Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
D
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/01/cleveland_browns_adding_nolan.html

Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 9:50 AM Updated: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 10:03 AM - By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have added former St. Louis Rams receivers coach Nolan Cromwell to Pat Shurmur's coaching staff, according to a league source.

Cromwell joined the Rams in 2010, Shurmur's last season in St. Louis as Rams offensive coordinator. Cromwell also has extensive experience working under Mike Holmgren in Seattle and Green Bay.

Another connection is that Cromwell worked as Mike Sherman's offensive coordinator at Texas A&M for two years prior to joining the Rams. Sherman is a presumed candidate to be Browns offensive coordinator, but is also a candidate for the vacant head coach position with Tampa Bay.

Cromwell's role on Shurmur's staff may be undetermined until Shurmur completes his search for a coordinator. He may be first introduced as a senior assistant, said the source.

The source said that Keith Gilbertson, a senior assistant in Shurmur's first season, would not be retained by the Browns.

Legend
Legend
Guessing this is a guy Shurmur's familiar with. Keep everyone on the same page.

If this guy can teach our receivers to catch, I'll be pretty happy with that.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No complaints with this, he had some real scrubs to work with in St. Louis and still managed to get production out of some of them (like Amendola/Clayton) before they all got injured. Wonder if Bob Lamonte is his agent...

We're... we're good?
B
Legend
Legend
B
A bio on Cromwell.

web page

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's on the players to catch balls..

Only thing I wonder is if this is laying down the foundation to get Mike Sherman as our offensive coordinator.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i like this hiring a lot. it sort of signals the fact that we are probably going after Sherman pretty hard

Legend
Legend
He was a great Safety. I always enjoyed watching him play for the Rams. It seemed like he was actually in the route quite often, that's how good he was at diagnosing plays.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The WR coaching is an area that needed some attention...either replacing Mike Wilson or as the Browns are doing, adding someone to help Mike Wilson with the WRs.

The Browns had trouble with receivers getting separation from defenders and if a play broke down, at times it appeared the Browns WRs did not know what to do to help the QB out.

I know we like to harp on the quality of the Browns WRs but when a team has trouble getting WRs open, it can also be a reflection on the quality of those "teaching" (coaching) the position...I would think two teachers/coaches should be better than one.

Worth noting, Cromwell was a All Pro defensive back in his playing days...he brings a different perspective on how to teach the WR position. If anyone should know what moves work best against DBs, it would be an ex DB.

...welcome aboard, Nolan Cromwell

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Good first post DHileman. Only took 3 years

I hope we land Sherman + Tannehill. That'd make for a fun time. Even just Sherman would have me very happy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Guessing this is a guy Shurmur's familiar with. Keep everyone on the same page.

Well, it says right in the article that he's worked for Holmgren in Green Bay and Seattle and with Shurmur in St. Louis so, yeah, he's familiar with him LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought our WR coach did a good job. Little, Norwood and Cribbs made great strides throughout the year. Cribbs actually looked like a real NFL receiver by the end of the year. Norwood was coming on until he went on IR and Little improved in every facet of the game.

Cromwell seems like a pretty good hire as well. another guy on the same page is not a bad thing but yea seems like Mike Sherman is a leading candidate.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Well maybe there is a reason for this hiring we don't know about yet. I just know the Rams Receivers production was worse than ours so I'm really not all that excited and to top it off under Shurmer and Cromwell they had Laurent Robinson who amazingly goes to Dallas and studs out. Sounds more like the problems with separation and production is parts player and parts Philosophy/coaching(routes and patterns). JMO Hope he helps, but I am still of the belief that the WCO we use is archaic as Evans said. It's from the 80's and is very predictable. I think we need an innovative mind to take the basic philosophy and add new twists and wrinkles. That along with the experience in it and the maturation of players and bringing in a few new playmakers should help. Maybe they are using the you have to crawl before you can walk philosophy of learning a new system on the run. I understand having guys around you and in the organization that you trust and that you are on the same page with. Hope he helps in some sort of capacity.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I thought our WR coach did a good job. Little, Norwood and Cribbs made great strides throughout the year. Cribbs actually looked like a real NFL receiver by the end of the year. Norwood was coming on until he went on IR and Little improved in every facet of the game.

