playing chess, reading a book, listening to music or watching a movie. It's all right there. Do I "need" it....no. It's convenient and useful. So I have it.

And Arch, you often use the "you tech people always need to have the latest and greatest and that's why you're a slave to it". Some are and some aren't. I have the old iPhone. It doesn't both me. When my contract comes up and I can get the iPhone 5, I probably will. Why? I can afford it, I can sell my current phone for half the cost of the new one and yes, the new features might make my life a tad bit easier.

So, even if someone is on Wiki 150 to 3 times in a day, what does it matter? Would it make it any less technology obsessive if they were looking at hardcopy of encyclopedias? Information is there to consume, why are we addicted to it just by using it?


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
A
Legend
Offline
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959


Good reply.

As for the potatoes for the party - I didn't get the message - when is it?

I'm not anti the latest and greatest. Just, for me, it ain't all that. And, at it's base - it isn't. It's a convenience that people - well, many people, use as a crutch. JMO.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Quote:

I do want to say I am NOT against technology.

I am, however, against being tied to it, so to speak.



We all get used to having stuff arch.. that's why every generation thinks the next generation is lazy, because they have stuff we didn't have as kids.

Two car families don't always NEED two cars, but when one of them breaks down, it's an inconvenience because you are used to having it

You have guns, do you really NEED them? Is it the primary source of your food? Sure, you may get a deer butchered and eat it but do you really NEED to? Couldn't you just go buy food? Do you NEED them to protect your family? Have you ever had to use one for that purpose? I'm guessing you don't really NEED your guns but if somebody took them, you would miss them.

See, there aren't many man made inventions that you NEED because you can always go back to a generation that lived without it... but once you have them, you begin to rely on them and when they are gone, it causes you inconvenience... some more than others...

Wiki going dark was not a big deal.. though I did find myself clicking on it 3 or 4 times yesterday and then when that pop up came on I said, "Oh crap, I forgot."


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,027
S
Legend
Offline
Legend
S
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,027
there was a way around it, if you typed in whatever you wanted to look up and then as the screen came up, repeatedly hit ESC, it will stay on for you.

Still though, I think they made a decent point. If they really want to make a statement, shut down facebook for a day, see how that goes.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Quote:



Good reply.

As for the potatoes for the party - I didn't get the message - when is it?

I'm not anti the latest and greatest. Just, for me, it ain't all that. And, at it's base - it isn't. It's a convenience that people - well, many people, use as a crutch. JMO.




Thanks....I don't mock you're comments against technology or the need to have it. I think you offer a good reminder to not be too tied to technology. A person might get lost in it and if it were to go away, would you still be able to do things on your own? My 23-yr old niece spent 85% of her vacation with us a few years ago checking her Facebook account for updates....not even realizing, we were her family and we were right there! Stop reading about your friends that aren't here and talk to us that are.

For me, it's been years since used the TV, newspaper or radio for a weather report. If I needed to check it since I lost my phone....I guess I'd have to search the TV for the info or turn on the radio. With it being on my phone, I just open and read it. Ok, maybe not the best example....but you get the idea.

So again, I don't mean any disrespect while I make comments about your stance.....you're the codgy board member when it comes to technology. "Get off my lawn!" <said in a humorous way>


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
A
Legend
Offline
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
Quote:



You have guns, do you really NEED them?





You tell me.
Quote:


Is it the primary source of your food?




It IS the primary source of our meat. $24 hunting license, $19 deer tag, plus a $15 antlerless tag. That's meat for the year. Yes, we occasionally eat pork, chicken..........but I'd say 90% of our meat is deer.
Quote:


Sure, you may get a deer butchered and eat it but do you really NEED to? Couldn't you just go buy food?



The deer we eat............first of all, it's good. Do I NEED to? No. Is it better meat for you than "farm" grown chicken, pork, or beef? Hell yes.
Quote:


Do you NEED them to protect your family? Have you ever had to use one for that purpose? I'm guessing you don't really NEED your guns but if somebody took them, you would miss them.



Guns. Do I need them? No. As long as everyone else obeys the law - NO ONE needs them. Spoke with a deputy not that long ago - here, in Henry County ohio, there are 2 deputies on duty. This particular deputy told me flat out - if you call in the middle of the night, we might be 20 minutes away. Henry co. is about 420 sq. miles. 2 cops on duty. You tell me - do I need guns? Slicing my phone line would be just as easy as slicing your phone line. Do I need guns? You tell me.
Quote:



See, there aren't many man made inventions that you NEED because you can always go back to a generation that lived without it... but once you have them, you begin to rely on them and when they are gone, it causes you inconvenience... some more than others...

Wiki going dark was not a big deal.. though I did find myself clicking on it 3 or 4 times yesterday and then when that pop up came on I said, "Oh crap, I forgot."




Was - IS - wiki necessary?

No.

Convenience? Yes.

My whole point wasn't is it a convenience, or are cell phones a convenience, it was a "big deal - wiki is off line for a day" kind of thing.

Wiki has never put food on my table - my guns have. Wiki has never planted my garden, or watered it, etc.

Wiki being off line for a day? Who, honestly, gives a rip? Plus, they weren't off line.

Now, please excuse me, I'm going to watch the inferior non dunking jr. high girls basketball games.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
A
Legend
Offline
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
Quote:

..you're the codgy board member when it comes to technology. "Get off my lawn!" <said in a humorous way>




Gees, I AM the old codger.

And, if you're doing something useful or fun, you (neighbors) are more than welcome on my yard. I'll join you.

If, however, you are on my yard peering intently into your little phone and ignoring me - I'll ask you to leave.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,489
T
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,489
I decided to put this topic in this thread because it is somewhat similar and is like a protest?

Anonymous strikes back after feds shut down piracy hub Megaupload

By Laurie Segall @CNNMoneyTech January 19, 2012: 7:09 PM ET
megaupload-tweet.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In one of the U.S. government's largest anti-piracy crackdowns ever, federal agents on Thursday arrested the leaders of and shut down Megaupload.com, a popular hub for illegal media downloads.

Hours later, Megaupload's fans turned the table on the feds. "Hacktivist" collective Anonymous said it set its sights on the U.S. Department of Justice and apparently knocked the agency's website offline.

"We are having website problems, but we're not sure what it's from," a DOJ spokeswoman told CNNMoney.

The DOJ website glitches came soon after various Twitter accounts associated with Anonymous took aim at the agency.

Anonymous's favorite weapon for these attacks is what's called a "distributed denial of service" (DDoS) attack, which directs a flood of traffic to a website and temporarily crashes it by overwhelming its servers. It doesn't actually involve any hacking or security breaches.

"One thing is certain: EXPECT US! #Megaupload" read one tweet from AnonOps that went out mid-afternoon.

One hour later, the same account tweeted a victory message: "Tango down! http://universalmusic.com & http://www.justice.gov// #Megaupload"

It was the largest attack ever by Anonymous, according to an Anonymous representative, with 5,635 people using a networking tool called a "low orbit ion cannon." A LOIC is software tool that aims a massive flood of traffic at a targeted site.

Universal Music's website also went down Thursday afternoon. The music company had been locked in a legal battle with Megaupload over a YouTube video that featured many of Universal Music's signed artists promoting Megaupload's site.

The websites of the Recording Industry Association of America and Motion Picture Association of America went down Thursday afternoon as well. On Twitter, AnonOps -- one of the main communications channels for the leaderless Anonymous collective -- took credit for the crashes.

An RIAA spokesman confirmed that the organization's website was intermittently offline. But he cast the attack as a minor hiccup.

"The fact that a couple of sites might have been taken down is really ancillary to the significant news today that the Justice Department brought down one of the world's most notorious file sharing hubs," he said.

A piracy crackdown: The Anonymous attack came soon after the DOJ announced the indictment of seven individuals connected to Megaupload for allegedly operating an "international organized criminal enterprise responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of copyrighted works."

Authorities said the operation had generated more than $175 million in illegal profits through advertising revenue and the sale of premium memberships.

According to the indictment, Megaupload, which launched in 2005, was once the 13th most visited website on the Internet, serving as a hub for distribution of copyrighted television shows, images, computer software and video games.

The site's popular MegaVideo subsidiary was widely known in tech circles for its copious selection of pirated content, including recent movies and episodes of hit TV shows.

Four of those indicted were arrested Thursday in Auckland, New Zealand, at the request of the U.S. Three others remain at large.

The individuals indicted are citizens of New Zealand, Germany, Slovakia and the Netherlands. No U.S. citizens were named. However, Megaupload has servers in Ashburn, Va., and Washington D.C., which prompted the Virginia-based investigation.

To shut down Megaupload, federal authorities executed 20 search warrants in eight countries, seizing 18 domain names and $50 million worth of assets, including servers located in Virginia, Washington, the Netherlands and Canada.

The news comes as lawmakers have turned their attention to anti-piracy legislation. Protests erupted both online and offline this week against two bills currently under consideration in Congress: the House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Senate's Protect IP Act (PIPA).

The bills are aimed at cracking down on copyright infringement by restricting access to sites that host or facilitate the trading of pirated content. But the legislation has created a divide between tech giants, who say the language is too broad, and large media companies, who say they are losing millions each year to rampant online piracy.