Cromwell seems like a pretty good hire as well. another guy on the same page is not a bad thing but yea seems like Mike Sherman is a leading candidate.

You are right,, when they caught the ball, they looked great.. however They dropped way too many balls.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/01/cleveland_browns_adding_nolan.html

Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 9:50 AM Updated: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 10:03 AM - By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have added former St. Louis Rams receivers coach Nolan Cromwell to Pat Shurmur's coaching staff, according to a league source.

Cromwell joined the Rams in 2010, Shurmur's last season in St. Louis as Rams offensive coordinator. Cromwell also has extensive experience working under Mike Holmgren in Seattle and Green Bay.

Another connection is that Cromwell worked as Mike Sherman's offensive coordinator at Texas A&M for two years prior to joining the Rams. Sherman is a presumed candidate to be Browns offensive coordinator, but is also a candidate for the vacant head coach position with Tampa Bay.

Cromwell's role on Shurmur's staff may be undetermined until Shurmur completes his search for a coordinator. He may be first introduced as a senior assistant, said the source.

The source said that Keith Gilbertson, a senior assistant in Shurmur's first season, would not be retained by the Browns.

We're reassembling the Cleveland Rams!

http://www.clevelandrams.com/

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Oh Brother! Maybe Thaddeus Lewis can start and Obagnaya will be the lead tailback with Greco starting at Guard! I am not here to bash Shurmer but I posted the link to the Rams thread yesterday when he was there they had the Fire Shurmer thread(No I'm not one of those and there was more than one). The same stuff that you find on here was on there about the 4 yard passes and not throwing down field or going vertical and other things. Then you take a look at a weapon like Laurent Robinson who was with Shurmer in St.Louis and with Cromwell. How is it the guy was little used vertically or at all and he goes to Dallas and has almost 1,000 yard receiving and 11 TD's in 14 games? Could it be because the QB? Sure maybe Bradford isn't of the same magnitude of Romo definately not as experienced. Could it be because they have another receiver to draw attention away? Sure, it always helps to have more than one weapon so teams can't take away that aspect. There are so many reasons. Shurmers offenses have scored over 20 points only twice in 46 games as a Coordinator(somewhere around there). Then you hear guys like Kurt Warner laughing at the Routes and Heath Evans calling it archaic and predictable(Most people agree it is predictable).

I hope we get someone that can seriously develop the offense to bring it up to date, utilize the weapons we have and find the ones on the roster and get something out of them. Maybe after being a Coordinator for three years and a year under Holmgren will help, but the proof is in the pudding. We can blame it on the QB and the receivers and the line, but at the end of the day this is par for Shurmer. I'm not so sure the routes are good, the protections being called are good and the players aren't doing anymore than what they are taught. He needs an innovative mind to help him or to seriously make a leap into the now. JMO

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am still of the belief that the WCO we use is archaic as Evans said. It's from the 80's and is very predictable.

I'd like to think that it was mostly a base system we saw last season, and that wrinkles will be installed incrementally, as the team masters the basics. In a sense, it was the correct way to proceed, in that players can't play a nuanced game until they have a handle on the base package.

I'd look to see much more interesting schemes next year, as the current players get a better feel for the NCO (...AND an entire offseason to gel...)

jmho

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns have hired Nolan Cromwell as a senior offensive assistant, the team confirmed today.

Cromwell, 56, will replace Keith Gilbertson, who retired after holding the title of senior offensive assistant last season with the Browns. Cromwell spent the past two seasons serving as the St. Louis Rams’ wide receivers coach.

Cromwell’s first season with the Rams was also Browns coach Pat Shurmur’s last as the Rams’ offensive coordinator. From 2008-09, Cromwell served as an offensive coordinator for Texas A&M under coach Mike Sherman, who has reportedly interviewed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ head-coaching position but would also be a logical candidate to fill the Browns’ offensive coordinator vacancy.

It would be awesome if we could actually get Sherman to come as our offensive coordinator. And it seems this move might help get him. But even if it doesn't help get us Sherman then I still like the hire.

LINK

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

I am still of the belief that the WCO we use is archaic as Evans said. It's from the 80's and is very predictable.

I'd like to think that it was mostly a base system we saw last season, and that wrinkles will be installed incrementally, as the team masters the basics. In a sense, it was the correct way to proceed, in that players can't play a nuanced game until they have a handle on the base package.

I'd look to see much more interesting schemes next year, as the current players get a better feel for the NCO (...AND an entire offseason to gel...)

jmho

I agree and certainly hope so as I have stated this before. I called it the crawl before you walk approach which is why I think unlike some on here they weren't evaluating Colt or the offense the typical way. I think they were looking at the nuances and things that don't typically an average outsider or fan doesn't understand. You can almost here it when Holmgre speaks..about route depth and line calls and audibles, etc that go into evaluating last season.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
A damn fine hire,this guy has been around the NFL,and that godforsaken WCO forever.
This man was hired on his own merits,and has absolutely nothing to do with Sherman coming or not coming.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

You are right,, when they caught the ball, they looked great.. however They dropped way too many balls.

As was said....at this point it isn't a receivers coach in the NFL's job to teach a guy to catch footballs. That's a Dads job when the kid is 7 years old.

If I was a receivers coach in the NFL and a player couldn't catch, I would recommend we cut the guy and ask who was the goofy scout who thought this guy could be a NFL receiver?

NFL receiver coaches are teaching depth of routes and how that relates to each play.

They aren't talking about putting the two thumbs and index fingers in to a triangle.

Come on! You don't think these players don't know how to catch a ball and haven't been coached since they were 8 years old??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct.

You can catch correctly, or you can't/won't.

This past Sunday I watched too many receivers catch the ball with their body. And most of the time, they bobbled it.

If you're in the NFL - you've more than likely played 7th grade football, 8th grade, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade. Then throw in 3 or 4 years of college ball. That's 9 or 10 years. If you're still dropping passes consistently, you should've been a defensive back. If you don't know how to catch with your hands extended from your body, and WHY.........you don't belong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems like a good hire...Maybe he will multi task.. help the Recvr's and DB's ..Since Henderson went to the Cowboys...

Legend
Legend
My very first thought was that he would be DB coach, because I remember him from his Rams days. I don't know how much defense he has coached since then though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

If he can teach them to,

Win the battle at the line of scrimmage
Beat coverage with double, and tripple moves
Work together in the offense with each other and the quarterback
and Catch passes that are touchdowns.... not turn the ball over, or let it get turned over.
Then he'd be doing a pretty good job as a receivers coach.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Seems like a good hire...Maybe he will multi task.. help the Recvr's and DB's ..Since Henderson went to the Cowboys...

As far as I'm concerned the best way to teach a wide receiver what to do is to teach him what the DB is thinking/doing. I like the hire.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

morg..no doubt, there was improvement in the WRs play, from awful to average over the coarse of the season. Now it may be that this group of wrs is so deficient that it takes two coaches to handle the task to teaching them how to play WR in the NFL..but it was obvious to me, something needed to be done.

I do like what the Browns did...they didn't point the finger at Mike Wilson, the WRs coach and fire him...they brought someone in to help him teach this group of WRs how to play the position at the NFL level.

Those of you who believe a college WR (or any position) comes into the NFL ready to roll, knowing all their is know about being a WR (or any/all positions) in the NFL...YOU ARE WRONG!

Those of you who believe that coaches are not teachers or they should not have to teach college football players once they reach the Pro level...YOU ARE WRONG!

It does not matter which position you want to choose, coming out of college, players have a lot to learn about how to play their position in the NFL. That is why NFL teams hire coaches for every position on the team...because every player has something they need coached up on.

Be it basics or advanced methods specific to a particular offense or defense, there is always something a coach can teach a player...that is why coaches must be teachers.

Be it peewee football, HS, college or the Pros...coaches are teachers and the best coaches, are the best teachers.

Would NFL teams have extensive coaching staffs, to teach every position on the team, if today's college prospects came to the Pros, knowing it all..ready to play the game at the NFL level?

NFL teams spend millions of dollars to hire the best teachers/coaches they can find because there is a need. The kids coming out of college need to be taught and NFL teams need to have a good teachers because learning how to play at the NFL level is so important to the success or failure of every Pro team.