-CNN Justice Producer Terry Frieden and CNNMoney staff writer David Goldman contributed to this report. To top of page
First Published: January 19, 2012: 5:27 PM ET

CNN


Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
I guess I'm officially out of touch, I've never heard of the site.


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Megaupload.....never heard of it. Is it really worth attacking a government server over?


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
I just think that the media companies should put damn near everything up for sale.

Hell, if people could watch a game live, for example, for $10 online, I think that this would all but eliminate people watching games online because they can't watch them where they live. Heck, I'd subscribe to the NBA and MLB Roku channels, except that I can't watch the Indians and Cavaliers live. Why would I waste my money if I can't watch my teams?

If I could download a currently released movie for $10, I might do it. I'm not big for going to a theater anymore. However, there is no such option. Thus, I don't go to theaters. I wouldn't download a movie, because I feel that it's wrong to do so. I also wouldn't want to risk my computer as far as viruses go ...... and let's face it, from everything I have seen, the quality is crap. In the end, it's a lot of work and risk to steal crappy stuff.

I would love to have access to a couple of "cable" type channels, but I don't care a bit about the rest. If I could subscribe to a couple of channels for a reasonable price, I would. I'm sure that other people would as well.

I look at how music has evolved with iTunes and such. All these media conglomerates and sports leagues have to do is look at how this worked for the music industry. No solution is perfect, but they are leaving a ton of money on the table while whining about piracy. They could probably cut into most of the "casual" piracy by just selling their stuff to people who want it, and would probably buy it if they could.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
I know I'd be open to buying the rights to watch all the Browns games. But no, I need to have Directv AND pay for all the games I'm not interested in watching.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Exactly, people are telling them they don't like their business model but instead of changing they want to force people back into it. Now I don't agree with stealing stuff, all of my music is legit paid for, same with moves and games but I do see the complaint with media and what they do.

Heck, Time Warner still doesn't have NFL Network. I've called them and complained many times. I had one rep say "Well we don't feel that we should put the network on extended basic cable and force the little old lady to pay an extra $.70 a month when she won't watch it."

I told them I completely agree so go ahead and take Lifetime, Oxygen and WE off my cable bill because myself and other males my age aren't watching those channels.


[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:

Megaupload.....never heard of it. Is it really worth attacking a government server over?




" First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

We all commit copyright infringement. Many of us everyday without even realizing it.

This website does the EXACT same thing that Megaupload.com does. The admins knowingly allow us all to put up copyrighted material and share it with each other.

Part of my own personal philosophy is that I should not expect from others what I do not expect from myself and I do not reasonably to expect me to go through the rest of my life without infringing copyright. If they deserve to go to jail, so do many of us who use this board.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Quote:

Megaupload.....never heard of it. Is it really worth attacking a government server over?




I have never heard of it either.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,744
L
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,744
Quote:

This website does the EXACT same thing that Megaupload.com does. The admins knowingly allow us all to put up copyrighted material and share it with each other.




Yeah this website clearly allows people to download games, movies and tv shows...clearly. Glad to see purp keeps adding features..

Quote:

If they deserve to go to jail, so do many of us who use this board.




You're comparing apples to oranges. No one is pirating video games, movies or music off this website. We are a semi capitalistic nation. Our economic growth is dependent on copyrights and patents. Copyrights and patents encourage persons to experiment and make new things.

People have to be paid for the work they do. Games cost millions of dollars you're blind if you don't see the correlation between piracy and dwindling PC market.The less profitable a business venture is, the less likely companies and persons will put resources into that venture.

Music, games, movies should not be free. It would be the same if your employer if you have one making you work but never paid you for your 40 hour week. I'm not saying SOPA should pass in its current form but steps need to be taken to stop internet theft.

People who steal video games, movies, tv shows, music..etc are CRIMINALS. In our society CRIMINALS are punished. End of story. I'm not a hippie and I don't want to share everything in world. I go to law school. Its expensive and its hard. I put in the time and effort so I charge someone 300 dollars for an hour of my time. Everyone should be compensated for the work they do. The same goes for video games, movies...etc.

Just because it's easy to steal something doesn't make it right. Grow up, get a job, and stop stealing the hard work of others


Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:

Quote:

This website does the EXACT same thing that Megaupload.com does. The admins knowingly allow us all to put up copyrighted material and share it with each other.




Yeah this website clearly allows people to download games, movies and tv shows...clearly. Glad to see purp keeps adding features..

Quote:

If they deserve to go to jail, so do many of us who use this board.




You're comparing apples to oranges. No one is pirating video games, movies or music off this website. We are a semi capitalistic nation. Our economic growth is dependent on copyrights and patents. Copyrights and patents encourage persons to experiment and make new things.