The Cromwell hire should help an area where the Browns were no better than average by the end of the season...the WRs.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh Brother! Maybe Thaddeus Lewis can start and Obagnaya will be the lead tailback with Greco starting at Guard! I am not here to bash Shurmer but I posted the link to the Rams thread yesterday when he was there they had the Fire Shurmer thread(No I'm not one of those and there was more than one). The same stuff that you find on here was on there about the 4 yard passes and not throwing down field or going vertical and other things. Then you take a look at a weapon like Laurent Robinson who was with Shurmer in St.Louis and with Cromwell. How is it the guy was little used vertically or at all and he goes to Dallas and has almost 1,000 yard receiving and 11 TD's in 14 games? Could it be because the QB? Sure maybe Bradford isn't of the same magnitude of Romo definately not as experienced. Could it be because they have another receiver to draw attention away? Sure, it always helps to have more than one weapon so teams can't take away that aspect. There are so many reasons. Shurmers offenses have scored over 20 points only twice in 46 games as a Coordinator(somewhere around there). Then you hear guys like Kurt Warner laughing at the Routes and Heath Evans calling it archaic and predictable(Most people agree it is predictable).

I hope we get someone that can seriously develop the offense to bring it up to date, utilize the weapons we have and find the ones on the roster and get something out of them. Maybe after being a Coordinator for three years and a year under Holmgren will help, but the proof is in the pudding. We can blame it on the QB and the receivers and the line, but at the end of the day this is par for Shurmer. I'm not so sure the routes are good, the protections being called are good and the players aren't doing anymore than what they are taught. He needs an innovative mind to help him or to seriously make a leap into the now. JMO

bout sums it up for Shurmy. stink In St.> Loui and stinks here. Hiring a former DB as a receivers coach will help tham not drop the ball...how?
new moves in 2012
1) still no OC
2)probably no Hillis
3) Nolan Cromwell

I am tingly with excitement

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Come on! You don't think these players don't know how to catch a ball and haven't been coached since they were 8 years old??

Peen, I have to disagree with you here. A lot of these kids got by on pure athleticism because they were just that much bigger, stronger and faster than anybody else at the HS and even the college level. I bet most of them were in college before anybody had a real shot at teaching them the proper way to catch a football.

There are basketball players in the NBA who have raised their free throw shooting percentage by 10 points over a couple year period because somebody finally showed them the proper way to shoot a basketball and they practiced it enough to make it a habit... Tiger Woods was the best golfer in the world and he completely revamped his swing and came back better than he was before...

I don't buy the argument that just because you make it to this level that your fundamentals are set in stone and can't be improved.... and catching the ball properly is just a fundamental, it's a habit one builds playing the game for years and years.. and if it's a bad habit, it can be relearned.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Why do we need to rush the offensive coordinator hiring again?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

BECAUSE WE HAVEN"T MADE ENOUGH MOVES IN 2012!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW FEW MOVES WE HAVE MADE IN 2012!!!!!!!!!! IT'S LIKE THE FO DOESN"T THINK WE HAVE A GAME FOR 9 MONTHS OR SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Because there are some out there and there are a handful of teams looking for full coaching staffs and we don't want to have to settle for whatever is left over when they are done?

yebat' Putin
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Well my money is on Joe Philbin from the Packs. He interviewed yesterday for the Dolphins HC gig but McCoy is the favorite. Philbin fits the system here and doesn't HAVE to call the plays right away ( although it would be fine by me). I bet he's looking to get away from GB area now for a fresh start as well with the recent loss of his son.

Legend
Legend
I don't know about leaving GB for an equal position just to get away. I mean, he's got a team full of players, a coaching staff and a front office not to mention the fans there for support..

leaving just to leave? I dunno. doesn't seem right to me.. But hey, what do I know.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Maybe they let him call the plays here ? Maybe they pay him twice as much ? Beats me.. I see he's interviewing for the HC position for Tampa as well so who knows. Until all these HC jobs are filled I doubt anyone jumps here.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Maybe they let him call the plays here ? Maybe they pay him twice as much ? Beats me.. I see he's interviewing for the HC position for Tampa as well so who knows. Until all these HC jobs are filled I doubt anyone jumps here.

I agree. And, as much as I feel for this man just losing his son, I hope he does not get the TB job because then Clements becomes the heir apparent in GB for their OC job and we lose out on our best candidate.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Nolan Cromwell Added to Browns Staff

Link Copied to Clipboard