People have to be paid for the work they do. Games cost millions of dollars you're blind if you don't see the correlation between piracy and dwindling PC market.The less profitable a business venture is, the less likely companies and persons will put resources into that venture.

Music, games, movies should not be free. It would be the same if your employer if you have one making you work but never paid you for your 40 hour week. I'm not saying SOPA should pass in its current form but steps need to be taken to stop internet theft.

People who steal video games, movies, tv shows, music..etc are CRIMINALS. In our society CRIMINALS are punished. End of story. I'm not a hippie and I don't want to share everything in world. I go to law school. Its expensive and its hard. I put in the time and effort so I charge someone 300 dollars for an hour of my time. Everyone should be compensated for the work they do. The same goes for video games, movies...etc.

Just because it's easy to steal something doesn't make it right. Grow up, get a job, and stop stealing the hard work of others




In the context of this subject news articles are EXACTLY the same as games, movies, and tv shows. Not to mention artwork, books, comics, and computer software.

I am sorry that I have disagree with you so directly, but you are just wrong. I did not write the law. I do not agree with the law, but that is the way that it is with copyright law.

And I do not agree with your statement that movies and games should not be free because many already are free, both in terms of beer and freedom, and I see no problem with that.

As to stealing... that is another matter entirely as we were talking about copyright infringement.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

For me, it's been years since used the TV, newspaper or radio for a weather report. If I needed to check it since I lost my phone....I guess I'd have to search the TV for the info or turn on the radio. With it being on my phone, I just open and read it. Ok, maybe not the best example....but you get the idea.




This times 1000...

Some morning I think I might want to ride the bike to work, so I'll turn on the news while getting ready. Inveritably it seems I end up using my phone to check the weather because it never seems to come on in the few short minutes between getting out of the shower and getting dressed, brushing my teeth and heading out. =)


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,400
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,400
Quote:

In the context of this subject news articles are EXACTLY the same as games, movies, and tv shows. Not to mention artwork, books, comics, and computer software.

I am sorry that I have disagree with you so directly, but you are just wrong. I did not write the law. I do not agree with the law, but that is the way that it is with copyright law.




Yeah you're spot on.

Everyone is so anti piracy (which is fine) that they are failing to see the big picture here.

I'd love to see what everyones opinion would be when we're not allowed to copy and paste articles anymore.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
I understand the context of SOPA and the other bill. That's why I am against it because it lumps the person who copy's and paste an article with the person who downloads a copyrighted material for free. And it also forces the website to police the site and a failure to do so would put them in legal trouble.

This is why we can't copy and paste articles from paid sites and we have to give the source of our article and preferable a link. If a web site doesn't want you to copy and paste their info they can format the website to disable that.

But I think many can see the difference between d/l the new Jay-Z album from Megaupload for free and someone on dawgtalkers.net copying and pasting Tony Grossi's article about how the browns should select RGIII that was free to view and obtain from the author's website. The people who are in this boat (me for example) feel the laws they draft should know that difference as well.


[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

But I think many can see the difference between d/l the new Jay-Z album from Megaupload for free and someone on dawgtalkers.net copying and pasting Tony Grossi's article about how the browns should select RGIII that was free to view and obtain from the author's website. The people who are in this boat (me for example) feel the laws they draft should know that difference as well.




Anytime the government gets involved, there is no distinction. It's all or none, and yet some people still want the government ruling our lives.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
N
Legend
Offline
Legend
N
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
spot-on


#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:

But I think many can see the difference between d/l the new Jay-Z album from Megaupload for free and someone on dawgtalkers.net copying and pasting Tony Grossi's article about how the browns should select RGIII that was free to view and obtain from the author's website. The people who are in this boat (me for example) feel the laws they draft should know that difference as well.




Definitely, the differences between an album and an article are many, but as far as these laws are concerned, the restrictions around their distribution are the same.

Where the key difference lies is not in the rule of law, but in the selective enforcement of those laws. Lets say that the Plain Dealer decided to go after the message board on clevelandbrowns.com for the articles that are pasted onto their message board. There is no chance that the FBI is going to raid the Cleveland Browns offices or arrest anybody because both parties are backed by powerful organizations.

Now lets say that I had a copyright beef with the owners of this message board. Would the FBI intervene on my behalf? Probably not, as I am not important enough to warrant their attention.

What our government and justice system have consistently demonstrated is that they are only willing to intervene on the behalf of well connected and powerful organizations and against less well connected and less powerful organizations.

The laws function to make everybody a criminal, the enforcement side of the house then functions to give certain powerful interest exclusive access to government forces, which allows them to cherry pick those individuals that they wish to have punished.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Breaking News - "Wikipedia Will Go Dark On January 18 To Protest SOPA And P

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5